Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005

Ibblebibble posted:

To those who have played both, how does the WoW Prot Pally experience compare to PLD? Back when I played WoW it was mostly as Shaman and I barely had any Pally playtime.

If you mean the old school prot paladin "everything takes forever to die and why did I choose the holy life? The holy life chose me" then yes. If you mean the new school prot paladin soloing current content because they're an undying machine of damage mitigation and self heals then also yes, but warrior does it faster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
Now that I'm 64, I need to learn how to be properly immortal as a Warrior

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

G-Spot Run posted:

If you mean the old school prot paladin "everything takes forever to die and why did I choose the holy life? The holy life chose me" then yes. If you mean the new school prot paladin soloing current content because they're an undying machine of damage mitigation and self heals then also yes, but warrior does it faster.

Lol, I main XIV PLD so I know how that works, was mostly wondering what it's like on the other side of the pond. A couple of friends have told me it's mostly just spamming a couple of buttons and being an unkillable bastard.

Tanking in WoW in general interests me, especially Brewmaster which is a super cool concept.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Zeruel posted:

Now that I'm 64, I need to learn how to be properly immortal as a Warrior

Press Raw Intuition every 25 seconds. When you get to level 82 it upgrades to Bloodwhetting, which you press every 25 seconds

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Let us not even hint at suggesting other posters are gamergate types just because they don't like kotaku.

My phone keeps trying to autocorrect that to loyalty.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

biceps crimes posted:

Are there FCs with people that hang out in discord voice chat? One of my favorite things back in ye olden days of wow vanilla/bc was making pals in ventrilo. Everything I’ve experienced in FFXIV has been strictly text though. Not sure if it’s a generational thing or if I’m bad at making virtual pals now. FWIW, I’ve not done much raiding beyond hitting level cap, but I’m trying to jump back in now and catch up on things and see if I can socialize more

the FC i'm in is pretty regularly in VC for raid and dungeons and anyone who wants to drop in to shoot the poo poo is free to do so. but even in a FC with 500 people there's maybe 10 in VC. probably just depends heavily on the culture of the group

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
My little (60 person, 15 regularly active) FC usually has a couple people in VC throughout most of the day. As often as not they're using it for another game but there's a lot of idle chat going on as well.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

My little (60 person, 15 regularly active) FC usually has a couple people in VC throughout most of the day. As often as not they're using it for another game but there's a lot of idle chat going on as well.

Yeah. From my experience, it also varies a lot based on the ages of people in the FCs. My FC is slightly smaller than that (about 40 people, with 8-10 online during prime time) and VC doesn’t get used too often. We used to have a group in the FC that were more active in VC, but they were all ages 19-25. And when thinking back, that’s when I used to use VC a lot too. People use VC for specific group activities but I don’t see many people just hanging out in VC just for the sake of hanging out. But, every FC is different.

Trash Ops
Jun 19, 2012

im having fun, isnt everyone else?

i'm in a bigger fc and we get community finder apps a few times a month, its pretty useful

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Another Thursday night raid, another pubbie dps with a 630 weapon (so they should know better) who stands in poison twice and then leaves, taking enough time we didn't want to sit in PF again before folks would have to go. Dead players don't do dps, especially dead players who die just before a stack marker and wipe the raid! Watch your toes and stop being greedy!

At least we got E4S down with 6, I got a nice looking bow.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

HopperUK posted:

Let us not even hint at suggesting other posters are gamergate types just because they don't like kotaku.

My phone keeps trying to autocorrect that to loyalty.

Thank you

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Cleretic posted:

Well, I guess this really helps answer where the uncomfortably mature stuff in ARR was coming from, and why we haven't seen a single hint of it in recent expansions.

Hey so I understand the implication here is that it's not been in anything since ARR released because certain people in localization are now working o ln ff16 but those people...also worked on all the expansions between then and now that also didn't have that stuff.

Like are you intentionally being stupid about it to try and get a very pathetic own it?

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Dec 2, 2022

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
I thought the implication was that any of it in ARR was holdover being loyal to 1.0 and HW on the writing team moved on/matured

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

hazardousmouse posted:

I thought the implication was that any of it in ARR was holdover being loyal to 1.0 and HW on the writing team moved on/matured

That doesn't have anything to do with ff16 allegedly maybe having similar themes and thus being "where that stuff ended up".

Becauae the localized and writers for 16 are in oart the HW team.

Who also still worked on later stuff and weren't working on just 16 since arr.

She meant Koji Fox because hes part of the 16 team. which is why it's stupid because he was also still the head of localization until EW and he still worked it on ew even when he wasn't the lead.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Dec 2, 2022

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

There were a lot of really grim and edgy background story bits in ARR. It was kind of interesting from a tone setting point of view, but imo the shift towards a somewhat hopeful world (that very bad things still happen in) from HW onwards was a good one.

Honestly the most shocking revelation in the postmoogle quests was the existence of Ratata. I'd done those FATEs dozens of times and never seen her since she was always engulfed in a herd of coeurls or sulking behind a boulder away from the actual town.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
It's not like that stuff went away after ARR either. Look at Yotsuyu.

It's not wantonly thrown around into random NPCs and dialogue.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Exactly. When Bad poo poo is brought up post HW, it usually stands out as important vs every other minor ARR npc being a sex trafficked orphan or drunken back alley lala offering indecent proposals to your WoL (I'm honestly still surprised by that one, lol).

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Thundarr posted:

There were a lot of really grim and edgy background story bits in ARR. It was kind of interesting from a tone setting point of view, but imo the shift towards a somewhat hopeful world (that very bad things still happen in) from HW onwards was a good one.

I agree i just don't think it's a change that happened because certain people left to work on FF16.

I think it's because GoT was the hottest poo poo during the launch era of ARR and that entire project was just trying to do any goddamn thing to make the game land somewhere and not crash and kill the company. And then when the game didn't die immediately they worked on establishing their own poo poo more.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House
My FC doesn't use voice chat much but I ended up in a linkshell where 10-20 people are on voice chat every night

Bruceski posted:

That bow is one of my favorites and just seeing it mentioned makes me want to glam my bow back to it. Currently using Artemis Bow Atma because the blue matches the rest of my outfit.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Bruceski posted:

Another Thursday night raid, another pubbie dps with a 630 weapon (so they should know better) who stands in poison twice and then leaves, taking enough time we didn't want to sit in PF again before folks would have to go. Dead players don't do dps, especially dead players who die just before a stack marker and wipe the raid! Watch your toes and stop being greedy!

dunno how applicable or possible it is for your group, but mine has fairly limited playtime in the week, so once everyone got what they wanted from P5S, we just have someone pf it on tuesdays so we can jump straight to P6S. there's also "taxi" pfs where people ask a kind stranger to queue them into a later fight to unlock it for the week so they don't have to bother with previous fights.

also it is my firm opinion as healer that dps who touch poison should just hurry up and kill themselves now so i can rez them, because when push comes to shove and i have to decide who gets my previous healing resources, the person with the hell-dot that removes 65% of your hp per tick is on the bottom of the totem pole

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Hey so I understand the implication here is that it's not been in anything since ARR released because certain people in localization are now working o ln ff16 but those people...also worked on all the expansions between then and now that also didn't have that stuff.

Like are you intentionally being stupid about it to try and get a very pathetic own it?

i don't think anyone believes that koji fox was constantly hovering over the writers, saying this and that section needs more rape to spice it up, and sure there is the fact GoT was the hot thing at the time. but to my understanding ff14 got a new localisation director after stormblood while koji fox moved on to a supervising role, and there's been a noticeably sharp decline in casual references to rape and sexual assault since then, so, you know, there's that

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

let's all take a second to remember that shortly after moenbryda died, we got a wind-up moenbryda whose description boiled down to "haha urianger made and hosed a sex-doll of his childhood crush who just died", a description so truly awful that after ten years they finally changed it to be not insanely garbage

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
It really stood out to me in some of the ARR class quests when casual mention was made of pleasure barges/sex slave yachts. Seems like the kinda thing the WoL should crash into like a meteor made of angry justice.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Wasn't that stuff during the height of Game of Thrones? I heard that influenced the teams a lot.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

They went quiet because while ARR-era WoL may not have been in a position to personally murder every trafficker in the world, post-StB WoL is and would probably jump at the opportunity.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

a cartoon duck posted:

dunno how applicable or possible it is for your group, but mine has fairly limited playtime in the week, so once everyone got what they wanted from P5S, we just have someone pf it on tuesdays so we can jump straight to P6S. there's also "taxi" pfs where people ask a kind stranger to queue them into a later fight to unlock it for the week so they don't have to bother with previous fights.

Our issue is that a baby and an injury (not the same person) has cut down on the regular people we've got right now so we have to spot-fill. Those of us who aren't running with other groups (whether for time or it's an alt or they just want to fool around with friends and don't care about getting clears later in the week after the run) have one or two P5S clears to our name, it's definitely where we belong.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I agree i just don't think it's a change that happened because certain people left to work on FF16.

I think it's because GoT was the hottest poo poo during the launch era of ARR and that entire project was just trying to do any goddamn thing to make the game land somewhere and not crash and kill the company. And then when the game didn't die immediately they worked on establishing their own poo poo more.

I remember when ARR launched and I saw a lot of people running around with a Stark surname, and I had legit never watched or read a speck of GOT at the time and could only think "man is Iron Man that popular?"

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

https://twitter.com/SOKENsquareenix/status/1598721332786900993?t=780iN3fNP1wn90DvVr4T5Q&s=19

Maybe Spotify will get the Endwalker ost and concurrent future releases with apple...:smith:

If only the suits thought like that

Also, Sokens the best, to state the obvious

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
if someone tallied up all the NPCs who mention being victims of sex crimes, would FF14 have the highest count out of all video games ever made?

Because I honestly can't think of any other video game that aggressively broached the topic as much as ARR did.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I should confirm that no, I'm not blaming Koji Fox for the pointlessly dark stuff in early FFXIV and including concerning amounts of sex crimes. (Yotsuyu is it treated well, but it should also be noticeable how she's basically the only new example of it by that point.) In fact I have absolutely no idea why anyone thought I was blaming Koji Fox, especially given the classification leak that started this was from Brazil, who I assume would not be reviewing the English localization first and foremost, although I don't know. I associate Koji more with bad puns and Simpsons references, how the gently caress did we decide I was attacking him?

To be completely clear, I'm looking at Maehiro, the writer. And it's not really an accusation so much as just an observation that the disappearance of those elements coincides pretty neatly with him no longer working on FFXIV, so it would make complete sense if that was just a 'him' thing. Especially given that XVI, which he's also writing, seems to be veering into that darkness without the excuse that GoT is popular at the moment.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
After weeks of tedium, I finally finished the Moogles and Vanu Vanu. Much as the whole maxing out both of them sucked, I have to admit that the Allied quest chain was actually worth it.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

I adored the Vanu Vanu and I liked the moogles a lot, but the Vanu Vanu suffer especially for their area, and the moogles the unlocking

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Yeah, HW putting two tribal quest lines in the "let's show off flying by creating giant zones with tons of Z-axis navigation" zones didn't do them any favors.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
I'm still not a fan of the actual dailies for the Vath, either (way too much back and forth and up and around and going to the quest counter for a midstep and across the map, and I automatically dock points for anything that uses locations in Mourn), but at least they have the shortest grind of the HW trio.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Looking forward to seeing our little adventurer buddy made the Vath busy quests flow by for me.

Good quests

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The Vanu Vanu quests would've been significantly better if both aetherytes in the zone weren't on the same loving side of the map.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Funky Valentine posted:

The Vanu Vanu quests would've been significantly better if both aetherytes in the zone weren't on the same loving side of the map.

You will spend 3 minutes flying from point to point for each quest/gathering node and you'll LIKE IT

Seriously though why is EVERYTHING of import on the furthest right edge of the map and also way higher/lower on the Z-axis :negative:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Cleretic posted:

To be completely clear, I'm looking at Maehiro, the writer. And it's not really an accusation so much as just an observation that the disappearance of those elements coincides pretty neatly with him no longer working on FFXIV, so it would make complete sense if that was just a 'him' thing. Especially given that XVI, which he's also writing, seems to be veering into that darkness without the excuse that GoT is popular at the moment.
i mean, a lot of the more uncomfortable stuff was localization original though. like the urianger sex doll, or the lines in satasha, those are both not in the japanese. i havent checked but with those two as precedent theres probably similar examples in other places in arr. so it cant really be maehiro, at least not entirely.

maybe its okay for it to have just been dumb stuff a group of people did that they then thought better of without any particular person to blame.

it also kinda sucks how much people are conflating lame throwaway lines that treat it as a joke and characters who actually have it as part of their backstory and motivation in a way that feels like it matters. you can have criticism of how yotsuyu or , idk, the lady in the arcanist quests is handled, but that's pretty different. its weird how much people just treat any mention of it as the same.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Dec 3, 2022

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Endorph posted:

it also kinda sucks how much people are conflating lame throwaway lines that treat it as a joke and characters who actually have it as part of their backstory and motivation in a way that feels like it matters. you can have criticism of how yotsuyu or , idk, the lady in the arcanist quests is handled, but that's pretty different. its weird how much people just treat any mention of it as the same.

I think with ARR especially it's hard to differentiate between 'meaningful and useful' and 'gratuitous and uncomfortable' because there's just so much of it that you stop distinguishing between individual instances at all, let alone how well they were implemented.

I think a big reason that Yotsuyu works well is that, after ARR's really gratuitous usage of the subject and HW's comparatively more restrained but still pretty constant specter of it (I'm not sure what purpose it serves in Aymeric's story), Yotsuyu was the only one in Stormblood. Since it was no longer this gratuitous background noise, she was able to make it a functional part of her story without being lumped in with all that.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Cleretic posted:

I think with ARR especially it's hard to differentiate between 'meaningful and useful' and 'gratuitous and uncomfortable' because there's just so much of it that you stop distinguishing between individual instances at all, let alone how well they were implemented.

I think a big reason that Yotsuyu works well is that, after ARR's really gratuitous usage of the subject and HW's comparatively more restrained but still pretty constant specter of it (I'm not sure what purpose it serves in Aymeric's story), Yotsuyu was the only one in Stormblood. Since it was no longer this gratuitous background noise, she was able to make it a functional part of her story without being lumped in with all that.

People would argue that it isn't a functional part of Yotsuyu's story considering how Hien responds to it is largely frustrating to a lot of players.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
I think that's unfortunate. Just because one part of the story around her is poorly done shouldn't discredit the rest. Especially since it's a part that's not really even about her. It has more to do with Hien's story than Yotsuyu's.