Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Blade could probably use a good Year One style story considering how he's a very different character depending on whether or not we're in "all vampires are evil, or at the very least feel a compulsion to be evil" mode or "vampires are like normal people, but because they're super powered and instinctually predatory most of them are inclined to be evil" mode. One is basically the Vampire Punisher, the other is cool edgelord exploitation flick version of Dr. Strange

I honestly think the only 616 story I've read him in was his MI13 run, and he spent a lot of time asking the vampirized Spitfire "HOW YOU DOING? YOU FEELING EVIL? I CAN STAB YOU IF YOU WANT"

there were also some steven skroce spider-man stories from like 25years ago but those weren't very memorable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

OnimaruXLR posted:

"HOW YOU DOING? YOU FEELING EVIL? I CAN STAB YOU IF YOU WANT"

I am imagining Wesley Snipes' Blade saying that and it's kind of hilarious.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Open Marriage Night posted:

Thanks for making me skim those reviews to see which one says the writing is terrible. Turns out it’s none of them.

I think the 'writing is terrible' thing comes from some YouTube reviewer or other who has Views on what comic book punchy persons dialogue should or should not be.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah there was a minor thing on Twitter about the social hub dialogue a few days ago.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Only played a bit so far and I'm enjoying it. The battle system is pretty cool and I'm looking forward to being able to use more characters and open up more abilities.

The graphics aren't anything to write home about, but the models look a lot better than they did in that preview a few months back, so they must have spent some time fixing that. It's a lot funnier than I expected it to be, and I like how the game leans into that.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Codependent Poster posted:

Only played a bit so far and I'm enjoying it. The battle system is pretty cool and I'm looking forward to being able to use more characters and open up more abilities.

The graphics aren't anything to write home about, but the models look a lot better than they did in that preview a few months back, so they must have spent some time fixing that. It's a lot funnier than I expected it to be, and I like how the game leans into that.

I've been watching ChristopherOdd play it (he does a lot of XCOM stuff which is how he got it) and it seems like a lot of fun. I might even find it more so because he's missing some fun comic references.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Also there is a Road House reference within 3 minutes. Writing 10/10 no notes.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Lol at Gotham Knight's Harley plot

She's straight up being Gwyneth Paltrow. Complete with Vagina Egg

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

She's quite the medicine woman in the game.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

Anyone know what the new Gotham Knights skin unlocks are? The colors I can preview, but no new transmogs are on the gear page

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I've run into multiple videos on YouTube spoiling the plot of Midnight Suns in the title so...be careful with looking anything up on it, I guess.

Would it be worth finishing Gotham Knights first or is the story in MS better?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Midnight Suns is way better. It takes a little bit to open up but I'm liking it.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Not even past the kinda set up of the story but Midnight Sun's is rad and the dialogue is comic booky as hell.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I unironically think of the only way to describe MS is "Did you want Fire Emblem Three Houses but with Marvel characters?"

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
I've been playing this all afternoon and am having a blast with it so far. Card based games really aren't my thing at all and yet there's enough going on with the combat that it's still super enjoyable. The non-combat stuff has as much a Mass Effect vibe to me as a Fire Emblem one.

Peter unmasking to a bunch of people he just met is an amusingly goofy albeit understandable choice.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

I unironically think of the only way to describe MS is "Did you want Fire Emblem Three Houses but with Marvel characters?"

Finally, I can gently caress Captain America.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

hcreight posted:

I've been playing this all afternoon and am having a blast with it so far. Card based games really aren't my thing at all and yet there's enough going on with the combat that it's still super enjoyable. The non-combat stuff has as much a Mass Effect vibe to me as a Fire Emblem one.

Peter unmasking to a bunch of people he just met is an amusingly goofy albeit understandable choice.

I liked how Tony basically reacted: "Oh yes you are Peter Parker, born and raised in Queens. Now I can finally stop feigning ignorance and we can get to work!"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TwoPair posted:

Finally, I can gently caress Captain America.

My friend you can customize Captain America's swimsuit.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I'm really happy that Nico's voice actress is the same as who played her in Runaways. She's really good in that role.

Mohawk Potato
Jan 15, 2008

Throwing people into hell pits is a lot of fun.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I'm really happy that Nico's voice actress is the same as who played her in Runaways. She's really good in that role.

She's very charming as Nico, too.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Binged for five hours last night. As a huge Marvel nerd, the social aspect is amazing. Magik is too cool for me, but she’s my friend anyways. Nico is fun to talk to, but I don’t see myself going on missions with her. And I’m a bit surprised how well I’ve been getting along with Captain Marvel.

It’s been fun chipping away at Blade’s hard rear end exterior. Ghost Rider is a bit of a dork. Strange and Iron Man I’ve been interacting the least with, lest their terminal hubris rub off on me.

Next mission involves picking up Spider—Man. Excited to see how that goes.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I hate how everything comes preloaded with seasons pass stuff now. Do I spend the money on everything now and play the dlc piecemeal as it comes out and risk not being able to get back into it and being burnt out, or do I wait and get the complete edition in a year for half the price and risk being completely overwhelmed by getting it all at once?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Open Marriage Night posted:

Binged for five hours last night. As a huge Marvel nerd, the social aspect is amazing. Magik is too cool for me, but she’s my friend anyways. Nico is fun to talk to, but I don’t see myself going on missions with her. And I’m a bit surprised how well I’ve been getting along with Captain Marvel.

It’s been fun chipping away at Blade’s hard rear end exterior. Ghost Rider is a bit of a dork. Strange and Iron Man I’ve been interacting the least with, lest their terminal hubris rub off on me.

Next mission involves picking up Spider—Man. Excited to see how that goes.

Nico's actually more useful than she might initially seem in combat. She's basically the closest thing you have to a dedicated healer unless you decide to build the MC's deck that way. And she gets a 1 mana heroic that hits like a truck and applies a random debuff pretty early.

Ghost Rider's the one I have trouble justifying bringing. So many of his abilities either hurt him to do extra damage, make you discard cards (remember the car card makes you pitch your whole hand, so use it last in the turn) or puts down traps but there's just more efficient ways to win.

I also kinda really like the Hunter's superhero outfit? As well as Magik's default one. Who did the character designs for this one?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

Nico's actually more useful than she might initially seem in combat. She's basically the closest thing you have to a dedicated healer unless you decide to build the MC's deck that way. And she gets a 1 mana heroic that hits like a truck and applies a random debuff pretty early.

Ghost Rider's the one I have trouble justifying bringing. So many of his abilities either hurt him to do extra damage, make you discard cards (remember the car card makes you pitch your whole hand, so use it last in the turn) or puts down traps but there's just more efficient ways to win.

I also kinda really like the Hunter's superhero outfit? As well as Magik's default one. Who did the character designs for this one?

Ghost Rider does absurd amounts of damage and gains a ton of self healing. His starting Heroic basically wins entire stages though he gets better once he has more skills and upgrades.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Do you all think this game will be up my alley if I really enjoyed Fire Emblem Awakening, stopped playing one of the recentish X-COMs like 2 hours in due to a failed run, and got like 2/3rds through Mario+Rabbids Kingdom Battle before some of hte systems in that game felt too repetitive?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

Ghost Rider does absurd amounts of damage and gains a ton of self healing. His starting Heroic basically wins entire stages though he gets better once he has more skills and upgrades.

I have trouble using Ghost Rider because of that discard with Hell Ride. My MC has a card which gives block every turn it's held in hand and that's way too good to lose. I feel like Captain Marvel is a better choice if you need a heroic move that can flatten a line of people.

MorningMoon posted:

Do you all think this game will be up my alley if I really enjoyed Fire Emblem Awakening, stopped playing one of the recentish X-COMs like 2 hours in due to a failed run, and got like 2/3rds through Mario+Rabbids Kingdom Battle before some of hte systems in that game felt too repetitive?

It's really addicting gameplay wise. You don't have the XCOM thing where you're on a timer from day 1 as the story progresses as you determine. You never permanently lose people. Lots of difficulty options so you don't get stuck anywhere.

The card system keeps it fresh, each hero plays differently but they all feel very powerful so you can take along whoever you want.

I bounce off the XCOM games because of the difficulty and RNGness and the timer and this doesn't have anything like that (unless you want it to be really hard).

I love it and really recommend it. Especially if you like the relationship parts of Fire Emblem.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

You can get a Cyclops Was Right t-shirt for your main character

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

10/10 goty.

I haven’t even played it yet and this makes me absurdly excited.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

I have trouble using Ghost Rider because of that discard with Hell Ride. My MC has a card which gives block every turn it's held in hand and that's way too good to lose. I feel like Captain Marvel is a better choice if you need a heroic move that can flatten a line of people.

It's really addicting gameplay wise. You don't have the XCOM thing where you're on a timer from day 1 as the story progresses as you determine. You never permanently lose people. Lots of difficulty options so you don't get stuck anywhere.

The card system keeps it fresh, each hero plays differently but they all feel very powerful so you can take along whoever you want.

I bounce off the XCOM games because of the difficulty and RNGness and the timer and this doesn't have anything like that (unless you want it to be really hard).

I love it and really recommend it. Especially if you like the relationship parts of Fire Emblem.

ooooh i like the sound of that, and yeah i loving love chatting wtih all my toys units. I'm assuming I can't make them kiss like in FE, but it does sound like a fun social sim. I got my plate too full (GOW5, Sonic, Crisis Core in a few days) but i'll deffo give it a shot next year.

ImpAtom posted:

aw hell yeah

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

You can also get a Warlock from the New Mutants shirt. 10/10 no notes.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

MorningMoon posted:

ooooh i like the sound of that, and yeah i loving love chatting wtih all my toys units. I'm assuming I can't make them kiss like in FE, but it does sound like a fun social sim. I got my plate too full (GOW5, Sonic, Crisis Core in a few days) but i'll deffo give it a shot next year.

aw hell yeah

Is Sonic Frontier good? It was on sale a while back and I didn't grab it in time.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

MorningMoon posted:

aw hell yeah

There is a simmering romance subplot between 2 of the heroes that you can encourage

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

ThermoPhysical posted:

Is Sonic Frontier good? It was on sale a while back and I didn't grab it in time.

Definitely worth the sale price. It's Sonic's Mario Odyssey, just hours upon hours of the feeling of popping bubblewrap in 3D platforming form. Also has the sickest, and best to play, bosses in all of Sonic.

Gaz-L posted:

There is a simmering romance subplot between 2 of the heroes that you can encourage

:sickos:

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

If you had told me just a month ago that The Callisto Protocol was going to get a critical lashing while Midnight Suns was going to be well-received by critics and players alike I wouldn't have believed you.

Lesson learned: they should've put Drax in The Callisto Protocol

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

JordanKai posted:

If you had told me just a month ago that The Callisto Protocol was going to get a critical lashing while Midnight Suns was going to be well-received by critics and players alike I wouldn't have believed you.

I've only heard complaints about how Callisto runs. There are complaints about Suns' performance, to be sure, but you can fix most of them on PC.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Dawgstar posted:

I've only heard complaints about how Callisto runs. There are complaints about Suns' performance, to be sure, but you can fix most of them on PC.

The big one is the dumb comic covers with the in game models, it seems to take a ton of memory to render them and is totally pointless and looks terrible anyway

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Dawgstar posted:

I've seen a lot of criticism about Callisto's game design, it's definitely more than just the performance.

Then again, I also saw a lot of criticism about Gotham Knights, and that game is great, so I dunno.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Here's a code for Iron Man's Bleeding Edge suit in Midnight Suns, not sure if it's unique or what but it expires on the 23rd and I'm not getting the game before that so enjoy
8m33he9n5t4e

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Gaz-L posted:

The big one is the dumb comic covers with the in game models, it seems to take a ton of memory to render them and is totally pointless and looks terrible anyway

I thought they were dumb until I realized you want hit a button to turn them into paintings which you then can put in any frame in the place. This includes stuff you make in photo mode.

I'm having a blast with it so far. The writing is pretty cornball and doesn't put a good foot forward -- you start with Tony and Strange being quippy and high on their own farts and it feels at first like the whole game will be that and it's not. Writing is not the exceptional overall but it not awful and there are some laffs to be had. Very classic comic book comfort food, not a lot of edgey here despite what Illyana seems to think.

The tactical part is good too! Especially once you start unlocking upgrades and all. It continues to drip feed systems for a looooong while.

E: re: paintings,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RI_qWkxTOy0&t=12354s

NmareBfly fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Dec 6, 2022