Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lossy Compression
Sep 29, 2019

Hooked On A Feeling

Turbinosamente posted:

This may be the luddite in me, but do you guys think there will be a resurgence of physical discs as more people get fed up with things getting moved and yanked off of various streaming services? Between that and running into extra paywalls for random movies, I'm glad I kept most of my discs.

Resurgence? Probably eventually. Vinyl took, what, 35-40 years to make a comeback? Old enough that it's retro now and a new generation thinks it's cool, but not so old we can't manufacture them anymore.

In the meantime I don't see physical media going anywhere. Where there's a dollar to be made, someone will make it, and there's plenty of us still around who want the media.

Turbinosamente posted:

It makes suggesting something for movie night a pain in the rear end though.

I dunno, really? How many hours have we all lost wading through an infinite sea of poo poo on streaming, unable to come to a decision? There's something to be said for, "I've got 50 movies on this shelf, these are our choices, pick one."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Lossy Compression posted:

Resurgence? Probably eventually. Vinyl took, what, 35-40 years to make a comeback? Old enough that it's retro now and a new generation thinks it's cool, but not so old we can't manufacture them anymore.

In the meantime I don't see physical media going anywhere. Where there's a dollar to be made, someone will make it, and there's plenty of us still around who want the media.

I dunno, really? How many hours have we all lost wading through an infinite sea of poo poo on streaming, unable to come to a decision? There's something to be said for, "I've got 50 movies on this shelf, these are our choices, pick one."

"I have a 20TB media nas attached to my private media server, what do we want to watch?"

Tho you are right, physical media isn't going anywhere. Eventually it will be people sneakerneting usb sticks with ripped streams or whatever, but the demand will always be there.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

I'm 80% sure the whole Quikster thing was just a marketing gambit to get a bunch of free press about how Netflix still has a DVD plan.

Not a good gambit though.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

I subscribed to Netflix's disc plan for way longer than it was a relevant thing becasue for $10 a month or whatever it was they'd mail me a disc, I'd rip it and save a copy to my media drive, and repeat as many times as desired. I could rip Blu-Rays at full quality without the compression a torrented copy would usually have. I finally unsubscribed because towards the end they just stopped getting discs of anything not mainstream, which was usually what I was looking for. But it makes sense for them, I'm sure most of the people still using the service are just wanting to see the big hits, and most of the weird stuff doesn't get physical releases anymore anyway.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Oh no, the weird stuff definitely gets physical release still. You'd be surprised. It's just probably a better cost-saving measure for them to stick to major releases.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
I kept my subscription to the DVD service for a long time because they had older/indie stuff that wasn't available (at least then) on streaming.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
libraries also have physical media that isnt books. you should get library cards and then talk with your library workers about what kind of media and titles they should have/get.

oh and give them money by buying POPULAR THING BOXSET for like 2$. or other trash for a dollar for a trash night.

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

blunt posted:

I'm 80% sure the whole Quikster thing was just a marketing gambit to get a bunch of free press about how Netflix still has a DVD plan.

Not a good gambit though.

Their DVD plan was still highly-popular at the time. Obviously it was on a slow decline, and I'm sure they would like to axe it one day and I think Qwikster was their first step to doing it. Typically tech companies will avoid backlash caused by removing popular-but-unprofitable features by segregating it from their main service, promising that it's still available to diehards while obscuring it to drive the usage rates down before killing it entirely.

So Reed announced that instead of getting mail and streaming for one flat price, they would now be seperate plans. The weird thing is that it wasn't originally called Qwikster, applying that name was their attempt to assuage the backlash. After their stock fell 50% Reed Hasting issued an apology, and attempted to quell concerns by announcing that the two plans will actually be under different brand names! With different login credentials, billing, ratings and reviews. Nothing will be integrated anymore! And the stock price continued to fall because Hastings seemed to have the poor judgement to look at the backlash and think that changing the name to Qwikster would fix it. Keep in mind this wasn't announced in a shareholder report or press release, but a video in which Reed directly addressed customers and confidently declared that people would be glad to have separate logins

Of course they backtracked, but still raised prices on their all-inclusive plans by 60%

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

Lossy Compression posted:

I recently dug up my NES and game collection for the first time in 20 years and it was kind of a fun reminder of how much easier it is to just pick a thing to do when your options are limited instead of literally everything ever made

As soon as my everdrive came in I got overwhelmed with the amount of selection I had and found myself not actually playing it that much, when a week prior to that I was like hell yeah I'll play heroes of the lance even though it sucks hose water

Nieuw Amsterdam
Dec 1, 2006

Dignité. Toujours, dignité.

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Ultimately the guy's plan (trade volume of guest for "quality" of guest, a guest who pays a higher ticket price is also more likely to pay for restaurants and souvenirs etc.) wasn't bad in-of-itself but failed because they didn't actually do anything to make Six Flags more "premium" like build roller coasters or big ticket branded rides or themed areas.

Six Flag's choices are:
1. reverse course and go back to cheap and making their money on volume and all that comes with it (longer lines, less upkeep for rides, lower standards for employees)

or

2. make huge capital investments to make their parks a more premium brand like Disney or Ceder Point.

The first one is less risky but the second one has the potential to be more profitable but obviously just saying "We're going to be as good at this as disney" is much much easier said than done.

Very easy to compete with Disney World!

First, own the most popular IP in the world, like Star Wars, so you never pay licensing fees and own the rights forever. It’s $3 Billion. It it pays for itself really.

Next, build a completely immersive Star Wars dark ride for $300 Million that’s like being in the movie, so good that people will fly out of state and wait on line for three hours to ride it.

Don’t forget to build an entire totally immersive themed area around the ride! Guests should think they are really in Star Wars, down to the smallest detail!

Can’t cost more than a couple of hundred extra million, well worth it!

Guests should believe they are on an actual other planet, also get Coke to build you SPHERICAL custom cans that look like they belong in Star Wars, NOT regular cans with branding!

You also need movie quality Star Wars costumes for all your workers (in every size) and they should all be able to do spontaneous Star Wars improv 30x a day with guests so as to not break immersion. In multiple languages, including ASL.

This is cheap and easy to do, just like slapping a Batman sign on a standard off the shelf Roller Coaster that sixteen other parks have.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Like honestly I think people just want it to be as good as a Cedars Fair park.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
IIRC Disney's actually feeling their theme parks are TOO popular, they want to have less guests and have them spend more money.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

IIRC Disney's actually feeling their theme parks are TOO popular, they want to have less guests and have them spend more money.

??? just pump the price of umbrellas to the maximum, they'll sell like gangbusters when it rains, and it rains a lot in Florida.

Also demolish and rebuild any rides that are at least a year old and rebuild them exactly the same so everyone thinks they're new, and increase the price to ride them.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Yes you’re correct

They want to do exactly that, because people don’t like when the parks are packed considering how much money they are spending to be there

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Couldn’t they just raise prices and cap attendance?

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Capping attendance would be bad, people travel from all over the world to go there

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Vegetable posted:

Couldn’t they just raise prices and cap attendance?

They won’t cap attendance, and they raise the prices anyways. Turns out that past a certain point of obsession, the price is irrelevant. And holy poo poo does Disney own most the IP that people are most obsessive over. Star Wars and Marvel are the newest ones, but they’ve got literal multiple generations’ worth of fans to draw on from their other properties.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

hawowanlawow posted:

Capping attendance would be bad, people travel from all over the world to go there
You not only need a ticket for Disneyland, you need a reservation to use said ticket.

To say nothing about the hosed up queue system they had for popular rides that was a variation of the ComicCon ticket free for all.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

??? just pump the price of umbrellas to the maximum, they'll sell like gangbusters when it rains, and it rains a lot in Florida.

Also demolish and rebuild any rides that are at least a year twenty years old and rebuild them exactly the same so everyone thinks they're new, and increase the price to ride them.

ftfy

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
Yeah, they've kinda backed themselves into a corner popularity-wise. Too many customers to exploit as efficiently as they'd like, but they also don't want to pop up a Disneyland in every populated area like McDonalds or something. Even though they could probably absolutely get away with that. It's not the 60s anymore.

Funny thing if you count thematic renovations (which is also a valid strat in RCT, just delete and remake a single section of track) that's all absolutely valid IRL. There's a reason everything in theme parks costs so drat much.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
people* go shithouse bonkers when they change/remove any of the old rides at Disney

*Disney adults

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Nieuw Amsterdam posted:

Guests should believe they are on an actual other planet, also get Coke to build you SPHERICAL custom cans that look like they belong in Star Wars, NOT regular cans with branding!

At the beginning of the pandemic, when Disney shutdown and they furloughed a bunch of workers, those spherical Coke and Sprite bottles were showing up at grocery stores in places like Alabama due to Disney not accepting them or offloading them.

https://twitter.com/escapedstitch/status/1254209702642290688?s=20&t=nDYu1C7dWdvIQhf-NWKMRQ

They're $6 a bottle in the park.

RocknRollaAyatollah has a new favorite as of 19:02 on Dec 6, 2022

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Empty Sandwich posted:

people* go shithouse bonkers when they change/remove any of the old rides at Disney

*Disney adults

The same people replace their car every three years.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

FilthyImp posted:

You not only need a ticket for Disneyland, you need a reservation to use said ticket.

To say nothing about the hosed up queue system they had for popular rides that was a variation of the ComicCon ticket free for all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yjZpBq1XBE

Must-watch video. Disney actually tried increasing the price of the most popular rides in the past, but this backfired completely: Everyone assumed that the expensive rides had to be the best, so more people queued up for them and having expensive tickets came to be seen as a status symbol.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Yeah I don’t see why charging for individual rides and making the good ones more expensive would work any better than charging more for a park ticket.

Ariong has a new favorite as of 21:09 on Dec 6, 2022

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I was thinking more of how you needed to be online with their app the minute ticketing opened to even begin to get a chance for Rise of the Resistance but that whole ETicket era and poo poo with GeniePass +Band has also been fun.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Icon Of Sin posted:

And holy poo poo does Disney own most the IP that people are most obsessive over. Star Wars and Marvel are the newest ones, but they’ve got literal multiple generations’ worth of fans to draw on from their other properties.

Lol, how does this not get any federal antitrust attention?

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Ofecks posted:

No one fights the mouse.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Ofecks posted:

The last time antitrust was taken seriously was when Windows came with Internet Explorer.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Coasterphreak posted:

The same people replace their car every three years.

You can turn a profit doing that these days

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

credburn posted:

The last time antitrust was taken seriously was when Windows came with Internet Explorer.

Windows still comes with internet explorer, so it apparently wasn't taken all that seriously.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Silly Newbie posted:

Windows still comes with internet explorer, so it apparently wasn't taken all that seriously.

Indeed not.

(Also Windows Media Player in Europe.)

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
My Windows didn't include anything as lame as Internet Explorer. It came with EDGE

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
I had the DVD part of Netflix for longer than most (until 2015 or so), because my ex lived up in the woods and his Internet was awful.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

I watched that last year and came to the conclusion that my family's two visits to the mouse parks were somehow during periods of relatively low ticketing-induced bullshit

It was nice

Nieuw Amsterdam
Dec 1, 2006

Dignité. Toujours, dignité.

FilthyImp posted:

I was thinking more of how you needed to be online with their app the minute ticketing opened to even begin to get a chance for Rise of the Resistance but that whole ETicket era and poo poo with GeniePass +Band has also been fun.

Six Flags: Please please please ride our roller coaster.

Disney: We tried high prices. We tried timed tickets. We tried high prices AND timed tickets. We tried you have to make meal reservations six months in advance. We tried three hour waits for rides. Motherfuckers still won’t stop coming.

If you think people on Reddit are nuts try the DIS Boards sometime for a peek at the full time Disney Adult lifestyle.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Also demolish and rebuild any rides that are at least a year old and rebuild them exactly the same so everyone thinks they're new, and increase the price to ride them.

Universal did exactly this in real life with Incredible Hulk coaster.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I appreciated this reference.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

credburn posted:

My Windows didn't include anything as lame as Internet Explorer. It came with EDGE

Hold the windows key and press R
In the box that comes up, type in iexplore and hit ok.
Enjoy internet explorer in the year 2022.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
why dont they just build exact copies of the parks , and then randomly assign one of them as the true platinum diamond true fan level, descending metal tiers , and then a wood tier.

let the supa crazies fight for the "top" tier park, and then non crazies can enjoy the wood/dirt tier ones with no queues.