Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
of course its good, it has bad puns all over it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Generated Wizards
Apr 16, 2016

Most of the wrinkles you'd prevent with poo poo like this are just going to be wiped out by all the wrinkles you're getting from worrying about whether using a drinking straw is making you look old :corsair:

:stare:

Generated Wizards has issued a correction as of 06:43 on Nov 28, 2022

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Salvor_Hardin posted:

That Bahn Mi does look and sound pretty fuckin good though.

For fourteen loving dollars it better.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
wrestlers are just human beyblades

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/Qban_Linx/status/1597139721570103296

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Didn't Canada end up in an awful situation where people have started using medical euthanasia to escape debt? Like, you don't end up in financial ruin from medical bills but you still get wrecked from not being able to work or pay rent while you're unwell.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

No that's ridiculous.

Just homelessness.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

McCracAttack posted:

Didn't Canada end up in an awful situation where people have started using medical euthanasia to escape debt? Like, you don't end up in financial ruin from medical bills but you still get wrecked from not being able to work or pay rent while you're unwell.

no. what is happening is that disabled people can’t get enough money to live from the government (shelter, food, medical expenses) so they’re opting for euthanasia.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

COPE 27 posted:

No that's ridiculous.

Just homelessness.

Arivia posted:

no. what is happening is that disabled people can’t get enough money to live from the government (shelter, food, medical expenses) so they’re opting for euthanasia.

Yeah I was misunderstanding the particulars but this feels like the same root problem.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

McCracAttack posted:

Yeah I was misunderstanding the particulars but this feels like the same root problem.

I think we all know what the root problem is.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

PerniciousKnid posted:

I think we all know what the root problem is.

capitalism!

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Arivia posted:

capitalism!

poo poo I was thinking of The Jews but that makes way more sense.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

throw capitalism down the well
so my country can be free

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

PerniciousKnid posted:

International Bankers or (((International Bankers)))

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

PerniciousKnid posted:

Canada’s big industries of global note are mining, logging, farming, oil and gas, and banking. Canada’s banks are incredibly strong, not very competitive with each other at all, and white as gently caress (not very jewish). no it’s capitalism for sure here.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Throw the Westons down the well
So my country can be free

Orbis Tertius
Feb 13, 2007

one problematic assumption of free market ideology is the idea of “rational actors”, that consumers, through some suspiciously unexamined mechanism, have access to perfect information about the real material value of goods and services which informs their buying preferences etc, etc.

I’m looking into buying new glasses since mine are like 8 years old and totally scratched to hell. it’s been so long that there are some novel options available for lenses now (novel to me at least, or I just never noticed them before), one of which being “anti fatigue” lenses. Warby Parker says they’re the bees knees, but they’re not cheap and obviously I’m not going to just take their spiel at face value, so I google do anti fatigue lenses work.

long story short, aside from the obligatory Reddit thread (which wasn’t particularly useful), and a research paper that sounds positive but is too technical for me to really parse, literally **every single result** seems to be for an online store selling glasses. perfect information, indeed! my google-fu could just be weak, i suppose.

anyways I found that amusing. also, anyone know if anti fatigue lenses are bullshit or not?

Orbis Tertius has issued a correction as of 17:49 on Dec 4, 2022

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Literally any company selling anything is gaming the Algorithm, leading to any googling of Products being straight up sales bullshit.

I mean, except Google, they aren't so much gaming the Algorithm as tailoring it to their needs.

Orbis Tertius
Feb 13, 2007

BonHair posted:

Literally any company selling anything is gaming the Algorithm, leading to any googling of Products being straight up sales bullshit.

I mean, except Google, they aren't so much gaming the Algorithm as tailoring it to their needs.

yeah I figure I’ll just have to talk to an optometrist. I just found the nearly complete absence of non-retailer search results amusing. online glasses retailers are apparently legion and they all have the same pitch (I know many are just fronts/rebrandings, still funny to me). has it always been this bad?

Orbis Tertius has issued a correction as of 18:15 on Dec 4, 2022

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Are they just glasses that cut out the blue part of the spectrum? Cuz as far as I know all the research on that is very inconclusive and it's mostly just bullshit marketing.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

that's what i thought but it looks like they're just bifocals

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Orbis Tertius posted:

yeah I figure I’ll just have to talk to an optometrist. I just found the complete absence of non-retailer search results amusing. online glasses retailers are apparently legion and they all have the same pitch (I know many are just fronts/rebrandings, still funny to me). has it always been this bad?

Good luck trusting that the optometrist is not being influenced by lens manufacturers, either with straight kickbacks, industry events with fancy dinners or just falling for the same poo poo you're reading.

Orbis Tertius
Feb 13, 2007

Shame Boy posted:

Are they just glasses that cut out the blue part of the spectrum? Cuz as far as I know all the research on that is very inconclusive and it's mostly just bullshit marketing.

different thing but same idea. I was able to find actual articles on blue light lenses that weren’t trying to sell me on them, though.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
aren't all 700 glasses brands owned by the same company now or something?

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Weatherman posted:

Yes, the same company that owns the store, and the lenses, and the optometrist's practice also, including most of the non chain stores.

Orbis Tertius
Feb 13, 2007

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

that's what i thought but it looks like they're just bifocals

not saying you’re wrong, and they might ultimately be the same practically speaking, but this paper (one of the only non-retailer sources I was able to find) makes me think the tech is new, at least, assuming it’s talking about the lenses in question.

Orbis Tertius
Feb 13, 2007

BonHair posted:

Good luck trusting that the optometrist is not being influenced by lens manufacturers, either with straight kickbacks, industry events with fancy dinners or just falling for the same poo poo you're reading.

COPE 27 posted:

Yes, the same company that owns the store, and the lenses, and the optometrist's practice also, including most of the non chain stores.

just to bring things full circle, this is why the notion of ‘rational action’ in an economic context, and all that Chicago school nonsense generally speaking, is bullshit. it ignores the materiality of how information propagates in capitalism (for obvious ideological reasons).

end result is I have no loving clue whether getting some fancy new lenses is worth the money or not. feature not a bug, etc

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Shame Boy posted:

According to my wife the anti-blue ones give an ugly yellow cast to my eyes.

Oh drat that’s the one pair I can’t find….

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

well yeah, the "anti-blue" thing is just a yellow coating. it's dumb af

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Orbis Tertius posted:

just to bring things full circle, this is why the notion of ‘rational action’ in an economic context, and all that Chicago school nonsense generally speaking, is bullshit. it ignores the materiality of how information propagates in capitalism (for obvious ideological reasons).

end result is I have no loving clue whether getting some fancy new lenses is worth the money or not. feature not a bug, etc

No but you see, accounting for information flow complicates the models tremendously, making it impossible to math out what's good for people.

Anyway, just but whatever is most expensive, it will logically be the best.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Weatherman posted:

Not Wiley X or any of the brands they own. Family, veteran owned company out of California.

I've been wearing Wiley X sunglasses for about 18 years now, I'm only on my second frame and replacement lenses are $25~ for the pair I have currently (Romer 3s).

Pretty sure they have a prescription line, too.

They haven't been snapped up my Luxottica yet, probably because of their US military contracts.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran owned is such a dumb selling point though. Worshipping the military has rotted the American brain.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Eh, if it keeps him from selling out to Luxottica, I could care less.

E: I think my current frames are a decade old at this point, and they were $90~ glasses when I bought them.

A comparable set of Oakleys would be double that and don't exist anyhow because Luxottica wants you to break their poo poo in two years so you can spend more on their trash.

CRUSTY MINGE has issued a correction as of 20:02 on Dec 4, 2022

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

BonHair posted:

Veteran owned is such a dumb selling point though. Worshipping the military has rotted the American brain.

it’s messed up that veterans get discounts off the backs of the taxpayers who funded their PlayStations in Iraq

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Eh, if it keeps him from selling out to Luxottica, I could care less.

Yeah, the rest sounds good, I'm just finding the part I can complain about.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

mawarannahr posted:

it’s messed up that veterans get discounts off the backs of the taxpayers who funded their PlayStations in Iraq

If the government didn't declare a dumb rear end war in Iraq, they wouldn't have gotten those playstations in Iraq, but Germany, Japan, Korea, or CONUS instead.

Thanks for paying your taxes.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
You can get prescription glasses from Chinese companies for like ... $30. You just send upload your prescription and pupillary distance. The markup from the U.S. companies is preposterous.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

PostNouveau posted:

You can get prescription glasses from Chinese companies for like ... $30. You just send upload your prescription and pupillary distance. The markup from the U.S. companies is preposterous.

President Xi saving Americans once again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

PostNouveau posted: