Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

i use caps lock for all my emails to make sure i really get my point across

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just bad
QMK includes a caps word function that's handy sometimes when typing constants, have that bound to a key as well as doubletap left shift. I have backtick on ctrl+' since usually I'm using it as a quotation and that's a really uncommon shortcut. Caps lock key is tap for escape, hold for control.

scottch
Oct 18, 2003
"It appears my wee-wee's been stricken with rigor mortis."
the anne pro 2 firmware has the bottom right key cluster (shift, ctrl, fn1, fn2) set to arrow keys if you tap em - if you hold for a definable interval, it becomes the modifier key. instant muscle memory restored. it’s p neat

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

scottch posted:

the anne pro 2 firmware has the bottom right key cluster (shift, ctrl, fn1, fn2) set to arrow keys if you tap em - if you hold for a definable interval, it becomes the modifier key. instant muscle memory restored. it’s p neat

i tried doing that on mine, but this pos has bad firmware and it would register every hold attempt as a tap as well, lmao

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
what are we liking for standalone macro pads? im gettin my stream back together and want a scene switcher for slobs, and don't want to pay $200 for a fancy board with fifteen tiny monitors

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

what are we liking for standalone macro pads? im gettin my stream back together and want a scene switcher for slobs, and don't want to pay $200 for a fancy board with fifteen tiny monitors

lfkeypad has been needs suiting for me. they aren't always in stock though.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Jonny 290 posted:

genuine question: why not get a larger keyboard?

i enjoy the trend towards caring about keyboards, but my path would be towards more keys properly marked and used. all quality, all consistently fixed in space.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
because i do not have horizontal space between the legs of the riser i use for my music keyboard/traktor box, and i want something positioned off to the side

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

genuine question: why not but a larger keyboard?

streamdeck is actually a functional enough display unit, and that - especially the new, knobbed model - is not something you’ll replace with a keyboard. if you don’t go there then the matter is yeah, just how many shortcuts you want to remember, and where you place them

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

hailthefish posted:

caps lock is the most useless function on a keyboard, no one over five and under 60 uses caps lock. if you want to type in all caps just hold shift.

Exception for phones, hitting shift for every letter sucks rear end

double tap shift for caps lock.

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

that's pro as hell

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

i know, i'm just saying the entire function of shifting from all lowercase to all caps is stupid on a normal keyboard where you can physically hold shift. it's less stupid on a lovely touchscreen keyboard where you can't

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

hailthefish posted:

i know, i'm just saying the entire function of shifting from all lowercase to all caps is stupid on a normal keyboard where you can physically hold shift. it's less stupid on a lovely touchscreen keyboard where you can't

did caps lock gently caress your mom or something?

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

yes, caps lock is my dad and I hate my dad gently caress YOU DAD

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Jonny 290 posted:

get a numpad? you can rebind most of them to whatever you want with drivers or firmware

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
ive found a couple but most of the reviews say "not actually programmable"

idk if i'm super keyed (heh!) up about running autohotkey or whatever. i just want something i can bind f13-f24 or w/e to

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Jonny 290 posted:

ive found a couple but most of the reviews say "not actually programmable"

idk if i'm super keyed (heh!) up about running autohotkey or whatever. i just want something i can bind f13-f24 or w/e to

EPOMAKER SKYLOONG SK21 Numpad with PBT Keycaps, RGB Backlit, Type-C Interface, Fully Programmable (Gateron Optical Brown, Black) https://a.co/d/iB8Bl8P

I have this (different keycaps), can program it all out with multiple layers, everything but the fn key

I think on the stuff like pc122 f13-f24 are just shift+(f1-f12), no?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
oh sweet. that'll hit the spot tyvm

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just bad
Keychron's got the Q0 with QMK support as well if that's up your alley.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
hm. lovin the poo poo out of that k6 i just picked up

hmm hmm i'll take a look. ty

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

hailthefish posted:

caps lock is the most useless function on a keyboard, no one over five and under 60 uses caps lock. if you want to type in all caps just hold shift.

Exception for phones, hitting shift for every letter sucks rear end

its worse than useless, it's actually a fuckin pain in the rear end

numlock too, although it's usually obvious if caps lock is on by accident but gently caress up numlock and people think the computer is borken

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

numlock actually does piss me off

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
thanks subjunctive i just ordered this which is sick as hell

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
Capslock on a layer is great. When I didn't have it I ended up missing it

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Jonny 290 posted:

loving smooth

idk what an epomaker flamingo switch is but it soudns cool

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

hailthefish posted:

sure, but also... doubletap shift for capslock on regular keyboards too. Works great on HHKB layout 40's where the key above shift is tap for Tab, hold for Control.

Buck Turgidson posted:

Capslock on a layer is great. When I didn't have it I ended up missing it

Caps Lock is cruise control for cool.
Before combos / tapdance was a thing I was a big proponent of putting capslock on layer 2. Left thumb spacebar hold for layer two, capslock on tab (above shift).

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

EPOMAKER SKYLOONG SK21 Numpad with PBT Keycaps, RGB Backlit, Type-C Interface, Fully Programmable (Gateron Optical Brown, Black) https://a.co/d/iB8Bl8P

I have this (different keycaps), can program it all out with multiple layers, everything but the fn key

I think on the stuff like pc122 f13-f24 are just shift+(f1-f12), no?

i had one of these before i got the lfkpad and two things i didn't like about it. first, it just straight up stopped working after a month. second, it seems to have a mems microphone built into it, ostensibly to allow the leds to react to sound but i really don't like having mics in my keyboard.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

sure, but also... doubletap shift for capslock on regular keyboards too. Works great on HHKB layout 40's where the key above shift is tap for Tab, hold for Control.

ah, gotcha :hmmyes:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
40s are so hosed up but i want to try one haha

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

wtf is a caps lock? are you all talking about the upper left ctrl key?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Jonny 290 posted:

oh yeah! I’m doing a blue-grey thing right now but I ordered a hammer-and-sickle keycap that will make me revisit things

Midjack posted:

i had one of these before i got the lfkpad and two things i didn't like about it. first, it just straight up stopped working after a month. second, it seems to have a mems microphone built into it, ostensibly to allow the leds to react to sound but i really don't like having mics in my keyboard.

“alexa, disable keyboard microphone”

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

nudgenudgetilt posted:

wtf is a caps lock? are you all talking about the upper left ctrl key?

I'M NOT SURE BUT WHEN I FIND OUT I'LL LET YOU KNOW

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
guys if i was gonna get my son a keyboard for xmas and i needed it to actually, you know, ship and be here by xmas and not be some bizzare thing but still be cool and good what would would you recommend?

I unfortunately can't just buy him a kinesis, which is my recommendation for 90% of the rest of you weirdos.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

amazon lmao

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

rotor posted:

guys if i was gonna get my son a keyboard for xmas and i needed it to actually, you know, ship and be here by xmas and not be some bizzare thing but still be cool and good what would would you recommend?

I unfortunately can't just buy him a kinesis, which is my recommendation for 90% of the rest of you weirdos.

if you’re in the us, and i am not sure that you are

https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/sea...bility=in_stock

use this search to get a list of “generic mechanical keyboards a presumed teenager with presumed interest in games will at worst case feel neutrally about, that should last for a bit”. when you see something you like visually, check availability from the page of the individual keyboard, and see if any of the switches in stock are linear

without thinking too hard about it, https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=8382 with rose v2 switches

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

rotor posted:

Amazon and specifically look at ducky (search for ducky one 3) and keychron

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i'm super impressed with my keychron and mad i didnt buy like 3 when they were all half price for black friday.

i was looking at the ducky's on mc.c last night. they got some like-new returns at a nice discount

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
got a keychron, thanks everyone

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

I have my first kailh switch board coming tomorrow. I hope it has good key feel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

rotor posted:

got a keychron, thanks everyone

what switches WHAT SWITCHESSSSS