Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

I finally built my Zlob VnIcursal VCA kit, and also added a Pexp-1 to my Pam's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97uAOhd33MY

Haven't really tested out the VnIcursal VCA much yet, I didn't want to unpatch this thing I made before recording it. Seems like it might be a neutral VCA, but I thought it would go louder into distortion like my Doepfer A-132-3. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Cabbages and Kings posted:

https://patchwerks.com/products/electro-smith-daisy-patch-diy-synth-module

Over time this will reduce the number of humans needed to solve a given software problem. Flipside, I want to stay in this industry for another 8.5 years, and my philosophy has always been "if you see robots encroaching on your work, try to become the person who controls or maintains the robots", so I am absolutely keeping abreast of this stuff and will be experimenting to see to what extent I can speed up my own development by letting an AI handle some of the more rote, obvious things.

what causes automation to be used instead of human labor is the going cost for human labor. so the coder singularity is dependent on how strong tech worker unions become and whether the work can be outsourced to countries where the labor cost is less expensive

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

snorch posted:

Apparently the STM32H7 chips that are very popular in a lot of audio applications are in short supply right now. I believe this is what's slowing down the Behringer Soul/Spirit/Bolca release as well.

Not sure what they mean about technical limitations though, those are super capable SoCs with DSP power comparable to a Pentium 3 or about 8x that of the Motorola 56k line. You'd have to have a very demanding (or unoptimized) application to need more than that.
I honestly have no idea, and could well be miss remembering.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

New keyboard stand, I think

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Had a little jam come together last night so I recorded it. Deluge on drums & brain, Peak is doing the pad (Laser Light preset), and the 303 clone is doing the obvious thing.

https://youtu.be/f4oDW5DGkg4

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
I am in the process of buying a (used) electro-smith daisy for $275 that I don't really have right now but will soon enough, probably before chips are more available. That's just a good price, too, Patchwerks claims to have them in stock new for 340 + shipping but they are gone everywhere else. I found an Aussie sale for $450 that sold a month ago, poor aussie modular goons :(

https://soundcloud.com/suboptimal-s...=social_sharing

The drums are hosed up from 0:10 - 0:20 followed by a rough sample fade in, but other than that I was pretty happy with this and had fun making it, 40 mins of loving around before work last week and then 10 mins for 3 attempts at recording.

A friend pointed out that the first bass note doesn't come in until 30 secs before the end, and I pointed out that's just an artifact of starting to send mimeophone towards chaotic zones. I should probably think about basslines a little, but, still very much in the dicking around phase.

VPME QD -> mimeophon, bloom -> 0coast, hydra pads.

edit: i bought the daisy :allears:

gently caress I better sell some poo poo, or, even, like, just not buy anything until Feb.

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Dec 4, 2022

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Patchwerks claims to have them in stock new for 340 + shipping but they are gone everywhere else.

If it helps, as a Seattle goon I can enthusiastically vouch for Patchwerks being honest and a great bunch of people in general, so if they say they have it it's a pretty good bet they actually do.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
These AllFlesh touchable patch things from Control Voltage (https://www.controlvoltage.net/landscape-landscape-allflesh-10pc-kit.html) are pretty cool.

This is not a particularly interesting use of them but I was mostly testing them because my first attempts at soldering them did not work out so well, these 5 work fine. (They do sell them soldered for twice as much).

I am just using them to mult the dynamics output from 0coast to various effects, but it's a cool feeling and I can imagine a lot of fun uses for these things. You can arbitrarily turn parts of your setup into touch interactable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pq6J2BlNlAQ

RocketMermaid posted:

If it helps, as a Seattle goon I can enthusiastically vouch for Patchwerks being honest and a great bunch of people in general, so if they say they have it it's a pretty good bet they actually do.

I ended up getting a used one for 285 shipped from someone on modwiggler

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Thread, here is a question. I've been having a lot of fun with my (secondhand) MPK25, and I guess it's my fault but not sure. I've been noticing the USB jack is getting really loose, and REAPER kept losing it as an input device but when I made sure it didn't move I could play it well enough, at least until this evening. Now Pigments keeps cutting out after usually one note from that device, and then I can select another preset and it will play again, usually just for one note. I'm using more than one MIDI input device so I can say it's only happening for the MPK. This appears to warrant a replacement of the USB jack, yes? Anybody have any helpful input for this, please let me know.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
Yeah it's tricky to replace but can be done. The pads on mine were so far gone that I had to just solder a USB cable on permanently using whatever intact contacts I could find, hopefully yours is in better shape. If you're going to open it up anyway I'd suggest doing the pad sensitivity mod where you add a little tape under the pads (google it) since it can greatly improve their feel.

A LOVELY LAD
Feb 8, 2006

Hey man, wanna hear a secret?

College Slice
Wonder if you could get away with just reflowing the connections on the USB port as opposed to a full replacement - less to go wrong that way.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

It depends on how broken it is. If it's just some cracked solder joints reflowing could help. Every one I've had to replace was the jack itself being broken internally and the only way to fix that is to solder in a new one.

The hardest part about it is getting the solder off of the big lugs that attach the out side of the jack to the board it took me a lot of heat, a solder sucker, and some solder removing braid to get the old ones out.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

These AllFlesh touchable patch things from Control Voltage (https://www.controlvoltage.net/landscape-landscape-allflesh-10pc-kit.html) are pretty cool.

This is not a particularly interesting use of them but I was mostly testing them because my first attempts at soldering them did not work out so well, these 5 work fine. (They do sell them soldered for twice as much).

I am just using them to mult the dynamics output from 0coast to various effects, but it's a cool feeling and I can imagine a lot of fun uses for these things. You can arbitrarily turn parts of your setup into touch interactable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pq6J2BlNlAQ

I've been considering getting these for a long time and I might just pull the trigger on them soon. These seem fun as hell for live performances.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Xpost from the Ridicule Audiophiles thread because they were talking about cats: I've been thinking about 'synthesis for cats'. I wonder what kind of patches I could make in any one of my synths, that a cat would find pleasing. Have there been studies on this?

I imagine they like low rumbling tones like their own purring. Off the top of my head (not opening my DAW because I'm literally that lazy rn) I could probably replicate this with some subby noise/rumble oscillators simply amplitude modulated by a couple of LFOs for that purr texture.

Intermittent staccato chirps from a 303 with the resonance and env mod turned up also sound a lot like birds.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Based on my experiments with my own cat, no patch performs anywhere near as well as glorious, glorious silence.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

A LOVELY LAD posted:

Wonder if you could get away with just reflowing the connections on the USB port as opposed to a full replacement - less to go wrong that way.

I may be mistaken but I don't think the solder is broken. I think it's all in the contacts and now that I'm thinking of it I was considering just taking a dental probe and trying to nudge the springy metal of the contacts into place before I try replacing. I'll update soon.

I may be having some kind of systemic problem here. My Focusrite started acting up last night too. It simply shut down after less than a second every time I restarted it. I thought it may be a cable and it fact it is now working now that I've removed the suspect cable. But this also brings up another question. Should I be shutting down the Focusrite at night or leaving it on all the time like I do with my computer?

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Thumposaurus posted:

It depends on how broken it is. If it's just some cracked solder joints reflowing could help. Every one I've had to replace was the jack itself being broken internally and the only way to fix that is to solder in a new one.

The hardest part about it is getting the solder off of the big lugs that attach the out side of the jack to the board it took me a lot of heat, a solder sucker, and some solder removing braid to get the old ones out.

Okay, I think you are probably correct, and I was thinking possibly I could kinda schmush the jack back into shape. Not sure. I may have to just replace it.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

My kid picked some ghastly piece-of-junk beatbox toy for $50 out of a kid's holiday catalog. My SO said "can't you just use dads stuff?" and they said "I want my OWN!"

Does anyone have a BlipBox? It's 4x the price of the piece-of-junk that kid asked for, but, it looks to me like it has the same instant "push buttons, make noises!" ease of use, and then on top of that if she decides she wants to learn how any of it works, I mean, it's enough of a real thing that you can learn some amount of synthesis on it, and also I have an old unused velocity-sensitive Axiom25 midi KB I can just connect to it and poof she has a keybed and pitch wheel too.

RocketMermaid posted:

I've been considering getting these for a long time and I might just pull the trigger on them soon. These seem fun as hell for live performances.

I did not have a super easy time with the solder, and I saw someone else complaining same. I currently have 5 that work and 5 that need resolder now that I see what a good solder needs to be.

Just floating that, since they do sell them presoldered ($60/10 instead of $30). But, assuming I get the other 5 working, I will probably order 10 more DIY, it's good practice for working up to harder builds.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Pollyanna posted:

Based on my experiments with my own cat, no patch performs anywhere near as well as glorious, glorious silence.

my cat is deeply concerned that the mother32 behind him might start making noises ANY SECOND

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
How do you like that Mother 32?

Also synth cat posts are my favorite posts.

Maybe could use some synth dog posts but I really can’t complain, we got a good thing goin.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
:3

Does anyone have that short video of a very pleased-looking fox terrier sitting at a desk with a TB-3, making acid techno?

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
My old cat would get curious when I make meow noises with a pitch envelope on a saw wave. :unsmith:

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

So Math posted:

My old cat would get curious when I make meow noises with a pitch envelope on a saw wave. :unsmith:

My old landlady had a tiny set of chimes and whenever she rang it her cat, named Kitty, IIRC, would run up and meow. And in my teens my mother's cat would watch me practice guitar and then pluck the strings with her claws, or at least did a few times.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

A mouse chewed on one of my Octatrack knobs once, apparently this is a common problem cause I only figured it out when I googled wtf would make them go flaky overnight

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

My kid picked some ghastly piece-of-junk beatbox toy for $50 out of a kid's holiday catalog. My SO said "can't you just use dads stuff?" and they said "I want my OWN!"

Does anyone have a BlipBox? It's 4x the price of the piece-of-junk that kid asked for, but, it looks to me like it has the same instant "push buttons, make noises!" ease of use, and then on top of that if she decides she wants to learn how any of it works, I mean, it's enough of a real thing that you can learn some amount of synthesis on it, and also I have an old unused velocity-sensitive Axiom25 midi KB I can just connect to it and poof she has a keybed and pitch wheel too.

I did not have a super easy time with the solder, and I saw someone else complaining same. I currently have 5 that work and 5 that need resolder now that I see what a good solder needs to be.

Just floating that, since they do sell them presoldered ($60/10 instead of $30). But, assuming I get the other 5 working, I will probably order 10 more DIY, it's good practice for working up to harder builds.

I have a dato duo, and it rules. A couple 5yos can jam on it together.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Mister Speaker posted:

:3

Does anyone have that short video of a very pleased-looking fox terrier sitting at a desk with a TB-3, making acid techno?

I don't have it, but have these.

Flinger
Oct 16, 2012

Mister Speaker posted:

Xpost from the Ridicule Audiophiles thread because they were talking about cats: I've been thinking about 'synthesis for cats'. I wonder what kind of patches I could make in any one of my synths, that a cat would find pleasing. Have there been studies on this?

I imagine they like low rumbling tones like their own purring. Off the top of my head (not opening my DAW because I'm literally that lazy rn) I could probably replicate this with some subby noise/rumble oscillators simply amplitude modulated by a couple of LFOs for that purr texture.

Intermittent staccato chirps from a 303 with the resonance and env mod turned up also sound a lot like birds.

My cat reacts to stereo effects and not much else. Not necessarily "pleasing" but he's clearly alert and following the sounds when i put on some pink floyd.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

I caved and got a set today. They're fiddly to do, but I was fairly successful - 9 out of 10 are working, and I couldn't solder one because the itty bitty tab broke off of one of the jacks. Already having fun with them though!

edgar_
Sep 4, 2003

kampen mot gud og hvite krist er i gang
Grimey Drawer

I will also plug for the fact that if you have a Strega these will enable you to use its touch points across other parts of your system, both as inputs and outputs

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

edgar_ posted:

I will also plug for the fact that if you have a Strega these will enable you to use its touch points across other parts of your system, both as inputs and outputs

So what I'm getting is they both work and taste good.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Rolo posted:

How do you like that Mother 32?

Also synth cat posts are my favorite posts.

Maybe could use some synth dog posts but I really can’t complain, we got a good thing goin.

Love it. Was using it for basslines last week, and then was experimenting with a "vangelis blade runner" intro patch I ripped off from a PDF this morning: https://soundcloud.com/suboptimal-synthesis/m32-vangelis-inp. I've owned it like 3 years, it's taken this long for me to really get into it at all. Figured out the onboard sequencer and how to remap the assign and midi I/O and that's about all there is to annoying menuless config.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Holy loving poo poo Emilie just release a new firmware for Plaits, including a DX7 emulation:

• 1 Classic waveshapes with filter (HARMO: resonance and filter character - gentle 24dB/octave CCW, harsh 12dB/octave CW, TIMBRE: filter cutoff, MORPH: waveform and sub level, OUT: LP output, AUX: 12dB/octave HP output)
  • 2 Phase distortion and modulation (HARMO: distortion frequency, TIMBRE: distortion amount, MORPH: distortion asymmetry, OUT: carrier is sync’ed (phase distortion), AUX: carrier is free-running (phase modulation)).
  • 3, 4, 5 2-voice, 6-operator FM synth with 32 presets (HARMO: preset selection, TIMBRE: modulator(s) level, MORPH: envelope and modulation stretching/time-travel). The two voices are alternatively triggered whenever a trigger is received on the TRIG input. When the TRIG input is not patched, a single voice plays as a drone, and the MORPH knob allows time-travel along the envelopes and modulations. The LEVEL input is repurposed as a velocity control - controlling loudness or timbre depending on how each preset is programmed. Each model corresponds to a different bank of 32 presets among basses/synths, keyboards/plucked strings/percussions, organs/pads/strings/brass.
  • 6 Wave terrain synthesis with continuous interpolation between eight 2D terrains (HARMO: terrain, TIMBRE: path radius, MORPH: path offset, OUT: Direct terrain height (z), AUX: Terrain height interpreted as phase distortion (sin(y+z)).
  • 7 String machine emulation with stereo filter and chorus (HARMO: chord, TIMBRE: chorus/filter amount, MORPH: waveform, OUT: voices 1&3 predominantly, AUX: voices 2&4 predominantly).
  • 8 Four variable square voices for chords or arpeggios (HARMO: chord, TIMBRE: arpeggio type or chord inversion, MORPH: PW/Sync, OUT: square wave voices, AUX: NES triangle voice, TIMBRE attenuverter: envelope shape). Plug a trigger input to clock the arpeggiator.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Tayter Swift posted:

Holy loving poo poo Emilie just release a new firmware for Plaits, including a DX7 emulation:

• 1 Classic waveshapes with filter (HARMO: resonance and filter character - gentle 24dB/octave CCW, harsh 12dB/octave CW, TIMBRE: filter cutoff, MORPH: waveform and sub level, OUT: LP output, AUX: 12dB/octave HP output)
  • 2 Phase distortion and modulation (HARMO: distortion frequency, TIMBRE: distortion amount, MORPH: distortion asymmetry, OUT: carrier is sync’ed (phase distortion), AUX: carrier is free-running (phase modulation)).
  • 3, 4, 5 2-voice, 6-operator FM synth with 32 presets (HARMO: preset selection, TIMBRE: modulator(s) level, MORPH: envelope and modulation stretching/time-travel). The two voices are alternatively triggered whenever a trigger is received on the TRIG input. When the TRIG input is not patched, a single voice plays as a drone, and the MORPH knob allows time-travel along the envelopes and modulations. The LEVEL input is repurposed as a velocity control - controlling loudness or timbre depending on how each preset is programmed. Each model corresponds to a different bank of 32 presets among basses/synths, keyboards/plucked strings/percussions, organs/pads/strings/brass.
  • 6 Wave terrain synthesis with continuous interpolation between eight 2D terrains (HARMO: terrain, TIMBRE: path radius, MORPH: path offset, OUT: Direct terrain height (z), AUX: Terrain height interpreted as phase distortion (sin(y+z)).
  • 7 String machine emulation with stereo filter and chorus (HARMO: chord, TIMBRE: chorus/filter amount, MORPH: waveform, OUT: voices 1&3 predominantly, AUX: voices 2&4 predominantly).
  • 8 Four variable square voices for chords or arpeggios (HARMO: chord, TIMBRE: arpeggio type or chord inversion, MORPH: PW/Sync, OUT: square wave voices, AUX: NES triangle voice, TIMBRE attenuverter: envelope shape). Plug a trigger input to clock the arpeggiator.
Whoa. That is one hell of a flex.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

:dogcited:

duck.exe
Apr 14, 2012

Nap Ghost

Tayter Swift posted:

:vince:

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Ugh I was gonna get a volca fm but maybe I'll just get a plaits clone

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world

Tayter Swift posted:

i wonder if this will work with behringer brains. even more glad i impulse bought a plaits a little while ago

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

Tayter Swift posted:

:sickos: Definitely loading this onto my Beehive tonight.

Emilie is a goddamn legend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

CatBlack posted:

i wonder if this will work with behringer brains. even more glad i impulse bought a plaits a little while ago

I think Behringer Brains is a clone of Braids, not Plaits.