Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

OPAONI posted:

I'd really love a Charmander if anyone has one. I've tried surprise trades for a while with no luck.

I just got a japanese female in a lux ball if you want her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

Flopsy posted:

I just got a japanese female in a lux ball if you want her.

Would love it!
Link code 6009

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

OPAONI posted:

Would love it!
Link code 6009

Link code needs to be 8 numbers i think. I literally can't enter as is.

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

Flopsy posted:

60096009 then. Weird
Thank you!

OPAONI fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Dec 4, 2022

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

BrainDance posted:

How does Pokemon canon work when there are plot differences between the two versions that matter?

They're both canon even when they contradict

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Flopsy posted:

You can just hit start, 4-digit codes are valid.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

BrainDance posted:

How does Pokemon canon work when there are plot differences between the two versions that matter?

I love the idea of Pokemon canon specifically because it gets so absurd, so this seems like and is a stupid thing to be concerned about but it's fun for me this isn't a "getting mad about Ash being still 10" thing

But, so canonically then is it Arven's dad who's dead and built a time machine, Arven's mom, or both and somehow these same events happened twice in his life without him ever mentioning "drat almost this same exact thing happened to mom?" Or is it even more alternate universes where there now have to be two universes in 1 gen?

Omega Sapphire/Ruby actually covered that there's multiple different timelines and realities in episode 0. It's why there's megas and stuff you can use as they're just around in the remakes timelines

Flopsy posted:

No problem! Shoot me over a PM whenever you're ready to go. They're all jolly because I was breeding with Ceruledge in mind though. Would you like them nicknamed in advance?

Sent a message, and I love nicknames, but nothings coming to mind really but if you got something I'm fine with it :v:

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Nessa posted:

I took that line to mean that Sada was also a researcher working with Turo, but she decided to raise their son instead of continuing the research. I could be totally wrong though, since Arven doesn’t mention his mom in Violet, but I would assume he was still raised by one of his parents.
arven was raised by his dog, hope that clears things up

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
Anyone else find themselves becoming more emotionally detached when Arven's all like, "Mabosstiff has been champing at the bit to fight with your pokemon all this time!"

Like, your dog is actually an rear end in a top hat, sorry. My pokemon are beyond reproach and you cannot beat them, ever

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Omega Sapphire/Ruby actually covered that there's multiple different timelines and realities in episode 0. It's why there's megas and stuff you can use as they're just around in the remakes timelines

Do they take it as far as saying "even within the same generation there are different timelines?"

Like I knew there is a mega timeline and others, and that there is a multiverse thing going on, but I didn't think it went as far as saying the two versions in one gen are both their own timeline too.

But I guess that would have to be the case for this gen to work, a timeline/universe where Arven has a dead dad, and one with a dead mom.

Though, this was probably true in other gens too, I didn't play them all and I don't remember the plot differences between sun and moon at all. Things like different legendaries, you can explain that happening in the same universe, but not really this.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Lux Animus posted:

Anyone else find themselves becoming more emotionally detached when Arven's all like, "Mabosstiff has been champing at the bit to fight with your pokemon all this time!"

Like, your dog is actually an rear end in a top hat, sorry. My pokemon are beyond reproach and you cannot beat them, ever

no because it's shounen and wanting to throw down is the greatest proclamation of friendship

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Countblanc posted:

no because it's shounen and wanting to throw down is the greatest proclamation of friendship

That dog wants to show its appreciation by pile driving your mons into a dumpster full of clown shoes. It's the purest form of love there is.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

BrainDance posted:

Do they take it as far as saying "even within the same generation there are different timelines?"

Like I knew there is a mega timeline and others, and that there is a multiverse thing going on, but I didn't think it went as far as saying the two versions in one gen are both their own timeline too.

But I guess that would have to be the case for this gen to work, a timeline/universe where Arven has a dead dad, and one with a dead mom.

Though, this was probably true in other gens too, I didn't play them all and I don't remember the plot differences between sun and moon at all. Things like different legendaries, you can explain that happening in the same universe, but not really this.

I don't know if there's anything concrete, but iirc in ORAS's postgame the leader of the team you're allied with does have a line that plays with the idea of the other version existing as a separate universe.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

I hate sandwich making so much

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Lux Animus posted:

No, i'm not an idiot

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

I think the idea of versions being parallel universes to each other has probably been a thing since Gen 5. If I remember there's actually a small sidequest where someone in Opelucid City (which is made of old stone buildings in White and White 2, and futuristic in Black and Black 2) wants to see an electric type from the other version of the game. After seeing it they apparently make contact with someone from the other version.

Its been a thing for a while, and its also kind of implied that every single playthrough is its own "universe" of sorts. Team Rainbow Rocket in Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon are seemingly made up of the villains of past games that all come from universes where the player character wasn't around to stop them. I like to interpret it as they all game from save files where the player got bored and stopped playing.

I guess the "each save file is its own universe" theory also neatly solves the issue with Legendary Pokemon and how there can be multiple individuals of supposedly one-of-a-kind monsters.

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler
I feel like this an elaborate troll.

I surprise traded and got a Beast Ball Charmander, with 5 perfect IVs. The missing one is Special Attack.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Countblanc posted:

Forretress' talents dont really lend themselves to the VGC format. it excels at everything entry hazard-related, being able to set any of the main ones and it has access to both Rapid Spin and Volt Switch to keep momentum after clearing/setting hazards, but VGC really doesn't care about hazards in the slightest. I'm not really sure what you'd use it for on a doubles team. I guess it has access to dual screens, that's an option.

Plus, like, anything Forretress would do, Glimmora can just do better.

I've definitely seen some entry hazard/forced switching nonsense on the ladder, but only rarely and it still usually folds to a very angry Sylveon yelling at them to please leave.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Hey all, I've got a shiny Maschiff, caught by me so it's legit. Anyone interested in a shiny trade? I don't really liked Mabostiff so I figured he can go to someone who would appreciate him more.

Wile E. Toyota
Jul 18, 2008

Under no circumstances should you be proud of someone for wearing flip-flops.
Does anyone know why some trainers have black text boxes with a yellow outline compared to the usual white boxes? Are they harder? Give out more money?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Wile E. Toyota posted:

Does anyone know why some trainers have black text boxes with a yellow outline compared to the usual white boxes? Are they harder? Give out more money?

I got the impression that they are the hardest trainer(s) in the route. I think one of the early ones says something to that effect.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Wile E. Toyota posted:

they're harder, yes. people call them "route aces" though I don't know where that term actually comes from. each route has one

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Saagonsa posted:

I dunno I guess its because I played scarlet so I never got the implication that the time machine and AI were necessarily future tech, just really really advanced.

Edited in spoiler bars. Let's keep it cleanish for now.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Kirios posted:

Hey all, I've got a shiny Maschiff, caught by me so it's legit. Anyone interested in a shiny trade? I don't really liked Mabostiff so I figured he can go to someone who would appreciate him more.

Any kind of shiny you want in return? I got like four in game so far.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I'm having fun with this game.

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

At 399 / 400 pokes.

Riolu is slow to warm up and be my friend.

Love me and evolve, drat it! :argh:

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

spinst posted:

At 399 / 400 pokes.

Riolu is slow to warm up and be my friend.

Love me and evolve, drat it! :argh:

I found a wild Lucario up on the mountaintops in the far northeast. Though of course that won't buy you love.

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

HopperUK posted:

I found a wild Lucario up on the mountaintops in the far northeast. Though of course that won't buy you love.

I am now hopelessly invested in making this guy love me.

Want a bath? Sure. Want a sandwich? Yes. Want to murder? I got you, fam.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Flopsy posted:

Any kind of shiny you want in return? I got like four in game so far.

Nah I'm not too picky, which ones would you trade for it?

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Kirios posted:

Nah I'm not too picky, which ones would you trade for it?

Well I got a shroodle, a magikarp, a golduck and a jumpluff. Guessing I'd be okay parting with magikarp because I got like ten of em' in legends. Honestly I'm just mainly looking for a love ball right now. We doing your trade room or mine?

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I'd do it for the Shroodle, the others I've already got in Home.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Got scarlet today and just got to the part where the set you off on your merry adventures from the school, and holy poo poo this game is incredible. I love being able to see what Pokémon are in the grass and just wander around catching them. I’ve caught 27 already and haven’t even left the city.

I haven’t seen much in the way of bugs or glitches, and I’m extremely impressed with what the Switch is capable of (never have had a switch until now).

Overall very good and I have some guilt about temporarily abandoning my ultra Sun play through lol

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I caught a 5iv HA Cyclizar (with Knock Off and Dark tera type to stop Prankster shenanigans) and got an Ability Patch from the raid yesterday.

Feeling pretty chuffed still.

I need a good nickname, though. Right now it’s named Unlicensed after my boy Licenseless Rider but I don’t love it

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Kirios posted:

I'd do it for the Shroodle, the others I've already got in Home.

Yeah that's fine, you good to go about now?

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Flopsy posted:

Yeah that's fine, you good to go about now?

Yeah sure, you on the discord?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Lux Animus posted:

what in god’s name are you talking about

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Kirios posted:

Yeah sure, you on the discord?

Nah try PMing me on here. I just got a new computer since my old one died so maybe discord will work for me this time? Still don't use it much. My trade code is 33669933. Just let me know when you're ready.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

If you are doing any sort of ranked battling please for the love of god remember that Farigiraf blocks priority moves

or don't, and keep free wins to the people using it :v:

My favorite is when people try to use Taunt from their prankster mons at it to try and stop Trick Room :getin:

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Kyrosiris posted:

If you are doing any sort of ranked battling please for the love of god remember that Farigiraf blocks priority moves

or don't, and keep free wins to the people using it :v:

My favorite is when people try to use Taunt from their prankster mons at it to try and stop Trick Room :getin:

This also fucks with the AI real bad in single player. They just keep trying to sucker punch, and then "hi Gengar, meet twin beam."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

thetoughestbean posted:

I caught a 5iv HA Cyclizar (with Knock Off and Dark tera type to stop Prankster shenanigans) and got an Ability Patch from the raid yesterday.

Feeling pretty chuffed still.

I need a good nickname, though. Right now it’s named Unlicensed after my boy Licenseless Rider but I don’t love it

I named my first Cyclizar Yusei. Because card monster games on motorcycles.