Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I thought it was implied that the flawed super soldier serum they gave him made him a pedophile.
Not implied, no.

Because it was said. That's exactly how they retconned out the uncomfortable pedophile poo poo they'd with which they'd written themselves into a corner they didn't want to be in anymore.

It's sloppy and handwavy and I kinda' wish they'd done a better job with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer

Omnomnomnivore posted:

Remember after the S4 finale when we all thought the show was over because it felt like such a perfect ending?

The best shows are the ones that are constantly on the brink of cancellation because every finale is written like it's a series finale

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
Hate to doublepost but just finished S5E1. Blackface aside, a really fantastic episode. I've grown to realize that my preference of Venture Bro is really just whichever has the cooler hairstyle at the moment - Hank's shaggy hair, Dean's lovely mustache, and now Dean's goth makeover. 9 episode seasons are gonna feel especially short after that 16.5 episode whopper of a season.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

mutantIke posted:

Blackface aside, a really fantastic episode.
What?! That happened? How the hell did I miss that?

I'm basically a machine custom-built to be the wettest blanket ever conceived by humankind about poo poo like that.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Halloween special. Jefferson calls out Dragoon for it.

And Dragoon goes oh you can do white face (cuz he had paint on him) but suddenly I do it I"m racist.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

OH! Right. Okay.

I've even popped off in the Sunny thread, among others, about how "but the joke is that Blackface is bad" isn't actually a justification for using it largely because that's how blackface has existed on TV for decades now, the joke sucked to begin with, and the people who think it's funny and great no matter how it's framed just got to see their awful views mainstreamed and the impact laundered through "but the joke is that it isn't funny and the person doing it is a jackass," so you'd think I'd remember this show did it too.

That's disappointing and I hope they never do it again.

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
I've always been iffy about the IASIP blackface but one thing I do think was unfairly maligned was the Community blackface gag. Shows up in one of the best episodes for one scene and gets it taken off the internet forever and more

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I had to tell him it's a costume party because he simply refused to attend when I told him it was a magic gathering

"Yes, I find those trading card games very confusing"

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Taerkar posted:

Which definition was the right one? It absolutely was Brock's.

Agreed, his is the most fitting

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

mutantIke posted:

The best shows are the ones that are constantly on the brink of cancellation because every finale is written like it's a series finale

Like the other end of how the worst endings are the ones where the makers seem absolutely certain they're getting a sequel. And honestly not even improved when they do.

The whole Rusty and Monarch backstory thing is, I think, meant to be deliberately murky and ambiguous at this point, and strongly implies that neither actually remember what happened very well. It's even mentioned a few times that Rusty doesn't remember much of his childhood coherently- the commentary joke about how he mixes up episodes of The Rusty Venture Show with his real life- and may or may not a clone of a previous Rusty, and thus flat out not the person who experienced those things. Being drugged, possibly brainwashed and in general subject to so many forms of abuse and shenanigans to the point where there's literal Guild bylaws against treating prisoners too badly probably didn't help.

Would add some more to his tragedy if Rusty is so incompetent and unqualified because he literally doesn't remember having the experiences and education that he's assumed to have. And fits with how many characters also don't actually know key things about their backstories- Billy doesn't know how he got the prosthetic arm and is repeatedly memory wiped whenever he remembers, Brock was shocked to learn the Pyramid Wars, the whole reason he was recruited, were based on a lie, Hank and Dean didn't know they'd been repeatedly cloned after dying, and also until recently had no idea who their mother even was...

Is kinda funny given how a lot of the show is explicitly riffing on the conventions of adventure shows, where you have old friends turn up who were never mentioned before or since, random bits of backstory that appear as convenient in similar fashion, and so on.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

mutantIke posted:

That also means nothing can be properly built on and all long term planning just vanishes completely.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

mutantIke posted:

I've always been iffy about the IASIP blackface but one thing I do think was unfairly maligned was the Community blackface gag. Shows up in one of the best episodes for one scene and gets it taken off the internet forever and more
the Chang D&D one? did that happen? I genuinely had forgotten about it but oh no if so, that episode was hilarious

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

LividLiquid posted:

Not implied, no.

Because it was said. That's exactly how they retconned out the uncomfortable pedophile poo poo they'd with which they'd written themselves into a corner they didn't want to be in anymore.

No it was really the only way to handle it without seeming to be sympathetic towards pedos. They never should have made the joke in the first place and it'd be fine dying if they'd left him as a one off. They made it during a time when people had been edge lording so long things got kind of far. That type of joke was everywhere at the time people tried to find the pedo joke (it doesn't exist).

It does allow his character to be washed. It makes the scene where he's out of anti-pedo meds turns the theater joke into a joke about a lack of meds which also makes it more relatable. He also doesn't act on the impulse and does the mature thing of leaving the situation. Rewatch it paying careful attention to his early scenes after joining team venture it's spelled out rapid fire between jokes over several episodes. I still think it would have been best to discontinue the character instead of bring him to team venture. (Hey I'm looking for a job could have been answered with "Hell no!" smash credits) Would have been a good spot for a new character he basically becomes a new character.

There were plenty of fun people at the OSI that could have worked, though I guess most when to SPHINX with Broc.

How do you rehabilitate Hatred better without say making him a clone soldier and that was a different one, possibly an earlier less stable variant. OSI is pretty against cloning.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

DACK FAYDEN posted:

the Chang D&D one? did that happen? I genuinely had forgotten about it but oh no if so, that episode was hilarious

Yeah it got pulled. I understand why, but it was also a very funny episode so it's a shame to lose it for a joke that's over in the first few minutes.

SpiderLink
Oct 3, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Like the other end of how the worst endings are the ones where the makers seem absolutely certain they're getting a sequel. And honestly not even improved when they do.

I don't know, I think there's something to be said about mediocre movies setting up a sequel with complete and unearned confidence. The only one that comes to mind right now is the Super Mario Bros movie.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

AlternateNu posted:

There isn't a single loving Hunter line in the series that isn't 100% pure gold.

Though, my favorite Hunter moment is at Sphinx HQ where he just rips the phone out of the wall to chuck it at that one dork slow clapping.

It's such an amazing expression of contempt through violence, it might be one of the best bits of physical comedy in the show. It also looks like it'd really hurt!

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
WTF? Just found out HBO Max has S5E1 and S5E2 swapped. How bizarre.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Mr. Lobe posted:

It's such an amazing expression of contempt through violence, it might be one of the best bits of physical comedy in the show. It also looks like it'd really hurt!

It is a golden moment, just the whole single act of winding up and throwing the phone and the quiet grunt of disgust and frustration from Hunter.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

LividLiquid posted:

It works with Action Man's own super-soldier serum making him a violent psychopath, (although Rodney has chilled out since) and with comics often going down the path of "The One Time The Super Serum Worked Makes The Government Do A Bunch Of Failed/Imperfect Attempts To Replicate It" like Captain America and USAgent. I think Daredevil had a villain called Nuke (who has the American flag tattooed on his face) who had Red, White, and Blue pills they took to get various effects. The Ultimate comics had pretty much everything turn out to be an attempt to replicate the Captain America super serum or some facsimile of making a 'super-soldier'.

Just that in Venture Bros. there hasn't been a properly working version of the serum yet.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

mutantIke posted:

The halloween special canonically falls in the middle of a commercial break for “what color is your speedsuit.”

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

mutantIke posted:

"Very Venture Halloween" aired before "What Color is Your Cleansuit" originally.

If you want to watch it in actual chronological order. You have to pause "What Color is Your Cleansuit" part of the way through and insert "Very Venture Halloween" before the scene where Dean shows up to breakfast in the black speedsuit.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Nov 30, 2022

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

LashLightning posted:

It works with Action Man's own super-soldier serum making him a violent psychopath, (although Rodney has chilled out since) and with comics often going down the path of "The One Time The Super Serum Worked Makes The Government Do A Bunch Of Failed/Imperfect Attempts To Replicate It" like Captain America and USAgent. I think Daredevil had a villain called Nuke (who has the American flag tattooed on his face) who had Red, White, and Blue pills they took to get various effects. The Ultimate comics had pretty much everything turn out to be an attempt to replicate the Captain America super serum or some facsimile of making a 'super-soldier'.

Just that in Venture Bros. there hasn't been a properly working version of the serum yet.

Or their Captain America equivalent is still on ice. Hatred actually has been compared to Nuke.

Though Rodney might well be the 'successful' version, given a murderous lunatic is probably exactly what you want out of a super-soldier. Does remind me that in the prequel bit in the MUTHER episode it seems implied the psychotropic gas in the tunnels is interacting very badly with the Go-Juice, hence why Action Man is losing his poo poo a lot more than the rest of Team Venture.

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

:wom:
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, the Halloween episode originally aired as a Special and the Cleansuit ep was the 'real' season premiere, which is why it's an hour long. There's another hour-long episode at the end of S5 which is also labelled as a special but serves as the finale for all intents and purposes.

And yeah, ep 1 and 2 technically take place concurrently but don't worry about it- it got mentioned off-handedly in an AS bump during its initial showing but that's the extent of it.

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer

bull3964 posted:

"Very Venture Halloween" aired before "What Color is Your Cleansuit" originally.

If you want to watch it in actual chronological order. You have to pause "What Color is Your Cleansuit" part of the way through and insert "Very Venture Halloween" before the scene where Dean shows up to breakfast in the black speedsuit.

That is so funny, love timeline shenanigans

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

“woah woah woah Rodney!” is such a great line read when he blasts that dude point blank in the head after he jumps on his shoulders in now museum now you don’t

TK-42-1 fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Nov 30, 2022

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe
He was winning the day!

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

Lipstick Apathy
Was the Halloween ep the first time we saw Red Mantle/Dragoon since their first appearance? I remember being so psyched when I realised they were about to become recurring characters; VB has the best old men and those two are pound-for-pound two of the funniest characters on the show.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Or their Captain America equivalent is still on ice. Hatred actually has been compared to Nuke.

Though Rodney might well be the 'successful' version, given a murderous lunatic is probably exactly what you want out of a super-soldier. Does remind me that in the prequel bit in the MUTHER episode it seems implied the psychotropic gas in the tunnels is interacting very badly with the Go-Juice, hence why Action Man is losing his poo poo a lot more than the rest of Team Venture.

The whole flashback scene with Turnbuckle is still one of my favorite scenes because of that, particularly how Rodney's top concern is getting Rusty to safety even if his methods to achieve that are appropriately extreme

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

DaysBefore posted:

Yeah it got pulled. I understand why, but it was also a very funny episode so it's a shame to lose it for a joke that's over in the first few minutes.

It really feels like they should have done for Community the same thing that Disney does with its other old+racist properties: put a disclaimer up front stating that they acknowledge there's insensitive content in that episode right before it plays. Especially since one of the black characters straight up calls the use of blackface racist, the episode itself is already calling it out!

It's especially weird because there's a second D&D episode later in the series and some of the funny bits are callbacks to the first one.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

pablo gbscobar posted:

Was the Halloween ep the first time we saw Red Mantle/Dragoon since their first appearance? I remember being so psyched when I realised they were about to become recurring characters; VB has the best old men and those two are pound-for-pound two of the funniest characters on the show.

spinoff where it's an unlikely team up of RM/D, Dr. Z, Action Man, and Colonel Gentleman. lots of hijinks.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Not today, Rusty. Not today.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Can we maybe not defend the use of blackface, please?

It costs us zero dollars to say "yes, that was bad."

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

LividLiquid posted:

Can you identify a post that was defending the use of blackface?

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

QuarkJets posted:

It really feels like they should have done for Community the same thing that Disney does with its other old+racist properties: put a disclaimer up front stating that they acknowledge there's insensitive content in that episode right before it plays. Especially since one of the black characters straight up calls the use of blackface racist, the episode itself is already calling it out!

It's especially weird because there's a second D&D episode later in the series and some of the funny bits are callbacks to the first one.

30 rock has a surprising number of episodes that were pulled because of blackface. I think 3 or 4? Unfortunately including one of the live episodes they did which had one one bit in particular that makes me laugh very hard every time I see it. A disclaimer before the episode would satisfy most people except for those at extremes. I'd like to be able to watch those episodes. Oh well.

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

Lipstick Apathy

uber_stoat posted:

spinoff where it's an unlikely team up of RM/D, Dr. Z, Action Man, and Colonel Gentleman. lots of hijinks.

I'm convinced we would've got an episode like this in a hypothetical S8 because it's crazy that Dr Z never interacted with Rodney & Horace

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
https://twitter.com/NewSovietPoster/status/1598464708214165510?t=Uoyfxy0Ig6eemVmWoXZW7g&s=19

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

LividLiquid posted:

What on Earth? Who's defending it?

Like the most you can say about that scene is that they gave it to the crazy racist old guy to do because they wanted to clown on him, and had everyone around him mock him for it.

This isn't Canada, buddy.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

30 rock has a surprising number of episodes that were pulled because of blackface. I think 3 or 4? Unfortunately including one of the live episodes they did which had one one bit in particular that makes me laugh very hard every time I see it. A disclaimer before the episode would satisfy most people except for those at extremes. I'd like to be able to watch those episodes. Oh well.

Really? I remember at least once where Jenna wears blackface (two black swans) but I can't think of anything else.

I remember people used to tell me I was silly for downloading everything because I could always just watch stuff on Netflix or whatever, but my media server is the only place to watch a growing number of shows that have been pulled.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Did they really pull the Community D&D episode? No way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Phenotype posted:

Really? I remember at least once where Jenna wears blackface (two black swans) but I can't think of anything else.

Jon Hamm in one of the live episodes doing a reference to Amos n Andy with Tracy is the one that sticks in my mind.