Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

yeah def check it out

and then think on all the tv shows that did a rashomon episode where the characters remember things different ways

i feel like every sit-com with more than 40 episodes has done one

every star trek series has a Rashomon episode and a 7 samurai episode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?
Battle Beyond the Stars is a great Seven Samurai remake, even stars Robert Vaughn playing the same character he was in The Magnificent Seven

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

There is nothing wrong with Lion King jfc

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Fitzy Fitz posted:

To be fair to the lion king, folk tales about the natural world (which seem more like its inspiration than Shakespeare) don't have to apply directly to society. Like, I take the hyena thing more as a comment on ecological balance than race relations. But I've put very little thought into this.

yeah you have to be careful about this kinda thing. the hyenas aren't a racial allegory because races don't function like the different animals do in the Lion King, with herbivores and apex predators and so on

I think the hyenas (and Scar) are coded as: feminised, polluted, immature. the good guys in turn are masculine, abstract, spiritual. the story is generically aristocratic and exclusionary: power and rule is about possessing honour, wisdom, noblesse oblige, divine order; outsiders are filthy idiots who don't understand these things and ruin all they touch. it's not a race thing because Simba, too, starts off as a filthy idiot who must learn how to be better (and, of course, Scar knew better and instead chooses evil, rather than being evil by birth)

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Nonsense posted:

There is nothing wrong with Lion King jfc

i think i saw a take once that it's anti-lgbt bc scar is queer coded

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

tired: "lion king is an adaptation of hamlet"

wired: "a bug's life is an adaptation of 7 samurai"

A Bug's Life is specifically Three Amigos

Lt. Danger posted:

yeah you have to be careful about this kinda thing. the hyenas aren't a racial allegory because races don't function like the different animals do in the Lion King, with herbivores and apex predators and so on

I think the hyenas (and Scar) are coded as: feminised, polluted, immature. the good guys in turn are masculine, abstract, spiritual. the story is generically aristocratic and exclusionary: power and rule is about possessing honour, wisdom, noblesse oblige, divine order; outsiders are filthy idiots who don't understand these things and ruin all they touch. it's not a race thing because Simba, too, starts off as a filthy idiot who must learn how to be better (and, of course, Scar knew better and instead chooses evil, rather than being evil by birth)

Timon and Pumbaa play a bit interestingly into this

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
honey

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Paul Schrader can suck my balls. Jeanne Dielmann is GOAT.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

i think i saw a take once that it's anti-lgbt bc scar is queer coded

what?

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Mufasa:
  • big
  • strong
  • square-jawed
  • warrior
  • talks about duty and spiritual cycles
  • deep macho voice, played by James Earl Jones
Scar:
  • slender
  • physically weak
  • narrow jaw
  • talker, often sarcastic
  • talks about feelings and wants
  • played by Jeremy Irons, an Englishman, who Americans traditionally see as effete

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Lt. Danger posted:

Mufasa:
  • big
  • strong
  • square-jawed
  • warrior
Scar:
  • slender
  • physically weak
  • narrow jaw
  • played by Jeremy Irons, an Englishman, who Americans traditionally see as effete

I thought you were responding to the post about Lion King being coded white supremacy and I was like “hmm, I guess? do some people see the English as being a little Jewish?”

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
oh yeah and would furries exist if it weren’t for the show Thundercats?! hmmmmmmm

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

ArmZ posted:

Paul Schrader can suck my balls. Jeanne Dielmann is GOAT.
Watched Cat People this week because it's leaving Criterion at the end of the month and stumbled across this:

Director Paul Schrader and lead actress Nastassja Kinski had an affair during the production of this movie. Schrader fell in love and planned to propose marriage to Kinski at the wrap party, but she didn't show up and cut off all communication with him. After three months Schrader finally tracked Kinski down in Paris, where she bluntly told him, "Paul, I always gently caress my directors. And with you it was difficult".

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Knight posted:

Watched Cat People this week because it's leaving Criterion at the end of the month and stumbled across this:

Director Paul Schrader and lead actress Nastassja Kinski had an affair during the production of this movie. Schrader fell in love and planned to propose marriage to Kinski at the wrap party, but she didn't show up and cut off all communication with him. After three months Schrader finally tracked Kinski down in Paris, where she bluntly told him, "Paul, I always gently caress my directors. And with you it was difficult".

I saw the original on Halloween. is this worth a watch?

also :owned:

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

is zootopia racially coded

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Lt. Danger posted:

Mufasa:
  • big
  • strong
  • square-jawed
  • warrior
Scar:
  • slender
  • physically weak
  • narrow jaw

I’m going to take this a step farther and say that disliking English people is a type of homophobia

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

christmas boots posted:

I’m going to take this a step farther and say that disliking English people is a type of homophobia

:berlatskysay:

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

i say swears online posted:

is zootopia racially coded

christmas boots posted:

simple as

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Koirhor posted:

oh yeah and would furries exist if it weren’t for the show Thundercats?! hmmmmmmm

that cheetah lady turned me into a tex avery wolf.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Rental Sting posted:

..Keith Gordon does a convincing work in his metamorphosis from loser nerd to cocky prick to car-obsessed psychopath..l

Oh poo poo he was also Thornton Mellon’s son Jason!

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
If you're looking at the world through any kind of lens your vision is warped

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Aaahhh...so clearly, the correct way to see.......is without lenses

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Eason the Fifth posted:

If you're looking at the world through any kind of lens your vision is warped

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Clip-On Fedora posted:

Aaahhh...so clearly, the correct way to see.......is without lenses

down with glasses

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

"But doctor, the human eye contains lenses"

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Where we are going you won't need eyes to see

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Yes, Yes! To have vision.......you must have no vision

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Knight posted:

lol

also Cat People's theme song is an all-timer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9GbGO7CKdQ

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Echo Chamber posted:

"The Lion King is grossly reactionary and racist" was discourse that formed long before reddit and tumblr. Some people were definitely saying it shortly after it was released.

I remember the bad-faith takes from my conservative family at the time who twisted it into "people are mad that Scar has a black mane and that's racist???"

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Anyway, Disney totally ripped off Kimba the White Lion when they made the Lion King. Deal with it losers.

I'm not watching your video essay either.

Clip-On Fedora has issued a correction as of 20:10 on Dec 4, 2022

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Knight posted:

lol

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Fitzy Fitz posted:

To be fair to the lion king, folk tales about the natural world (which seem more like its inspiration than Shakespeare) don't have to apply directly to society. Like, I take the hyena thing more as a comment on ecological balance than race relations. But I've put very little thought into this.

the thing the hyenas bring up in their musical number is that finally they'll have enough food to eat and won't be starving. I don't think that fits into a nebulous folk myth about ecological balance and absolutely fits into, if not race relations (I personally think it does), then at least class relations.

I recognized this as an eight year old this isn't some woke revelation I've come to in the past four years

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Knight posted:

girls rock

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
synthesis: Lion King is ecofash

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Man I just watched the first season of Ted Lasso for the first time since it was originally streaming and what the gently caress. What did I see in that show??

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
I’m really surprised that The Best Years of our Lives shows up so rarely in those lists. Maybe it’s just the amount of growing up that I’ve done since I first saw it, but goddamn it hits home hard.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Man I just watched the first season of Ted Lasso for the first time since it was originally streaming and what the gently caress. What did I see in that show??

I watched the first 4 episodes on the plane and binged through season 1 in my jet lag. 1/3 into season two I was like what the gently caress. Juno temple is kind of interesting, her grandma was some active British communist.

planes give me weird judgment about media. on an empty 11 pm flight I watched this movie with Alexis Bledel called Post Grad and drank a bunch of red wine. I wept because it seemed like the saddest thing

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post_Grad

quote:

Ryden Malby graduates from college in the middle of the late-2000s recession and is forced to move back in with her parents, because her dream job has been given to her arrogant college nemesis Jessica Bard. Ryden and her best friend Adam, who has had a longtime crush on her, must find a job for Ryden before she loses hope for her future dream as an editor of a big publishing company, but her ambitions for getting a job blinded her from noticing that Adam was giving up going to New York in hopes that one day she will feel about him the same way he does for her. After a while, Adam gives up and goes to Columbia and Ryden gets her dream job, but realizes she isn't really happy and quits her job to go and live with Adam.

it wasn’t great to rewatch

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

mawarannahr posted:

planes give me weird judgment about media.

planes are the only way anyone should watch wb/disney slop imo. they're like perfectly made for airplane watching

though i did watch expanse while really high on edibles on a plane at night once and there was that season where they're travelling through rickety space and that was a trip sympathizing being in a thin metal tube hot dog flying 50000 feet in the air.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Xaris posted:

planes are the only way anyone should watch wb/disney slop imo. they're like perfectly made for airplane watching

I watched all of cruella in silence, watching the screen from the person in front of me, who had subs on. i thought it was pretty great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
personally I hate watching anything on planes. it makes me feel like that guy at the beginning of infinite jest who eats all of his tv dinners in a wall-e style chair with his tv screen six inches in front of his face