Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Len posted:

Illbleed is garbage but I would pay like 20bux for a port

I would genuinely like to see the modern social media reaction to a game with a secret ending that involves a naked teenager getting hit on by her monster dad.

I suppose that's one way to keep your game's big twist from being spoiled on Twitch in the first week; make sure your protagonist is permanently bare-rear end, ToC-violating naked by the time the twist hits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Signalis enemies just rise up so quickly compared to how few flares there are I just stopped fighting guys which isn’t really how I want to play my survival horror but congrats on creating the first in the genre where you actually have to evade enemies.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

al-azad posted:

Signalis enemies just rise up so quickly compared to how few flares there are I just stopped fighting guys which isn’t really how I want to play my survival horror but congrats on creating the first in the genre where you actually have to evade enemies.

The revival's also based on proximity. If you don't get close enough to a corpse, it won't get back up.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Wanderer posted:

The revival's also based on proximity. If you don't get close enough to a corpse, it won't get back up.

This plus there's also a way to know IF a corpse will rise or not when you get close to it.

Your radio will be filled with a signal if there's an alive enemy in the same room as you.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Now I'm reminiscing on how effective the first turbo zombie was in freaking me out when I played REmake for the first time. It came out the same year as 28 Days Later, one of those apparent brainwaves where a given concept (in that case, fast zombies) seemed to just sprout in multiple places concurrently

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I'm really trying to like The Callisto Protocol but god drat it, why the gently caress did they have to focus on Melee and create a combat system that falls right the gently caress apart when there's more than one enemy? God drat it.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

They took the dodge system from God Hand, by the sound of it. They should've copied God Hand even more.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

sigher posted:

I'm really trying to like The Callisto Protocol but god drat it, why the gently caress did they have to focus on Melee and create a combat system that falls right the gently caress apart when there's more than one enemy? God drat it.

Once you get the shotgun it doesn't matter you can just blast everything.

Hope you didn't miss back tracking slightly to get it so you spend half the game with just your pistol!

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

The damage upgrade on the hand cannon also ups its stopping power enough that you can rely on it as an actual damage source, rather than something you use to annoy spitters.

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer
A few hours in now and I'm really liking TCP. It doesn't quite live up to the "ultimate horror experience" hype surrounding the release but I'd still give it a solid 8.75/10.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Downloaded the patch for PC, performance is significantly better now. There's still some occasional, minor hitching but nothing like the second-long lockups that would happen constantly at release. Still some room for improvement to be sure but it's gone from "this is completely hosed" to mostly smooth gameplay.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Finished The Callisto Protocol, and also got the platinum.

I've got a nice collection of horror game platinums now. Gonna get back on House of Ashes.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Wanderer posted:

It doesn’t help that many rooms are narrow hallways. I just find it’s easier to Bob and weave than lure badguys to s secluded corner to plug them.

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Ineffiable posted:

Finished The Callisto Protocol, and also got the platinum.

How difficult was the platinum for it?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Sakurazuka posted:

Once you get the shotgun it doesn't matter you can just blast everything.

Hope you didn't miss back tracking slightly to get it so you spend half the game with just your pistol!

I'm on the hardest difficulty so all of the weapons reside in pea shooter territory and ammo has been super limited most of the game, at this point I'm using the Grip to throw enemies into spike walls and off ledges because it's the fastest way to kill stuff.

Quitting the game also causes my whole PC to hard crash and go into a boot loop, so there's that.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

sigher posted:

I'm on the hardest difficulty so all of the weapons reside in pea shooter territory and ammo has been super limited most of the game, at this point I'm using the Grip to throw enemies into spike walls and off ledges because it's the fastest way to kill stuff.

Quitting the game also causes my whole PC to hard crash and go into a boot loop, so there's that.

Almost no games have good hard difficulties and are poorly balanced, why would you do this to yourself?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
plenty of games have good hard modes, dead space included. definitely a crapshoot though

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
speaking of dead space, I forgot how Hammond’s VA just cannot lose his English accent. guy goes on a voyage across the hemisphere every other sentence

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib
Took me a little less than 11 hours to finish TCP. I would rate it exactly the same as Dead Space 1. They are basically identical.

The game loves kicking you down the mountain you just climbed. It happens so often that its comical.

Floor is lava fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Dec 4, 2022

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

From observing everything, the $70 price point made people a looooooot more critical of what they were getting, and rightfully so.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

TheWorldsaStage posted:

From observing everything, the $70 price point made people a looooooot more critical of what they were getting, and rightfully so.

It's taking the piss to tell people the minimum price needs to rise to ensure games receive the attention and care they need and then release games as buggy and loaded with microtransactions as ever.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Tiny Timbs posted:

It's taking the piss to tell people the minimum price needs to rise to ensure games receive the attention and care they need and then release games as buggy and loaded with microtransactions as ever.

Oh agreed. The gaming industry going Hollywood and throwing massive amounts of cash into developing these games has to come to a head at some point.

I really don't think the $70 price entry is going to become the standard. It can't with quality control like it is

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

0 rows returned posted:

supermassive games have yet to match the absolute peak of illbleeds killerman reveal

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

there's this (probably unsustainable) asymmetrical arms race where the cost of extreme high fidelity graphics is going up and up and commensurately dragging box costs with it, but the actual core gameplay you're getting is not that fundamentally different from someone modding dead space 1 to have a dodge key, and that's going to be a hard sell to the segment of the market whose interests lie more with how the game controls than with how pretty the cutscenes are

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

TheWorldsaStage posted:

Oh agreed. The gaming industry going Hollywood and throwing massive amounts of cash into developing these games has to come to a head at some point.

I really don't think the $70 price entry is going to become the standard. It can't with quality control like it is

New games are $89 new in :canada:

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Improbable Lobster posted:

New games are $89 new in :canada:

i still do a spit take every time i scroll through the RPG section on steam and see octopath up for like $95 goddamn dollars post-tax

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

I've also finished TCP, right around 10 hours and tbh I quite enjoyed it. There are def some rough spots, and I certainly made a few of those myself by over-analyzing the dodge tutorial. For whatever it's worth, I think all the VAs of the main characters did a fantastic job.

Also people keep saying it was $70 but I'm pretty sure I only spent $60? Did I miss something?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Evil Kit posted:

I've also finished TCP, right around 10 hours and tbh I quite enjoyed it. There are def some rough spots, and I certainly made a few of those myself by over-analyzing the dodge tutorial. For whatever it's worth, I think all the VAs of the main characters did a fantastic job.

Also people keep saying it was $70 but I'm pretty sure I only spent $60? Did I miss something?

Series X/S and PS5 versions are $70

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Skeezy posted:

Series X/S and PS5 versions are $70

How unfortunate.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Evil Kit posted:

It was $60 on Steam and $70 on PC when I grabbed it.

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib

Evil Kit posted:

After getting a few guns fighting using melee was a bad idea. Judging by steam chiev percentages a lot of people didn't know about the backstabbing mechanic.

Some weird things I've observed:
Loot doesn't drop from monster thrown in to spike walls. You have to hit them or stomp their legs off.
I got slugs 3 loot chests in a row near the end. Is this random or are the devs secret assholes?
Monsters hitting the base of a ladder counts as you getting hit even if you are the top of it.
The game randomly keeps you from running, to what I assume, load game assets. I spent a lot of the game mashing the run button trying to get it to register. I know this is a common thing in games like Uncharted where they make the character stumble to slow the player down.
Skins only work for the first half of the game.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Floor is lava posted:

Monsters hitting the base of a ladder counts as you getting hit even if you are the top of it.

w…what

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Floor is lava posted:

After getting a few guns fighting using melee was a bad idea. Judging by steam chiev percentages a lot of people didn't know about the backstabbing mechanic.

Loot doesn't drop from monster thrown in to spike walls. You have to hit them or stomp their legs off.
I got slugs 3 loot chests in a row near the end. Is this random or are the devs secret assholes?
The game randomly keeps you from running, to what I assume, load game assets. I spent a lot of the game mashing the run button trying to get it to register. I know this is a common thing in games like Uncharted where they make the character stumble to slow the player down.

I find your initial statement ironic, because I ended up wrapping back around to melee on regular enemies and only using the tacticool pistol to let me chain melee attacks or stun an enemy via leg shots. Fully maxed out melee damage was actually very solid, especially with the arm breaker upgrade. That said it didn't help much vs the various boss enemies due to the nature of how they worked.

nope, I also got hit with most likely the exact same 3 chest with leeches in and tbh I called it every time before opening them lol. It at least made thematic sense as you were revisiting early areas but now it's horrible and overgrown fleshy bits everywhere.

As for the loot thing it at least makes sense, you have to stomp enemy corpses to get their loot anyway if they aren't hung from the wall. The ladder thing is hilarious to hear about though, I never tried climbing a ladder while enemies were around though. I did use shimmy through narrow cracks to get away a couple of times though, no problems there.

As for the running thing, aside from the specific areas where it's forcing you to slow down there was some consistency for certain surfaces causing you to be unable to run. Sort of like in DS when you were walking on extra fleshy areas Isaac couldn't run, it was areas similar to that quite often except Jacob didn't have any special animations? V weird.

... there were skins?

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Floor is lava posted:

you can smack the items out of impaled enemies

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Farm Frenzy posted:

you can smack the items out of impaled enemies

Yeah I think if you use a melee swing it'll knock the poo poo out of them

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Vermain posted:

there's this (probably unsustainable) asymmetrical arms race where the cost of extreme high fidelity graphics is going up and up and commensurately dragging box costs with it, but the actual core gameplay you're getting is not that fundamentally different from someone modding dead space 1 to have a dodge key, and that's going to be a hard sell to the segment of the market whose interests lie more with how the game controls than with how pretty the cutscenes are

I feel like people have been saying this for years and it never really holds true

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Blockhouse posted:

I feel like people have been saying this for years and it never really holds true

there is, presumably, an upper dollar limit that people are willing to pay for 10 hours worth of entertainment, at which point profitability starts pushing certain genres out of the equation

games like witcher 3 get away with spreading the actual content butter thin through open world parceling and (usually) good vignette writing, but something like TCP doesn't have that luxury, and that makes the value proposition dicey

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
meanwhile i'm coming up on the end of dead space and it still holds up just fine. amazing how isaac's token engineering background makes the pushme-pullyou busywork of the plot so much more justifiable

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Picked up Callisto Protocol despite all the negativity because I love horror and have no self control. Game looks very very good, but at least early on it's tough to play. I don't get the combat yet so two zombies in the same place destroys me. The melee combat seems geared towards 1v1 fights which the game obviously doesn't respect. The one game that immediately springs to mind as a comparison is The Order 1866 -- a game that looks incredible (for the time) but the actual gameplay isn't stellar. But boy does it look good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Oxxidation posted:

with callisto getting a raspberry i've instead restarted dead space on the series x

more than anything else, i really wish there was a way to turn off the violin sting any time a necromorph notices you. not only is it obnoxious, it defeats the purpose of the rest of the sound design - the game's constant clamor always has you wondering if part of the noise is a ghoulie about to grab you, which is sabotaged by a dedicated HERE'S AN ENEMY signal

also it's still funny how the most optimal way to play by far is to just never equip any other weapons beyond the starting plasma cutter. more ammo than you can ever need with minimal loss of utility

in terms of performance the xbox doesn't clean up the aliasing or increase the framerate, but HDR is fantastic. when the power goes out then it becomes dark dark, just a wall of solid black if you're not using a flashlight

Yeah the plasma cutter is not only the funnest gun but making it your only gun also breaks the game and makes it piss easy. it's hilariously broken. kind of insane that I'm hearing Callisto has basically the same doofy upgrade system.

I'd play it on PC if it was an option because you can unlock the framerate (which does break the physics though if the fps gets too high). You can actually play it on Xbox at 60 though iirc. You just have to uncheck the option to limit it.