Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

What a fine cat!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
Agreed.

Smokey
Tanooki
Trash Goblin/Panda
Panda
Inspector General Cuddle-pants
Tom Hanks

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

Rebecca!
Rocky?

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

:hmmyes: I'm not sure why but this one speaks to me

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
Maybeline, for that eyeliner

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Petronius the arbiter

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Weird Pumpkin posted:

:hmmyes: I'm not sure why but this one speaks to me

He is (among) the best of Americans. So is your boy. I saved that one for last to pad it with worse options you had to consider because it was the best one.

He carries himself like a Tom Hanks.

ILL Machina fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Dec 2, 2022

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

ILL Machina posted:

He is (among) the best of Americans. So is your boy. I saved that one for last to pad it with worse options you had to consider because it was the best one.

He carries himself like a Tom Hanks.

Oh I'm not the op here, I just like that name for a cat lol

Man, I've had to be up super late on calls lately and my cats like to sleep on and near me. They really get some sleep twitches sometimes, must be some intense dreams

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Weird Pumpkin posted:

Oh I'm not the op here, I just like that name for a cat lol

Man, I've had to be up super late on calls lately and my cats like to sleep on and near me. They really get some sleep twitches sometimes, must be some intense dreams

I stand by my statements. I also love a twitchy dream cat.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
My cat just cornered a mouse, I put the mouse in a jar, should I throw the mouse outside or let my cat have the mouse? She just seemed to be batting it around/playing with it.

e: Update: I called my dad who suggested I put the mouse outside as its possible the mouse might have parasites/etc, so I did so! Surprised how effective my cat was at it though, she was clearly on the hunt for like 4 hours and it bore fruit. I'd have lost patience after 5 minutes.

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Dec 3, 2022

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar
My dad's cat Bert would just eat the mice. Saw him ripping one apart in the driveway before dawn. Ate the whole thing by the time I got back from my bike ride.

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I have an ancient house and mice get in from time to time. My little tux kitty will find them while I'm sleeping and leave them dead in the middle of my living room.

Except for the one time i heard crashing from behind me. Turned me to see the tux with a live mouse in her mouth. She saw me and ran off with it. Didn't find it until the next morning. Dead in my living room

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My cats have caught a couple mice, but they have no clue how to kill so they just smack them around until the poor thing dies from fright.

The one that likes to go on leash walks has pounced on a couple in the lawn too, and once she does that and the mouse starts shrieking bloody murder she locks up like "usually my toys don't make noise, what the hell do I do now??" So she lifts her paws and the mouse disappears into the distance.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

It's pretty normal for cats to kill / eat mice, but if your cat does it you really need to deworm her a few times per year because mice are full of worms.

I'm not aware of any other diseases cats can get from mice, but if the mouse had already been poisoned by a trap then it's possible that the poison might harm your cat.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Well mice carry toxoplasma.

Marcie unfortunately has had a catch-and-release policy towards mice in our place in the mountains. The poor things then can't escape and we find corpses a while later. The air is super dry up there so fortunately they dessicate rather than decompose.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Thank you for the thoughts Gorgar! You guys have been so cool and I really appreciate it.

There's a new development- as stated before, I have a bonded pair with one male and one female. They are about 7 months old, adopted from a rescue shelter one week ago.

Usually they are incredibly loving, and partake pretty equally in pets, and actually pet EACH OTHER which is an interesting phenomenon that I haven't seen before. Maybe this is common? I don't know but I've owned a few cats and I've never seen one cat petting/nuzzling/kneading on the other cat. And I mean full on petting, with paws. It's pretty special.

Anyways, that's not my question.

There is a large size difference between the two cats. The male is huge- easily twice the size- and the female is basically a runt; smol even for a female.

She's insanely cute and sweet, and strangely she was actually the dominant partner in the early days- Miles would copy everything she did, including going to the bathroom. She's the adventurous one overall.

However as they have become comfortable in our home the dynamic has shifted. Miles is, at times becoming pretty jealous of Molly. This is an issue because of the size difference.

It came to a head last night when in a jealous fit, Mile's chomped Molly's neck. It was fairly soft, but she did cry out.

This is not a pattern, it's only happened one time, but I wanted to ask if this is something I should worry about and if so, where to start. Again, Molly was totally fine, but it really took me off guard since they're so friendly otherwise. He even got mad at me petting Molly and gently chomped my finger in some kind of casual warning...

Any thoughts? Thanks yall.

e: Sorry maybe I wasn't very clear; by jealous I mean, he will sometimes have negative responses if Molly is being pet more than him. And today it's like nothing happened and they're back to being totally chill.

Taima fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Dec 3, 2022

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!
I am in the process of kitten-proofing my apartment and I'm a bit worried about my stove. It's an old electric coil stove but I'm a little worried about a cat potentially jumping onto the hot stove when I'm not looking. It takes a while to cool off. Anyone have any suggestions or should I just be super cautious and hyper aware of where the cat is when I'm cooking?

Luckily, the knobs are all push to turn and you need to turn both the bake and temperature setting to turn the oven on.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

HellOnEarth posted:

I am in the process of kitten-proofing my apartment and I'm a bit worried about my stove. It's an old electric coil stove but I'm a little worried about a cat potentially jumping onto the hot stove when I'm not looking. It takes a while to cool off. Anyone have any suggestions or should I just be super cautious and hyper aware of where the cat is when I'm cooking?

Luckily, the knobs are all push to turn and you need to turn both the bake and temperature setting to turn the oven on.

I think long-term the goal should be to teach your kitten that kitchen counters are Not Okay To Jump On. This may be as simple as repeatedly just setting them back on the floor with a firm "no" whenever they jump up, or could require doing something like spreading tin foil across the countertops when you're not using them to make them unpleasant to jump on if they're really persistent about it.

For some cats, though, it can be more of "you're doing a thing, I want to be involved" and might be able to get them to use a cat bed perch as like a Designated Watch-Human-Cook spot...though that might not work when young because kitten energy.

Heck, I saw a lady on tiktok whose cat loves cuddles so much that she made a hoodie with a giant pocket for him to sit in and he just loves getting carried around the house like that.

Some kind of mechanized automatic toy might be useful to keep kitty busy while you cook as well?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I just put unused cast-iron skillets or other heat-sink pans on the burners when I pull supper off them.

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!

taiyoko posted:

For some cats, though, it can be more of "you're doing a thing, I want to be involved" and might be able to get them to use a cat bed perch as like a Designated Watch-Human-Cook spot...though that might not work when young because kitten energy.

I do have a windowsill in the kitchen that would be good for designated kitten audience... Maybe that combined with some tinfoil or something sticky would work.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I just put unused cast-iron skillets or other heat-sink pans on the burners when I pull supper off them.

That's also a good idea. At least something big enough to discourage exploration...

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Definitely agree with your plan to keep an eye on the stove or the cat while it's cooling in any case. Stuff you put on top could get hot too. Even up to the point of putting them in another room if they're persistent and you can't enforce/reprimand for whatever reason.

Another dumb suggestion, you could erect some walls so they can't walk across the countertop. You might set the walls on fire and the cat might jump up between them, so I can't imagine that's a really good plan compared to the others.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
Our kitchen at one point had a door, which made it easy to put up a gate to keep the cats out. However, Katya decided a few months ago that he actually could and did want to jump the gate and go upstairs so I ended up getting a portable screen door. It works well enough but my partner and our upstairs roommate/landlord hate because they think it looks like a body bag.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Our oldest cat was scooting along the floor for the first time ever, her butthole has what looks like a brown thing coming out of the butthole skin, not the actual hole, but the skin of the hole. We're taking her to a vet on Monday but for now, what can we do? We cleaned the butthole with baby wipes, it was very stinky. I assume it's her anal glands. It sort of looks like a worm embedded in her skin but I think it's part of her body.

Edit: she doesn't go outside ever, nor do our other cats. We have no worms or fleas in the house afaik.

redreader fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Dec 4, 2022

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

redreader posted:

Our oldest cat was scooting along the floor for the first time ever, her butthole has what looks like a brown thing coming out of the butthole skin, not the actual hole, but the skin of the hole. We're taking her to a vet on Monday but for now, what can we do? We cleaned the butthole with baby wipes, it was very stinky. I assume it's her anal glands. It sort of looks like a worm embedded in her skin but I think it's part of her body.

Edit: she doesn't go outside ever, nor do our other cats. We have no worms or fleas in the house afaik.
That sounds like when our oldest cat had a blocked anal gland. It burst on the outside of the skin and we had to take her to an emergency vet to get it drained. $1000 bill for that, plus another regular vet bill 10 days later when we took her in for a follow-up.

It looked like what you described and then burst within about 45 minutes. We didn't notice anything different that day so it emerged really quickly.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

ILL Machina posted:

Another dumb suggestion, you could erect some walls so they can't walk across the countertop. You might set the walls on fire and the cat might jump up between them, so I can't imagine that's a really good plan compared to the others.
Unless he's planning on taking the act on the road, no.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

https://vcahospitals.com/know-your-pet/anal-sac-disease-in-cats

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Can anyone recommend a cat tree for an older (16!) somewhat large (~14lbs) cat? He can't jump quite as well as he used to, but generally can still climb pretty well. I wanted to get him something nice to sit on and watch the birds outside, but a lot of the trees I'm seeing require a bit of acrobatics or have platforms that may be too small for him. Bonus points for something he can also scratch up. (he loves his sisal scratching post)

The little guy in question:

Thanks!

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Can cats start feeling "food secure"?

We've had our cat Affie for about 6 months now and for the 3 months or so she felt quite food motivated: she'd always be down to get food as soon as we provided it and ate quite a big portion each time. Nowadays though she doesn't seem as bothered about food: initially we thought something was wrong, but she does tend to eat what we provide, just a lot more slowly, and her general mood/behaviour hasn't changed apart from not scarfing things down immediately. Should this be something that we should check with the vet, or can cats start feeling that their source of food is more secure eventually so they don't feel the need to eat as quickly as possible?

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Yeah it's normal, especially if they came from outside or a competitive eating environment and don't have the same stress levels, but usually it doesn't happen that quickly, I'd say. If they're still eating everything, just grazing more, you're probably good. Couldn't hurt to mention at your next vet visit, though.

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.
we've switched foods before when Katya stopped eating her portions in one go, we kept an eye on her weight which didn't change much but Kimchi kept trying to sneak over to her bowl after she was 'done'. took a couple of brands but she's now happily begging for food again and finishing the bowl without scarfing it down.

she used to be a stray so it took a good year or two to feel food-secure, then it dipped, and now she seems to have a healthy appetite. could be a similar issue but keep an eye on her weight to be sure, it's probably just a cat being a cat.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar

Dr. Eldarion posted:

Can anyone recommend a cat tree for an older (16!) somewhat large (~14lbs) cat? He can't jump quite as well as he used to, but generally can still climb pretty well. I wanted to get him something nice to sit on and watch the birds outside, but a lot of the trees I'm seeing require a bit of acrobatics or have platforms that may be too small for him. Bonus points for something he can also scratch up. (he loves his sisal scratching post)

Thanks!

This is the time of year that Costco brings in some nice tall cat trees in the $90 range. And I have plenty of older cats that have no problem going up and done those ones. The platforms are spaced and offset enough for them to hop/long step up and down.

And Pet Food Express, they tend to have cat tree sale a couple times a year too for $99 trees comparable in height to the ones at Costco.

Mind you, this has always been in-store. The online selection is pretty lacking.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Dr. Eldarion posted:

Thanks!

I've bought these two and highly recommend them. Canadian Amazon links but you can almost certainly find them on your version of amazon:

Short: (this one's hammock basket thing might be too small for a full grown cat)

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B08PBM8VV8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Tall: (this one's hammock basket is bigger and fits Quill very well, she's about 14lbs).

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B08MQ3567G/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Both were easy to assemble, feel very sturdy, and have held up extremely well.

https://i.imgur.com/DgAni2j.mp4

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Thanks, both of you for the recommendations! I'll take a look and see if they'll work.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Equigroomer review: the cats mind it less than a normal brush/comb, it definitely does its job of removing undercoat, the only downside is that the removed fur doesn't really stay on the comb so you have to keep grabbing it with your other hand which is a little awkward depending on your cat.

The packaging said it's designed to mimic the effect and feel of a cat's tongue and I think that's pretty cool and makes sense.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
Just wanted to rec an awesome scratching post because it's 50% off on Chewy.com right now ($40, down from $80) -- https://www.chewy.com/smartcat-ultimate-32-in-sisal-cat/dp/49134

My cat has used this thing many times a day for at least a year and it still looks brand new. It will probably last the rest of his life at this rate (he's 9). He's also very large and 25 pounds, so I've weighted down the base with dumbbells and it's now super sturdy.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Rabbit Hill posted:

He's also very large and 25 pounds

Are you sure you don’t have two cats?

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
update about the thing sticking out of my cat's bum: it was dried anal gland stuff. They expressed the gland and it was all good. The vet said that she didn't really know anything that would help, and I should check online. She knows stuff that helps dogs, but not really cats. The issue is probably due to the poo not being solid enough to help express the anal gland when she goes, and that it's a normal 'old lady kitty' issue. Since she's on an all wet food diet due to a really sensitive stomach, it's an issue.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Rabbit Hill posted:

Just wanted to rec an awesome scratching post because it's 50% off on Chewy.com right now ($40, down from $80) -- https://www.chewy.com/smartcat-ultimate-32-in-sisal-cat/dp/49134

My cat has used this thing many times a day for at least a year and it still looks brand new. It will probably last the rest of his life at this rate (he's 9). He's also very large and 25 pounds, so I've weighted down the base with dumbbells and it's now super sturdy.

We have one very similar to that and our cats hate it. They'll perch on top of it but they refuse to do their nails on it. So in summary, cats are impossible to predict.

They do like sisal though, I have a couple DIY posts made from rope I got from home depot that I have to replace every few years because they shred it to death.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer

Pollyanna posted:

Are you sure you don’t have two cats?
Ha, I used to -- a normal-sized cat, and Tobias was twice his size in every dimension.

Tobias is something of a medical mystery to me and my vet (okay, granted, we haven't dug too deep into solving the mystery). At his size, he should require about 430 calories/day to maintain his weight. For over a year, I've fed him a strict, vet-approved diet of 250 calories/day with no treats, and he's only lost a couple of ounces. He doesn't have diabetes or any other apparent health issues besides the obesity, and he was very big (height/length-wise) for his age as a kitten, so my vet's not concerned. (She also doesn't want me to restrict his calories any further.)

I'm a little concerned, because I want him to be healthy and live forever. He gets at least 30 min (broken into intervals) of exercise a day, I live alone and keep his food out of reach in a tub he can't get into, and a human will lose weight at nearly a 200 calorie/day deficit, so why isn't this cat?? :iiam:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

redreader posted:

update about the thing sticking out of my cat's bum: it was dried anal gland stuff. They expressed the gland and it was all good. The vet said that she didn't really know anything that would help, and I should check online. She knows stuff that helps dogs, but not really cats. The issue is probably due to the poo not being solid enough to help express the anal gland when she goes, and that it's a normal 'old lady kitty' issue. Since she's on an all wet food diet due to a really sensitive stomach, it's an issue.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions?
You're not gonna like this, but you'll probably have to periodically express the anal glands manually.