Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

GramCracker posted:

Sold my Xbox One X that had been collecting dust unused since I completed Red Dead Redemption 2 and picked up a Switch OLED. I couldn't be happier with it, even just setting up the new system everything feels "premium" for a hand held system, and the colors for the screen are fantastic. I also managed to pick up a copy of BOTW for $29 too :cool:

I've been out of the Nintendo world since Gamecube, and aside from the standard stuff (ie. Smash, Mario Party, etc), is there anything worth picking up or any must-haves?

Super Mario Odyssey
Splatoon 3
Popular indies are all great on Switch like Hollow Knight, Stardew Valley, Hades, etc.
Bayonetta, all of them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Kirby forgotten land
Mariokart
Aminal crossing

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Man Great Ace Attorney Chronicles kicks so much rear end, I'm just now getting around to finishing the first game and I'm currently on the last case. So halfway through the collection just about.

This is probably the best Ace attorney game since the original entry. The change of scenery/ historical time period is incredibly refreshing and they actually bake in a lot of Victorian era technology/ events into nearly every case which makes the whole thing feel very grounded. It's Ace Attorney so it can be a little outlandish at times, but it really feels a lot less silly and a lot more realistic than really any other Ace Attorney entry. The soundtrack is also really good and has a very unique sound given that they're using a traditional Japanese instruments aesthetic rather than the usual synthwave stuff. It's really memorable but also just great, generally these games have a fantastic music. The dramatic songs are still just as tense and exciting as before even with the more old school sound tones.

The art is simply next level, from scenery to assets to crime scene photos and even character designs/animations. Everything is detailed and colorful, feels like it came out of a high-end well produced anime

I'm incredibly excited to dive into the second one!! I think Capcom should stick with this formula for the Ace Attorney series, just start completely over every few entries.

My biggest annoyance is the design for Iris Wilson who is a generic 10 year old anime pink haired girl who accompanies you in court and helps solve mysteries etc, lame. Thankfully, she only gets more involved towards the end and for the most part, all the other characters are pretty well done. Iris as a character isn't terrible either. But yeah her design and the child prodigy trope is always a joke. The prosecutor is also pretty decent, but I don't care much for his vampire looking design. Still I feel like they've done a pretty poor job with every prosecutor after Edgeworth and von karma so I'll settle for this Dracula dude

As for the Sherlock stand in, I thought it was going to be schlocky but he's actually a really fun character. There are several instances where you have to help correct his really dumb assumptions and it's pretty hilarious, generally though it's always a good time when he's on screen

E: added a few more notes on things I liked n disliked

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Dec 3, 2022

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
Just ordered a glass screen protector and small carrying case.

Cartoon Man posted:

Super Mario Odyssey
Splatoon 3
Popular indies are all great on Switch like Hollow Knight, Stardew Valley, Hades, etc.
Bayonetta, all of them

B33rChiller posted:

Kirby forgotten land
Mariokart
Aminal crossing

Thanks! Any of these stand head and shoulders above the rest to you if you had to focus on one or two?

On my short list currently: Smash Ultimate, Mario (Superstars or Kart)

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

GramCracker posted:

Just ordered a glass screen protector and small carrying case.

Thanks! Any of these stand head and shoulders above the rest to you if you had to focus on one or two?

On my short list currently: Smash Ultimate, Mario (Superstars or Kart)

Animal Crossing, Mario Kart 8, and Splatoon 3 will each give you basically unlimited game time depending on how much you want to devote to them.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
If you like JRPGs I recommend Xenoblade Definitive Edition and then, if you like that, the rest of the series.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

For me, animal crossing . But that is entirely due to personal preference I like a chill zone out kinda game, and yeah, there's no end of casual stuff to do in it.

Fashion shows with my daughter are fun

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Welcome aboard! Yeah it's a great system with too many games. Kind of hard to recommend without knowing your personal tastes...but for your general knowledge, Nintendo developed games don't go on sale very often. And it just so happens that the black friday sale is winding down, so if you're interested in Odyssey, Mario Kart, Animal Crossing, or perhaps even Metroid Dread...you should probably get cracking.

You may have noticed that the eshop interface sucks noodles, fortunately https://www.dekudeals.com is a great sale tracker

If you are curious about any of the games, ask in this thread. There are usually plenty of opinions :q:

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

my opinion is that I like good games, and I don’t like bad ones.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Inzombiac posted:

Using RetroBoy which utilizes Mupen64Plus.
It works slightly better than the one I was using on PC but it's still unplayable.

I have had really good luck with M64 Plus FZ

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.mupen64plusae.v3.fzurita&hl=en_US&gl=US&pli=1

It runs Rush 1 really well but has some graphical glitches here and there

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself

Please don't waste your money like this

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
???

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
I'm probably the only person in this thread who doesn't like Kirby and the Forgotten Land. I played it all summer with my kid and she loves it. I tried playing my own solo game and I just can't get into it. It just isn't as fun or interesting as Mario Odyssey or 3D World to recommend over those. I'd also recommend Mario Deluxe and DK Tropical Freeze over it.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Willo567 posted:

Did anyone here end up buying that Elevator Action Returns port? How is the input lag on Switch?

I didn’t notice any input lag myself, but I haven’t had time to play it much yet

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

KingSlime posted:

As for the Sherlock stand in, I thought it was going to be schlocky but he's actually a really fun character. There are several instances where you have to help correct his really dumb assumptions and it's pretty hilarious, generally though it's always a good time when he's on screen

E: added a few more notes on things I liked n disliked

I like this character for a few reasons - the first is that he makes some very good deductions, but he just tends to do it on poor observations. Like, you correct his stuff but only after finding more clues at the scene. Second is that he isn't a conceited jackass, and when corrected due to the previously-missed evidence, he concedes (because he knows it's correct) without a hint of defensiveness. Third is that despite his goofy demeanour, there are times when a more serious nature shows through, making you think that perhaps there's more to this guy than just being a clown with a pipe.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

Please don't waste your money like this

fool.

Professor Latency
Mar 30, 2011

I'm probably the only person in this thread who doesn't like Kirby and the Forgotten Land. I played it all summer with my kid and she loves it. I tried playing my own solo game and I just can't get into it. It just isn't as fun or interesting as Mario Odyssey or 3D World to recommend over those. I'd also recommend Mario Deluxe and DK Tropical Freeze over it.

It's a delight. Like a delicious dessert.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

You have no soul.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
I remember being bored to tears by Tropical Freeze, and then later I finished Kirby TFL. I guess that makes me a Decepticon

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Please rec some ARPGs like Diablo.

I want floods of loot in a mindless cycle of violence.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Inzombiac posted:

i like the switch Diablo 3 more than the pc one.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Tropical Freeze is almost a perfect game (the bosses needed to be shorter)

Everything else about the game is perfect

CRAZY KNUCKLES FAN
Aug 12, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Inzombiac posted:

Torchlight II

Macaluso posted:

Tropical Freeze is almost a perfect game (the bosses needed to be shorter)

Everything else about the game is perfect

It's the best 2D platformer. That or Rayman Legends

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

GramCracker posted:

Sold my Xbox One X that had been collecting dust unused since I completed Red Dead Redemption 2 and picked up a Switch OLED. I couldn't be happier with it, even just setting up the new system everything feels "premium" for a hand held system, and the colors for the screen are fantastic. I also managed to pick up a copy of BOTW for $29 too :cool:

I've been out of the Nintendo world since Gamecube, and aside from the standard stuff (ie. Smash, Mario Party, etc), is there anything worth picking up or any must-haves?

Luigi’s Mansion 3 owns loving bones, if you played the original on GC you’ll especially love it but even if you didn’t it’s still an incredibly polished gem

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Inzombiac posted:

Warframe

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Minecraft dungeons is pretty fun

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

90% mindless slaughter, loot, collecting, and powering up -- interspersed with moments of the most insanely bizarre systems that are truly impressive in how obtuse they are

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I played Tropical Freeze for the first time a few months ago. And my main issue with it is the momentum with the roll feels weird. I think it's only when it's DK alone. But he does this thing where it feels like he stutters for a second at the end of the roll before he continues moving. It felt different compared to the old DKC games, and that really threw my muscle memory off. Other than that, and the bosses being too long if you miss even a single hit, it seemed pretty good.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

:goofy:

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

There's also quite a selection of shoot em ups on switch. Go check the "Everyone should try shmups" thread for recommendations in that genre.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S
What's a good Metroidvania under $20 if I already have and have beaten Hollow Knight and both Guacamelees?

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Large Testicles posted:

What's a good Metroidvania under $20 if I already have and have beaten Hollow Knight and both Guacamelees?

Blasphemous when it’s on sale. Maybe Dead Cells but that’s more of a roguelike.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

That Kiwi 64 game is so dumb and took me an hour ten minutes to clear while high off my rear end. However it was $2, and a chill time, recommend

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Touhou Luna Nights is a fun breezy one as is Deedlit Wonder Labyrinth. I also liked Phoenotopia but that’s over $20 I think

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

Mons Hubris posted:

Blasphemous when it’s on sale. Maybe Dead Cells but that’s more of a roguelike.

Dead Cells is looking right up my alley, Blasphemous looks like it's a 2d FromSoft game and pass on that.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Large Testicles posted:

ender lilies is $25 but it's very good

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

hatty posted:

Touhou Luna Nights is a fun breezy one as is Deedlit Wonder Labyrinth. I also liked Phoenotopia but that’s over $20 I think

I'll second Deedlit, one of the most fun games like that I've played, and one of the few where I really enjoyed the boss fights.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Large Testicles posted:

Dead Cells is looking right up my alley, Blasphemous looks like it's a 2d FromSoft game and pass on that.

Dead Cells continues to put out updates with new content. Now's a great time to get into the game. You're not wrong about Blasphemous.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Large Testicles posted:

touhou luna nights
deedlit wonder labyrinth
timespinner
momodora reverie under the moonlight
unsighted (this is more of a 2d zeldalike but the genres are pretty similar imo and the game is insanely good)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i bought astalon and transiruby recently but i couldn't tell you if they're any good yet