Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

OwlFancier posted:

Whereas with the later scaling approach I get lots of little nice finds throughout each playthrough and they're often randomly generated, so I never know what I'll get each time through. I would certainly say the vanilla dungeon rewards in skyrim leave a lot to be desired, and there are mods that add much more interesting progression with skills and items, but I do still prefer the general approach of having a wide pool of incremental improvements to scatter through a playthrough at random.

I would prefer always to have the feeling of being at risk when exploring and always the possibility of finding something better, whereas if I already found the +10 sword of ultimate daedric murder then I feel significantly less threatened and also less capable of being rewarded for my time, which spoils the fun a bit for me. Good dungeon design can help with this as figuring out the mystery of a place (that dwemer ruin south of firewatch has a room with some sort of lock I have not figured out, for example, unsure if there is a quest or clue I have not found) is a good motivator, but the constant chase between power and challenge helps a lot too.

I mostly feel the same way, but I also think that approach can break down really fast and start to feel like I'm just pulling the arm on a slot machine conveniently located at the end of each dungeon.

I wonder if it would be possible to support a sort of randomizer-lite system where rich merchants will always have something cool, but not always the exact same backstock of enchanted items. Dungeon A will have the secret room with the Ultra Doom Gauntlets in one playthrough, but then in the next a different dungeon will contain a different hidden item and Dungeon A is normal.

Then again I don't really approach these games from a replay value perspective in the first place...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Babe Magnet posted:

that's fuckin' tight

always loved that guy, but I never saved him, because I loved his scrolls more

Is there more of that sort of thing in TR?

yes

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

mbt posted:

if you save tarhiel by casting slowfall or levitate on him, he goes back to his old ebonheart home

:2monocle:

i have a similar route at the start. sword of white woe sells for 7500. i used it to buy out all of the soul gems at the Mages' Guild to make a minimum strength levitation belt

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Other weird mod that people might like if they're doing a lot of small enchantments, this one adds a bunch of really minor CE items, some slightly more game breaking than others (CE 15pts nighteye great, CE levitate 5pts slightly more broken) so using the version that doesn't add the items to the loot tables might be in order depending on your playstyle since the ones in the added shop are pretty low key. It also adds the most fabulous shoes I've ever seen in a MW mod. There's an questline as well, but I can't tell how well it works since last time I tried it I got to a point where it said to get a McGuffin, but gave no indication of where to start looking for it, so I got distracted and wandered off. It has some functionality for visible necklaces that I've never used, mostly I keep installing it because the shoes are great, and having a CE night eye belt goes a long way towards fixing whatever bullshit I've set up for lighting. Also offers an alternative for the boots of blinding speed should you ever decide it would be really nice to get that slot back.

https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/36711

Gondolier's license from earlier since I'm posting links:

https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/46731

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
I'm insane and just bought a leather bound copy of the 36 Lessons

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

ContinuityNewTimes posted:

:blessed:

i hope it's nice and you enjoy having it

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
It looks absolutely sick in pictures and I look forward to it arriving some time in the next 6 months, royal mail permitting.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

ContinuityNewTimes posted:

Out of curiosity where does one find that?

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

FreudianSlippers posted:

Out of curiosity where does one find that?

https://ko-fi.com/cattleabduction/shop

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Just bought a lottery ticket.

If I win I'm buying that.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I never knew until now there was an axe in Seyda Neen.

Comrade Blyatlov fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Dec 3, 2022

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I never knew until now there was an axe in Seyda Neen.

I've been playing morrowind for literally 20 years and also found out about it this year

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Is that like the named sword that's just sitting under a bed or something?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

FreudianSlippers posted:

You can see a timelapse of how he makes them on his youtube channel too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rB8W6SeGXKQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9QeDjvuAJE

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

HootTheOwl posted:

Fargoth can't stop getting hosed over on

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

That white tool is a bone folder and is supposed to be carved from actual bone NOT bullshit plastic this seems extremely suspect after only 7s in

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

SniperWoreConverse posted:

That white tool is a bone folder and is supposed to be carved from actual bone NOT bullshit plastic this seems extremely suspect after only 7s in

What clues you in to know that it's not bone?

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Come in man... I have to spend money on pessents for other people right now

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Yo, that is some craftwork. 👀

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

kazr posted:

Surely... Santa can get you one of these

CattleAbduction
Dec 5, 2022

FreudianSlippers posted:

Good luck.

Schwarzwald posted:

Yo, that is some craftwork. 👀
Thank you

kazr posted:

Sometimes you have to be selfish!

There will be a giveaway on Rotten Deadite's stream on the 10th of December. I'll also giveaway one copy some time in the future.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

HootTheOwl posted:

nah it's just a steel sparkaxe or something in a tree stump, it's not gamebreakingly good

Happy Underpants
Jul 23, 2007
So is the bone folder bone or plastic? Huh? Huh??

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

CattleAbduction posted:

Good luck.

Thank you

Sometimes you have to be selfish!

There will be a giveaway on Rotten Deadite's stream on the 10th of December. I'll also giveaway one copy some time in the future.

I'm very excited about my purchase, you rule

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

What clues you in to know that it's not bone?

drunk posting tbh. It's pretty well together and a cool af book.

I use a saw instead of an awl, make my own glue, and have basically none of the actual specialized tools like that leather thinning razor & don't bother guillotining the edges. Can't honestly criticize but i do think that for this kind of stuff i would want to be using the cutoffs for hide glue or using plant resin. Archival papers & inks & stuff like that. Some of that stuff looks like it may not be archival grade but it's not like i can read the bottles. If i was doing it i'd probably make an awl and do it almost exactly the same except for some changes in materials & would be tempted to try and figure out a way to bind each sermon individually in a cool non-assinine way -- each sermon is only a few pages or 1 page but they're depicted as big tomes so clearly you need to use ye olde gigantic font style and fat margins, which seems kind of what's going on here already. I can't read the paper's grain direction either, that's something to watch out for and going in the wrong direction will gently caress up long term durability, & i'm gonna assume that's right.

they're also , what the gently caress are you going to do with this 30 pixel pos? Probably what i would do is dig thru some lores to see if there's anything mentioned about how dunmer do their books and try to follow that. Like this is probably some kind of vegetable tan and that leather seems like it might not be idk. It almost seems like they used some resist while tanning so that the beige part doesn't get dyed, which is kind of nuts and would take a lot of effort to make sure it lines up and all that kinda poo poo.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

...and furthermore, are we even sure that this person is using genuine netch leather? Are the racer plumes used in the inking fresh or have they been properly seasoned?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
You would want guar instead of netch i think. Need to take the plumes & stab the root end into a container of heated sand to harden them, then use a fine knife to shape the point & add the groove so that ink can wick in. The plume part is best stripped off, it looks fancy but isn't more than a pain in the rear end imo.

I wouldn't be shocked to find that "paper" in morrowind is actually some kind of papyrus tbh. Nords would have parchment I bet, but a lot of cyrodil & mw is really hot and humid & you don't want it to rot. Maybe they have actual paper idk. Paper would probably work well in the parts of mw that are dryer or cooler, and as long as you can keep the humidity OK parchment can still be fine.

Hand scribing is a huge pain in the rear end & is for sure a whole extra job not directly related to the binding.

The actual irl book is incredibly rad & would 💯 be worth getting even if it was pricy.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Tamriel needs to have a scientific revolution so I can get more arcanum style bullshit. Dwemer aren't enough.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Guildenstern Mother posted:

Dwemer aren't enough.

The Dwemer agreed and look where it got them.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Transcendence?

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Your guess is as good as mine!

CattleAbduction
Dec 5, 2022

Happy Underpants posted:

So is the bone folder bone or plastic? Huh? Huh??

Honestly, no idea. I've bought it a long time ago, it was inexpensive, so might be plastic, I don't care as long as I does its job.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

aniviron posted:

Your guess is as good as mine!

I say they hosed up and botched it. What evidence do I have for this? Well, you don't see Anumidium ruling the world as a living god, do you?

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

You don't see a lot of the nine, either.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

aniviron posted:

You don't see a lot of the nine, either.

Sure you do, on the Imperial Cult quests and in Ghostgate.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

super sweet best pal posted:

I say they hosed up and botched it. What evidence do I have for this? Well, you don't see Anumidium ruling the world as a living god, do you?

Not this one, who knows where they went, he could be living it up on some weird plane. Nirn isn't as trendy as it used to be, gotta move with the times

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

It's here, it owns

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

How thick is that bad boy

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
There's like an inch of actual pages in there and the cover is pretty thick

Adbot