Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

Jazerus posted:

don't recruit apes into your military, imo

They are the best, so strong tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Vulin posted:

Maybe being openly and blatantly betrayed by the US will make some EU countries rethink their position.

lol

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
keeping track of all the posters who have lost faith in president putin's plan who will need to give him a big apology smooch in a few weeks

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Futanari Damacy posted:

Canada has a fake military (as I understand) because there is way larger of a command structure than is technically required for so small a force, basically to help preserve a semblance of national autonomy as opposed to openly acknowledging it is a client state of the US/UK in matters of defense (defence? :confused:)

In Defence Policy this is called Defence Against Help.

Defence Against Help encapsulates in shorthand a presumed fundamental fear of successive Canadian governments: if Canada does not provide at least minimum levels of defence against external threats so as not to leave the United States vulnerable, the United States will undertake unilateral actions without consultation and threaten, if not violate, Canada’s sovereignty. In effect, Defence Against Help is supposed to explain Canadian motives in the evolution of the North American defence relationship between Canada and the US and predicts that Canada will do more, rather than less, to guard against “help”.

Formally, it's presented by Orvik like this:

"The United States’ first reaction would be to expect Canada, as a sovereign nation, to act firmly and effectively to prevent any foreign intruder from gaining control of even the smallest, most desolate part of Canada’s national territory. After all, this is what sovereignty and national security is all about. If Canada did not do so, or even unduly delayed its response, the United States would offer its help in a way that Canada could not refuse"

This logic led to the indivisibility of the security of the North American continent from both Canadian and American perspectives. This focused Canadian strategic thinking further: how to contribute to continental defence in a way that satisfies US demands and prevents American infringement upon Canadian sovereignty at minimal costs for Canada. This strategic culture outlasted the Cold War. Long after the fall of the Berlin Wall, the potential consequences of diverging significantly from America’s security expectations are still understood as too great for any Canadian government to contemplate the idea of any radical alteration to the status quo. Indeed, many of the “new” threats identified by the Canadian governments since the 1990s coincide with the threats defined by the United States.

The best example of this is that after 9/11, much of Canada’s strategic thinking has focused on avoiding another “9/12”— code for the pain of a severely tightened Canada-US border on which the Canadian economy vastly depends. Looking back at history, however, it is in fact safe to say that “U.S. paranoia about the border” has always kept Canadian elites awake at night, thus influencing every Canadian policy ever made. The Trump administration’s mercantilist attacks at “very unfair” Canadian trade practices could be seen in this context as well. So can Canada's coronavirus response, limiting public health policies against the advice of Public Health officials and counter to public opinion, to instead mirror as closely as possible US policy and keep the border open. Accordingly, the trope that best captures Canada-US relations is “defence against the lock-down”, and then beyond that, Defence Against Help.

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Canada's military functions like any western military, to serve as a blood tithe whenever the US needs it and in return the US supports them in their neo colonial efforts - or else the US may "help" them in a way indistinguishable from invasion.

Turtle Watch posted:

I don’t want FF to think I’m trying to bait him into a probe by answering my question about what this joke is so I just looked it up myself:

lmao
Oh, and the answer is "to Leave an Orc, to Find an Orc, or to Be an Orc"

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 16:20 on Dec 4, 2022

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

you don't say

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

A Bakers Cousin posted:

I used to tell this story to describe the military.

So there were these scientists testing a group of apes and have them in a decent environment. But on a table away from everything is a big red button. If the button gets pushed each of the apes receives a shock through a collar they are all wearing.

Soon the apes learn to not touch the red button. But then they swap out a collar ape for a new ape, with no collar. When the new ape tries to go near the table with the button the collared apes attack the new ape. Soon the new ape learns to avoid the table and button.

Then another collared ape is replaced with a new uncollared ape and the cycle repeats. Only this time the first uncollared ape joins in on the attack.

So on and so on the exchange continues until the final exchange where the last collared ape is removed and now all the apes defend the button without knowing why.

Anyway thats the military and the military is the government.

then caesar ape pushes the button, finds out its bullshit and overthrows the researchers

speng31b
May 8, 2010

https://twitter.com/NieblaGuerra/status/1599079843806662656

oops

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Seems hard to make this work. Ukraine wasn't joining NATO before Russia attacked, and they still got invaded. Then a guarantee of not joining NATO was part of the March discussions, and that didn't work. Unless the pain of the conflict has changed Russia's opinion on what is acceptable as a guarantee of compliance with Russia's interests.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

mlmp08 posted:

Seems hard to make this work. Ukraine wasn't joining NATO before Russia attacked, and they still got invaded. Then a guarantee of not joining NATO was part of the March discussions, and that didn't work. Unless the pain of the conflict has changed Russia's opinion on what is acceptable as a guarantee of compliance with Russia's interests.

ukraine was openly pursuing NATO membership and NATO was explicitly refusing to discuss the possibility of ruling it out

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

V. Illych L. posted:

ukraine was openly pursuing NATO membership and NATO was explicitly refusing to discuss the possibility of ruling it out

I think Russia is bright enough to know Ukraine wasn't going to get into into NATO any time this decade. If you want to stick with proclaimed posturing counts as the Real Reason why the war happened, then Russia also claimed Ukraine isn't a real country and belongs to Russia...

By early March, Ukraine was publicly offering a deal to abandon NATO membership. Russia refused, the war continued, now Ukraine has hardened its stance for a variety of reasons.

First week of March 2022:

quote:

In another apparent nod aimed at placating Moscow, Zelensky said he is open to "compromise" on the status of two breakaway pro-Russian territories that President Vladimir Putin recognized as independent just before unleashing the invasion on February 24.

"I have cooled down regarding this question a long time ago after we understood that ... NATO is not prepared to accept Ukraine," Zelensky said in an interview aired Monday night on ABC News.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

mlmp08 posted:

I think Russia is bright enough to know Ukraine wasn't going to get into into NATO any time this decade.

lol

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

someone needs to be reminded about the track record of cspam predictions.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Hey, sometimes Russia, the US and Europe are on the same page about things, and maybe Ukraine got left out of that conversation...

E: This war may have accelerated NATO membership rather than delayed it for Ukraine, but there's a lot of uncertainty over the next 12-24 months.

mlmp08 has issued a correction as of 16:49 on Dec 4, 2022

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Joining NATO is literally in the Ukrainian Constitution

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

mlmp08 posted:

Did Russia break off the talks in March?

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

so is the first amendment but that gets stepped on all the time

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I guess if the argument is that practically Ukraine was never going to join NATO despite what it says on the tin, then giving up the on-paper claims should be on the table, right?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

genericnick posted:

Did Russia break off the talks in March?

This avoids my point: For Russia, a guarantee not to be in NATO is not good enough to end the conflict or withdraw. They have demands and aims that go much farther than that, as evidenced by the last 12+ months of activity.

We could find out for a fact that God is real, and Ukraine signs a soul-pact with God itself never to join NATO, and that wouldn't satisfy Russia's aims, based on Russia's actions.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQKdqxCla24

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

mlmp08 posted:

This avoids my point: For Russia, a guarantee not to be in NATO is not good enough to end the conflict or withdraw. They have demands and aims that go much farther than that, as evidenced by the last 12+ months of activity.

Obviously. But Macron is also not talking about NATO membership specifically here, so I don't know what the point is?

speng31b
May 8, 2010

once Russia decided to invade they were going for regime change, neutrality, demilitarization etc. not much ambiguity there. why go to war for less?

but you can't use that as an argument that they might not have invaded if Ukraine had backed off on NATO stuff prior to Russia's decision to invade. lolling at "Russia is so big and smart they knew it wasn't real, so it's actually a fake reason". one of the hands down stupidest arguments itt.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Lmao that such an obvious propaganda outlet is losing faith in the economic war.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

speng31b posted:

but you can't use that as an argument that they might not have invaded if Ukraine had backed off on NATO stuff prior to Russia's decision to invade.

I'm not making that argument. I think Ukraine could have renounced NATO membership forever in February, and they still would have been invaded by Russia, based on all available evidence we have of Russian preparation and goals in the war.

NATO guarantees are among several of Russia's goals. It never was the lynchpin on which the war was launched.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

mlmp08 posted:

I'm not making that argument. I think Ukraine could have renounced NATO membership forever in February

in February it was almost definitely too late, not sure the exact timing at which it would have changed Russian thinking but there's some point at which it would have deescalated

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

gradenko_2000 posted:

I think joining the EU is in the Turkish one and lol

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

mawarannahr posted:

I think joining the EU is in the Turkish one and lol

At least Turkey is playing from a position of strength right now, unlike Ukraine. Economy aside, but everyone is having some economic trouble right now.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1597470845831708672
https://twitter.com/HarZizn/status/1598010758662541313
https://twitter.com/UAChernyshov/status/1599405538659270657

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Lostconfused posted:

At least Turkey is playing from a position of strength right now, unlike Ukraine. Economy aside, but everyone is having some economic trouble right now.

well, Turkey is having the worst economic troubles my some measures, though I’d rather have economic trouble in turkey than Ukraine even if the latter has better numbers in some way.

USAID ftw

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

I’m disgusted in the lack of effort from the Russian forces, no pep in their step

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
how's the war gone while i awas banned?

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

lollontee posted:

Russia hosed up and has to go home

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Nonsense posted:

I’m disgusted in the lack of effort from the Russian forces, no pep in their step

At this time of year too!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgyliXHF9j8

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

lollontee posted:

Europe is screaming uncle while Ukriane is screaming blood.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I think it can be argued that very few countries are acting within their national interests because the ruling class benefits from global supply chains and economic ties. A return to fascism is pretty much guaranteed when they stop seeing those benefits, maybe that's even happening already in the peripheries of the European Union where the local bourgeoisie are getting a smaller share of the pie.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Lostconfused posted:

I think it can be argued that very few countries are acting within their national interests because the ruling class benefits from global supply chains and economic ties. A return to fascism is pretty much guaranteed when they stop seeing those benefits, maybe that's even happening already in the peripheries of the European Union where the local bourgeoisie are getting a smaller share of the pie.

It has interesting implications for Defence Against Help because as they weaken their states it opens up the possibility of the US getting involved.

I realize elites think they're of no nation, but they're going to find out real quick that the toast of the town in Toronto or Antwerp is not even in the same league as New York or Silicon Valley money.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

mawarannahr posted:

Russia hosed up and has to go home

harsh. they brought so much to the party, but... they just too drunk

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

lollontee posted:

welcome back. were you bongmaster? rip if so that weren't nice. double rip if not

also russia did not in fact bring enough to the party

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Cuttlefush posted:

welcome back. were you bongmaster? rip if so that weren't nice. double rip if not

also russia did not in fact bring enough to the party

i am the bongmaster, and gently caress the mods. and yeah now that you mentioned it... what russia brought seemed like it was hueg, but it turns out it was mostly paper mache filled with 20 year old rapists

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
huh...

Anyway, the issue was also NATO weaponry and support more than simply entry into NATO as well and it was clear that the US was going to seriously start upping military aid.

From January 2022:

quote:

Continued tensions between Ukraine and Russia have led to the U.S. providing 90 tons of military aid that arrived in Ukraine, as roughly 100,000 Russian troops remain stationed along the border.

The shipment is part of the additional $200 million of "lethal aid" approved by President Biden in late December and includes ammunition for Ukraine's front-line defenders, the U.S. Embassy in Kyiv tweeted. Overall, the U.S. has provided $650 million in defense equipment and services to Ukraine in the past year — the most it has ever given that country, according to the State Department.

"The United States and its allies and partners are standing together to expedite security assistance to Ukraine," Secretary of State Antony Blinken said in a tweet on Friday. "We are utilizing all available security cooperation tools to help Ukraine bolster its defenses in the face of Russian aggression."

This comes after Blinken visited Kyiv and met with his Kremlin counterpart, Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov, in Switzerland earlier this week.

The US had been provoking the Russians for a while, the Russians were just a mark by taking the bait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
oh i know, but this flood of material aid to THEE ukraine was the least they should've expected in case they failed to end the war in a hurry. idk, seems kinda like a major fail to not plan for that