Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

If you want to see what espionage really is like, The Looking Glass War by Le Carré should be on your list

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
A fair chunk of the Master and Commander books by Patrick O'Brian deals with espionage of one sort or another.

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

For Le Carré that focuses more on diplomats try Agent Running in the Field or Tailor of Panama. For Le Carré that's about possibly retired spies and local fixtures, try Silverview.

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

You might also like Timothy Garton Ash's The File. It's a nonfiction memoir by a British correspondent who requested his Stasi file after the fall of the Berlin Wall. Lots of interesting stuff about how they operated as a state police + how they interacted with journalists, diplomats, foreigners etc.

bltzn
Oct 26, 2020

For the record I do not have a foot fetish.
Anyone have recommendations for non fiction that takes place in greece, or even fantasy inspired by greek mythology, for someone that has already read Song of Achilles and Circe?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

bltzn posted:

Anyone have recommendations for non fiction that takes place in greece, or even fantasy inspired by greek mythology, for someone that has already read Song of Achilles and Circe?

If historical fiction fits in this category, then anything by Mary Renault. Literally anything. Start with The King Must Die

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

If historical fiction fits in this category, then anything by Mary Renault. Literally anything. Start with The King Must Die

Harry Turtledove also did 5 books of Grecian historial fiction, starting with "Over the Wine Dark Sea" (first 4 books under H N Turtletaub): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hellenic_Traders

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
imo the best ancient Greek historical fiction comes from Mary Renault (the GOAT of historical fiction in general in my eyes, kudos to Hieronymous for getting me into her work, tho man its sad when you finally run out) and Alfred Duggan (wrote a solid novel about Demetrius the Besieger among others). Think Thomas C Holt has some good ones too, though the latter two deal more in Rome typically.

Robert Graves is fantastic though most of his stuff deals with Rome. I did recently read his novel Homer's Daughter tho and that is set in ancient ancient near mythical Greece, also deals with a lot of mythology of course. Def recommend.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

bltzn posted:

Expedition to Disaster: The Athenian Mission to Sicily 415 BC by Philip Matyszak is a great little history of an extremely dumb war.

bltzn
Oct 26, 2020

For the record I do not have a foot fetish.
Thanks for the recommendations but also I'm an idiot I meant to say fiction, not fiction!!

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

bltzn posted:

Thanks for the recommendations but also I'm an idiot I meant to say fiction, not fiction!!

Thanks for clarifying that

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

bltzn posted:

there's John Cowper Powys' Atlantis, which is about the elderly Odysseus going on his final voyage and presumably having conversations with leaves like every other JCP book

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

i'm looking for a rec for a Christmas present for my brother. His favorite book is Between Two Fires, he's a big fan of fantasy but less traditional wizards and elves and dragons style and more "realistic" style (though that doesn't mean it can't have magic or creatures etc). He also likes the Black Company series if that helps.

Bonus points if it's a series but one-off books are great too.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Kvlt! posted:

i'm looking for a rec for a Christmas present for my brother. His favorite book is Between Two Fires, he's a big fan of fantasy but less traditional wizards and elves and dragons style and more "realistic" style (though that doesn't mean it can't have magic or creatures etc). He also likes the Black Company series if that helps.

A good low fantasy series is Otherworldly Izakaya Nobu. It's about a modern day Japanese pub whose front door opens into a Germanic medieval fantasy world. The various people of the fantasy city stop by and their troubles are lessened by the delicious food and cold beer that's unlike anything they've ever had before. There are no elves or dragons, but there is a witch (who mainly just seems to be a classic folk healer with herbs and stuff) and mention of a kraken. It also does get a bit into the economics and trade of the fantasy world

Heterogenia Linguistico is another good option. It's about a linguist who travels into a part of the world inhabited by various kinds of beastmen, in an attempt to learn their languages and cultures.

Gripweed fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Dec 7, 2022

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Gripweed posted:

A good low fantasy series is Otherworldly Izakaya Nobu. It's about a modern day Japanese pub whose front door opens into a Germanic medieval fantasy world. The various people of the fantasy city stop by and their troubles are lessened by the delicious food and cold beer that's unlike anything they've ever had before. There are no elves or dragons, but there is a witch (who mainly just seems to be a classic folk healer with herbs and stuff) and mention of a kraken. It also does get a bit into the economics and trade of the fantasy world

Greatly appreciate the suggestion! Looking it up I'm not quite sure if that would be right for him, he definitely likes a fair amount of action and darker storylines (though I didn't put that in my op, I should have).

I should also clarify I'm looking just for novels not graphic novels or manga

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Sorry, I only know manga.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

no need to be sorry i appreciate the suggestions!

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Kvlt! posted:

Maybe the Witcher books?

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Kvlt! posted:

The Traitor Son series by Miles Cameron hits some of the same notes as Between Two Fires, though it's much more fantastical. The author seems to be a big medieval nerd so the non-magical things have a good feeling of authenticity - the armour, combat, travel etc. It's dark and violent.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

anilEhilated posted:

Maybe the Witcher books?

i know he likes the games so ill def check these out ty!

Chas McGill posted:

The Traitor Son series by Miles Cameron hits some of the same notes as Between Two Fires, though it's much more fantastical. The author seems to be a big medieval nerd so the non-magical things have a good feeling of authenticity - the armour, combat, travel etc. It's dark and violent.

These look right up his alley im def gonna get him the first one, ty!

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Kvlt! posted:

I haven't read Between Two Fires, but I have read Black Company. He might like Malazan Book of the Fallen if he's okay with a very long series

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Elyv posted:

I haven't read Between Two Fires, but I have read Black Company. He might like Malazan Book of the Fallen if he's okay with a very long series
I love Malazan to death but it's chock-full of elves, dragons and wizards.

Another possible suggestion that occured to me are the Low Town books by Daniel Polansky. Basically crime novels set in a fantasy city, very page turn-y.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Kvlt! posted:

I recommend The Goblin Emperor and it's sequels.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Kvlt! posted:

I recommend The Night-Bird's Feather by Jenna Moran, which is extremely good, part of a series, and very much non-traditional. I don't know if I would call it "realistic" but correct jam-making techniques are a major element.

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..

Kvlt! posted:

It kinda seems too obvious, but Joe Abercrombie's First Law series seems to be exactly what you want, but it's so well known I'm guessing maybe he's already read all that?

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Kvlt! posted:

The Drenai books by David Gemmell might suit him.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

tons of great stuff here everyone, thank you so much. His birthday is shortly after Christmas so now I've got Christmas and birthday presents for him!

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
maybe a longshot: anybody have recommendations for books on film theory? could be analyzing a specific work, or going through a movement, or just an introduction to the topic, whatever you've got. i just want to learn to read movies better

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

maybe a longshot: anybody have recommendations for books on film theory? could be analyzing a specific work, or going through a movement, or just an introduction to the topic, whatever you've got. i just want to learn to read movies better

David Bordwell and Kitstin Thompson's books and blog are a good starting point for understanding how film technique, technology, and form shape our experiences watching.

http://www.davidbordwell.net/blog/

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Looking for detective/mystery novels set in non-english speaking countries and preferably not in Europe. I really enjoyed Keigo Higashino's stuff, for example. Bonus if the "foreign" (to me) setting plays a big role in the novel.

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..
I really enjoyed Abir Mukherjee's series of novels set in India from about 1920 onwards. The setting absolutely plays a significant role in many of the stories, and they're just overall well written and fun mysteries.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Chas McGill posted:

Looking for detective/mystery novels set in non-english speaking countries and preferably not in Europe. I really enjoyed Keigo Higashino's stuff, for example. Bonus if the "foreign" (to me) setting plays a big role in the novel.

The Name of the Rose is set in a medieval Italian monastery, and leans very hard into the setting. Dense as gently caress, though.

The Judge Dee novels are famous, although I haven't read them myself.

Haystack fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Dec 9, 2022

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Chas McGill posted:

No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency series is set in Botswana and is top notch (if you like them theres tons of to, at least 20)

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

I have a sort of odd request: please recommend to me your favorite books under 300 pages.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

hallo spacedog posted:

I have a sort of odd request: please recommend to me your favorite books under 300 pages.

Anything by Italo Calvino. If I had to pick one, The Nonexistent Knight.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012
Ficciones by Borges

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

hallo spacedog posted:

Anything by Cesar Aira. I also think all of Kafka falls under this.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Haystack posted:

I recommend The Goblin Emperor and it's sequels.

this book is literally all elves

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

hallo spacedog posted:

Slowness

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

White Noise is my favourite book and it’s 330 pages, maybe you could find a small print version that cuts it down.
Otherwise off the top of my head, Gunslinger