Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

https://twitter.com/mertesakib/status/1598698752574996480

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Albinator posted:

I mentioned this at the end of the last thread, but that obviously non-local-accent-having person may have been living there for decades. Once you've been there that long, having it as the first question you get when you meet someone new is tedious. I do recommend finding something better.

First question certainly not. If I don't even know you're name I'm not gonna narrow my eyes and hiss-whisper "Geordie?"

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Victoria 3 designer on why communism is OP: 'We just implemented the mechanics the way we understood them'

quote:

In the month since the release of Paradox Interactive's latest grand strategy game, Victoria 3 (opens in new tab), some players have struggled with one persistent issue: The communists are right. As entrenched conservative interests in their 19th-century nations prevent modernizing reforms—you know, like abolishing slavery—players start to rail against landowners, exploitative capitalists, and the Petit Bourgeoisie in rants that could have come from Marxists a century ago or today.

"I hate landowners," wrote (opens in new tab) one player just after release. "I hate these inbred, backass backwards, slave owning, tax stealing, progress blocking, head in the sand, law hating, stupid hat wearing, anachronistic assholes, I hate Landowners." 

It's exactly what Mao Zedong himself might've said, except for the swearing, probably. (I am not a historian.) Those rants are happening because in Victoria 3, powerful interest groups can block laws from being passed, and powerful landowners and industrialists will block reforms that could lead to their power, control, and profit being decreased. They love regressive taxation schemes, for example, and ideas like only allowing wealthy people to vote. 

Players are also finding that a properly implemented communist economy can lead them to become not just a dominant world power, but one in which the average standard of living for the lower and middle classes is as high, or higher, than that of the upper strata in other nations.

woke video games :argh:

Convex fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Dec 3, 2022

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

They didn't implement the mechanics realistically unless every other country in the world immediately refuses to trade with you and floods your country with spies and insurrectionist mercenaries to prove why "it doesn't work as a political system."

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

They didn't implement the mechanics realistically unless every other country in the world immediately refuses to trade with you and floods your country with spies and insurrectionist mercenaries to prove why "it doesn't work as a political system."

Kind of, you get embargoed by lots of people and probably also declared war on.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

On the one hand I don't really like paradox grand strategy or their general development model of flogging you countless expansions. But on the other hand from what I've seen of vicky 3 it really does look like if you just implement a lot of the actual material pressures in a capitalist society, you end up at "communism imba plz fix" lol

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The woke nonacentennials and their dialectal materialist ideas about the Paris Commune of 1871 should not be in the videos game :mad:

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Yeah, the feeling I'm getting from the game is that they model the upsides of a lot poo poo decently enough, but treat opposition to extremely radical ideas (in the eyes of the societies modeled) as the kind of opposition establishment liberals might show conservatives today.

Aside from that, they also seem to be backporting modern ideas associated with the ("woke") intelligentsia and applying them to their historical counterparts. Which is how you get the people who who came up with scientific racism to support a multiculturalism that's so effective as a policy that racism actually ceases to exist.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I just read the news about Twisto.

Awful. You'll be missed good lad.

Prole
Jan 13, 2022

But the libs still cling to Keir Starmer and his Party of scabs and landlords because they think he's playing 5D chess by lying to everyone EXCEPT THEM and that he's going to give them Proportional Representation if he becomes PM. Rubes.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Has anyone ever done "Free Palestine" to the tune of "Sweet Caroline"? Cause I'm gonna try and get that going as a footie chant

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016

Failed Imagineer :eightbux: posted:

"Free Palestine" to the tune of "Sweet Caroline"

Legit brilliant. In the sense of "I wish I had thought of it".

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Only Kindness posted:

Legit brilliant. In the sense of "I wish I had thought of it".

Please claim it as your own and go for it.

Also what with the blue-tick in my username when it's quoted? Awful app getting silly?

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
:ssh: It's avant-garde situationist satire w.r.t. The New Twitter (look at the name of the smilie). I'm also just amusing myself. You gotta take your fun where you can get it. The long winter nights just fly by.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Angepain posted:

anyone concerned that hell was freezing over and pigs were taking flight can now be reassured, starmer's labour does not in fact have an actual policy after all:

https://twitter.com/lara_spirit/status/1599011125013532674

https://twitter.com/GdnPolitics/status/1599307147787268101?t=u-JZI6DUXoiVjy6eqWi7Cw&s=19

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Forget Miliband, the return of "political capital" is the big Labour news.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Political capital is expended by taking positions and actually doing things. The way to win at politics is to hoard political capital like Smaug until you retire from politics and all the political capital is instantaneously converted into real capital via sinecure directorships

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
ha ha ha political capital ha ha ha loving hell

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Storing all my political capital on the blockchain to keep myself transparent and accountable

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

Failed Imagineer posted:

Storing all my political capital on the blockchain to keep myself transparent and accountable

Political capital is stored in the Ed Balls

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
WTF?!?

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/nurses-strikes-inflation-zahawi-putin-b2238518.html

quote:

Nurses must drop pay demands to ‘send clear message to Putin’, cabinet minister says
’This is a time to come together and to send a very clear message to Mr Putin that we’re not going to be divided in this way’

Nurses must drop pay demands to ‘send clear message to Putin’, cabinet minister says
’This is a time to come together and to send a very clear message to Mr Putin that we’re not going to be divided in this way’

Nurses and ambulance drivers should drop their demands for pay rises to match soaring inflation to “send a clear message” to Vladimir Putin, a cabinet minister says.

Nadhim Zahawi switched tack in the battle to avert pre-Christmas NHS strikes by claiming they would reveal a “divided” UK when a united front is needed over Russia’s “illegal war”.

etc

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Guavanaut posted:

The woke nonacentennials and their dialectal materialist ideas about the Paris Commune of 1871 should not be in the videos game :mad:
Gonna have invoke my own avatar/post combo here, chief.

josh04 posted:

Forget Miliband, the return of "political capital" is the big Labour news.
Political Kapital.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Political Capital Gains

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Microplastics posted:

Political Capital Gains

Famously no government wants to tax them properly.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Maybe we should be asking nurses to budget their claps more responsibly?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

I think paying nurses more would send a clear message to Putin. Can we put that to the government?

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
We have always been at war with Putin. Anyone not agreeing with the government is a traitor

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Hilarious that the Observer is coming out against Lords reform, what a loving joke of a newspaper.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I'm really hoping this post is a troll, but there a strong chance it's not

https://www.reddit.com/r/ukmedicalcannabis/comments/zbs6mb/taking_my_meds_to_qatar_wish_me_luck/

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

My god, that headline:

https://twitter.com/rafaelbehr/status/1598646848566317061?t=gUpXjdl56LJtb32FzRhEJg&s=19

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

I got about a third of the way through that Behr-fart the other day before I was defeated by the sheer liberalness of it.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Does a Behr poo poo in the newspaper?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

This is funny though.

that article posted:

“There might not be much in it between Rishi and Starmer, but then voters look over their shoulders at who heads a rabble of mad bastards.”

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Tesseraction posted:

Yeah, definitely asking "where are you from" getting an English town and going "yeah no where are you really from, Negroid" with the italics part silent but audible, that's a different ball game to "ah nice, and what's your family heritage?" and if they aren't happy to say then shutting the gently caress up.

As a non white person I hate this question because the my non-white mother is estranged from her family to the point I my grandmother was dead to her even while she was technically alive and I never met her once. So even when it’s asked in a well meaning way from someone who wants to talk about rich heritages or whatever I just have absolutely nothing to add. I feel like I’m supposed to say something interesting about the place but I got nothin.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Dec 4, 2022

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

did that oval office ever stop claiming expenses to heat his horses' stables

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

In a just world he would be dragged from his house and made to beg for forgiveness to every nurse in the country.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
if someone asks you where you're from in a rude way just answer "your ma" imo

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

crispix posted:

if someone asks you where you're from in a rude way just answer "your ma" imo

B- brother?

Mourning Due
Oct 11, 2004

*~ missin u ~*
:canada:

Love how it's "give up your fight" to stand up to Putin, and not "we will properly pay and support our healthcare workers" to stand up to Putin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Angepain posted:

B- brother?

The worst thing about having siblings is the variety of insults you'd love to use but can't: bastard, motherfucker, son of a bitch, etc