Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

Yeah, ditto pops up in higher level tera raids fairly often. Definitely helpful for getting max IVs on your breeder, too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Hammerite posted:

I got tired of not knowing where to get the evo item for Charcadet so I looked it up and it's... some NPC I remember talking to that said something like "bring me 10 Bronzor hides and I will give you something good"

wtf? I just thought "ok I'll do that some time after I beat the game" and forgot about it. If he'd actually said what I would get from him I'd have stirred myself to bring him the Bronzor teeth he wanted.

Game continues to be good, reached the "end" screen for the Titan and Team Star storylines. Have one gym to do. It's the one that's really high up in the south west. I think I'm going to massively outlevel it and it'll be an anticlimax. I thought you had to get the climbing power and climb up the big mountain, so that's what I did, but I guess there's a back way you're actually supposed to use. lol.

The NPC implies it will give you the evo item. In Scarlet at least, he says he'll give you something *auspicious*, and the name of the item is auspicious armor. Of course, you need to know what the item name is to understand the implication, so it's not actually helpful. Just weird, I guess.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
You know for what is supposedly a children's game there is a lot of complicated nonsense attached. I still don't really know what an IV or and EV is.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

I’ve caught one Ditto and it was when I made a water encounter sandwich to find a water Tauros. I caught one and then went to catch a second one for trading, but the second one was a Ditto.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

You know for what is supposedly a children's game there is a lot of complicated nonsense attached. I still don't really know what an IV or and EV is.

I was literally just trying to Google this to understand why I’ve seen people spend hundreds of hours to breed perfect IV Pokémon

I get that higher attk /spattk means more damage per physical/special hit and higher def/spdef protects you better from physical/special moves, but why breed when you can use those candies or whatever?

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

I was literally just trying to Google this to understand why I’ve seen people spend hundreds of hours to breed perfect IV Pokémon

I get that higher attk /spattk means more damage per physical/special hit and higher def/spdef protects you better from physical/special moves, but why breed when you can use those candies or whatever?
There is literally no reason now that bottlecaps are an accessible thing. People have just been traumatized into being obsessive perfectionists by past generations.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
The items to change IVs were not always as easy to get as they are now.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Unless you're planning to go hard into competitive pokemon don't worry about EV/IVs imo.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

HopperUK posted:

The items to change IVs were not always as easy to get as they are now.

Ahhhh

So now the limiting factor is money?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

It's not necessary anymore, but in previous gens, the methods to give existing mons perfect IVs either didn't exist yet or were more trouble than breeding.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

There's also the inertia of "sure I could shell out the PokeBucks for bottle caps, but I've had this perfect IV Ditto lying around since Gen 5 and why not save five minutes?"

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Ahhhh

Yeah, but money is also incredibly easy to get now. On the whole it's all way, way easier than it used to be, and that's good! The barrier to entry for competitive is the lowest it's ever been. I'm even considering trying it myself and I have never battled a real person in Pokemon ever.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

IVs, or Individual Values, are the stats given to all Pokemon when you encounter them. They range from 0-31 and cannot be changed, and are independent of the Pokemon's base stats. At level 50, you can talk to a guy at the Montenevero Pokecenter to get Hyper Training, in exchange for one bottle cap per stat or one golden bottle cap for all stats at once. Hyper Training puts whatever stats you choose to 31; hyper trained stats will not be passed on to eggs if you breed them, only the original IV.

EVs, or Effort Values, range from 0-255. A Pokemon can spread these points out as they wish but can only have 510 points total. Most builds put 252 in an attack stat and one of HP/Speed. Others split between the attack stats or just go defensively. EVs are earned from vitamins (Carbos, Protein, HP Up, etc.) or by fighting Pokemon. Every Pokemon fought in the game gives +1 to a EV or sometimes a +1 in two EVs. Evolutions of a Pokemon give +2 or +3 depending on which stage. You can also buy the Power items, that give +8 to whatever stat the item applies to, in addition to what the Pokemon normally gives. Builds put in 252/252/6 because EVs give you 1 in a stat per 4 EVs so anything from 253-255 provides no benefit so people just put the leftover points in speed or whatever.

Neither of these are required for anything in the game except competitive PvP.

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Dec 4, 2022

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
Speaking of, what's the best way to farm money

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Yeah the breeding stuff is outdated. Bottlecaps used to be absurdly rare, but now they’re super easy to get. Mints to change nature weren’t also easy to get as they are now.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

big black turnout posted:

Speaking of, what's the best way to farm money

The ace tournament with a strong Mon that can solo everything and an Amulet Coin, or chain running raids for treasures.

I think the tournament will give you around 100k with the Coin?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Admiral Joeslop posted:

IVs, or Individual Values, are the stats given to all Pokemon when you encounter them. They range from 0-31 and cannot be changed, and are independent of the Pokemon's base stats. At level 50, you can talk to a guy at the Montenevero Pokecenter to get Hyper Training, in exchange for one bottle cap per stat or one golden bottle cap for all stats at once. Hyper Training puts whatever stats you choose to 31; hyper trained stats will not be passed on to eggs if you breed them, only the original IV.

EVs, or Effort Values, range from 0-255. A Pokemon can spread these points out as they wish but can only have 510 points total. Most builds put 252 in an attack stat and one of HP/Speed. Others split between the attack stats or just go defensively. EVs are earned from vitamins (Carbos, Protein, HP Up, etc.) or by fighting Pokemon. Every Pokemon fought in the game gives +1 to a EV or sometimes a +1 in two EVs. Evolutions of a Pokemon give +2 or +3 depending on which stage. You can also buy the Power items, that give +8 to whatever stat the item applies to, in addition to what the Pokemon normally gives. Builds put in 252/252/6 because EVs give you 1 in a stat per 4 EVs so anything from 253-255 provides no benefit so people just put the points in speed or whatever.

Neither of these are required for anything in the game except competitive PvP.

Wait, so if I’m understanding this right, fighting every Pokémon encounter makes your Pokémon stronger and not just via the gain of experience?

So levelling via rare candies is not as good as levelling via battles?

I knew this game was insanely deep for a children’s game, but goddamn

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

The only reason to actually breed one is just for the sense of "I made this" kind of thing. But anyone telling you it takes more than an hour to get a 5-6 IV pokemon is just grossly exaggerating. And as proven by last thread, they're usually basing their nonsense on gimick youtube videos they saw, and have never tried the process themselves. Either way, the items do the exact same thing. The only difference is the menus will say you used items.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Wait, so if I’m understanding this right, fighting every Pokémon encounter makes your Pokémon stronger and not just via the gain of experience?

So levelling via rare candies is not as good as levelling via battles?

I knew this game was insanely deep for a children’s game, but goddamn

Correct! If you Rare Candy a newly hatched egg to 100, its stats will be lower than a level 100 that's been fighting things. You can still earn EVs at 100 though.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Electric Phantasm posted:

Unless you're planning to go hard into competitive pokemon don't worry about EV/IVs imo.

I remember when I was a kid and I first learned and tried out EVs, it was cool to see my Gyarados’s attack go up 50 points in one level.

By the way, over two decades of playing Pokemon games and today is the first time I’ve ever completed a Pokedex :toot:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
as was outlined in that post though, EVs have a fairly easy to reach cap (both total and per stat) so yeah while shoving 90+ rare candies into a mon's mouth will make it noticeably weaker out of the gate, you'll notice practically zero impact of boosting a mon even a good number of levels via candies as long as you're still actively using it

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I get money just doing raids and running around the Asado desert. I'm sure there are quicker ways but I always seem to have a bag full of stuff to sell.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Between raids, the Ace Tournament, and all the items that litter the landscape, you won't be pressed for cash.

Not to mention that a lot of places also accept league points.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
update: I went to farm Bronzor shavings and ended up catching a green one. I don't even mind that the little poo poo only gave me one Bronzor feather.

I have so many Gimmighoul coin and yet I've never even read the white paper

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

thetoughestbean posted:

I caught a 5iv HA Cyclizar (with Knock Off and Dark tera type to stop Prankster shenanigans) and got an Ability Patch from the raid yesterday.

Feeling pretty chuffed still.

I need a good nickname, though. Right now it’s named Unlicensed after my boy Licenseless Rider but I don’t love it

Dr Emilio?

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

the blue duck is an endangered species, nobody has them in the link trades

edit: gently caress yeah finally got one

Breadallelogram fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Dec 4, 2022

Wile E. Toyota
Jul 18, 2008

Under no circumstances should you be proud of someone for wearing flip-flops.
So when a Pokemon teras, it becomes defensively that type. But if an electric Pokemon teras to a different type, can it now be paralyzed? Or do they retain certain benefits of their original type?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Ahhhh

Also for more niche competitive things like having a 0 in an IV for a given stat. You can use a bottle cap to get a 31 - you can't use one to get a 0.

0 IV comes up for things like Trick Room teams (you want your mons to be as slow as possible there), 0 IV in your Attack for bulky mons and special attackers so they take less damage from Foul Play or hitting themselves when confused, etc.

At the end of the day, aside from 0 Speed for Trick Room, though, a lot of this is "final percentage" detail work, and not something that you do for like... every mon you wanna do ranked with.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Is ditto in SV or do we have to breed the old fashioned way?

simply go to tag tree forest and look for a pineco bcos theyre nearly all dittos for some reason

alternaitvely i found mine by spotting a cyclizar was calmly sitting on a cliff edge and not throwing itself off it at 1000mph

Wile E. Toyota
Jul 18, 2008

Under no circumstances should you be proud of someone for wearing flip-flops.

Stux posted:

simply go to tag tree forest and look for a pineco bcos theyre nearly all dittos for some reason

I haven't been able to catch a single Pineco in this game because every single one has been a ditto. I might have to breed a Forretress.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Wile E. Toyota posted:

So when a Pokemon teras, it becomes defensively that type. But if an electric Pokemon teras to a different type, can it now be paralyzed? Or do they retain certain benefits of their original type?

They become vulnerable to paralysis, yeah. They basically lose their original typing for everything except STAB.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Wile E. Toyota posted:

I haven't been able to catch a single Pineco in this game because every single one has been a ditto. I might have to breed a Forretress.

that is what I am going to do. The Pineco population has been thoroughly infiltrated by spies.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

wait what if I do that and the baby is a ditto, what then

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

HopperUK posted:

wait what if I do that and the baby is a ditto, what then

I am sorry to tell you this, but all of your pokemon are actually Dittoes

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I have found all of one Ditto, and that was only because I managed to fall off a cliff and onto a Grimer's head, which turned out to be said Ditto.

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

I accidentally skipped Tagtree Thicket in my main playthrough because I broke into the poison base by falling off the mountain into the back, so postgame I went through and assumed that the weird paints on the trees were just Team Star vandalizing things. Catching a Grafaiai and learning that Pokemon were responsible was a cool experience.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Is that where the applin are? I need to go get some apples. You run into the trees, right, with your bike?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

HopperUK posted:

Is that where the applin are? I need to go get some apples. You run into the trees, right, with your bike?

Yes. Eat a dragon or grass meal and start ramming those trees.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Nice.

Hm. I'm breeding Azurills and I was also moving Belly Drum onto a second parent, so it was holding a mirror herb, and now every baby is the same sex as that parent. Must be a thing. Or a coincidence but I'm a dozen in now and they're all girls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

HopperUK posted:

Nice.

Hm. I'm breeding Azurills and I was also moving Belly Drum onto a second parent, so it was holding a mirror herb, and now every baby is the same sex as that parent. Must be a thing. Or a coincidence but I'm a dozen in now and they're all girls.

Azurill has a 25/75 gender ratio. 1/3 of those girls will evolve into boys because Marill has a 50/50 gender ratio.