Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I empathize with the whining guy a bit because I genuinely don’t like the story of Ragnarok very much, especially the latter half, and thinking of how many walk and talks I’d have to sit through if I replayed it is what pushed me to delete it instead of just endlessly replaying for the combat like I do with From games.

But hey, that’s triple a gaming. You want the crazy levels of polish? You gotta sit through the corny narrative experience~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thiccabod
Nov 26, 2007

Rinkles posted:

If optional content ends up ruining/diminishing the game for most/many people a handful of vocal goons, than I absolutely think it's a they're the problem, even if because the game didn't force you to do it.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

MechaSeinfeld posted:

Same expect for Sonic Frontiers

I don't care that much about award shows but it sucks that it didn't get a nomination for best soundtrack this year.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don’t love everything about Ragnarok’s story - the whole second act hinges on characters not talking to each other and telling each other the truth and “just trust me!” which is among my least favourite ways to manufacture conflict - but almost all of the character arcs were tremendously successful for me

thiccabod
Nov 26, 2007

Escobarbarian posted:

I don’t love everything about Ragnarok’s story - the whole second act hinges on characters not talking to each other and telling each other the truth and “just trust me!” which is among my least favourite ways to manufacture conflict - but almost all of the character arcs were tremendously successful for me

For sure. By the 4th time Kratos and Boy have their "tell me your plan!" "No, it's a seeeecret!" Argumentit really starts to wear thin. Then it happens 4 more times anyway

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

WHY BONER NOW posted:

I'm playing gow 2018 and just let the kid carry his mother's ashes you selfish idiot bitch baby

gently caress you kratos

No way that kid’s a useless little rear end in a top hat at that point, gently caress him.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the surtr section of ragnarok was a serious misstep. he’s deliberately written to be dry and taciturn but the game’s plot is so rushed and compressed by the end that he pushes it into farce. “you do this. I’ll do that. let’s go to where the universe began, just around the corner here”

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

MechaSeinfeld posted:

Same expect for Sonic Frontiers

Bit sus coming from a poster with a sonic av

acksplode
May 17, 2004

History Comes Inside! posted:

You’ve made it that long all by yourself entirely by doing side stuff, the story path is just over half that length.

Some early side quests were really cool with surprising endings, and they often come with significant rewards or character development or plot background that I feel I really shouldn't be missing. Basically gowr did a good job of giving me FOMO over side content, but a bad job of making the game's pacing work if I try to do most of it. Here's a thought, what if the game was better so that I actually enjoyed its length instead of deciding that I need to start fast forwarding to the end because it's starting to outstay its welcome. I went with TLOU2 as a comparison because that was a 25-30 hour game that didn't feel its length, the pacing was insanely good right up until the last bit.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
tlou2's entire last act was a contrived mess that existed only to belabor a point

acksplode
May 17, 2004

I'd say that was the epilogue rather than the entire last act, but that's what I was acknowledging with my last sentence there

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
fair, i thought you meant "great until the credits"

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

acksplode posted:

Some early side quests were really cool with surprising endings, and they often come with significant rewards or character development or plot background that I feel I really shouldn't be missing. Basically gowr did a good job of giving me FOMO over side content, but a bad job of making the game's pacing work if I try to do most of it. Here's a thought, what if the game was better so that I actually enjoyed its length instead of deciding that I need to start fast forwarding to the end because it's starting to outstay its welcome. I went with TLOU2 as a comparison because that was a 25-30 hour game that didn't feel its length, the pacing was insanely good right up until the last bit.

I think a lot of it is the structure/pacing of the side content. Most open world games are basically a big flat playing field that has been gussied up with mountains and lakes and cities. if you need to get somewhere you can pretty much get there in a straight line. Samey activities are broken up and distributed across the map evenly to give the appearance of variety. These games also tend to have pretty generous fast travel. I know everyone (myself included) is sick of generic open world games, but there's a reason they do it like this since to some degree it can reduce burnout.

God of War on the other hand basically takes the structure of a linear, Naughty Dog style of game and instead of blocking off paths behind you it adds in open world activities to do. Once you are done with the Naughty Dog style part, it drops you off in a a big area to explore, which is cool, but all of the activities are the same thing in the same spot. One area is all lining up your axe and throwing it at balloons, the next it capping off geysers etc etc. Then to top it off, leaving and coming back (to me at least) is super unappealing because fast travel spots are few and far between and getting anywhere usually involves a long boat/sled ride and then often a series of canned jumping segments. So it seems to make the most sense to just try and bang everything out in one go, but if you do that you get to do 12 balloon puzzles in a row and when the thirteenth pops up it's just like "c'mon"

So it's not that the side stuff is even that bad, it's just not fun to get to and every spot is super repetitive because every area is themed around one style of challenge.

I feel like it would have been way more appealing if some things were done differently. Instead of sticking 12 balloon puzzles in the same area, put one in each area, repeat this for all the different style of puzzles. I think the reason the game doesn't do this, is so many styles of puzzle are gated behind story progress and it doesn't want to force you to go back to an area ten times. But that, to me is a problem with how the game handles progression. There's also the option of making the game more fun to traverse, whether it's with fun movement mechanics, or making the game a pain in the rear end to traverse in a fun way ala Death Stranding or BOTW. GOW doesn't do any of those things.

I don't think it utterly fails or anything. As I have said before, I like it and I do think it's a good game. But I do think it's both trying to be a Naughty Dog game and an open world game at the same time in a way that isn't totally compatible.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

https://twitter.com/CallistoTheGame/status/1598458091569569792

ng+/hardcore mode coming in 2 months. not gonna lie i'm tempted to wait until the complete version is cheaper

Sounding more and more like a perfect game to grab the complete version of for like $30 sometime next year. Works for me!

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

veni veni veni posted:

I don't think it utterly fails or anything. As I have said before, I like it and I do think it's a good game. But I do think it's both trying to be a Naughty Dog game and an open world game at the same time in a way that isn't totally compatible.

good post and highlights a lot of what i dislike about the game. there are some parts of the game world i pass by that can obviously be interacted with, but one of my companions tells me kratos (but really me the player) "we don't have what we need for that yet" - ok so gently caress me i guess i gotta ride 4 canoes and a warp gate to get back here later... great.

also does nothing in this game poise break enemies? i could be doing a runic attack and if some goblin behind me decides to stab me then i'm hosed. feels broken.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Ragnarok has extra fast travel points in the postgame, but they're optional go talk to Ratatoskr and they probably shouldn't be or you should be more strongly hinted to go unlock them

ShoogaSlim posted:

also does nothing in this game poise break enemies? i could be doing a runic attack and if some goblin behind me decides to stab me then i'm hosed. feels broken.

Lots of things poise break but not a lot of things poise break anywhere other than directly in front of you and even fewer things give you iframes, so it's far too easy to commit to a big attack on one guy and while you're beating the poo poo out of him some rear end in a top hat runs up and punches you in the back

Also most bosses will get "runic armor" if you go too ham on them, which is where the designers decided your build/technique is too good so they cannot be poise broken at all for a short time

haveblue fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Dec 3, 2022

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Just heard about the GOW TV show, That's God Of War not Gears OF War, which is also getting a TV show. Lol why is the new thing? Hoovering up literally every game IP and turning it into some crappy show. Games make bad movies and TV. Did we learn nothing from the 90's?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

veni veni veni posted:

I think a lot of it is the structure/pacing of the side content. Most open world games are basically a big flat playing field that has been gussied up with mountains and lakes and cities. if you need to get somewhere you can pretty much get there in a straight line. Samey activities are broken up and distributed across the map evenly to give the appearance of variety. These games also tend to have pretty generous fast travel. I know everyone (myself included) is sick of generic open world games, but there's a reason they do it like this since to some degree it can reduce burnout.

God of War on the other hand basically takes the structure of a linear, Naughty Dog style of game and instead of blocking off paths behind you it adds in open world activities to do. Once you are done with the Naughty Dog style part, it drops you off in a a big area to explore, which is cool, but all of the activities are the same thing in the same spot. One area is all lining up your axe and throwing it at balloons, the next it capping off geysers etc etc. Then to top it off, leaving and coming back (to me at least) is super unappealing because fast travel spots are few and far between and getting anywhere usually involves a long boat/sled ride and then often a series of canned jumping segments. So it seems to make the most sense to just try and bang everything out in one go, but if you do that you get to do 12 balloon puzzles in a row and when the thirteenth pops up it's just like "c'mon"

So it's not that the side stuff is even that bad, it's just not fun to get to and every spot is super repetitive because every area is themed around one style of challenge.

I feel like it would have been way more appealing if some things were done differently. Instead of sticking 12 balloon puzzles in the same area, put one in each area, repeat this for all the different style of puzzles. I think the reason the game doesn't do this, is so many styles of puzzle are gated behind story progress and it doesn't want to force you to go back to an area ten times. But that, to me is a problem with how the game handles progression. There's also the option of making the game more fun to traverse, whether it's with fun movement mechanics, or making the game a pain in the rear end to traverse in a fun way ala Death Stranding or BOTW. GOW doesn't do any of those things.

The lake of 9 is the perfect hub in 2018 having all paths branch from it and loop back to it with constant changes occuring to open up new side areas to explore and ragnarock looked at this wisdom that corey balrog bequeathed them and said you shall not pass! And slammed the gandelf staff of sequel bloat down, casting good gaming into a pit so deep it would take three lifetimes of holding up on the stick and turbo'ing circle to climb out

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

ShoogaSlim posted:

good post and highlights a lot of what i dislike about the game. there are some parts of the game world i pass by that can obviously be interacted with, but one of my companions tells me kratos (but really me the player) "we don't have what we need for that yet" - ok so gently caress me i guess i gotta ride 4 canoes and a warp gate to get back here later... great.

Are u playing on hard? Hard mode gives super armor to all enemies

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

veni veni veni posted:

Just heard about the GOW TV show, That's God Of War not Gears OF War, which is also getting a TV show. Lol why is the new thing? Hoovering up literally every game IP and turning it into some crappy show. Games make bad movies and TV. Did we learn nothing from the 90's?

I hate video games now

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don’t even play video games anymore I just wait for the show

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

"Have you played the game?" is going to be the new "have you read the book" except games are stupid.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

veni veni veni posted:

"Have you played the game?" is going to be the new "have you read the book" except games are stupid.

Lol good call

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It's honestly hard to imagine TLOU being any worse than The Walking Dead TV series.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

veni veni veni posted:

Cause Arcane was miraculously actually good

acksplode
May 17, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah that's the crux of it. Naughty Dog's style works great for games where you're constantly propelled forward and not staying in one place or doing one thing for too long, careful control of pacing distracts you from the fact that you're on a guided tour of mostly non-interactive environments. GoWR's more open structure invites more scrutiny of the environments, giving it that staged Disneyland impression. I definitely feel pressure to knock out as much side content as I can when I'm in an area because I don't want to commute back. Getting around is boring but just interactive enough that I can't zone out. It reminds me of the Prince of Persia reboot, which was "open" in the sense that you could go where you like, but only along narrow corridors filled with obligatory joyless make-work parkour so you feel like you're playing a game.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

acksplode posted:

Gowr is definitely too long. I'm at 30 hours with no end in sight and starting to skip side content. The gameplay is fine but not so good that I crave more and the plot so far is a series of chores, there's no momentum to keep me hooked. I only have a sense it's building to something because of endless prophetic exposition about Ragnarok. It's very pretty but that awe wears thin eventually. And since it plays so similar to the first game, there's little in the way of novelty to distract me. Maybe it ends strong idk. Can't help but suspect I could've saved $70 and played TLOU2 for a third time if I wanted a familiar linear AAA experience, and probably had more fun. Less Mimir for sure.

GOW and GOWR are both ~40 hours to see almost everything, ~25 hours for story, Ragnarok simply has more diversity and scale. My beeline playthrough of GOW's main quest was 32 hours, only a few sidequests completed. My thorough playthrough of Ragnarok with all areas uncovered and main sidequests completed was 42 hours, difference being Raganarok's sidequests happen to be really cool and not half-baked, its bosses fun and numerous, and its backtracking interesting and varied. Both games meander quite a bit, both games are game-y as hell, and both re-use areas depending on where you are in the story. Completionists will take longer than 40 hours in both, but I'll even venture that Ragnarok's plat is more streamlined and reasonable than GOW's.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Yeah I'm finding myself doing all the side content in Ragnarok whereas I didn't even bother going back for the Valkyries I was missing in 2018 when I realized the postgame was balanced around Niflheim.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

acksplode posted:

Yeah that's the crux of it. Naughty Dog's style works great for games where you're constantly propelled forward and not staying in one place or doing one thing for too long, careful control of pacing distracts you from the fact that you're on a guided tour of mostly non-interactive environments. GoWR's more open structure invites more scrutiny of the environments, giving it that staged Disneyland impression.

Isn't that also down to the level design? Like some GoW (2018) stages barely try to hide that they're just fancy corridors. The effect on me was a dream-like claustrophobia.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

GOW and GOWR are both ~40 hours to see almost everything, ~25 hours for story, Ragnarok simply has more diversity and scale. My beeline playthrough of GOW's main quest was 32 hours, only a few sidequests completed. My thorough playthrough of Ragnarok with all areas uncovered and main sidequests completed was 42 hours, difference being Raganarok's sidequests happen to be really cool and not half-baked, its bosses fun and numerous, and its backtracking interesting and varied. Both games meander quite a bit, both games are game-y as hell, and both re-use areas depending on where you are in the story. Completionists will take longer than 40 hours in both, but I'll even venture that Ragnarok's plat is more streamlined and reasonable than GOW's.

The pervasive sense that I've played this game before is making the structure more apparent to me. Meaning I'm bored. GoW 2018 kept me mostly in awe and left me feeling satisfied, but with no need to complete side quests or ever replay it. GoWR feels like a replay with a bigger but less interesting story, few new tricks, and more pressure to do side quests or miss out on significant content. It has me feeling fatigued.

One thing's for sure, I'm not touching Plague Tale 2 anytime soon. No more wannabe Naughty Dog games, real poo poo only.

Rinkles posted:

Isn't that also down to the level design? Like some GoW (2018) stages barely try to hide that they're just fancy corridors. The effect on me was a dream-like claustrophobia.

Yeah definitely. I'm taking the level design as a given, the amount of character and environment detail is part of what makes the game stand out, and I think the constrained environments is how they get away with it. Don't think it's a coincidence that the open areas are flat expanses of water, sand, or snow.

acksplode fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Dec 3, 2022

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

GoW 2018 is ~12-13 hours for the story if you don’t do any side stuff, how leisurely a pace are you taking with that little bit of side content to add 20 more hours without getting really in the weeds?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
https://youtu.be/uLtkt8BonwM

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

I know I'm quite harsh and down on The Last of Us, but this actually looks quite friggin awesome

But it makes me lol cuz it's what I always thought The Last of Us should have been instead of a mediocre video game

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Pedro Pascal doesn't seem old/haggard/grizzled enough for Joel but the shot of him will a full blown beard looked good

First episode is going to be nuts!

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

fridge corn posted:

Bit sus coming from a poster with a sonic av

don’t worry ab it

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

This looks doooooooope, can't wait

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
You know what would really punch up this trailer and make it stand out from the crowd? A slow mournful cover of a pop hit

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

History Comes Inside! posted:

GoW 2018 is ~12-13 hours for the story if you don’t do any side stuff, how leisurely a pace are you taking with that little bit of side content to add 20 more hours without getting really in the weeds?

I've haven't encountered anyone who has beaten GOW first time in 13 hours, and I went through that game as fast as I could on normal difficulty without doing much on the side. I'd encourage you to look at your trophy data if you haven't.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

haveblue posted:

You know what would really punch up this trailer and make it stand out from the crowd? A slow mournful cover of a pop hit

Yeah that trend sucks, though its use here is a direct nod to 2LOU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

haveblue posted:

Worlds gone mad innit