Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

:china:

Sally Forth

Peanuts (December 6, 1975)

The Funky Winkerbean "Creeping Fear That We're Never Leaving This Janitor's Closet Again" Tour

Crankshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (July 5, 1939)

Out Our Way (June 27-29, 1940)

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
If this leads into a Repo Man storyline, I'm all for it.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

EasyEW posted:

The Funky Winkerbean "Creeping Fear That We're Never Leaving This Janitor's Closet Again" Tour

This may be a dumb thing, but I really dislike the idea that this time traveler, given no other influence on the timeline, has to do a bunch of work to get things "right." Like, the idea that in a vacuum, without the time traveler's interference, the events wouldn't happen "as they should." There's no evil time traveler or the time traveler's own mistakes loving things up (in this case he lost his time travel device, but we haven't seen that being a source of problems) so to me that says what was "supposed" to happen isn't whatever the time traveler is guiding things to. This time traveler isn't helping, they're a malevolent force that is changing things to suit their narrative.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Their holy book had some confusing and contradictory passages, so he's come back to ensure they're not in it. Saves on schisms.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Doomykins posted:

Can only hope Wanda smashes a diner pie in Mud's face for the storyline conclusion.
I don't think Mud is the kind of dude who gives his partners oral.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Doomykins posted:

Can only hope Wanda smashes a diner pie in Mud's face for the storyline conclusion.
Rhonda seemed turned off by Mud’s lying to get his way in an earlier strip so I think he’s gonna strike out there.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

goatface posted:

Their holy book had some confusing and contradictory passages, so he's come back to ensure they're not in it. Saves on schisms.

Unfortunately last chapter of the book described this meeting and got it classified under "Science Fiction" instead of "Inspirational Biographies", resulting in a billion-dollar blockbuster franchise loosely based on the concept, but no lasting societal effects after the fourth film bombed.

Les, did, however, get a "Best Visual Effects" and a "Best Musical Score" Oscar out of it, though.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Potsticker posted:

This may be a dumb thing, but I really dislike the idea that this time traveler, given no other influence on the timeline, has to do a bunch of work to get things "right." Like, the idea that in a vacuum, without the time traveler's interference, the events wouldn't happen "as they should." There's no evil time traveler or the time traveler's own mistakes loving things up (in this case he lost his time travel device, but we haven't seen that being a source of problems) so to me that says what was "supposed" to happen isn't whatever the time traveler is guiding things to. This time traveler isn't helping, they're a malevolent force that is changing things to suit their narrative.

And here he is, telling her his whole time traveler story as part of her book interview, insuring that the main part of the timeline he was supposedly there to protect is all about him rather than the banalities of small town existence or whatever.

Luann

Gil Thorp

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Hostile V posted:

I don't think Mud is the kind of dude who gives his partners oral.

Murdstone posted:

Rhonda seemed turned off by Mud’s lying to get his way in an earlier strip so I think he’s gonna strike out there.

:argh:

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Is "Terrior" meant to be some weird portmanteau of "terrier" and "warrior"?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Well I doubt they're talking about how the environment you grow grapes in affects your wine.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Oh wait, that's terroir.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popcom

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Updates from me may be spotty over the weekend as I’m travelling, but here’s the next page of Cthulhu and Girl:

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

I guess asking her what she'd like to see would be out of the question.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Potsticker posted:

Alternatively: they're not changing anything. There wasn't an "original" timeline to modify, this is the only timeline. It always included this loving loser going back in time and getting stranded.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Scary Gary - click :drac: for alt host

:drac:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Zereth posted:

Alternatively: they're not changing anything. There wasn't an "original" timeline to modify, this is the only timeline. It always included this loving loser going back in time and getting stranded.

ah, the old "you have to go back in time because there's a record that you did it"

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Ballard Street

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

BigglesSWE posted:

Ballard Street

Life Imitates Art in south Philadelphia

BS is a national treasure.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

EasyEW posted:

Out Our Way (June 24-26, 1940)

This made me laugh out loud so hard.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Wherein It's More Or Less Confirmed Insects Are A Caste Of Undesirables Anyone Will Gladly Betray If It Benefits Them

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

EasyEW posted:

"Also, I had to make sure your mom died of cancer because otherwise a complex chain of events would've unfolded resulting in a global fascist dictatorship. Anyway...."

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

Rex Morgan would be 1000x better if every strip was just Mud dunking on that loser Buck forever

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (December 31, 2000)

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

No Safe Havens on Sundays!

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Prince Valiant

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

In today's Blueberry: Doc raises the stakes, in more ways than one!, or RIP Boone, or Things get out of hand

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The Demons of Baseball

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpcYAvvYLFI

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Well that was a rapid turnaround from bursting into tears everytime she was on-panel to growing a spine a tokusatsu character would admire.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Pondus

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Everyone has their own strips that just disgust them on a visceral reaction level, and mine is Pondus. That art is actively repellant, it's intentionally ugly, I despise it. Posting that much Pondus in a row is a war crime.

Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Curtis

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Vargo posted:

Everyone has their own strips that just disgust them on a visceral reaction level, and mine is Pondus. That art is actively repellant, it's intentionally ugly, I despise it. Posting that much Pondus in a row is a war crime.

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

When I DJ'd at the college radio station, we had to do at least one EBS break at day, and they'd invariably leave it for the last three shifts, any of which I was usually stuck with, so...after 40-years:

(5-seconds dead air)
(PoC's best boring Announcer Voice. I tried to channel Gary Owens):

"This is a test of the Emergency Broadcast System. This is only a test."

Play <tone> / <triple tone> (that part was on a cart)

"This is a test of the Emergency Broadcast System. Broadcasters in your area, in voluntary cooperation with the FCC along with Federal, State, and local authorities, have developed this system to keep you informed in the event of an emergency.

Had this been an actual emergency, the attention signal you just heard would be followed by news, directions, or other official information.

This is only a test"

The only time I ever heard an EBS that wasn't a test was when Three Mile Island scrammed.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 12/3/01

Brenda Starr 12/15-17/49

Smokey Stover 8/5/51

Everyday Movies 11/7/35

"Now, Robert, I beg of you, whatever you do, don't talk back to me in front of your grandmother."

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Vargo posted:

Heart of the City

Perhaps now Dean will seek out the local neopagans (and once again not quite find what he's looking for).

Bizarro

Alt

I dig the stone-tablet-themed swim trunks.

The Family Circus

Alt

FoxTrot

Alt

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

On UFC last night a thing happened which we hadn't seen before

Which reminded me of a place where I had seen something like that before

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Jul. 03, 1938)

Fun fact: the guy on the losing end of both is Norwegian.

But I went back to the beginning of Vintage Val to read the few from before I started following it, which was I think when Val and Gawain were sent on the false quest which was actually a scheme to ransom Gawain. I can't believe that you only started posting them two years ago! It feels like I've been reading along with them forever, in the best possible way. Thanks for posting it; It's consistently one of my favourite things to read.

Also I love the grotesqueness of Pondus. It's the uncanny flat ones like Intelligent Life which are repulsive to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everyone wear hats now
Jul 29, 2010

The Creeps