Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Yeah the physics of spaceflight in the Expanse make For All Mankind looks like fantasy bullshit by comparison

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Foundation has FTL its already thrown physics out the door with the premise

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I think he’s saying that regardless of physics accuracy or whatever, the action scenes in Foundation are more interesting.

Lol. Lmao.

Aertuun
Dec 18, 2012

They should have blocked those railgun hits on the Donnager with iPads

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

dpkg chopra posted:

I think he’s saying that regardless of physics accuracy or whatever, the action scenes in Foundation are more interesting.

Lol. Lmao.

Absolutely. I've seen plenty of CGI space battles, but never a collapsing space elevator. But that's only one factor. The whole setting and events that result from it is just far more interesting, and makes up for the not as interesting characters.

Charles 1998 fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Dec 2, 2022

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Charles 1998 posted:

I'd rate this show about equivalent to the first season of expanse.

Bro…

Rynder
Mar 26, 2009
This show was terrible and I will not have it compared more favourably than The Expanse. On the scale of recent TV sci-fi it's slightly better than Another Life.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Rutibex posted:

Foundation has FTL its already thrown physics out the door with the premise

Hate to break it to you but...

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

the peak of this show was the space elevator collapse, it was all downhill after that

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Dec 3, 2022

Flux Wildly
Dec 20, 2004

Welkum tü Zanydu!

Can’t believe I stuck through Flatulation - utterly dire waste of my time.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

bawfuls posted:

the peak of this show was the space elevator collapse, it was all downhill after that

The Cleons were the only interesting thing about the show, and they're the only thing that's not at-least-name-lifted from the OG material :eng99: But the space elevator collapse was incredible, too bad it was in the middle of an otherwise terrible show.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Out of Foundation, I, Robot, and Bicentennial man I would put Foundation in the middle. Its better than I, Robot.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

The Baley books are the best IMO, even if there's some inevitable 20th century sci-fi author sex weirdness involved.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Rutibex posted:

Out of Foundation, I, Robot, and Bicentennial man I would put Foundation in the middle. Its better than I, Robot.

I, robot was another clear case of having a movie script for an unrelated property that they wanted to slap Asimov's name on for branding.

They can't keep getting away with this

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

I liked the world building of the series. Sure, we only got to a see a very limited number of worlds and people from a Universe numbering hundreds of millions of unique planets, but places like creepy sinking planet, Trantor or heck, even Terminus and the Desert jesus hiking planet were neat.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
AppleTV has announced they have acquired the rights to Nureomancer, so they'll probably show it the respect they showed Foundation.

Caros
May 14, 2008

ikanreed posted:

I, robot was another clear case of having a movie script for an unrelated property that they wanted to slap Asimov's name on for branding.

They can't keep getting away with this

I'm really curious if that was what actually happened with the foundation.

Because you can tell the cleon parts are, for better or worse, the poo poo they actually care about. They are better thought out, better written and better acted. And given that their cross with the 'main' plotline beyond the first episode is barely more than tangential, it really does feel like they had a 'my three clones' story written up and just slapped the most half assed asmiov bits on to get it to screen.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

AppleTV has announced they have acquired the rights to Nureomancer, so they'll probably show it the respect they showed Foundation.

Is it really disrespectful to adapt a work with an aggressively different approach? I've never bought the idea that the purpose of adaptation was to create a one-to-one copy of the original, or the nearest equivalent of. Seems redundant at best.

That said, different production crews will have different approaches; I suspect that just because both these programs are Apple productions doesn't mean they won't necessarily take the same approaches. HBO, by way of contrast, has produced very slavish adaptations of books -- Angels In America only cuts out a handful of scenes, for instance -- while it's also produced some fairly radical departures e.g. Lovecraft Country. So I don't think your argument translates tbh.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

For what it's worth, the only other adaptation I've seen on Apple is The Essex Serpent, which also departed pretty widely from the novel (though in a better way than Foundation). But I don't think it really matters because all three of these have different production houses, writers, showrunners, producers, etc.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
I've thought a lot about this and the only positive thing I can say about the show was probably accidental.

In the final episode when the Invictus jumps to Terminus and bonks a bunch of asteroids out of the way.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUMSoFt99kI&t=497s

I always got the feeling from the book series that technology was just a settled concept. It was impossibly advanced. So much time had passed that they had even forgotten the anything about Earth and 50,000 years later, 12000 years into the galactic empire, our spaceships actually would just comically bonk rocks out of the way like that. They didn't need to worry about things the same way since Trantor was a giant machine and the Empire was 25,000,000 planets and 500 quadrillion people.

They probably just didn't understand science and it was a complete accident though.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Open Source Idiom posted:

Is it really disrespectful to adapt a work with an aggressively different approach? I've never bought the idea that the purpose of adaptation was to create a one-to-one copy of the original, or the nearest equivalent of. Seems redundant at best.

That said, different production crews will have different approaches; I suspect that just because both these programs are Apple productions doesn't mean they won't necessarily take the same approaches. HBO, by way of contrast, has produced very slavish adaptations of books -- Angels In America only cuts out a handful of scenes, for instance -- while it's also produced some fairly radical departures e.g. Lovecraft Country. So I don't think your argument translates tbh.

When they completely miss the message and themes and general plot so they can have another mystery box with a super special chosen one in a series that has nothing like that, then yea, that's not respectful. Like if someone adapted Don Quixote and turned him into some high fantasy knight defeating actual giants and wizards and poo poo.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

twistedmentat posted:

Great hopefully they get Snowcrash and The Diamond Age too

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Wasn't someone already doing a snow crash thing?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

When they completely miss the message and themes and general plot so they can have another mystery box with a super special chosen one in a series that has nothing like that, then yea, that's not respectful. Like if someone adapted Don Quixote and turned him into some high fantasy knight defeating actual giants and wizards and poo poo.

How is that disrespectful rather than just inaccurate?

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
this show deserves this argument

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

How is that disrespectful rather than just inaccurate?

I dunno, it seems pretty disrespectful to an IP if you're just tacking the name onto your own terrible story for publicity rather than try to represent anything that made the IP what it is.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Phenotype posted:

I dunno, it seems pretty disrespectful to an IP if you're just tacking the name onto your own terrible story for publicity rather than try to represent anything that made the IP what it is.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

twistedmentat posted:

This is a good analogy of why this show sucks. It’s not that they changed things from the book, it’s that they changed it to the exact trope the book was explicitly rejecting

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Rutibex posted:

Great hopefully they get Snowcrash and The Diamond Age too
Isn't Snowcrash in the hands of Amazon Studios?

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Like others have said, its not bad to change things, works moving into other mediums have to be adapted to best suit those mediums. Thats expected and when done well you get The Shining, and when your obsessed with being slavish you risk getting The Shining mini series. It still needs to retain the fundamental base of what the story is though, what the point of it was, or why bother beyond wanting to use a well known name?

I mean if you did an adaptation of The Shining but removed all the supernatural elements and made it about a gang of jewel thieves hiding out in an abandoned Hotel who take a caretaker family hostage and the dad has to go all Die Hard on them... why did you bother using the name and connection to the book? The Foundation series isn't just "oh booo!!!! they condensed those characters into one, trimmed some sub plots, and reworked some backstories, unacceptable!" its fundamentally an unrecognizable story if you removed all the proper nouns used in it, with an exactly polar opposite meaning from the books.

So why use it instead of coming up with original nouns and making it their own original IP? The only answer can be because they know people will go "oh i remember those books, I should tune in", and that cynical use to trick people, when they just wanted to tell their own original story (which they should have been fine with! An original show focused on the cleons would have been a better show!) is what i think is disrespectful.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I'm genuinely not trying to pick a fight here, but I still unfortunately don't get where other goons are coming from here. Like, I get the arguments about making changes to a text to adapt to a new medium, or how a text might be so altered by the adaptation choices that it just feels completely different to the original text, or just an incompetent translation, but still I don't see how it's disrespectful to do this tbh. Maybe I'm just stuck on the word, I dunno.

Like, okay, when Disney adapted Hamlet into The Lion King but threw out half the subplots, changed the ending, etc. I'm guessing people wouldn't say that was "disrespectful" because they changed the name along with it? But then, what about the ways they changed The Little Mermaid, Hercules, Cinderella, Snow White, etc. Stephen King personally found the changes to Kubrik's adaptation of The Shining to be incredibly upsetting, but is the general consensus then that it's not, because the ultimate production is so strong?

Am I barking up the wrong tree trying to find some sort of consistent rule to all of this, or does it just depend on how much an individual prefers the adaptation to the original work?

(I guess, just for the record, while I had fun with this show, I frequently thought it was laughably bad. I guess I just like laughing.)

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Re: Foundation

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/258262904091058176?s=20&t=NXwNJmy-ZTspO7-AXXpwqQ

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Am I barking up the wrong tree trying to find some sort of consistent rule to all of this, or does it just depend on how much an individual prefers the adaptation to the original work?

There’s no consistent rule. Verhoeven completely upended the original message of Starship Troopers with the movie but created a fantastic product. I’m sure he still pissed off Heinlein’s fans in the process but a) gently caress military worshippers, and b) it was worth it.

Can the creators of the Foundation say the same?

dpkg chopra fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Dec 4, 2022

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
I don’t remember much about the show, which says something.

But how did the show duck up the “themes”? Specifically in the actual adapted material.

Not the made up clones or the whatever the lost spaceship thing was

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

dpkg chopra posted:

There’s no consistent rule. Verhoeven completely upended the original message of Starship Troopers with the movie but created a fantastic product. I’m sure he still pissed off Heinlein’s fans in the process but a) gently caress military worshippers, and b) it was worth it.

Can the creators of the Foundation say the same?

Starship Troopers is an interesting example, because you're right, Heinlein was a bit of a fascist and probably wouldn't have liked Verhoeven treating it as so ridiculous. I think the difference is that A.) they kept pretty much the same setup from the novel with the war with the bugs, citizens vs civilians and so on (although I was always disappointed they didn't keep the power armor), and more importantly B.) it wasn't just a cash-in, there was vision and passion behind a very high-quality production, even if it put forward a different message than the original.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Nemo posted:

But how did the show duck up the “themes”? Specifically in the actual adapted material.

“Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent”
― Salvor Hardin, action hero

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Mr. Nemo posted:

In addition to the conversion to action series noted above, the books all but state overtly that they're about social forces that bypass individual decisionmakers.

This season ends with "the empire is evil and you need to fight them with this superweapon" which isn't a direct refutation of that premise, but it's close.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Terminus in the books is a wee bit different than the hardscrabble frontier town in the show. Just slightly.

And thematically, calling that “important” is an understatement.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
That's one of the many things that still could have fit with foundation's themes if they loving used it.

You know, a bunch of academics put into a difficult, challenging place shape a society built on (insert basically anything here), outside forces then conspire to test that society, and they either show a hidden strength of their new society or are forced to adapt.

It reminds me of that early Red Letter Media bit about star wars episode 1. Other than their appearance or job, can you describe terminus society?

Is there a single loving thing to say about it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

ikanreed posted:

This season ends with "the empire is evil and you need to fight them with this superweapon" which isn't a direct refutation of that premise, but it's close.

Especially because in addition to everything else there’s a big point in the books, and which Seldon even explicitly says so it’s not even subtext but text, that the Empire isn’t evil or a net negative on the galaxy. And the Empire maintains positive, if nominal, relations with Terminus for decades, until the first crisis.