Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

today i figured out my mental faculties are waning

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

TK-42-1 posted:

In spaceballs mel brooks plays president skroob. which is brooks backwards.

30ish years and it never once dawned on me until today.

Username/post combo

Also, holy poo poo, :same:

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

The LIQUOR BOTTLES are out in full force.
MOM is surely nearby.
Until today I thought a "triple double" in basketball was just a cool thing to call a hat trick, like a player sinking three conscecutive 2-point baskets

I was very wrong and now I have a newfound appreciation for the sport

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Dewgy posted:

Little jokes dragging this game down that took me way too long to get:

Hedy Lamarr! She’s a headcrab!

Well eighteen year-old me wouldn't have gotten it but thirty-eight year-old me would have chuckled.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

postmodifier posted:

Until today I thought a "triple double" in basketball was just a cool thing to call a hat trick, like a player sinking three conscecutive 2-point baskets

I was very wrong and now I have a newfound appreciation for the sport

Working fast food, someone saying "triple" or "double" anything is a pain in the rear end.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Hyperlynx posted:

I don't know about differences in how they work, but they do indeed have exactly the same switch layout. I found that out because I stumbled on a company that makes both (as in, actual real ones for the actual aircraft, not computer sim ones)

https://essexindustries.com/products/f-16-fighting-falcon-sidestick-control-grip/
https://essexindustries.com/products/a-10-flight-control-stick-grip/

Huh. My mistake! All the photos of A-10 cockpits I looked at had a different stick

but then there was one with the F-16 stick

So probably it's part of a recent upgrade or supply issues or something. One of those things where I know just enough to be a danger to myself and others

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Phy posted:

Huh. My mistake! All the photos of A-10 cockpits I looked at had a different stick

but then there was one with the F-16 stick

So probably it's part of a recent upgrade or supply issues or something. One of those things where I know just enough to be a danger to myself and others

Who knows? I'm not in the industry myself, so I'm probably more or less in the same position as you. I only stumbled across this information while looking at the Thrustmaster A-10 and F-16 sticks and them being suspiciously similar...

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022
I just learned from the Awful app announcement that I can turn on embedded YouTube videos. I've been just passing over the links 'cause I can't be bothered/am afraid to open YouTube to see what the video is when people don't post a description with the link. I wondered why the forums scientists had not developed this technology yet, but never bothered to check if there was a setting.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

A lot of them will still appear as links because plenty of other people don't know it exists and post a link instead of embedding.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

On desktop hitting the paste keyboard shortcut also applies the most relevant embed tags, although it hasn't been updated in a while so webp and pnjs are wrapped in url tags by default

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Haven't checked the desktop forums in like 5 years, hope I'm not missing anything, doubt it

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

MariusLecter posted:

Working fast food, someone saying "triple" or "double" anything is a pain in the rear end.

I remember when I could pack away a triple with a large fry from Wendys. These days I can barely pack away a regular burger with small fries, the fuckers won't even let me make that a combo anymore :argh:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Failed Imagineer posted:

Haven't checked the desktop forums in like 5 years, hope I'm not missing anything, doubt it

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2920891

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

This is hosed up

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
Having never seen a joy buzzer, I fully believed that if you used it on someone they would get an electric shock. I've learned that it only just sort of vibrates. I have been tricked with a pen that shocks you before so I thought it was totally plausible.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Kevin DuBrow posted:

Having never seen a joy buzzer, I fully believed that if you used it on someone they would get an electric shock. I've learned that it only just sort of vibrates. I have been tricked with a pen that shocks you before so I thought it was totally plausible.

My grandfather had one from when he was a kid and it was the dumbest thing. First of all, the fuckin thing was so big that you couldn't possibly hide it unless the guy shaking your hand did not look down at all. And the little button that has to be plunged to cause the vibration was so small and hard, that it only would work if it were pressed against the bone in your hand; the soft tissue couldn't possibly push the button down in a normal handshake.

When it did work it vibrated hard though, and since it was pressed so hard against my hand bone it really hurt.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

credburn posted:

My grandfather had one from when he was a kid and it was the dumbest thing. First of all, the fuckin thing was so big that you couldn't possibly hide it unless the guy shaking your hand did not look down at all. And the little button that has to be plunged to cause the vibration was so small and hard, that it only would work if it were pressed against the bone in your hand; the soft tissue couldn't possibly push the button down in a normal handshake.

When it did work it vibrated hard though, and since it was pressed so hard against my hand bone it really hurt.

i mean i rarely look at peoples hands to coordinate the hand-shaking (actually that is a lie, im naturally awkward, but i imagine most people dont really look & just use peripheral vision). so if you go in fast, which was probably more common in the olden days when shaking hands was basically mandatory, and hard to establish dominance & get the button pressed, the poke and the buzz would synergize and give people an actual scare?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Carthag Tuek posted:

i mean i rarely look at peoples hands to coordinate the hand-shaking (actually that is a lie, im naturally awkward, but i imagine most people dont really look & just use peripheral vision). so if you go in fast, which was probably more common in the olden days when shaking hands was basically mandatory, and hard to establish dominance & get the button pressed, the poke and the buzz would synergize and give people an actual scare?

Yeah, and I guess when I think of how important it was to have a strong, manly handshake back then, the button-pushing thing seems a lot more plausible.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
It was also dumb poo poo for kids so it may just have been obvious and stupid. I had one when I was a kid and you couldn't trick anyone with it because you would excitedely show it off to them, let about thirty seconds go by, and then ask to shake their hand.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

credburn posted:

Yeah, and I guess when I think of how important it was to have a strong, manly handshake back then, the button-pushing thing seems a lot more plausible.

i had dudes try that on me in the 90s, but my hands are fairly big & wide so even a strong guy had to angle it right or it would just fizzle out. some guy said ~like trying to grab an oak tree without using your thumb~ and i was very flattered

Ironhead
Jan 19, 2005

Ironhead. Mmm.

Not be all "Y'all are loving goons" but do you really not look someone in the eye when you shake their hand? If you don't, what's even the point?

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
I look them straight in the penis, as tradition dictates.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Ironhead posted:

Not be all "Y'all are loving goons" but do you really not look someone in the eye when you shake their hand? If you don't, what's even the point?

I always look at a man's jugs and anus, both at the same time. 24/7.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Phosphine posted:

I look them straight in the penis, as tradition dictates.

I suck their dick clean off their body so that I am left the bigger man

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

the principal in scary movie is principal squiggy because the principal in scream was Henry Winkler

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
ohhhhhh

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Ironhead posted:

You take a quick glance at the hand first just in case there's visible poop streaks on it.

You still gotta shake the hand and lock eyes but you at least know you're shaking a poop hand, now

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Ironhead posted:

*Refuses to look at the hand I'm about to shake*

*Shakes the persons dick instead*

You look them in the eye after you have lined up the handshake to be sure you are actually grabbing the right thing, hth

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

To be fair, a strong firm grip on a dick shows camaraderie and good-natured professional authoritativeness.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

protip: carry a small turd in your palm in case you meet new people

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

but also i like that one goon telling a story about a prank from their childhood becomes all goons shake hands like that

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Huh, I always thought they were for finger manglin'.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Carthag Tuek posted:

Say, would you like a chocolate covered pretzel?

They're a little melty but, drat, are they exquisite

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

It's a twist cap bottle opener, but I guess nuts work as well.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Flipperwaldt posted:

It's a twist cap bottle opener, but I guess nuts work as well.

I usually use my hands

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Carthag Tuek posted:

what's wrong with a little vegemite, lad?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

what's wrong with a little vegemite, lad?

You just repeated him tho?

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Brawnfire posted:

Say, would you like a chocolate covered pretzel?

They're a little melty but, drat, are they exquisite

*Wink and smile*

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
You'd probably end up some place very uncomfortable after eating one of those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I always thought El Greco was a weird name/epiphet for a Spanish painter but never really considered why he might be named that. Turns out he was born in Crete. Thanks, crossword puzzles.