Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

i would be mortified to admit I gamed on a Mac tbh

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Quantum of Phallus posted:

i would be mortified to admit I gamed tbh

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

(MGS:V was surprisingly serviceable via bootcamp)

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

American McGay posted:

(MGS:V was surprisingly serviceable via bootcamp)

I’m not gonna stop telling people to play Hades or Disco Elysium until everybody plays Hades and Disco Elysium

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I play real video games on my TV with a controller.

Criss-cross
Jun 14, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

American McGay posted:

Yes, simple video games on a TV.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

I have found macs to be the best platform for gaming

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

I'm still pleasantly surprised how well my M1 Air runs FFXIV, even though it's running through an emulation layer and I have to use a third party launcher. I would love to see how well it runs with a Mac native client, but SE really dropped the ball and basically abandoned their official Mac client recently and I don't think that's ever going to happen.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

American McGay posted:

in a big bed, with my wife

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Ok Comboomer posted:

in a big bed, with my wife

I do this, too, but with my Steam Deck running games either natively or streaming them from the PC in the other room. :v:

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Ok Comboomer posted:

I’m not gonna stop telling people to play Hades

Wow, I bought a Mac Studio last month and wrote off games entirely after CK3 ran like such crap, but Hades runs great. What the hell, Paradox?

(e: Oh huh, they added Vulkan rendering this week. I don't know what that is but CK3 runs much better now.)

Tayter Swift fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Dec 3, 2022

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I'm a Linux gamer now. Steam Deck is tight and I'll upgrade to the OLED version as soon as its released.

It's also great for PS5 remote play. I could remote play from my gaming PC but meh. I doubt I'll ever upgrade GPU because I'm too cheap and would rather buy a Steam Deck + PS5 + Series X + Switch for the price of a 4090.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Dec 4, 2022

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

I have found macs to be the best platform for gaming

wtf

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Tayter Swift posted:

Wow, I bought a Mac Studio last month and wrote off games entirely after CK3 ran like such crap, but Hades runs great. What the hell, Paradox?

(e: Oh huh, they added Vulkan rendering this week. I don't know what that is but CK3 runs much better now.)

Vulkan is a graphics API like DirectX, Metal, and OpenGL. It's what developers use to tell the computer what/how to render graphics.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I saw the other say that there's Apple Silicon OpenJDK so I assume Minecraft runs pretty well now.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Mac Hardware - Wow, Hades Runs Great On My $3,200 Machine

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

American McGay posted:

Mac Hardware - Wow, Hades Runs Great On My $3,200 Machine

* At 1080p

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

why does apple not sell any display port cables on their site? do they just hate display port?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

American McGay posted:

Mac Hardware - Wow, Hades Runs Great On My $900 Machine

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
God drat, Apple says they'll pay £325 for my 2020 intel Air (i7, 16GB, 500GB, ~£1650 purchase iirc). For once I feel like I'm ripping them off.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Ok Comboomer posted:

You’re not gonna play Elden Ring on one any time soon, but if you have a big and diverse Steam library on PC then probably a fairly significant portion of that library already runs well enough on a new MacBook to make it worth your while.
yes, this is all my point was. the way things were being phrased, it implied things like elden ring could work well on a Mac machine, and that is frankly not the case. it is far behind Linux and Windows right now.

i agree that i play games on my mac all the time. twilight struggle, for example, and retro games. but that's not the same thing. seems dishonest to suggest the one is all! i love my m1maxbook :) but i do wish even loving paradox games could run on it

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Waifu Radia posted:

yes, this is all my point was. the way things were being phrased, it implied things like elden ring could work well on a Mac machine, and that is frankly not the case. it is far behind Linux and Windows right now.

i agree that i play games on my mac all the time. twilight struggle, for example, and retro games. but that's not the same thing. seems dishonest to suggest the one is all! i love my m1maxbook :) but i do wish even loving paradox games could run on it

this thread is a twilight struggle

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Kibner posted:

Vulkan is a graphics API like DirectX, Metal, and OpenGL. It's what developers use to tell the computer what/how to render graphics.

Yeah I get that much, I'd just never heard of it. Only OpenGL, DX and Metal. And that old rear end one for the Voodoo cards, Glide or whatever.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Waifu Radia posted:

I feel like I’m missing a joke, because almost every game I play regularly is a Paradox title and they’re all running fine.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Tayter Swift posted:

Yeah I get that much, I'd just never heard of it. Only OpenGL, DX and Metal. And that old rear end one for the Voodoo cards, Glide or whatever.

It is basically the dx12-equivalent successor to OpenGL. It's not particularly widespread for similar and more reasons as dx12 (when compared to dx11) but, in general, it allows easier, lower level access to the hardware.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Baronash posted:

I feel like I’m missing a joke, because almost every game I play regularly is a Paradox title and they’re all running fine.

there's a known thing where ck3, vicky 3, etc. run at 15 fps if you're lucky on M1 Max Macs. EU4 just runs worse than on windows by a large margin, which makes playing w/mods undoable there too. it is bad

e: oh maybe it is better after whatever update added Vulkan? i'll give it a try sometime this week with vicky 3 then, when i tried vicky 3 on launch it was unplayable

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Waifu Radia posted:

there's a known thing where ck3, vicky 3, etc. run at 15 fps if you're lucky on M1 Max Macs. EU4 just runs worse than on windows by a large margin, which makes playing w/mods undoable there too. it is bad

e: oh maybe it is better after whatever update added Vulkan? i'll give it a try sometime this week with vicky 3 then, when i tried vicky 3 on launch it was unplayable

Try it in a parallels VM or using crossover too.

Breadnought
Aug 25, 2009

Waifu Radia posted:

I just tried CK3 with Vulkan on my M1 Pro 14 and it runs pretty well. You have to switch to Vulkan in the settings, don't be confused like I was if it's still running like crap after you update.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Breadnought posted:

I just tried CK3 with Vulkan on my M1 Pro 14 and it runs pretty well. You have to switch to Vulkan in the settings, don't be confused like I was if it's still running like crap after you update.

Ok maybe this was the issue I was having on my M1. It was running like absolutely crap and I just kinda gave up on it.

Stellaris seems to run pretty drat ok though

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I think I'll see if the M2 goes down in price at all during xmas, if so I'm going to get midnight, 8-core GPU, 16 GB ram, either 256 or 512 (though I still do fine with just 128 so prob the former). I can get an academic discount at least, so right now 1299 with the dual usb-c adapter

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Dec 5, 2022

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you
My M2 MBA just arrived. Looks svelte and feels lighter than expected. I ordered a shell case because I saw that the midnight color attracts fingerprints and scratches easily.

I also got a keyboard cover, but I read somewhere that it's a bad idea because the tolerances are so small that it could end up damaging the screen when closed. Is that a real concern?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

T Zero posted:

I also got a keyboard cover, but I read somewhere that it's a bad idea because the tolerances are so small that it could end up damaging the screen when closed. Is that a real concern?

I think so yeah. I know it’s real tight on my m1 MBP

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

doesn't getting a shell case kind of defeat the point of getting that color?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

actionjackson posted:

doesn't getting a shell case kind of defeat the point of getting that color?

Not if it’s clear! :eng101:

Fleedar
Aug 29, 2002
RARRUGHH!!
Lipstick Apathy
I remember reading that this was a fairly common issue months ago, but when I plug an SD card into my 14" MBP I have to reseat it several times before macOS mounts it, and some cards it just refuses to see period. I've started carrying around an external reader which never has an issue. I don't know if this is a hardware or software issue, but is there a way to force macOS to refresh the slot or something?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

actionjackson posted:

I think I'll see if the M2 goes down in price at all during xmas, if so I'm going to get midnight, 8-core GPU, 16 GB ram, either 256 or 512 (though I still do fine with just 128 so prob the former). I can get an academic discount at least, so right now 1299 with the dual usb-c adapter

I’ve seen a couple deals on M2 Airs here and there but only from 3rd party retailers and they only stock the base 8gb configs.

B&H or Adorama are the only ones stocking BTO configs afaik

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

T Zero posted:

My M2 MBA just arrived. Looks svelte and feels lighter than expected. I ordered a shell case because I saw that the midnight color attracts fingerprints and scratches easily.

Hope you don’t scratch up the finish with that shell case!

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

MarcusSA posted:

Not if it’s clear! :eng101:

is this issue only with midnight, or all colors?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

actionjackson posted:

is this issue only with midnight, or all colors?

the other colors just act like the same finishes macbooks have had for a while (daylight is kind of a hybrid gold-silver), but the midnight has a reputation for being a particular fingerprint magnet (just like the black polycarb before it)