Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

A.o.D. posted:

Unless you want to play a map for Doom II that I just made, I've got nothing to say.

Is it a good map? We need some deets homie. I'll play your wad any day bb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

bengy81 posted:

It's a remake of DoomII Map 21 "Nirvana" by Sandy Petersen. Is it a good map? The original decidedly was not. It was ugly, broken, and unfun. The one I made is better looking, was actually playtested, and fun, if a bit of a frantic bullet hell mess. I call it "Something in the way" and it's heavily inspired by Petersen's Nirvana. While not a single vertex or linedef has been copied it heavily references the original with centralized health and resource starvation, more hitscan than you'd like, and a gross joke except that my map has a different gross joke.

Until it uploads on /idgames, you can get it from my share drive: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Jb1pybWkiqcTjyeLbrLlQGhnIvtDDhhe/view?usp=sharing You'll need a boom compatible client, like PRBoom+ or DSDADoom. It's completable on GZDoom, but one of the map features doesn't work properly in that engine.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

bengy81 posted:

For real! Doom was my first PC game, my dad brought it home on a floppy disk shortly after it came out and I was hooked.

I'm mostly unimpressed by big AAA games these days but there have been a handful in the past few years that have blown me away.

Death Stranding was pretty surreal to play during the pandemic lockdowns, but Kojima has always been a master at creating unique, endearing games.

The FF7 Remake was perfect, pretty much every character was portrayed how I imagined they would be in my imagination. I'm glad they kept Cloud as the awkward goofy dude he was in the original game.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Mustang posted:

Death Stranding was pretty surreal to play during the pandemic lockdowns, but Kojima has always been a master at creating unique, endearing games.

I haven't replayed it as Director's Cut yet, but it's a game that just always hangs in my head. Loved it, still think about it.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Mustang posted:

For real! Doom was my first PC game, my dad brought it home on a floppy disk shortly after it came out and I was hooked.

For my 6th birthday I got the worlds shittiest 6 button joystick, Doom, and a compilation disk called WARGAMES that had No Greater Glory, Pacific Islands, and four other games that I was never able to make work.

Very formative.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Mustang posted:

I'm mostly unimpressed by big AAA games these days but there have been a handful in the past few years that have blown me away.

The FF7 Remake was perfect, pretty much every character was portrayed how I imagined they would be in my imagination. I'm glad they kept Cloud as the awkward goofy dude he was in the original game.

Ff7r is lightning in a bottle. I still can't believe how good it was.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Mustang posted:

Jesus, almost 2 weeks and no talk of gaming. Are we just getting old as balls?

Next up is Mario Rabbids XCOM 2, but I haven't gotten to it yet. Detoured to Cult of the Lamb (EXCELLENT base builder / dungeon crawler which y'all should get), but I'm still working through Freespace 2 fan-made campaigns that I seemed to have missed a few years ago. Having a blast with probably my fourth run of the best space game ever made, but about 7-10 campaigns I've never touched or simply don't remember.

Toying around with the idea of a mini-effortpost on how to set all the poo poo up, since I had to trial-and-error some stuff as some of the campaigns are years old by now and don't react well to the updates. Would y'all be interested? Caveat: I'm a joysticker :v:

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Every so often I put down video games. I get in moods where I want to see an actual thing from all my wasted free time. Been hammering my resin printer and air brush setup to finally finish my Warhammer 40k army I started in early to mid '90s.

......and ok yeah also playing Against The Storm and the new Rimworld DLC. These bases won't build themselves.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

IMHO table top gaming counts as gaming too.

I collected and painted both Warhammer Fantasy and 40k in middle and high school. I'd like to get into it again but I'd also like to find folks to play D&D for the first time since I was in third grade. Only time I've ever played D&D was when my parent's friend's teenage son would babysit us elementary schoolers by having us play D&D while he was the dungeon master.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I split most of my time between Total Warhammer 3, and various survival city builders which really scratch an itch for me. Total Warhammer 3 is ridiculously good.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

I have 1200+ hours in Warhammer 2, I'm up to 269 in Warhammer 3 now. Most of it is since Immortal Empires was released lol.

Dark Elves are still my favorite faction, their roster lets you play extremely aggressively which suits my play style. Tzeentch is my favorite of the WH3 factions though.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Brettonia, Tzeentch, Slaanesh in that order.

I like heavy charges, magic, and mobility. Tzeentch I just Flamer everything

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

It's funny because I was a cavalry officer in the Army but cavalry factions in Total War never clicked with me. Always irritated me that I would charge my cavalry into the enemy and I'd try to pull them back out for another charge but there would always be like one model stuck on the enemy that would keep the rest of the unit from withdrawing.

Definitely super satisfying to get in a good charge though.

It's also satisfying to play factions with some kind of corruption and seeing how the campaign map changes appearance as your empire grows. It's why I like playing as Morathi, you get to spread Slaanesh corruption while using the Dark Elf roster.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk

Mustang posted:

It's funny because I was a cavalry officer in the Army but cavalry factions in Total War never clicked with me. Always irritated me that I would charge my cavalry into the enemy and I'd try to pull them back out for another charge but there would always be like one model stuck on the enemy that would keep the rest of the unit from withdrawing.

Definitely super satisfying to get in a good charge though.

Back in Shogun 2 Total War you could hold down alt while ordering them to disengage and they would leave the stragglers to fend for themselves while the main group went full speed towards their new location. I haven't played around much in the Total Warhammer series, but it might be worth trying.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Mustang posted:

IMHO table top gaming counts as gaming too.

I collected and painted both Warhammer Fantasy and 40k in middle and high school. I'd like to get into it again but I'd also like to find folks to play D&D for the first time since I was in third grade. Only time I've ever played D&D was when my parent's friend's teenage son would babysit us elementary schoolers by having us play D&D while he was the dungeon master.

Haven't dabbled in 40k for a long time now, but I still read every novel Abnett and Dembski-Bowden put out.

An extremely nerdy pandemic hobby I took up in 2020 was board games. Jumped into the deep end right away with Mansions of Madness, which a huge rear end box of monsters, cards, cardboard tiles and a gazillion tokens. Very fun cooperative action-investigation-mystery type game, also tough as nails.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Still playing Fallout 76 and Farm Sim 22. Periodically trying out other gamepass games.

Bought Farcry 3 classic edition on a whim on an xbox sale for $3, played an hour yesterday, probably jump into it again this weekend.

Really depends on my mood, and mood lately has been setting up production chains on Farm Sim 22 while making dumb large fields. Thinking about working on the pizza production chain next.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

ive been slamming the yakuza series, beat 1-6 and playing through 0 before i do 7/judgement/lost judgement and get ready for inshin and 8

its been a hella fun series to play through and i reccomend my play order over 0-6 in in order for sure, it makes 0 way more fun

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Finished Prey, it was good. Currently trying to finish Yoshi’s Island for the first time on Switch, still as charming as ever.

Had a playstation plus pass for a few months so gave some other ones a try:
-Tony hawk: as good as ever

-Stray: it’s fun to be a cat

-Detroit: Become Human: I liked it although there are some very clunky android rights being compared to Black rights moments that aged poorly the last few years (why would this society not let androids use human only escalators?), although didn’t feel like a total dealbreaker. And the overall story and exploration is excellent.

-Ghost of Tsushima: I’m sure it’s good I just bounced off it as didn’t feel like committing to whole open world.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
I'm poopsocking Stardew Valley Expanded and trying to fill chests with 999 of everything. It's extremely boring to talk about but a great way to shut your brain off, which is all I want from gaming now

bengy81
May 8, 2010

GD_American posted:

I'm poopsocking Stardew Valley Expanded and trying to fill chests with 999 of everything. It's extremely boring to talk about but a great way to shut your brain off, which is all I want from gaming now

I usually have a "big" game that I'm slowly progressing through (rdr2), but otherwise my solo gaming time is taken up primarily by Guild Wars 2, because it meets the same requirement for me.
Been playing a bit of Fortnite with my kid and my nephew, zero build mode is pretty cool.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

GD_American posted:

just started an expanded run last week myself

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Finished Prey, it was good.

Now play Mooncrash. It's Prey ^ 2

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

A.o.D. posted:

It's a remake of DoomII Map 21 "Nirvana" by Sandy Petersen. Is it a good map? The original decidedly was not. It was ugly, broken, and unfun. The one I made is better looking, was actually playtested, and fun, if a bit of a frantic bullet hell mess. I call it "Something in the way" and it's heavily inspired by Petersen's Nirvana. While not a single vertex or linedef has been copied it heavily references the original with centralized health and resource starvation, more hitscan than you'd like, and a gross joke except that my map has a different gross joke.

Until it uploads on /idgames, you can get it from my share drive: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Jb1pybWkiqcTjyeLbrLlQGhnIvtDDhhe/view?usp=sharing You'll need a boom compatible client, like PRBoom+ or DSDADoom. It's completable on GZDoom, but one of the map features doesn't work properly in that engine.

I'm an idiot and forgot to include the actual .wad in the .zip file. That has been fixed.

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

Darktide iz gud. Very smash. Bad people go splat.

Edit: Sometimes hat very big.

Further edit, holy poo poo its December.

Steezo fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Dec 5, 2022

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005
Stained, dirty, smells like weed, possibly a relic from the sixties.

I think I might be getting into Star Wars: Squadrons, getting dim flashbacks to X-wing vs TIE here. I'm a total sucker for these kinds of games (somebody said Freespace 2 earlier, and damnit if I didn't go look at, and be sorely tempted by, what the modding community has been up to lately). If there's anything holding back my enjoyment, it's just how floaty the controls are with m+kb, though that might just be because my memories of Freelancer are still freshish. Still has me weighing the cost/benefits of digging out and finding space for my HOTAS setup.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Suntan Boy posted:

I think I might be getting into Star Wars: Squadrons, getting dim flashbacks to X-wing vs TIE here. I'm a total sucker for these kinds of games (somebody said Freespace 2 earlier, and damnit if I didn't go look at, and be sorely tempted by, what the modding community has been up to lately). If there's anything holding back my enjoyment, it's just how floaty the controls are with m+kb, though that might just be because my memories of Freelancer are still freshish. Still has me weighing the cost/benefits of digging out and finding space for my HOTAS setup.

It was worth breaking out the HOTAS for that game. I miss it, but it fell out of everyone’s attention about the same time the devs moved on and stopped patching it. That time was after all the boost exploits/borderline glitches were known.

Remember Rogue One at Scarif, where the X-Wing approached an ISD from approximately 11o’clock and took out the shield generator? That move is possible in Squadrons, just make sure you’re under the shield before firing your weapons :getin:

This scene:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-MkYpRO-cU&t=112s

My other favorite builds for ship destruction were all-ion stealth interceptors. Stealth hull, cloaking device, and whichever of the ion ordnance you didn’t need a lock to fire. Skirt the boundary at the top of the map where people never look for anyone, dive behind the engines of the ISD, and unload into the power generator with everything you’ve got. Should take care of it in one pass.

Against the MC-75, you could do something similar with an interceptor, but you’re diving straight down the ventral spine (towards where the command deck is), looking for their power generator. It was always a tougher kill than the ISD version, the window to fire is narrower and your number of approach angles is wayyy smaller.

Either way, once you pull it off you can fly away cackling like Blue Leader after acing an ATAT.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r58E1NHk_w4&t=115s

Icon Of Sin fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Dec 6, 2022

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Get a little bit hype

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdXMsRiEesM&t=9s

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

I'm apparently getting a PS5 for Christmas, despite our keep-it-simple agreement this year. Anything worth getting besides Horizon Forbidden West?

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Death Stranding Directors cut, Elden Ring, and Ghost of Tsushima are great on PS5. Witcher 3 will also have a remastered version on PS5 next week.

God of War Ragnarok is great too, but mainly for the story and graphic quality. The combat is good but the rest of the gameplay feels dated.

Still lots of great PS4 games too, if you've never had one of those before.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Goddamn. DS was so, so good.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

yeah death stranding for sure, it'd play fantastic on ps5. other than that in terms of exclusives its slim pickings.

also yeah anything you missed out on for ps4, which has a pretty decent library available. if you already have a ps4 you can stream the ps5 gameplay to it on a second tv or something.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

just know with death stranding you're supposed to not understand anything for the first 6-8 hours on purpose. its a slow burn of a game but just some incredible visuals and acting

also kojima made easy mode for his assistant. She's supposedly so bad at games that she cant even beat a board of pac man. Kojima made it easy enough for her to beat.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

I haven't played an Armored Core game since Armored Core 2 in the very early 00's, but From Software does know how to make cool mech trailers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlH3L6nmKVM

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Kojima hits me in that same weird dead spot as Tig Notaro or Sriracha. People whose opinion I generally respect seem to love them, but I don't understand the appeal, like at all.

I have a PS4 so the only things I'd be looking for are games I didn't already have.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Final Fantasy VII Remake is also amazing on PS5, very impressive visually.

FFVII was my first RPG way back in the 90s, the remake perfectly creates these characters and setting the way I imagined them in my mind with better graphics and voice acting.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Nuclear Tourist posted:

I haven't played an Armored Core game since Armored Core 2 in the very early 00's, but From Software does know how to make cool mech trailers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlH3L6nmKVM

lmao a mech sized SPAS-12, hell yeah.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

GD_American posted:

Kojima hits me in that same weird dead spot as Tig Notaro or Sriracha. People whose opinion I generally respect seem to love them, but I don't understand the appeal, like at all.

I have a PS4 so the only things I'd be looking for are games I didn't already have.

i get it

i can say that if you were gonna jump into a kojimmer, death stranding would be the best one simply because theres no backstory to know

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Mustang posted:

Final Fantasy VII Remake is also amazing on PS5, very impressive visually.

FFVII was my first RPG way back in the 90s, the remake perfectly creates these characters and setting the way I imagined them in my mind with better graphics and voice acting.

The fact that they managed to expand on all the areas in a way that felt true to the game was beyond belief

i can't recommend it enough

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

dammit. I'm 100% hyped. worth finishing DS1? Was Fragile featured heavily in the story ending? I got maybe halfway through but then the story got weird and tedious. I enjoyed completing constructions around areas though.

maybe I should just watch youtube trailers of the ending

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

just finish it, it gets crazier and worth watching just for Mads being mad