Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I just had a thought about something, but someone here has an answer.

Is there a reason for why Chinese names are written the way they are in English? For example, why is it "Cao Cao" and not something like "Tsao Tsao" which would be more accurate afaik?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
It's a very long story and a huge can of worms, but the short answer is that the current hanyu pinyin system of romanization (under which we got 'Cao Cao') was developed in the 1950s in China as a government project to create an 'in-house' romanization system, and was heavily exported after that, before eventually being adopted as an international standard in the 1980s. Its usage remains contentious to this day, and there are still people who refuse to use it.

As for specific reasons on why that particular spelling was chosen, that's far out of my area of expertise. No romanization system is ever going to be perfect, though.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Inadequately posted:

It's a very long story and a huge can of worms, but the short answer is that the current hanyu pinyin system of romanization (under which we got 'Cao Cao') was developed in the 1950s in China as a government project to create an 'in-house' romanization system, and was heavily exported after that, before eventually being adopted as an international standard in the 1980s. Its usage remains contentious to this day, and there are still people who refuse to use it.

As for specific reasons on why that particular spelling was chosen, that's far out of my area of expertise. No romanization system is ever going to be perfect, though.

I see. I did assume that it was something along those lines. Thanks.

NameHurtBrain
Jan 17, 2015
There's some sounds that just aren't going to be romanized right I think.

Sun Quan would be something like Soon Schwen but even that's not right I think?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Total War Three Kingdoms had native pronunciations for the name and it was wild hearing a name and going 'wait, that's the actual pronunciation?' Happened to me with Sun Jian, Ma Teng (makes sense when you remember who the Ce in Taishi Ce is pronounced though), Dong Zhuo and a few others. Cao Cao, Liu Bei and Yuan Shao ended up being the most straightforward.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I feel like even within dynasty warriors the pronunciations evolved over time. I could’ve sworn earlier games had “cow cow” and “seema yee” but I could be misremembering

I just seem to recall some jokes about the first time “cao pi” shows up, which only work if you pronounce his name wrong (at least, I’m pretty sure that’s wrong)

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Ainsley McTree posted:

I feel like even within dynasty warriors the pronunciations evolved over time. I could’ve sworn earlier games had “cow cow” and “seema yee” but I could be misremembering

https://youtu.be/uIRRTm65AtA

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
cow pee

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I wish I could find the Ro3K translation that westernized everyone's names

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Runa posted:

I wish I could find the Ro3K translation that westernized everyone's names

I bookmarked it properly last time I asked in this thread because I wanted to see it again lol

https://www.e-reading.club/book.php?book=93594

What are the better pre-PS2 ROTK/NA games?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

kirbysuperstar posted:

I bookmarked it properly last time I asked in this thread because I wanted to see it again lol

https://www.e-reading.club/book.php?book=93594

What are the better pre-PS2 ROTK/NA games?

lmao

thanks

zhuge liang
Feb 14, 2019

Jack Trades posted:

I just had a thought about something, but someone here has an answer.

Is there a reason for why Chinese names are written the way they are in English? For example, why is it "Cao Cao" and not something like "Tsao Tsao" which would be more accurate afaik?

The principles behind this romanization (Hanyu pinyin) are clarity and consistency. Initials tend to be one letter and are always pronounced the same way. This leads to some unintuitive letter-sound combinations for native western language speakers, but overall pinyin is much easier and smoother to read than prior romanization systems. For example, the older Wade-Giles system would have romanized Cao Cao as "Ts'ao Ts'ao" (representing the initials using ts with apostrophes) which as an individual example may feel more intuitive to you, but it reuses "ts" (without apostrophes) for the sound represented in pinyin by "z" so Zang Ba (pinyin) becomes Tsang Pa (Wade-Giles). Similarly, Zhang Fei would be Chang Fei in Wade-Giles while Chen Gong is Ch'en Kung, again using the same letters with an apostrophe to represent very different sounds. There's also cases where Wade-Giles uses the same letters to represent actually different sounds, e.g. the q in pinyin Da Qiao is a different sound than the ch in pinyin Cheng Pu, but Wade-Giles writes them both with ch' (Ta Ch'iao, Ch'eng P'u).

The upshot of all this is that I can glance at a list of pinyin names and instantly know how they are all meant to be pronounced but I always have to do a little mental adjustment when I see Wade-Giles and remember which one is the aspirated vs unaspirated consonant. Pinyin is not perfect but it's a huge improvement over what came before.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

I’ve been playing a bunch of DW3 lately on the Steam Deck. It’s so hard, but it’s great. It’s a lot different because the basic goons can really mess your day up. Just finished Musou mode with Zhao Yun on Normal. That is much harder than it sounds, when you’re starting from scratch.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Chinook posted:

I’ve been playing a bunch of DW3 lately on the Steam Deck. It’s so hard, but it’s great. It’s a lot different because the basic goons can really mess your day up. Just finished Musou mode with Zhao Yun on Normal. That is much harder than it sounds, when you’re starting from scratch.

Play an archer or crossbow-heavy level as Xu Zhu or Guan Yu. It's awful.

DW3 was peak "Archers are empowered by Satan himself".

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Archers are still probably the main consistent threat in later games too, just never to the level of older games. Usually most noticeable on higher difficulties and it becomes obvious the main thing consistently hurting you is random arrows.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
I got Orochi 3 off the last Steam sale. Mostly enjoying it but I'm running into some weird glitches on my Deck.

For one, cutscenes have some audio desync. I've fiddled with some settings but I have no idea how to fix this kind of thing in general.

Another is that character's skin tones keep changing? Not sure if it's a quirk of the lighting, but it can range from normal, to ash grey, to sunburn red, to bronze. Mostly seems to happen in cutscenes and cut-ins when you Musou attacks and whatnot. It's very weird.

Also Kiyomori is a motherfucker to fight for some reason. Always seems to pop his Musou and take me from zero-to-death in one swoop.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Alacron posted:

Also Kiyomori is a motherfucker to fight for some reason. Always seems to pop his Musou and take me from zero-to-death in one swoop.

Himiko will do this too. Saving before fighting unique officers is usually a good idea in the Orochi games, since a lot of fights can turn into rocket tag.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
The scariest thing in DW3 being a bunch of peasants with bows ruled

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Looks like you're chasing Liu Bei from Changban with victory in sight.

Whoops, game just spawned some Shu archers.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

5-Headed Snake God posted:

Himiko will do this too. Saving before fighting unique officers is usually a good idea in the Orochi games, since a lot of fights can turn into rocket tag.

Yeah, I've lost something like 3 stages to Kiyomori, 1 to Himiko, 1 to Masamune, and 1 because I was fiddling with buttons during the stage results screen and accidentally found that pressing Start and Select at the same time soft resets the game :downs:

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
Of the Dynasty / Samurai / Orochi games available on PC*, which have good, local co-op? I've been playing musou games for the past couple weeks and my friend was reminiscing about playing through the story modes in the PS2 games through co-op. We tried the PC ports of DW7 and SW5 yesterday and were very discouraged.

I'm not sure if it was a technical problem or not, but DW7 felt very unpleasant to control and I think co-op was limited to non-story modes. I remember Conquest mode or whatever it's called was fairly fun, but I'd prefer to play through a coherent story mode with larger missions if possible.

SW5 forces you to play a few missions to unlock story mode co-op, after which you play one mission together and then immediately get another mission without co-op. This annoyed us so much that we gave up for the day.

At this rate, I'm thinking we'll either give up on the whole project or just run DW3 on an emulator or something. I don't know why Omega Force imposes all these pointless limitations in a series a lot of people have nostalgia for in terms of couch co-op.

*I have a PS4, SW4, and WO3. Is local co-op in either of those any good? And while I'm not really interested in any of the anime games, I do have a Switch somewhere so I might consider whichever Hyrule Warriors game is on that. Do they still have all the annoying big monster enemies you have to fight?

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Every few months I think 'should I try Samurai Warriors 5'? I was unimpressed with the demo, and as I look up takes on it, it seems like a serviceable action game but otherwise a step back from what made musou games fun.

Is there anything unspoken about SW5 that actually makes it really good? Or is it just okay?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I've only played SW5 demo but it at least seemed like the game had no dash cancelling and I just cannot play musou games that don't have it anymore. It feels so stiff.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Morter posted:

Every few months I think 'should I try Samurai Warriors 5'? I was unimpressed with the demo, and as I look up takes on it, it seems like a serviceable action game but otherwise a step back from what made musou games fun.

Is there anything unspoken about SW5 that actually makes it really good? Or is it just okay?

Not really. It's one of the better recent musou games by default since almost everything from DW9 until Three Hopes finally righted the ship some is bland or severely lacking in some aspects at best and is Dynasty Warriors 9 at worst and SW5 is a perfectly serviceable bite of some Musou gruel that isn't really bad in any particular way, but if you've got anything left to try from the pre-DW9 era (or have a Switch and access to Three Hopes) I'd play that instead.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Yeah I've been playing Three Hopes so SW5 would be a bit of a downgrade, it sounds like. Thanks.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
My only issue with SW5 is it definitely feels like 1/3 of a game. I like SW5's take on the Oda story well enough, but you can really feel the lack of Hideyoshi and Tokugawa's campaigns.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Orb Crabmelt posted:

Of the Dynasty / Samurai / Orochi games available on PC*, which have good, local co-op?
-obligatory DW8XL suggestion-

Orb Crabmelt posted:

At this rate, I'm thinking we'll either give up on the whole project or just run DW3 on an emulator or something.
:hmmyes: This is always a good option too. Be sure to include the XL expansion!

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

What's the DW7 of Samurai Warriors in terms of doing a good job with the narrative across the course of the game?

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Mode 7 posted:

What's the DW7 of Samurai Warriors in terms of doing a good job with the narrative across the course of the game?

I remember Samurai Warriors 3 having a really good presentation for its overall story. Sucks that it's stuck on the Wii and we never got the 3Z version.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Samurai Warriors Chronicles 3 might also be worth a look if you don't mind a portable game, and your character being a OC character (both male and female OCs have fun movesets though). The story basically has your character being in Oda, Hideyoshi, and Tokugawa's armies so you get the general gist of the major players. The narrative of Samurai Warriors is a bit less cohesive compared to Dynasty Warriors since 3 and 4 basically added a lot of factions outside of the scope of the 3 Unifiers, so you get a lot of stories that are a bit unrelated to the central story. 4 does give each faction its own story campaign at least. SW1-3 are more character campaigns akin to DW5.

Arguably, SW5 tried to do what DW7 did, but like I said, it only focuses on the Oda campaign so it's very limited in scope compared to the other games, and there's a bit too much reuse of clone movesets, as well as stages since there's a lot of shared stages between the Oda side and the Akechi side. But It's a neat mix-up of the Oda story since it's basically Oda starting out like a stock shonen hero before growing into the demon king that he is in the other games.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Spirit of Sanada told a very good beginning, middle, and end story as well, but of course it's focused around just the one clan (with occasional side stories to cover major events elsewhere). I'm not an expert on this period of history by any means, I primarily know about it from video games really, but it seems like it covers the breadth of the war overall though, starting while shingen takeda is still alive, and ending after sekigahara

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Amusingly, a side effect of Oda Nobunaga as 'stock shonen hero' is Imagawa Yoshimoto going from the intro battle boss to first arc final boss... complete with showing up at the Battle of Nagara River and beating Nobunaga in single combat without backup, leading to Oda Nobuyuki's rebellion after his older brother's retreat.

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry

You might say that of all the PS4 games I played this year, SW4 is "unrivaled." :geno:

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
Should I platinum SW4 over Christmas if I haven't played SW5 or Spirit of Sanada yet? I think I just have to do every objective on every mission and do every mission with every story mode character.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Samurai Warriors 5 is on sale on Nintendo Switch, if anyone's on the fence.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

The next Omega Force game is apparently a Fate Stay Night one. It's listed as "Action RPG" so it's either a Warriors or a Nioh?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PazfxkDW3RU

Reive
May 21, 2009

It's a fate game that isn't a vn or gacha therefore I'm interested lol

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
An ARPG where you get to command a Servant through a Holy Grail War seems like it could be fun.

Yes, I do already know about Fate/Extra (and the Extella sequels), but I don't think that's quite the sort of game I'm thinking of.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Definitely not a Nioh as that's Team Ninja's domain, but having Shibusawa attached is interesting

Maybe closer to P5S?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
We already had a Fate Warriors, it's called Fate/Extella