Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Fitzy Fitz posted:

90% mindless slaughter, loot, collecting, and powering up -- interspersed with moments of the most insanely bizarre systems that are truly impressive in how obtuse they are

Christ I've been playing the game for a few years now but I still remember starting the game and having just a mess of mechanics and terms thrown at me, then I see people on hoverboards, then someone runs by me and a loving mecha with a skull plummets from the sky and then I'm told to get reputation on like Venus and Christ what's happening, also go to the bazaar and spend ducats what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Morpheus posted:

Christ I've been playing the game for a few years now but I still remember starting the game and having just a mess of mechanics and terms thrown at me, then I see people on hoverboards, then someone runs by me and a loving mecha with a skull plummets from the sky and then I'm told to get reputation on like Venus and Christ what's happening, also go to the bazaar and spend ducats what

God, Destiny 2 makes no loving sense...

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Looper posted:

i bought astalon and transiruby recently but i couldn't tell you if they're any good yet

oh gently caress I forgot astalon is on switch. yeah it’s a good rear end game, very hidden gem

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Large Testicles posted:

What's a good Metroidvania under $20 if I already have and have beaten Hollow Knight and both Guacamelees?

Castlevania Advanced Collection. Three of the top vanias ever made in one cheap package. Goes on sale fairly regularly as well if you're the patient type.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

Bug Squash posted:

Castlevania Advanced Collection. Three of the top vanias ever made in one cheap package. Goes on sale fairly regularly as well if you're the patient type.

Already beat all of those years ago and not really looking to replay stuff at the moment. Looking for new poo poo which is why Dead Cells is what I've bought and am about to get into.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

The Maroon Hawk posted:

Luigi’s Mansion 3 owns loving bones, if you played the original on GC you’ll especially love it but even if you didn’t it’s still an incredibly polished gem

Yeah it looks great but fyi LM3 is a very shallow game and unless you're simply delighted by holding down a button to collect coins you'll get bored quickly

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
Both Oris

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Dead Cells is most definitely not a Metroidvania. It's a straight up Roguelite that lets you take different paths if you've unlocked the prereqs.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Is ANNO: Mutationem considered a metroidvania-type? I haven't played it, but it's on my wishlist and it'll get added to my massive backlog eventually (lol).

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug

Large Testicles posted:

What's a good Metroidvania under $20 if I already have and have beaten Hollow Knight and both Guacamelees?

Started playing ori and the blind forest and it’s very good. The second one is supposed to be really good as well.

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

I thought Chasm was pretty okay for a metroidvania too.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Marx Headroom posted:

Yeah it looks great but fyi LM3 is a very shallow game and unless you're simply delighted by holding down a button to collect coins you'll get bored quickly

The kicker: It’s an absolute fuckin’ delight the entire time

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Marx Headroom posted:

Lol this thread.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
my brain broke and wont let me play xenoblade 3 until i finish xenoblade 2

my verdict so far...... xenoblade 2 pwns..... cool music... cool cutscenes.... big baps

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Feels Villeneuve posted:

my brain broke and wont let me play xenoblade 3 until i finish xenoblade 2

my verdict so far...... xenoblade 2 pwns..... cool music... cool cutscenes.... big baps

I wish they had carried over the battle system, its way too simple compared to 1 imo

But pyra owns, love her

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Is going from Xenoblade 3 to Definitive Edition generally considered a bad idea? I have $70 nintendobux burning a hole in my pocket and definitely want to play 3 but will likely get around to 1 eventually.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Xenoblade 1 is really fun and honestly one of the best jrpgs the switch has to offer imo

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
its okay, the combat kinda sucks

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Play XC1 until the combat becomes tedious, then put it on easy mode

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

i think each xenoblade is better than the one previous but they're all good. 3 is insanely good and one of the best rpgs i've ever played, just a fantastic time

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

mandatory lesbian posted:

I wish they had carried over the battle system, its way too simple compared to 1 imo

But pyra owns, love her

the combat system blows 1’s out of the water once the game unlocks all your options

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

An Actual Princess posted:

i think each xenoblade is better than the one previous but they're all good. 3 is insanely good and one of the best rpgs i've ever played, just a fantastic time

I definitely agree with this with the caveat that I haven't played X.

All definitely worth playing and I don't think you're going to feel hamstrung by going from 3 to either of the earlier numbered installments.

Augus posted:

the combat system blows 1’s out of the water once the game unlocks all your options

yeah I really don't think 1s combat is better than 2s. caveat is the blade gacha but you really don't need more than what the game gives you for free to still do cool poo poo

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Augus posted:

Tbf i stopped playing xb2 to play pokemon but as it stands it felt incredibly simple, it would be nice if it just gets more complications to it

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
from what i'm playing it's one of those games that drip-feeds mechanics to you throughout the first like 20 hours

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
Yeah combat going back from 3 to 1 will definitely be the toughest part of that sequence, but DE is absolutely worth playing in its own right. I agree that all 3 are very good games (IMO 2 is largely hampered by some design choices in the early game that turn a lot of people off), and 100% agree that 3 is an incredible experience top to bottom and easily a top 3 JRPG I've ever played.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Please god port Xenoblade X to switch. I want to do epic raid battles online again.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Welcome aboard! Yeah it's a great system with too many games. Kind of hard to recommend without knowing your personal tastes...but for your general knowledge, Nintendo developed games don't go on sale very often. And it just so happens that the black friday sale is winding down, so if you're interested in Odyssey, Mario Kart, Animal Crossing, or perhaps even Metroid Dread...you should probably get cracking.

You may have noticed that the eshop interface sucks noodles, fortunately https://www.dekudeals.com is a great sale tracker

If you are curious about any of the games, ask in this thread. There are usually plenty of opinions :q:

Dekudeals is how I managed BOTW for $29! Fun site, but wildly dangerous for the wallet

Only conundrum I'm facing now is, I'd prefer digital copies over physical, but the digital copies never seem to have any sales :qq:

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
digital first party titles go 30% off a couple times a year but that's as good as it'll get

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Ragequit posted:

The kicker: It’s an absolute fuckin’ delight the entire time

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Papercut posted:

Minecraft dungeons is pretty fun

I feel like the only other person itt who feels this way. I really enjoy it, it's cross-platform, and fun for kids, too.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

mandatory lesbian posted:

Tbf i stopped playing xb2 to play pokemon but as it stands it felt incredibly simple, it would be nice if it just gets more complications to it

I'm playing XB2 right now, and I'm hoping XB3 is even more simple, because XB2's combat system is giving me headaches sometimes. My brain just rejects stuff like how energy ball breaking works on principle.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I feel like the only other person itt who feels this way. I really enjoy it, it's cross-platform, and fun for kids, too.

Local co-op is great too

CRAZY KNUCKLES FAN
Aug 12, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Large Testicles posted:

La Mulana is $15

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Finally cleared all medals in ScarVio. It's been a blast rotating my team around for each one, if only performance were better and the maps had a bit more to them it'd be the best Pokemon game of all time.

Now I just have what looks like the "epilogues" of each main path left, are they all around the same level or is there a reccomended order?

Also gotta try and build a final team and it's gonna be tough chossing among new mons only: I've settled on Skelledirge, Clodsire and Braxcalibur. I really wanted to bring Lokix since I love them but Bug/Dark conflicts a lot with Skellidirge, and I have to bring a Fighting type since I got spoiled on Larry but my options are a)Pawmot, which no b)Annihilape, which repeats type and c)Water Tauros, which I have to find. Also probably an Electric or Grass type for Water types just in case. Will have to think carefully...

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
I picked up Tales of Vesperia for $8, seems pretty neat so far. I only did 1-2 battles then saved but I dig the main character's design. The combat seems slow as if there's a delay to your inputs, might take some time getting used to it. Still, feels nice to dig into a cozy classic RPG. Cel-shading always looks great with JRPGs imo

What I really want is FFXII Zodiac Age but I ain't biting until it hits $30 or less. Oh I also got Luminous Avenger IX2 at full price ($24) so I feel like I kinda took a bath on that one but at least it's short so there's a good chance I'll actually complete it.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Finally cleared all medals in ScarVio. It's been a blast rotating my team around for each one, if only performance were better and the maps had a bit more to them it'd be the best Pokemon game of all time.

Now I just have what looks like the "epilogues" of each main path left, are they all around the same level or is there a reccomended order?

Also gotta try and build a final team and it's gonna be tough chossing among new mons only: I've settled on Skelledirge, Clodsire and Braxcalibur. I really wanted to bring Lokix since I love them but Bug/Dark conflicts a lot with Skellidirge, and I have to bring a Fighting type since I got spoiled on Larry but my options are a)Pawmot, which no b)Annihilape, which repeats type and c)Water Tauros, which I have to find. Also probably an Electric or Grass type for Water types just in case. Will have to think carefully...

that's just more story OP not an epilogue

edit: no seriously all three paths converge at the main plot point of going into the crater

Len fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Dec 4, 2022

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Len posted:

that's just more story OP not an epilogue

Oh, I meant in the sense that it felt like each would finish their path? I know there's extra stuff after you finish all of them, but since I finished every montyoe thing I wanted to build a balanced team instead of tailored ones.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Did the voice acting budget for pokemon just go to this Ed Sheeran song?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Len posted:

Did the voice acting budget for pokemon just go to this Ed Sheeran song?

I wouldn’t count on us getting voice acting in a Pokémon game any time soon (though weirdly enough the trailers/promos for SV had a ton of it), most likely because you can name your protagonist and everyone in the game refers to you by that name constantly

Larryb fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Dec 5, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Postman
May 12, 2007

they should let me pay them to play symphony of the night on my switch