Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Atrocious Joe posted:

that's what the movie is going for yeah

Be Prepared was supposed to cover up the racist undertones by making the hyenas Nazis

I forgot they actually goose step, lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Xaris posted:

did this movie do well? it seems like it would have went over like a lead balloon in the 1948s: extremely ballsy to do a long rear end movie (for the time), have half the cast be speaking spanish with no subtitles (which would infuriate americans), very cynical moralism, somewhat pro indigenous (a little bit of racism still but far far less than you'd expect for the 40s), and has a very meta cosmic joke for the end that is extremely eggers and would annoy movie watchers. fantastic movie

audiences weren't necessarily less adventurous back in the day than now.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Mantis42 posted:

Ran is only somewhat similar to King Lear, while Throne of Blood is an actual adaptation of Macbeth. Both films are way better than the Shakespeare versions, because they have samurai and none of the gay boring dialogue.

Best introductory Kurosawa is Rashomon.

Apparently that wasn't intentional, Kurosawa showed the early script to a friend who said 'Hey, it's King Lear' and Kurosawa was 'Who?' and then read up on the play and made it a bit more like it, throwing in some quotes.

He also apparently has said that the King Lear figure is basically a self-insert.

tristeham posted:

audiences weren't necessarily less adventurous back in the day than now.

Yeah, people do like something a little different sometimes if it's presented well. And I imagine a lot just saw a fun rollicking adventure movie and weren't bothered by the subtext one way or another.

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Mantis42 posted:

Ran is only somewhat similar to King Lear, while Throne of Blood is an actual adaptation of Macbeth. Both films are way better than the Shakespeare versions, because they have samurai and none of the gay boring dialogue.

Best introductory Kurosawa is Rashomon.

tried to watch rashoman with my wife, when they got to the ghost part she thought it was too scary and made me turn it off. sad!

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Apparently that wasn't intentional, Kurosawa showed the early script to a friend who said 'Hey, it's King Lear' and Kurosawa was 'Who?' and then read up on the play and made it a bit more like it, throwing in some quotes.

not sure i buy it. by that point he already had made 'adaptations' of Macbeth (The Throne of Blood) and Hamlet (The Bad Sleep Well). it doesn't really matter i guess, all those films kick rear end.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

loquacius posted:

I've said it before but The Lion King is surprisingly right-wing, even putting aside the monarchism

Like, Scar becoming king literally turns the Pride Lands into a post-apocalyptic hellscape, scorched earth and all, and the main policy difference that is ever articulated is that he let the hyenas live there. Uncomfortable racial supremacy overtones. Literally a bad conservative political cartoon

smdh at that chud shakespeare starting this whole mess by writing hamlet the story which the lion king remakes that most definitely has a story element of comparable importance to the hyenas in lion king

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
"The Lion King is grossly reactionary and racist" was discourse that formed long before reddit and tumblr. Some people were definitely saying it shortly after it was released.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Echo Chamber posted:

"The Lion King is grossly reactionary and racist" was discourse that formed long before reddit and tumblr. Some people were definitely saying it shortly after it was released.

yeah this is another reason why lion king remade hamlet is bullshit from disneys public relations department

it will never stop being incredibly loving bizarre to me that people can have serious discussions about whether kurosawas work qualifies as a remake when it substantially changes several major elements while retaining core themes but were all just supposed to accept without question that lion king is a remake of hamlet despite having a completely different narrative structure radically different arcs and only three characters with positions even vaguely resembling those of the hamlet equivalents with all of them having completely different personalities and motivation relative to those equivalents

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

to be fair shakespeare should have written whoopi a part. she'd have killed it

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

it is not the first time I have been racist in the name of my own mistake and sadly probably not the last

mawarannahr posted:

Christine is more interesting than I thought. it’s covering commodity fetishism, identification with and alienation from the product of your labor, and how there are roads loving everywhere so you can have a hard time running away from cars.

wasp bourgeois ideals making it an embarrassment for the nerd to take shop class

fear if the machine coming alive. the dead labor embodied within, hinted at in the beginning with the assembly line scene, coming back to haunt you.

You are right about all of this and it's also a commentary on the banality of 50s nostalgia and the danger of killer cars. Despite being a big Carpenter fan I waited until this year to watch Christine thinking it was just a gig he took for the money. Even if that was the case, it's great, regardless. The car crumpling effects are unbelievable (had to watch a video on how they did all that) and Keith Gordon does a convincing work in his metamorphosis from loser nerd to cocky prick to car-obsessed psychopath. Love the scenes where he unloads on his parents. Great supporting cast, too. Robert Proskey. Harry Dean Stanton.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

loquacius posted:

I've said it before but The Lion King is surprisingly right-wing, even putting aside the monarchism

Like, Scar becoming king literally turns the Pride Lands into a post-apocalyptic hellscape, scorched earth and all, and the main policy difference that is ever articulated is that he let the hyenas live there. Uncomfortable racial supremacy overtones. Literally a bad conservative political cartoon

tbf hyenas LOVE to do crime :xd:

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Yeah, even as a kid I thought the insane "everything the light touches is yours (to use, have serve you and then eat)" was deeply hosed up. I never got why people liked it.

Rental Sting posted:

You are right about all of this and it's also a commentary on the banality of 50s nostalgia and the danger of killer cars. Despite being a big Carpenter fan I waited until this year to watch Christine thinking it was just a gig he took for the money. Even if that was the case, it's great, regardless. The car crumpling effects are unbelievable (had to watch a video on how they did all that) and Keith Gordon does a convincing work in his metamorphosis from loser nerd to cocky prick to car-obsessed psychopath. Love the scenes where he unloads on his parents. Great supporting cast, too. Robert Proskey. Harry Dean Stanton.

Yeah, Christine is a really good film. Keith Gordon is a surprisingly good actor for someone who transitioned into directing television. I think he could have had a really solid career.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

What they really stole from is Kimba anyway.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

I also think Christine is good and lion king has racial purity overtones

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

no, wrong

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

wrong and now you're obligated to watch a 2 hour plus video you fool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5B1mIfQuo4

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Simba should have pretended to be mentally challenged when he comed back from the jungle.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

watching rashomon and loling how in the repulsive bandits version of the story the wife is a badass red sonja figure

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

theres something deeply funny about the bandit confessing to crimes he could have gotten away with and possibly didnt even commit at all solely because he wanted people at the trial to think he was cool

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

YaketySass posted:

Simba should have pretended to be mentally challenged when he comed back from the jungle.

the Claudius Gambit

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Filthy Hans posted:

the Claudius Gambit

I believe he goes by "Scar".

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Some Guy TT posted:

smdh at that chud shakespeare starting this whole mess by writing hamlet the story which the lion king remakes that most definitely has a story element of comparable importance to the hyenas in lion king

You seem mad, is everything ok

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Anyway, I found the post being referenced and nobody ever called it a "remake" of Hamlet (ITT anyway), the word I used was "ripoff," because it did in fact rip off the main plot hook, even if there isn't a Polonius analogue etc etc etc, now can we please not dig up arguments from six months ago at the slightest provocation please

e: I haven't actually seen the anime and was going by scuttlebutt, maybe that comparison is wrong, I literally could not tell you

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Mantis42 posted:

wrong and now you're obligated to watch a 2 hour plus video you fool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5B1mIfQuo4

No im not

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Some Guy TT posted:

the lion king is slander on the norwegians, yes

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

loquacius posted:

Anyway, I found the post being referenced and nobody ever called it a "remake" of Hamlet (ITT anyway), the word I used was "ripoff," because it did in fact rip off the main plot hook, even if there isn't a Polonius analogue etc etc etc, now can we please not dig up arguments from six months ago at the slightest provocation please

e: I haven't actually seen the anime and was going by scuttlebutt, maybe that comparison is wrong, I literally could not tell you

i made two perfectly good rashomon posts that you ignored to engage this

i only brought it up because it would have felt silly not to when the topics of lion king and shakespearean adaptations came up independently of each other at the same time

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

also very disappointed in you loquacius for not phrasing your post in such a way that i could respond by making a thats not how i remember it joke

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Some Guy TT posted:

i made two perfectly good rashomon posts that you ignored to engage this

That's not how I remember it

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I've always wondered if somehow a Japanese translation of Ambrose Bierce's "The Moonlit Road" found its way to the author who wrote the story that Rashomon is based on. It's got a very similar structure of multiple perspectives on a murder, including one told via a medium that's supposedly from the ghost of the murder victim.

Anyway Red Beard is my favorite Kurosawa film.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Mine is Stray Dog.

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I've always wondered if somehow a Japanese translation of Ambrose Bierce's "The Moonlit Road" found its way to the author who wrote the story that Rashomon is based on. It's got a very similar structure of multiple perspectives on a murder, including one told via a medium that's supposedly from the ghost of the murder victim.

Anyway Red Beard is my favorite Kurosawa film.

yes, akutagawa was very directly inspired by bierce and that story in particular, it's just rashomon that stuck in the public consiousness

also crane but they're all naturalists

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I haven't seen Rashomon :colbert: My mental association with Kurosawa films is that they're all super long, but it looks like this one clocks in at a cool 88 minutes :eyepop: though so I'm on board

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Ultra long Kurosawa movies are like 20 minutes longer than marvel sequels

Imagine a mcu vhs display wall, nothing but double cassette boxes

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

tired: "lion king is an adaptation of hamlet"

wired: "a bug's life is an adaptation of 7 samurai"

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

loquacius posted:

I haven't seen Rashomon :colbert: My mental association with Kurosawa films is that they're all super long, but it looks like this one clocks in at a cool 88 minutes :eyepop: though so I'm on board

yeah def check it out

and then think on all the tv shows that did a rashomon episode where the characters remember things different ways

i feel like every sit-com with more than 40 episodes has done one

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Some Guy TT posted:

but were all just supposed to accept without question that lion king is a remake of hamlet despite having a completely different narrative structure radically different arcs and only three characters with positions even vaguely resembling those of the hamlet equivalents with all of them having completely different personalities and motivation relative to those equivalents

scar doesn't drop poison in scar's ear bro!

nala doesn't even kill herself!!!

simba lives at the end!!

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

tired: "lion king is an adaptation of hamlet"

wired: "a bug's life is an adaptation of 7 samurai"

Both true

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот
this is a total shamlet

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

yeah def check it out

and then think on all the tv shows that did a rashomon episode where the characters remember things different ways

i feel like every sit-com with more than 40 episodes has done one

-Oh, good lord. There's a poison in my brain.
-I put it there.
-You did?
-I slipped it into your ear as a gag.
-Pure hilarity!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

To be fair to the lion king, folk tales about the natural world (which seem more like its inspiration than Shakespeare) don't have to apply directly to society. Like, I take the hyena thing more as a comment on ecological balance than race relations. But I've put very little thought into this.