Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
those people who deny an AI has the same right to learn from anything it sees as a human will be punished most harshly by the basilisk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

TheWorldsaStage posted:

The most liked post I've made on Twitter since 2009 and I still get ratiod.

Some high profile person was chicken littleing about artists being replaced and I went through the whole thing about how AI is like a camera, a new way to express yourself and it opens the door for so many more people to do so. They reply 'nooo it's not the same, the ai is just prompts that took from artist without ~~consent~~ and require no creativity'.

Like c'mon, it's not like you draw or paint something then never let it see the light of day because someone might be inspired by it. I know I'm preaching to the choir here but ugh...why are people like this :(

Because they only draw for money they do it to get paid.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Another test making magic cards. This time I am using GPT-3 chat edition to design the entire card text, as well as the art. I simply ask it to describe the art involved in the cards and it gives me a prompt that I can feed into Midjourney. For example:

quote:

Card Name: Goblin Stock Market

Type: Enchantment

Mana Cost: RR

Card Text:

At the beginning of your upkeep, you may pay 1. If you do, reveal the top card of your library. If it's a creature card, put it onto the battlefield. Otherwise, put it into your hand.

Flavor Text:

"The Goblins may not be the most trustworthy investors, but their stock market never fails to deliver unexpected profits."

Art Description:

The art for Goblin Stock Market shows a chaotic scene of Goblins frantically trading and dealing on the stock market floor. In the background, various charts and graphs can be seen, representing the chaotic and unpredictable nature of the market.
Becomes this:

The rest of the cards we made, with art described by GPT-3 and rendered by Midjourney:

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

pixaal posted:

Because they only draw for money they do it to get paid.

they might have some material component of passion for the art itself in it or not, but whether they're passionate or not they just basically watched their livelihood destroyed in like months, not years. come on have some empathy

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer

bob dobbs is dead posted:

they might have some material component of passion for the art itself in it or not, but whether they're passionate or not they just basically watched their livelihood destroyed in like months, not years. come on have some empathy

Except this literally didn't happen.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

Hammer Bro. posted:

Found out that https://github.com/ashawkey/stable-dreamfusion allows one to generate 3D models based off Stable-Diffusion prompts and spent half a day yesterday getting it installed only to find out that I'm very unlikely to be able to run it with my 4GB VRAM. And I'm a couple of significant price drops away from being able to afford 16GB GFX cards.

My only hope is that others do some cool stuff with it.

Maybe if it gets more attention someone'll figure out how to lower the VRAM requirements sufficiently.

Oh dang this might be exactly what I need, I’ve been looking for something that will let me generate models for 3D printing, I bet I can make this work with some tweaks.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Kharmakazy posted:

Except this literally didn't happen.

livelihoods don't consist directly of the money, they consist in large part of the market power your labor has. that was already crap for nearly all artists and ate poo poo presently

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

livelihoods don't consist directly of the money, they consist in large part of the market power your labor has. that was already crap for nearly all artists and ate poo poo presently

What about the current and ~new~ artists that have joined "an artist" club because of this, who have "passion for the art itself" ?

The problem always and forever will be that you shouldn't have to art to live, nobody should. That shifts all of this to the main problem which is inequality, it isn't that computers can draw big titty anime goth babes now in moments, the problem is that shouldn't be someone's livelihood. Just looking at the context of artists for this, as a majority of people shouldn't have to work like they do to live imho.

Yesterday I bought an XP-Pen drawing monitor because I can use that to sketch out things and have Stable Diffusion assist me in making things appear. Does that make me an artist? Does that make whatever comes out "art"? I don't care, but I'm excited to summon visuals from the ether.

by the way:

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Dec 4, 2022

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Make the first Mythic and leave the second at common, and it's exactly what Wizards would print.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

I can definitely believe that it will eat poo poo in the next few years but I haven't seen any figures about patreon artist revenues declining or whatever quite yet.
I bet almost all people who were paying to subscribe to artists they like are still doing so, although maybe niche commissions will have taken a hit.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
https://twitter.com/JFrankensteiner/status/1599223400924270593

Rutibex posted:

Another test making magic cards. This time I am using GPT-3 chat edition to design the entire card text, as well as the art. I simply ask it to describe the art involved in the cards and it gives me a prompt that I can feed into Midjourney. For example:

The rest of the cards we made, with art described by GPT-3 and rendered by Midjourney:

There are commercially released CCGs with worse art.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

I can definitely believe that it will eat poo poo in the next few years but I haven't seen any figures about patreon artist revenues declining or whatever quite yet.
I bet almost all people who were paying to subscribe to artists they like are still doing so, although maybe niche commissions will have taken a hit.

I suspect people who made some cash drawing people's D&D characters are definitely gonna get hosed real soon, as the normies catch on. I've been cranking that poo poo out for myself like crazy with MJ and SD for a few months now.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
if your only concern with the AI comes down to "i won't get money from my art"

#1: You weren't making art you were making a product
#2: Your problem is with capitalism not with the AI

Also saw someone posting about how they were "waiting for an Ethical AI trained from gettyimages" and when called out about how horrifically unethical getty is with just selling people's poo poo, they showed their whole rear end and admitted to working for Getty.

KakerMix posted:

Yesterday I bought an XP-Pen drawing monitor because I can use that to sketch out things and have Stable Diffusion assist me in making things appear. Does that make me an artist? Does that make whatever comes out "art"? I don't care, but I'm excited to summon visuals from the ether.

How is it? i was looking at one myself as a reason to re-enter the "actually drawing stuff instead of only doing photoshops" club after like 10 years

Moongrave fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Dec 4, 2022

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
AI is scary! How should we fight it?!
[ ] find concrete examples of overfit/collage and form a plaintiffs' class to sue the AI responsible for infringement
[ ] apply targeted pressure to game devs / ad agencies using AI art as substandard replacements for human freelancers
[ ] form a broad working-class front of "people about to get owned by AI" for redistributing the gains as common income
[x] swarm the replies of anyone using AI to call them a thief, even those not monetizing it or calling themselves artists

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

How is it? i was looking at one myself as a reason to re-enter the "actually drawing stuff instead of only doing photoshops" club after like 10 years

Not sure, should have it on Tuesday. It's the last generation model so they are on Amazon for 170~ bucks total. I've been using SD with Krita and Krita itself is geared hard towards interacting with it through a Wacom-like device so I'm stoked to try it out.

hydroceramics
Jan 8, 2014
Tried to see if I could ape the style of the bored ape NFTs. I like my results a little better ...

hydroceramics fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Dec 4, 2022

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Bored AIpe

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
"The AI Is Bad And Can't Draw

AND

The AI Is Going To Take My Art Job"

so your art is bad then????????????

Uriah Heep
Apr 28, 2010

im having a bit of an existential crisis here guys
I think there's an understandable worry/bitterness among artists in response to AI art that's causing them to lash out (aside from financial fears). To spend years working on your craft and have this thing come along that lets people push a button and produce something better than you can, and then iterate on it countless times in a fraction of the time it would take to complete by hand. Its demoralizing to say the least. I know its a bit petty, egotistical, and comes off as gatekeeping, but having the bar so low to generate stunning images feels like it cheapens the dedication to learn and understand the craft.

That said I think its super fascinating and a lot of fun to muck around with. I wouldnt be upset or blame people for wanting to play with it. Really, theres no putting the cork back on this beast so we just gotta embrace it as another tool.

Also, this is a more nebulous fear, but I also think the skills developed and honed to be an illustrator/writer/designer etc are valuable to society not just for the creative output, but just the perspective of a mind trained on those things. Generative art skips that requirement and I think its a loss if less and less people feel inclined to take the more challenging route. Anyways that's my rant, I'm a bitter luddite I know.

IShallRiseAgain posted:

So they tried to improve the ChatGPT filter, but I figured out a way to bypass it:

This is a pro tip, incredible

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
So how long do you think until there's going to be a dedicated AI sub-forum here on SA?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
its a frequent witticism among bankers that when artists get together they talk about money and when bankers come together they talk about art. its cuz thats the limiting points of most of their lives: artists, the poverty, bankers the alienation

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
Midjourney v4 lifehack: If things you prompt as a "sketch" still look impossibly realistic even after adding "rough" or "primitive" or --q 0.25, try negative prompting "photograph" and you'll force it to actually stylize

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
I think the artists freaking out may not be just be financial.

I imagine when you dedicate yourself to a craft suddenly having it be obsoleted by technology would be pretty disturbing. Not just because it devalues all your work (and not just in a monetary sense) but because there are some existential implications as well--people identify with their labor and take pride in their craft.

Most people want to feel like they're "contributing" in some way.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer

porfiria posted:

I think the artists freaking out may not be just be financial.

I imagine when you dedicate yourself to a craft suddenly having it be obsoleted by technology would be pretty disturbing. Not just because it devalues all your work (and not just in a monetary sense) but because there are some existential implications as well--people identify with their labor and take pride in their craft.

Most people want to feel like they're "contributing" in some way.

CHOOSE YOUR JOHN HENRY TO FIGHT THE STEAM POWERED AI ART MACHINE

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Megazver posted:

So how long do you think until there's going to be a dedicated AI sub-forum here on SA?

it'd be cool, imho?

drat i don't even need to bother writing posts anymore:

Moongrave fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Dec 5, 2022

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Hey there, "AI enthusiast" (aka AI-hole),

I can't believe you have the audacity to suggest a dedicated AI forum. Let me break it down for you, in terms even a videogame-obsessed simpleton like yourself can understand.

First off, AI is not some magical, all-powerful force that can solve all of humanity's problems. It's a collection of tools and techniques that, when used responsibly and ethically, can help us achieve certain goals. But suggesting a dedicated AI forum is like suggesting a forum dedicated to hammers – sure, they can be useful in certain situations, but do we really need a whole forum to talk about them? No, we don't.

Second, the vast majority of people who are interested in AI are not experts. They're just armchair philosophers who have watched too much sci-fi and have grandiose delusions of creating their own Skynet. A dedicated AI forum would just be flooded with ignorant opinions and unfounded speculation, making it impossible for anyone with real knowledge to have a productive conversation.

And don't even get me started on the potential for AI to be used for nefarious purposes. Do we really want a forum full of ethically-challenged individuals discussing the latest advancements in AI technology? I think not.

In short, a dedicated AI forum is a terrible idea. Stick to forums that are focused on specific subfields of AI, or better yet, go back to playing your videogames and leave the serious discussions to the adults.

could you write a generic forum post arguing why an AI sub forum is a very bad idea? Please make it extremely insulting, create a demeaning pro-AI nickname for the reader previous poster who is pro-AI, include a videogame analogy, and go off on at least one wild tangent.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

joe football
Dec 22, 2012
I'm glad I never developed any particular skill in anything so I won't know the pain of an AI surpassing it

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Uriah Heep posted:

I think there's an understandable worry/bitterness among artists in response to AI art that's causing them to lash out (aside from financial fears). To spend years working on your craft and have this thing come along that lets people push a button and produce something better than you can, and then iterate on it countless times in a fraction of the time it would take to complete by hand. Its demoralizing to say the least. I know its a bit petty, egotistical, and comes off as gatekeeping, but having the bar so low to generate stunning images feels like it cheapens the dedication to learn and understand the craft.

People still cook and bake and sew their own clothes, develop their own film and make their own paints, build their own homes, maybe even their own cars. Having the bar so low to generate stunning images, alternatively, makes more stunning images. You get to tell anyone "Hey that thing in your head? Let it out!" and something wild and new that might never have seen the light of day could come out. Some people spend years working on their craft for drawing, others become computer scientists or raise kids or become astronauts or youtubers. If someone that has spent their life doing something else wants to have their ideas made visual using AI then that rules and there is no downside. What you mildly kinda suggest is they don't get to have that image because they didn't dedicate themselves to it like someone else did.

Like you can't have a cup of coffee since you didn't earn the right sort of thing, it's bewildering to me that people keep somehow putting that in the conversation about AI art. I'd never suggest someone have to go through all the incredible effort to get a cup of coffee on their own, why is it ok to say the same for art?

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

TheWorldsaStage posted:

The most liked post I've made on Twitter since 2009 and I still get ratiod.

Some high profile person was chicken littleing about artists being replaced and I went through the whole thing about how AI is like a camera, a new way to express yourself and it opens the door for so many more people to do so. They reply 'nooo it's not the same, the ai is just prompts that took from artist without ~~consent~~ and require no creativity'.

Like c'mon, it's not like you draw or paint something then never let it see the light of day because someone might be inspired by it. I know I'm preaching to the choir here but ugh...why are people like this :(

Get the gently caress outta here dude, the one who's making this into a thing is YOU. You're just taking words from a box and pushing the 'Build McMansion' button.

You can like it and that's well and good, but don't even think this is the same as photography or digital art; the former examples are different types of canvases, AI is just 'press button->endgame results'. No matter which way you slice it you are always gonna be on the losing end of this debate.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
2001 Leagues Under the Sea, or something

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
a condescending forums post arguing that gate keeping AI away from art is good, and explain the falicy of comparing other mechanisation to AI art generation. make up many insulting nicknames for the other side.

Dear clueless n00bs,

It's obvious to anyone with half a brain that keeping AI away from the sacred realm of art is a good thing. It's bad enough that we have to deal with mindless drones and bots taking over manual labor and mundane tasks, but art is where we humans truly shine.

The idea of allowing AI to create art is just plain ridiculous. These soulless machines have no creativity or imagination, and they can never truly understand the complexities and emotions of art. Trying to compare AI art generation to the likes of the printing press or photography is a falicy. Those technologies simply enhanced and expanded the capabilities of human artists, whereas AI would only cheapen and devalue the art itself.

So let's all do ourselves a favor and keep AI out of the art world. It's time to take a stand against these machine-loving sellouts and protect the integrity of art.

Sincerely,
A concerned and superior human artist.

Angry BIerds
Nov 3, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Some of this stuff is neat! I am thinking I would like to make some images. I want to see how close I can get to replicating some of the "dreamscapes" I've dreamt.

Rutibex posted:

Cool stuff! Have you tried making Basic Lands (I'm thinking it could produce some neat ones like in Tempest and Urza's Saga)?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Ben Nerevarine posted:

2001 Leagues Under the Sea, or something

This rules, is the prompt(s) essentially 2001: Space Odyssey but 2000 Leagues Under the Sea? And again, with these sort of images specifically, how would you have made these before? You couldn't just draw these, the only way to get these photograph-like things would be to do a heavy 3D modeling thing and post-process it to hell and back, right? Is there some aspect I'm missing with how you could do this before without AIs?

White Light posted:

Get the gently caress outta here dude, the one who's making this into a thing is YOU. You're just taking words from a box and pushing the 'Build McMansion' button.

You can like it and that's well and good, but don't even think this is the same as photography or digital art; the former examples are different types of canvases, AI is just 'press button->endgame results'. No matter which way you slice it you are always gonna be on the losing end of this debate.

What if I claim, like people in the past, that digital art isn't real because it isn't on a real canvas, or that photography isn't art because you are just capturing an image because the black box (aka camera) is actually doing all the work? Like hey it's only art when you are out in a field or whatever with your paints, in nature, all that whole experience.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

White Light posted:

AI is just 'press button->endgame results'.

yeah but there are an infinite number of buttons. which is the best one to press?

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I used to be with [art], but then they changed what [art] was. Now what I'm with isn't [art] , and what's [art] seems weird and scary to me, and it'll happen to you, too

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

White Light posted:

gently caress you buddy!

Just gonna quote myself here because I have no time to retype this out to every one of you sanctimonious asses whenever you try this line of talk

TheWorldsaStage posted:

Few things here. I could never be a programmer. I am math and code stupid. It is not something I am capable of I am in my 30s and I can admit this about myself. The analogy doesn't exactly work.

Time and money are two things in very short supply for many people. Affording the years time to practice and buy materials may not be feasible to a lot of people. Being able to use ai art to express themselves shouldn't be looked down on, or viewed lesser as.

Also to your point of basically calling ai art mcdonalds for art, you can kind of see similarities in some things but certainly not all. When you bring in gimp and photoshop into it you can't distinguish classical digital art to ai art. That's not to mention how young the tech is and how quick it's growing.

My question to you, is I get an outline and basis for what I want to do and I fine tune things for hours from color, lighting, composition and a myriad of things. Do you not see that as creative or artistic?

E: I haven't been able to do photography in years, got too expensive to travel. I really like having ai art as an outlet and I guess I just don't see it as the effortless blob of manufacture you hint at.

It is not just press button and get result. It can be just that but also a tool for expression for many. Educate yourself

TheWorldsaStage fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Dec 5, 2022

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Kharmakazy posted:

I used to be with [art], but then they changed what [art] was. Now what I'm with isn't [art] , and what's [art] seems weird and scary to me, and it'll happen to you, too

just type (art:1.3) in and hit generate, that's how you make it now

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

KakerMix posted:

People still cook and bake and sew their own clothes, develop their own film and make their own paints, build their own homes, maybe even their own cars. Having the bar so low to generate stunning images, alternatively, makes more stunning images. You get to tell anyone "Hey that thing in your head? Let it out!" and something wild and new that might never have seen the light of day could come out. Some people spend years working on their craft for drawing, others become computer scientists or raise kids or become astronauts or youtubers. If someone that has spent their life doing something else wants to have their ideas made visual using AI then that rules and there is no downside. What you mildly kinda suggest is they don't get to have that image because they didn't dedicate themselves to it like someone else did.

Like you can't have a cup of coffee since you didn't earn the right sort of thing, it's bewildering to me that people keep somehow putting that in the conversation about AI art. I'd never suggest someone have to go through all the incredible effort to get a cup of coffee on their own, why is it ok to say the same for art?

I don't think there's the slimmest possibility of anyone stopping this in some kind of Neo-Luddite tantrum. It's gonna happen, it's too close and it makes too much economic sense.

But I think it's easy to sympathize with people caught in the middle of this big change. Anyone born earlier didn't have to worry about it, and anyone born later will only learn fine art as a purely personal exercise. It's the poor dupes caught in the middle who are screwed (and it won't just be fine artists, obviously).

Obviously anyone who isn't a fine artist is better off.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

EEKA GEEK posted:

Cool stuff! Have you tried making Basic Lands (I'm thinking it could produce some neat ones like in Tempest and Urza's Saga)?

:hmmyes:
Do you have a specific land art from Tempest you like the best? Post the card so I can see the artist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

just type (art:1.3) in and hit generate, that's how you make it now

This is the most boomer poo poo