Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

I figure I have this camera body, this computer, and neither are changing for a long time. May as well buy software that I like with both and be done with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
I’m the same vein, does anyone have a recommendation for buy-it-once software that replaces Lightroom’s library/organization features? Similar editing features would be nice too, but I’m realizing I mostly use it for library stuff these days.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

frogbs posted:

I’m the same vein, does anyone have a recommendation for buy-it-once software that replaces Lightroom’s library/organization features? Similar editing features would be nice too, but I’m realizing I mostly use it for library stuff these days.

The industry term for that kind of software is "digital asset management" and pretty much everything out there is going to be expensive because it's all geared towards business use. Or it was a couple years ago when I last looked into it.. maybe there's some free or personal use solution out there now. There's a few open source options but they'll require a bunch of setup to get running.

For managing photo libraries, LR is a pretty unique product. Unfortunately.

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

journey into Kirk's unknown

frogbs posted:

I've switched from LR to Capture One Pro a while ago. It's been a learning curve but there are a few nice things, one that C1 reads the metadata created by Lightroom and applied those modifications to the photo within C1. It manages/organizes photos as well as Lightroom and it's ability to do post is about the same but I feel adobe probably has stronger healing/cloning tools. There will be a learning curve, but that's not insurmountable.

My motive for switching was to escape the perpetual payments to Adobe, not a huge fan of the business model but I'm sure not how different it really is. Buying the license outright is great but C1 puts out a new version of the software every year. It does go on sale near the end of the year so that might be my upgrade path, getting upgrades a year late. I guess it depends on how motivating the new features are and how much the upgrades cost. I'm not sure what it would cost me to say upgrade from C1 Pro 22 to 25 for example. ~250 (I think it's quoting me CAD) 250/36 months ~7$ a month, which isn't that far off from whatever Adobe charges, I think.

Well, at least I don't absolutely need to pay for the service and can ride this version for a long time, if I want, I hope. Anyway, C1 Pro is as capable as Lightroom, in my opinion. Combine it with Affinity Photo and it's a solid combo.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Adorama just sent me a lens hood in one of those paper mailers you’d send like a sew on patch or similar in. Naturally it’s completely smashed up. What the actual idiotic gently caress did they think was going to happen. Like there’s no point even me sending them back an envelope full of broken pieces of plastic.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

If C1 syncs my edits to my phone and vice versa I'd jump, but my workflow and how I view my images is inherently tied to LR right now and I'll pay for that convenience

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Affinity Photo got a V2 as well. I bought V1 about a year ago but never really opened it (I keep it around for extensive edits that Capture One can't handle, but so far I haven't encountered a use case yet. On the fence on this one...

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I noticed everyone charges for their major updates, so I just stuck with Lightroom. It seems to have a lot of new features/improvements every two or three months, so I've been pretty happy with it. Plus, I grew up on Photoshop, so having that as a bonus, is a pretty big bonus. That used to run a few hundred on it's own every year.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The fun part is that masking has gotten good enough in LR that I don't even really use Photoshop anymore. Photoshop is still objectively better for some things, such as merging exposures or content aware fills, but I try to avoid photos that need that kind of work so LR is the choice 99% of the time.

The cloud features are actually pretty nice too. Still too expensive to sync my entire catalog to the cloud, but doing edit previews on the road that syncs to my desktop at home is kinda neat. LR is smart enough to sync the ipad edit as a virtual copy of my imported raw.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I have a fuji x mount, along with a handful of old Canon FD (not EF) mount lenses including a 1.4 and a 1.2 nifty fifty

I am hobby photographing a bunch of pond life in a jar, most of it is like, 0.25 to 1.10mm in length and a lot of it likes to hang out stuck to the glass

Is there a trick where I can buy like a, X mount to ...whatever the filter thread is on the 50mm lenses, then screw them on and presto cheapo macro lens, is that still a thing. I see TT Artisans (and probably others) have a f/2.8 manual macro lens but the glass on my 1.2 is pretty fantastic, and paid for

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Hadlock posted:

I have a fuji x mount, along with a handful of old Canon FD (not EF) mount lenses including a 1.4 and a 1.2 nifty fifty

I am hobby photographing a bunch of pond life in a jar, most of it is like, 0.25 to 1.10mm in length and a lot of it likes to hang out stuck to the glass

Is there a trick where I can buy like a, X mount to ...whatever the filter thread is on the 50mm lenses, then screw them on and presto cheapo macro lens, is that still a thing. I see TT Artisans (and probably others) have a f/2.8 manual macro lens but the glass on my 1.2 is pretty fantastic, and paid for

See if you can dig up some cheap FD extension tubes.

Honestly a dedicated macro is worth it though, I have an old Micro-Nikkor 55mm f/3.5 I've used on my Sony's and now my X-H1, it's great.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Hadlock posted:

I started shooting macro this way. You can get an fd to x mount adapter for $25-35 and a set of cheap x mount extension tubes for $15. The cheap extension tubes will leak light, but a black paper inner sleeve and electrical tape will fix that.

Going this route you'll also want a flash and a focus stacking program, because your depth of focus will be factions of a mm.

joat mon fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Dec 3, 2022

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Hadlock posted:

If your lens is on one side of the glass and the subject on the other side, you way also want to look into buying a different jar, as macroscopic differences in glass thickness (and surface roughness) can result in blurry images.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Thanks sounds like I need to buy/print the extension tubes

theHUNGERian posted:

If your lens is on one side of the glass and the subject on the other side, you way also want to look into buying a different jar, as macroscopic differences in glass thickness (and surface roughness) can result in blurry images.

They are pyrex lab grade borosilicate glass erlenmeyer flasks :science:

The 500 and 1000ml flasks are super sharp, looking through them the maginification provided by the glass-water-glass "lens" is consistent; on the 4000ml flask it's kind of wavey although 1) it's maginfying over a much wider width and 2) depth/thickness of water is much greater probably multiplying distortion effects. I'll find out soon I guess

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Hadlock posted:

Thanks sounds like I need to buy/print the extension tubes

They are pyrex lab grade borosilicate glass erlenmeyer flasks :science:

The 500 and 1000ml flasks are super sharp, looking through them the maginification provided by the glass-water-glass "lens" is consistent; on the 4000ml flask it's kind of wavey although 1) it's maginfying over a much wider width and 2) depth/thickness of water is much greater probably multiplying distortion effects. I'll find out soon I guess

Nice! Rock on and post pics!

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Some examples of the stuff I'm trying to photograph. In the first photograph that central blob is a clutch of snail eggs, and in the last photo is a snail and some kind of flat worm, coffee cup in the background for scale

These are shot on a pixel 5 which has a minimum focus distance of about six inches, cropped down

Can't find the camera hopefully it's in my daughter's closet because I've looked everywhere else :ohdear:

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Hadlock posted:

Some examples of the stuff I'm trying to photograph. In the first photograph that central blob is a clutch of snail eggs, and in the last photo is a snail and some kind of flat worm, coffee cup in the background for scale

These are shot on a pixel 5 which has a minimum focus distance of about six inches, cropped down

Can't find the camera hopefully it's in my daughter's closet because I've looked everywhere else :ohdear:
The curved glass is going to put a limit on resolution--it's a lot easier to deal with flat glass.
With subjects this size you're edging into extreme macro and towards micro territory, where things can get a bit pickier optically. You should definitely experiment with what you have on hand first but pushing towards 4x they may not give great results. You can get good photos with some enlarger lenses pushing up to 4-5x, and microscope objectives really take over past that point. It can be done relatively economically.
Edit: if you want to really go down the rabbit hole https://www.closeuphotography.com has a ton of amazingly rigorous testing of various lenses and objectives across a range of prices. But you can easily end up overly gear-focused that way (I sure am).

Scarodactyl fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Dec 5, 2022

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I've tried a lot of tricks to do macro on SLRs and no setup has ever been as good as the old Powershot A620 with a filter extension and set of hoya magnifiers

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Obviously you need the Laowa 24mm f/14 2X Macro Probe

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Maybe a dumb question: I always see the recommendation to use single-point AF for still objects / landscapes / portraits and continuous AF for moving objects, which seems reasonable enough, but is there any actual reason *not* to use continuous AF for portraits in particular? Seems like being able to keep the subjects eye in focus while you recompose / avoid losing focus if the subject shifts a bit too much would be useful - is there a downside I'm blanking on?

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Maybe a dumb question: I always see the recommendation to use single-point AF for still objects / landscapes / portraits and continuous AF for moving objects, which seems reasonable enough, but is there any actual reason *not* to use continuous AF for portraits in particular? Seems like being able to keep the subjects eye in focus while you recompose / avoid losing focus if the subject shifts a bit too much would be useful - is there a downside I'm blanking on?

I spent a day shooting a wedding reception with C-AF. It made things a breeze and I do not feel I traded anything off. But do make sure it works well for your particular lens and in typical conditions, before you spend an entire day shooting a once in a lifetime opportunity.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Just have the best of both worlds with back button autofocus

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

God back button focus is so loving good.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Slotducks posted:

God back button focus is so loving good.

Thoren
May 28, 2008
Is it safe to store a little point-and-shoot with lens fungus in my dry cabinet?

Also, think it's worth getting fixed/cleaned? This Fuji X70 is from 2016 and cost me about $250.

edit: Sorry, should have posted this in the gear thread.

Thoren fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Dec 8, 2022

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
First time I’ve ever heard of lens fungus

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Thoren posted:

Is it safe to store a little point-and-shoot with lens fungus in my dry cabinet?

Also, think it's worth getting fixed/cleaned? This Fuji X70 is from 2016 and cost me about $250.

edit: Sorry, should have posted this in the gear thread.

If it’s actually dry the fungus shouldn’t do much. It’d weird me out too much to not clean it though.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006
Hi photogoons, are their any free options left for photo processing software? I I just need something to fix white balance and exposure when I forget to tell the camera the right thing.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Rawtherapee or darktable

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

tuyop posted:

First time I’ve ever heard of lens fungus

Congratulations you're one of today's 10,000

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

theHUNGERian posted:

Nice! Rock on and post pics!

Still cell phone but had decent subject matter so took some more video anyways. Then I went to the basement again and dug out my SLR, looking into lens barrel extender things to do a macro thing. Not sure what the music is playing in the background was set to random

https://hadlocks-bucket.s3.us-west-1.amazonaws.com/snail-glass.mp4

This is a loving weird hobby, but I've been stuck at home now for nearly 9 months so I'm dealing with what I have here

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
So I sporadically played with film for years, never needed to scan or organize anything on a computer, so I'm not used to any particular program. Now I have a DSLR, should I give up my soul and subscribe to Lightroom or is there a recommendation for people who aren't already tainted?

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

gently caress software subscriptions. I use Capture One, and I am happy with it, thought it has its weaknesses. For example, it really sucks at fixing false color and it will not let you fix pincushion/barrel distortion when editing TIFFs.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

We'll Capture One is going to a subscription scheme so now you gotta account for that.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

e: whoops

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

big black turnout posted:

So I sporadically played with film for years, never needed to scan or organize anything on a computer, so I'm not used to any particular program. Now I have a DSLR, should I give up my soul and subscribe to Lightroom or is there a recommendation for people who aren't already tainted?

:tenbux: per month gets you Adobe's photography plan which is two versions of Lightroom plus Photoshop and a small amount of cloud storage. This is easily the best value $10 I spend on anything each month. I do a lot of editing though and use Photoshop as an integral part of my workflow, so YMMV if you deal with very few images, or if your edits are limited to things that you could do in Paint, like cropping or global brightness adjustments.

Personally I am fine with the suscription model because I remember the days of having to pay a thousand dollars a year per big-ticket software suite to stay currrent with bug fixes, new functionality etc. With Creative Cloud, I pay a bit less than $100 a year (due to annual plan discounts), and I get continual updates and the latest versions of everything. I can add extra products like Premiere Pro for as long as I need them and then drop them again too without having to pay full price for something I don't use very often.

Your options for a workflow suite basically boil down to:
Lightroom Classic is the full-featured desktop-oriented workflow management suite. Comes with all versions of the Adobe photography plan.
Lightroom CC is the cloud based version with slightly fewer features than Classic for people who need to sync edits and libraries across multiple devices. Comes with all versions of the Adobe photography plan.
CaptureOne is the main competitor to Lightroom, it was a one-time cost but now, as stated they are also moving to a subscription model.
Darktable is the open-source alternative to Lightroom. It's free. Basically it is to Lightroom what GIMP is to Phtotoshop,
Corel Aftershot pro is the one-time payment alternative to Lightroom from the people who brought you WordPerfect.

Beyond that, if you just want to edit and don't need to have the image management, non-destructive editing, external editor handoffs, and publishing management that you get from a workflow suite, then your options are a lot wider. I'd strongly recommend going for a workflow solution early on in your journey as it will scale up or down with your use.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Yeah, :10bux: a month is pretty decent. When this was rolled out initially, I worried that they would increase prices like crazy, and I am happy to see that did not happen.

Regarding C1. Yes, they also offer a subscription, but you can also get a perpetual license. The perpetual license will still get you updates for bug fixes, but you will not get updates for new features. And it will set you back $300.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Use DxO photo lab

I used LR since it’s inception and got sick of the subscriptions last year. I was pleasantly surprised to find it handles RAW files much better than LR, at least those from my a7riv

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
Does anyone know of a photo photo stat app? Like it could answer questions like "what's my most used focal length over time"? I found an app from 2013 but it's dead and only works on mac.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My PC is in transit right now so I can't confirm the steps, but if you use LR you can use the metadata filters to get pretty detailed info.

Eg, for focal length:

https://sensored-view.com/2018/09/02/using-lightroom-to-determine-your-favourite-focal-length/

You're not going to be making graphs from that output but you can definitely see the counts.