Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

adnam posted:

It's funny i was so annoyed at your post I found a nearby bottle of Rare Breed and now am spending my lunchtime hour picking it up :hfive:

Helll yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
I got a Coravin kit for really cheap on black friday and it's pretty sweet. Now I don't have to feel bad about buying a bottle of wine for a cocktail because it won't go bad after I don't use 90% of it in a week or two :unsmith:

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Anyone have any fun ideas for an averna and Mr. Black cocktail? Maybe bourbon, equal parts of each and then a.splash of dry Curacao?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

My rum collection now comprises:
Smith & Cross
Doctor Bird
Denizen
El Dorado 12 Year
Barbancourt 5 Star
Plantation 5 Year

:getin:

Also is it bad that I tried Kraken and it's actually half-decent in certain cocktails?

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

My rum collection now comprises:
Smith & Cross
Doctor Bird
Denizen
El Dorado 12 Year
Barbancourt 5 Star
Plantation 5 Year

:getin:

Also is it bad that I tried Kraken and it's actually half-decent in certain cocktails?

Not at all. Part of the fun of mixology is that when you are aware of the properties of what you're working with you can make adjustments to turn stuff like kraken into team players.

It'd just probably make a lovely traditional daiquiri.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Kraken’s not bad, really. It’s sweet but whatever. Pretty tolerable to drink out of a flask, if you find yourself in that situation.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004

Carillon posted:

Anyone have any fun ideas for an averna and Mr. Black cocktail? Maybe bourbon, equal parts of each and then a.splash of dry Curacao?

I mean, your idea seems worth trying. But I find that it's much harder to do amaro + liqueur in a recipe I'm making up myself than it is to do just one or the other.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Learn to love all spirits and the spirits will love you in turn

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
Some friends came back from italy and gifted me a bottle of pistachio liqueur. It tastes pretty much like irish cream, but pistachio, which is to say, *delicious.* It's 100% tasty enough to drink on its own, but any thought to a mixed drink it might go with too?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Visiting a friend who specifically requested his favorite drink of mine, so I've spent the weekend shaking up Mint Soaps:

Kenning posted:

Mint Soap

1 oz. white Cuban-style rum (I use Flor de Cana Extra Dry)
1 oz. gold Barbados rum (Plantation Barbados 5 Year Grande Reserve)
1 oz. lime juice
1 oz. pineapple juice (fresh-squeezed ideal, though a can would probably work)
1/2 oz. 1:1 simple
10-12 mint leaves
2-3 oz. soda water

Put your mint in your shaker, pour the syrup on top, and muddle a bit. Add your rums and juices, a bunch of ice, and then shake the hell out of it. Double strain (with a hawthorne strainer and also a mini conical strainer) into an 8 oz. glass, and top with the soda water.

I'll reiterate that this is an insanely refreshing drink and is worth a go, especially if you squeeze your pineapple juice fresh.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Applicable to all:
When in doubt, the Boulevardier spec is your friend.
1.5 spirit
.75 amaro/bitter
.75 sweet vermouth/dry/quina?

Dash or two of interesting bitters? Garnish?

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
Any thoughts to a good Rum Punch recipe? I like researching the national drinks of various countries and being that I have in-laws from Belize I found that Rum Punch is p.much a staple drink.

I keep coming across variations of this:

1oz Light Rum
2oz Dark Rum (meaningless distinctions, I know, but they provide some guidance at least)
1oz triple sec
1oz sour mix
1oz cream of coconut
2 dashes grenadine
top with pineapple juice

My main thoughts are:

1- what's the conversion of sour mix to actual ingredients, and
2- I feel like the triple sec doesn't really stand a chance against all that rum, pineapple juice, and CoC.

Anyone know of a more refined version I could try, or should I just mess around with this?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

w4ddl3d33
Sep 30, 2022

BIKE HARDER, YOUNG BLOOD
i'm looking to buy my sister an interesting artisan rum and i think i'm sold on this spiced sweet potato rum https://www.thesweetpotatospiritcompany.com/collections/all-sp-products/products/sweet-potato-spiced-rum?variant=15659072847981

has anybody tried it?

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
I try very hard not to be this guy.

A little bit of knowledge goes a long way into making normal people think you're a tool.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

Strange Matter posted:

Any thoughts to a good Rum Punch recipe? I like researching the national drinks of various countries and being that I have in-laws from Belize I found that Rum Punch is p.much a staple drink.

1oz Light Rum
2oz Dark Rum (meaningless distinctions, I know, but they provide some guidance at least)
1oz triple sec
1oz sour mix
1oz cream of coconut
2 dashes grenadine
top with pineapple juice

My main thoughts are:

2- I feel like the triple sec doesn't really stand a chance against all that rum, pineapple juice, and CoC.

Anyone know of a more refined version I could try, or should I just mess around with this?

“Rum punch” is a very broad and nebulous concept, even moreso than the martini. It’s just rum and juice at its heart. I’m sure everyone in Belize makes it differently. Just do whatever tastes good IMO.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Strange Matter posted:

1oz Light Rum
1oz triple sec
1oz sour mix
1oz cream of coconut
2 dashes grenadine
top with pineapple juice

My main thoughts are:

https://letmegooglethat.com/?q=sour+mix

Wikipedia posted:

Sour mix (also known as sweet and sour mix) is a mixer that is yellow-green in color and is used in many cocktails.[1] It is made from approximately equal parts lemon and/or lime juice and simple syrup

And there are plenty of Tiki drinks that use curacao or triple sec in about those proportions or less, with good results.

I'd probably drop the coconut, but only because it feels like a bit of an 80s stereotype to put coconut flavouring in anything "tropical".

That recipe will also have 4oz of hard liquor, so I'd aim for it to make two servings, unless you're going for something zombie-like.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Helping a friend move

There’s a ton of decades old booze

Is this still good

What about this

Are all ports stale by now

What about sherry

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Dec 5, 2022

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

What’s this lidded ice bucket for

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
I'd try anything unopened and be very wary of anything opened and under 20-30%.

I think that ice bucket is for also holding champagne flutes, so you can stick them in the ice to cool.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Steve Yun posted:

Is this still good

Honestly that's an impressive amount of Midori to get through in only a couple decades.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Marsala, I’m guessing a fortified wine? A sweet and a dry. Is it the same as vermouth or different?

Wonderful sediment.

My Campari from this year Vs Campari from the 80’s or 90’s

Oh yeah I think a lot of these are from the 80’s and 90’s

Peppermint schnapps, seems fine.

An Irish liqueur, I think fine?

Rum, cork disintegrated. I think I’ll filter it through a coffee filter and rinse out the bottle and refill it

Crème de menthe, seems fine

Grappa di Prosecco, I’m assuming bad?

Also tossed out: a dozen ports, a dozen syrups

Biggest loss: Dom P from 1988. She’s going to open it on the off chance it’s salvageable but I’m doubtful. It was stored in an annex that wasn’t air conditioned.

Edit: you know it’s fancy because it’s in a tall bottle

Edit:

Need to make room now, there was a checklist of liquor recommendations from this thread I wanted to get to

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Dec 5, 2022

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Hell yeah Galliano. I just got back into mine this past weekend.

I buy 375s of it so it fits on my shelf lol

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Love the old-style Pusser's bottle. The Rumple Minz is making me queasy just looking at it

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I dunno anything about whiskeys but apparently there's a bottle of Cutty Sark in my in-laws' cabinet that's been opened but barely touched and has sat there for something like 40-50 years

Should I try it?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Definitely. Straight liquor doesn't go bad.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
Marsala is indeed a fortified wine. It is not aromatized so is pretty different than vermouth. It’s really its own thing but I guess you could say its basically like a white port. My guess is your bottles are bad at this point.

The grappa is probably okay, or at least as okay as it ever was.

I’d definitely try the dom.

That’s the coolest Galliano label I’ve ever seen.

Try the Cutty Sark. Like the grappa above, it’s probably just as okay (i.e. just as lovely) now as it was when it was new.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Halloween Jack posted:

Definitely. Straight liquor doesn't go bad.

Not entirely true. It will oxidize, but if poster's bottle is mostly full, it should still be fine.

I remember those Galliano bottles from back working at the party store. They were a pain in the rear end to manage on the shelf because they're so tall. And back then, 750 was all they shipped here.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Holy shot that bottle of 34 year old Dom being lost would suck

How much could you get for that ?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Someone mentioned Shieldaig from total wine as a replacement for Laphroaig. From what I can read, they seem to be the same basic type of scotch, just one is higher end than the other? Is that right? For mixing it shouldn't make much of a difference?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Yeah, I mentioned it. I've never tried Shieldaig, but it's from Islay and the reviews sound like it's similar to the rest of the scotches from that region. Islay is an island that for odd historical reasons (they didn't get a railroad bridge so they couldn't get coal to use for drying the grain) is known for its intensely smoky peaty flavors. Laphroaig is a classic Islay brand that has lots of name recognition, which affords it a certain premium price (it's also very good). Shieldaig appears to be trying to fill the "affordable Islay" niche, so the flavor profile should be fine for mixing, even if it's not as nice of a sipper.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I grabbed a bottle. I don't know scotch at all, but it sure as hell has that peaty taste people talk about with Islays. It's pretty solid to my untrained palate, and just about half the price of the next-cheapest single-malt Islay. They also have a few other varieties, might try the Speyside single-malt once I'm done with this one.

e: a bit of research shows that Shieldaig appears to be a private-label Total Wine brand, and they're nearly as protective of their sources as Costco/Kirkland.

IIRC there's a limited number of regional distilleries, so odds are it's a half-decent, significantly pricier brand relabeled, tbh. Doesn't really make sense they'd buy their own distillery just to make the cheapest stuff on the market.

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Dec 5, 2022

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

On another note, I'm not gonna lie but so far I'm not really feeling the Denizen rum. It's very whiskey-ish, I guess? And not just the barrel aging. It's a bit funky, and very spicy. I dunno. Just doesn't wow me.

The El Dorado 12 on the other hand is great. The barrel aging competes a bit with the amazing unique sweetness and makes me want to try the 5 year though!

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Snow Cone Capone posted:

e: a bit of research shows that Shieldaig appears to be a private-label Total Wine brand, and they're nearly as protective of their sources as Costco/Kirkland.

That makes sense, and I don't mind it at all if it means there's affordable mixing Islay around. I might pick up a couple bottles to make into jellied punches over the holidays to just get incredibly weird at my inlaws' house.

Berkshire Hunts
Nov 5, 2009

Snow Cone Capone posted:

On another note, I'm not gonna lie but so far I'm not really feeling the Denizen rum. It's very whiskey-ish, I guess? And not just the barrel aging. It's a bit funky, and very spicy. I dunno. Just doesn't wow me.

The El Dorado 12 on the other hand is great. The barrel aging competes a bit with the amazing unique sweetness and makes me want to try the 5 year though!

The 5 year is my go-to Demerara, it’s so good

nosleep
Jan 20, 2004

Let the liquor do the thinkin'
Looking for some feedback from anyone who's made Wassail before. We're having a Christmas party this weekend and I wanted to try it out. I have Morgenthaler's eggnog ready, and going to have stuff to make some other holiday-ish cocktails, and wanted to have this as a hot drink option.

I was thinking of this recipe on punch drink (and cutting it in half)

https://punchdrink.com/recipes/wassail-2/

-I have a bunch of Amontillado sherry left over from the nog. How would that go here vs oloroso?
-For ale, I have a ton of options on hand. It doesn't specify, and I was thinking something on the malty side would be good. I have a dopplebock which is tasty, but open to other suggestions.
-I know if I include eggs I just have to be very patient about tempering them. How do the eggs enhance the wassail, and does everything stay combined the way its supposed to as it sits around during the evening? I'd hate to make this and have no one want it if it ends up looking gross.
-We only have one crock pot that could be used for other things, thoughts on keeping it warm? I'd hate to leave it on a low burner in a pot since I won't be in the kitchen all evening. I could nuke a cup as needed maybe?

Is this a dumb idea?

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

No idea about the whole thing, but I have made mulled ale before, and I think you're on the right track with choosing a maltier beer. Doppelbock sounds perfect. Barleywine might also be good.

Traditionally the beer would also have been flat, but I've found the bubbles tend to stir out as you heat the ale.

I feel like warning it in batches makes sense if you're doing it over the course of an evening.

The egg part does not sound like something that would be very heat (or time) stable. Also possibly weird - like a runny custard? And likely to be finicky. I would try it without first, and then experiment if you really want to later.

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

Christmas Whale fully subsidized by ThatsMyBoye

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I grabbed a bottle. I don't know scotch at all, but it sure as hell has that peaty taste people talk about with Islays. It's pretty solid to my untrained palate, and just about half the price of the next-cheapest single-malt Islay. They also have a few other varieties, might try the Speyside single-malt once I'm done with this one.

IIRC there's a limited number of regional distilleries, so odds are it's a half-decent, significantly pricier brand relabeled, tbh. Doesn't really make sense they'd buy their own distillery just to make the cheapest stuff on the market.

Sheldaig is terrible but for the price ($24.99) not completely terrible. I'd advise getting the Costco Kirkland Islay ($39.99) which to my palate is similar to a Caol Ila profile. Fun fact, you don't need a Costco membership to purchase alcohol*

*in select states , at least, yay USA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

adnam posted:

Costco Kirkland Islay ($39.99)

Lol Costco can't sell liquor in Canada, but also :aaaaa: