Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

Anno posted:

Awesome. So have people just had ongoing worlds for (real life) years now? Or do big updates necessitate a new world?

Kruggsmash the YouTuber seems to do this, where he’s made a number of fortresses in succession in the same world, making a series of videos about each one (and tries to make the fortresses relate to each other somehow narratively or even in gameplay directly), in the same ever-changing world.

It’s one of the coolest aspects of the game, imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

leekster posted:

Where can I read about the 500 year fort?

verbal enema posted:

Archcrystal: the 374 (wtf!) year old fort still going strong currently building a glass tower from hell to the surface

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=156319.0

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Songbearer posted:

The story that keeps coming back to my mind is trawling through Histories (Legends? It's been a while) for significant characters. I came across a named crocodile that had been killing shitloads of people until one dude came up against it, fought it and lost an arm. He fled from the battle only to come back and fight the crocodile again months later after recovering.

Now this wouldn't be all that special except the guy fought this crocodile for decades and each time either he'd flee or the crocodile would flee, only to go back and do it again and again and again for seemingly all of recorded history. The crocodile never slew anyone again, nor did the guy ever change his route in life. I can't tell if it was a somber tale of a man and his eternal duty to keep this crocodile busy for the good of mankind or a heartwarming story of a man and a beast content to wrestle each other as best buds forever

I love legends mode. If I remember there was some kind of mod or something that made it easier to read through legends, I hope that's a thing with steam release given there's even workshop integration already! Playing a fort and looking up all your immigrants to see if they got up to anything before you started is always fun.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I have great news for you about the vanilla legends viewer that's going to be in the Steam release

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

This is amazing, there's a summary pdf at that link

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Super pro click, do not skip. However cool you think this might be it's actually much cooler.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

PinheadSlim posted:

Super pro click, do not skip. However cool you think this might be it's actually much cooler.

The font is loving eye-searing and keeps arbitrarily changing mid-sentence, this is one of the most physically discomforting PDF's I've ever read but I can't look away

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Yeah poo poo this is really good.

I generated a world once - I'm sure it happens all the time - where a necromancer basically turned everything in the whole world into his creatures over a period of a few centuries. Just a whole planet filled with the undead and nothing else.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
My favorite df story is the Mermaid death camp bone farm that Toady took one look at, said "gently caress this" and immediately set the trade value of sentient beings body parts to the ground.

My favorite fortress I ever did was a massive fortress built into the side of a perfectly flat cliff on a map with a hosed up waterfall. I was using Masterwork DF's Orcs, and built a hellfort that could basically take on the world. 4 Z layers of fortifications covered by 8 archer squads that looked over a ramped approach I carved into my bases's entrance. A bunch of melee squads with legendary skills with heavy layered armor and beastly weapons who lived and trained in my base's entrance that happily took out anything that survived the arrow barrage.

Drawbridges? Traps? Those are for children (though I did use some cage traps eventually to start an invader zoo). That base could handle drat near anything with zero input from me once I set civillians to not go outside and got the training scheduling down. Eventually it ran into a persistent crash and died.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
My plan is just to spend the first few weeks doing worldgen until I find an ideal site -- volcano with sand and iron and flux, and ideally a nice shape to the geography

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

I am instead gonna find the shittiest backwater place with probably no above ground resources and hope the stated "Shallow metal" isnt just Cassiterite all the way down like it always is.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

My plan is just to spend the first few weeks doing worldgen until I find an ideal site -- volcano with sand and iron and flux, and ideally a nice shape to the geography

This plus a deep soil layer and I'm good

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

This plus a deep soil layer and I'm good

username/post

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
I'm going to set up shop at a desert volcano and build the glorious glass castle (glasstle) of my dreams.

e: it will have catapults, because all dwarven sayings are pro-stone throwing irrespective of the glass content of one's house

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I for one am hyped.

idk how gang tags work but it would be sweet to make one for DF Steam release. I of course do not have artistic talents to actually do this properly.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

im going to make several extremely boring forts followed up by a nightmare fort in hell

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Popete posted:

I for one am hyped.

idk how gang tags work but it would be sweet to make one for DF Steam release. I of course do not have artistic talents to actually do this properly.

I too need a DF gang tag

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

OwlFancier posted:

username/post

:perfect:

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

username/post

lol that's good

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Has it been said if this game will have cloud saves?

Picking it up day 1, but going on a business trip and bringing my laptop and dont necessarily want to have multiple games going.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

Deki posted:

My favorite df story is the Mermaid death camp bone farm that Toady took one look at, said "gently caress this" and immediately set the trade value of sentient beings body parts to the ground.
That wasn't a single fort. That was one guy realising that mermaid skull totems were worth a fortune after one washed ashore and air-drowned. They then started a thread on the DF forums where dozens of people brainstormed and made experimental forts to harvest mermaids for their bones, which eventually turned into a shallow water breeding programme with pumps and sluices to wash the infants out of the parents pens and then mature them for air-drowning.

This was back in 40d, so one of the more amusing suggestions was to start at a good aligned intersection of mountains and ocean and divert the ocean into a chasm and set up grates to strain out the mermaids.

I confess that I even tried it myself, casting a massive obsidian island in the ocean off the shore and digging a fort out of it. I abandoned the project because no loving mermaids showed up :(

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Harminoff posted:

Has it been said if this game will have cloud saves?

Picking it up day 1, but going on a business trip and bringing my laptop and dont necessarily want to have multiple games going.

I don’t recall about cloud saves, but the save format is a single zip file so manually moving it around is easy enough if not

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Popete posted:

I for one am hyped.

Just make an image of the right size and we can apply it. I think it should be "post a description of your world and a story" and get the tag, maybe?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

sebmojo posted:

Just make an image of the right size and we can apply it. I think it should be "post a description of your world and a story" and get the tag, maybe?

That's a good idea. Maybe just something fun you've spotted in your new game, so people who spend three weeks reading Legends (me) don't get left out.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

ItohRespectArmy posted:

im going to make several extremely boring forts followed up by a nightmare fort in hell

I'm going to purchase and install immediately, zero hour, and play furiously but clumsily through the weekend, and then peter out over the course of the following week and then go back to just lurking the thread. Dorf fortress!!

On-the-nose sarcasm aside, though, this is genuinely rad.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I too need a DF gang tag

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

ItohRespectArmy posted:

one of my long-term plans for a gimmick fort is to make a tibetan-style monastery on some frozen mountain and connect a bunch of little buildings carved into the cliff face with bridges and poo poo.

one of the main barriers was that i would only want to accept devoutly religious male dwarves w/o family, and until semi-recently that would have meant murdering migrants to filter them out which wasn't really the vibe i was going for. now, however, you can create colonies of your main fortress and send dwarves there, so not only does it evade the murder issue it also imitates the real-life phenomenon of monasteries typically being mutually supported by a regular community anyways

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Dec 4, 2022

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

one of my long-term plans for a gimmick fort is to make a tibetan-style monastery on some frozen mountain and connect a bunch of little buildings carved into the cliff face with bridges and poo poo.

one of the main barriers was that i would only want to accept devoutly religious male dwarves w/o family, and until semi-recently that would have meant murdering migrants to filter them out which wasn't really the vibe i was going for. now, however, you can create colonies of your main fortress and send dwarves there, so not only does it evade the murder issue it also imitates the real-life phenomenon of monasteries typically being mutually supported by a regular community anyways

i hope this means you can banish dwarven babies into their own lord of the flies style fort.

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

ItohRespectArmy posted:

i hope this means you can banish dwarven babies into their own lord of the flies style fort.

The ones that survive to adulthood (16?) rejoin the fort. I like where this is going.

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I too need a DF gang tag

Same, but how many gangtags can one have?

Edit, DF wiki:
Baby stage ends a year after birth.
Child at: 1
Adult at: 12
Max age: 150-170

RBA-Wintrow fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Dec 4, 2022

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

madmatt112 posted:

The ones that survive to adulthood (16?) rejoin the fort. I like where this is going.

yeah that'd be awesome

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

RBA-Wintrow posted:

Same, but how many gangtags can one have?

I think it's three

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

I wanna be in dorf gang!

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

I’m pumped to once again send 7 musicians into the woods to build a tavern of dreams…

…or is it, a tavern of nightmares!?!?!?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I think it's three

If you desperately want more you can use a marquee tag to make them scroll, but yeah three is the maximum height of the tag stack

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

I always like doing Librarys in this game, looking forward to my new monastery/library settlement

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

I’ve never had a gang tag, and would love to have a DorfTag

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

sebmojo posted:

What is the maximum tag size?

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I still think about some guy's legend where they found an elf father who's son was captured in an attack by goblins on their town. It took them decades to rally enough elves to finally counter-attack. In the midst of battle the father had to face his son in combat as his son was brainwashed into helping the goblins. The elves lost and the father retreated, never having rescued his son. Real brutal stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

my dad posted:

The funny thing is, I wasn't testing for the Arena challenge. I was trying to get to the bottom of some weird poo poo I noticed in my regular games (I like to know why things happen rather than settling on just knowing what happens), and then eureka, knowledge that happened to be applicable to the Arena Tournament, too.

e: I think Scamtank later brought up someone's experiments elsewhere that came to the same conclusions (except far more methodically and systematically than me) and I remember feeling super smug about it :v:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3568167
my favorite thing was the arena challenge.
a lot of upset victories and losses happened due to dwarf fortress complexity.

also would be up for gangtag just replace the goonited nations one