Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
But enough paint, have at you!

Pakxos
Mar 21, 2020
Your canvas is as empty as your soul!

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Wargames ill needs a pallet such as you.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Baby don't hurt me, don't hurt me, no more

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

FMguru posted:

RIP to classic wargame designer (turned academic and analyst) John Prados (1951-2022). Probably most famous for his influential 1974 classic for Avalon Hill, Third Reich.

Ah man, my dad was close with Prados. I should give him a call

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

potatocubed posted:

Apropos of nothing, but this picture and the others like it are giving me powerful nostalgia. I used to love a hex-and-counter wargame.

It’s a genre I wish saw more effort outside the $200 ASL-level-of-complexity things, like I know computer war games took over some of it but most computer war games focus on 4x play over simulating specific conditions.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Maxwell Lord posted:

It’s a genre I wish saw more effort outside the $200 ASL-level-of-complexity things, like I know computer war games took over some of it but most computer war games focus on 4x play over simulating specific conditions.

Honestly I think ASL-level complexity stuff is way overshadowed by other game systems at the moment. I mean, you've got 22 games in the COIN series, a bunch of card-driven games, and a whole bunch of smaller games on a surprisingly wide range of topics--and that's just from GMT. Most of them are in the $80-$100 range because that's what games with boxes and countersheets and maps tend to run these days.

You can certain find monsters that run a couple hundred bucks but I'd argue those are the outliers these days.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I agree with Hypnobeard - there are a number of war games that are quite playable and don't rise to the level of ASL, but they're also not nearly as noticed by the rest of the hobby if you're not already a wargamer

I still have a Battle of Midway boardgame that I've never been able to play with another human yet because I picked up from a game store in Japan... in November of 2019

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Yeah, there's wargames of a lot of different complexity levels these days, it's really never been better in terms of how much gets published.

There's stuff from Almoravid

to Empire of the Sun

Forgive the "strategic bombing" markers- they're marking the edge of the South Pacific scenario area. Which, by the way, is a really good way to learn EotS.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I’d even go to say that nowadays, complex hex and counter games like ASL and OCS are the anomaly, not the rule. It’s only really MMP that is still somewhat profitable making them.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Tekopo posted:

I’d even go to say that nowadays, complex hex and counter games like ASL and OCS are the anomaly, not the rule. It’s only really MMP that is still somewhat profitable making them.

Well, all the publishers do publish some monster stuff but it's not really the main course of any publisher right now.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Xiahou Dun posted:

theyrethesamepicture.jpeg.

Yeah sorry I mentioned. This is like when I asked what the gently caress "mauve" is.

Speaking as a visual artist nobody knows what mauve is. It's one of the great unknowables of art like 'what do horses look like' and 'how do I draw a bicycle'.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Panzeh posted:

Yeah, there's wargames of a lot of different complexity levels these days, it's really never been better in terms of how much gets published.

I love how lower barriers to publication have enhanced the sheer variety of games available to people.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

HopperUK posted:

'what do horses look like'

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Is that a goddamn Jacob Horse

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Ah man, my dad was close with Prados. I should give him a call

Update: I talked to my dad and he was pretty shook up early in the week. He was actually planning on visiting Prados in a couple weeks. They talked in November and he never mentioned he was sick or anything to my dad. This was a big shock to my dad and most people apparently.

John Prados is more famous for his books and academic stuff, but to my dad (and me by extension) he was a quirky wargamer who held a celebration for Napoleon's Birthday most years. I dont remember ever meeting Prados (If I did, I had to have been really young), but he was an important figure in multiple fields and lived a very interesting life who will be missed. :rip:

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

HopperUK posted:

Is that a goddamn Jacob Horse

Can you believe to learn that it is!

(it's the og Jacob horse)

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

HopperUK posted:

Speaking as a visual artist nobody knows what mauve is. It's one of the great unknowables of art like 'what do horses look like' and 'how do I draw a bicycle'.

I got you fam

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Cessna posted:

I got you fam

https://the-toast.net/2016/05/17/two-monks-invent-horses/

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019
Looks like Jamison has decided to crawl out from under the stone he's living under and show he doesn't know how to spell lich, among other things.

https://twitter.com/JasonTDnDDM/status/1599806082771169289?t=tBk_uuL6y7T80vVQitMsFg&s=19

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
He's kind of wearing a shirt. That's progress!

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Don't need to cover up your torso if you don't have a torso
:thunk:

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

He’s a real son of a litch.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

What the actual gently caress is "suffering as a cudgel" supposed to mean.

That's barely grammatical ; clubs aren't exactly known for their emotional depth. And even if it made sense it wouldn't apply to him.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

if you make "suffering" a noun, then someone can use it as a cudgel
like it's awkward phrasing but I understood the intent
he is saying that people are using suffering as a weapon against him
because
he is the victim

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

if you make "suffering" a noun, then someone can use it as a cudgel
like it's awkward phrasing but I understood the intent
he is saying that people are using suffering as a weapon against him
because
he is the victim

I guess? Means you need an unsignaled break in who the unspecified topic is though, which isn't any better from a writer perspective.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Given the author, we already know what the topic is (himself, always always himself), and I'm certainly not suggesting this is good writing!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Bicep tassels close off the circulation to your brain, I guess.

Somebody in the comments called him a troll doll who discovered hot yoga, which made me laugh.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Xiahou Dun posted:

I guess? Means you need an unsignaled break in who the unspecified topic is though, which isn't any better from a writer perspective.

poetry is often ungrammatical

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

Bicep tassels close off the circulation to your brain, I guess.

The history of the Ultimate Warrior proves this theory correct.

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora
I'm going with the interpretation that he means he suffered because he was used as a weapon, because it's absolutely the funniest interpretation considering that their entire dipshit plan was "Jamison takes the blame so the real moneymaker doesn't get wrecked."

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Eastmabl posted:

Looks like Jamison has decided to crawl out from under the stone he's living under and show he doesn't know how to spell lich, among other things.

https://twitter.com/JasonTDnDDM/status/1599806082771169289?t=tBk_uuL6y7T80vVQitMsFg&s=19

This is the guy who'd stiff his writers on their pay because he had to spend so much time cleaning up their work, huh?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
No, that is definitely not Kevin Siembieda.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Halloween Jack posted:

Have you ever seen the two of them in the same room?

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Halloween Jack posted:

I know that was a thing KS did constantly. I thought it was also one of the things Jamison was accused of, as well.

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

Somebody in the comments called him a troll doll who discovered hot yoga

homullus posted:

poetry is often ungrammatical

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019

Falstaff posted:

This is the guy who'd stiff his writers on their pay because he had to spend so much time cleaning up their work, huh?

"Why don't they understand it's spelled ghoblyns, ghoddamnyt!"

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
He genuinely thinks he can position himself as Just Too Cool to be ostracised, doesn't he? Like all he has to do is show off his biceps and his audience will flock back to him, because the allegations weren't real and everyone loved him really.

This should be entertaining. Hopefully he hasn't got the money for a Zak S-style wave of defamation lawsuits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Loxbourne posted:

He genuinely thinks he can position himself as Just Too Cool to be ostracised, doesn't he? Like all he has to do is show off his biceps and his audience will flock back to him, because the allegations weren't real and everyone loved him really.

This is apparently how he operates by accounts from some people who interacted with him. He's got the colored hair and the tattoos and muscles* and intensity and tries to get in your face by overwhelming you. Works really well on a certain type of person.

*I will never not laugh at one of his complaints for a project he was paid to shill was the t-shirts weren't black and sleeveless.