Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

nitsuga posted:

What you should really consider is getting a Mastery bridge kit. My Squier Jaguar was really kind of a nightmare to even keep in tune before I did that, but once I did it seemed to kind of just fix everything wrong with the guitar for me.

Those are like $200 right? I was looking at one of these which my tutor recently installed in another Jag and thought was good.

And maybe tuners should be done separately later but I found these on Amazon which have a good rating. Or I could get Gotohs or Klusons from Armstrong for £40-60 or so, although they do have adjustable height ones which might be a benefit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

'm pro-dickgirl, and I VOTE!

TheMightyBoops posted:

The Revstar is cool, but the Yamaha SG is what I really want when I have the cash:

Hell yeah. The Yamaha SGs are such sexy guitars and it blows my mind that almost nobody makes anything like them anymore.

Eastwood makes a John McGeoch signature model in that style. But I don’t think I’ve seen anyone else actively making one.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
Ibanez ARs are that shape:

https://www.ibanez.com/usa/products/detail/ar420_4l_04.html

Ian Williams from Battles uses one as his main guitar after getting gifted a vintage one.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
my dad had one that was like 15 pounds

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

good jovi posted:

Hell yeah. The Yamaha SGs are such sexy guitars and it blows my mind that almost nobody makes anything like them anymore.

Eastwood makes a John McGeoch signature model in that style. But I don’t think I’ve seen anyone else actively making one.

One of the main reasons I’d want this instead of a Les Paul:

I had a Les Paul a really long time ago and it was the most uncomfortable guitar I’ve ever played.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

BizarroAzrael posted:

Those are like $200 right? I was looking at one of these which my tutor recently installed in another Jag and thought was good.

And maybe tuners should be done separately later but I found these on Amazon which have a good rating. Or I could get Gotohs or Klusons from Armstrong for £40-60 or so, although they do have adjustable height ones which might be a benefit.

Looks like $250 or so altogether for an international shipment, so definitely an outlay (Link). It's up to you obviously, but I could see the value in giving that other bridge a try. I don't know for sure, but it seems to be following some of the same principles. Notably, lock the bridge in place and let the strings move freely across it. The stock bridge is supposed to rock back and forth and center itself, but that has never really worked out in my experience.

Anyway, as for tuners, I think I would hold off. I don't know how big of an improvement you'll really see even with a name brand set. With these offset guitars, the bridge has always been the pain point. Fix that and see how things go is my two cents.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
been playing my rick bass for years and only just realized that they lined up the 4 pot set up completely orthogonally to a Les Paul arrangement and now I can't even use the volume right

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Landgrabber, definitely get a Plumes, it's great and affordable (not affordable "relative" either!) and is a versatile drive pedal from clean to pseduo-distortion. Really nice, and if you pair it with another mid-gain drive it gives a thick distortion without a poo poo tonne of noise.

Also I finally have time to work on songs and my hosed shoulder is playing up again, so it won't be doing much for a while. The best part of your twenties is when other people permanently destroy your body, for no reason, even going so far as to apologise immediately after but the damage is done.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
My favorite is running the Plumes after a Big Muff style fuzz.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
in my experiments with my weird modern/vintage crossover explorer, i have found that 25.75 is the secret scale length that THEY don't want you to know about. String tension is perfect with appropriately light strings across all tunings

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

A few months ago I decided I wanted to try to learn guitar. I’m not really sure why. I’ve always liked guitars, but it literally never occurred to me that I might be able to learn myself. It was always one of those things I assumed was beyond me. :shrug:

When I saw how inexpensive a starter guitar is, I said ‘Why not. It’s not a huge investment so I may as well try.’ I got a strat style electric and found out I really like playing! I then got a starter acoustic because I wondered which I liked more. Turns out, I like both. Huh.

Anyway, what’s the goonsensus on strings to start out with? The electric (a Donner) came with pretty stiff strings. I put some Ernie Bell super slinky (9) on them, then when the thin E string broke, I put 10s on it. Seems pretty okay. The acoustic (a Fender) had REALLY stiff strings on it, so I put 10s on that too - Elixir 80/20 bronze 10-47. It’s much better, but I wonder if I should go lighter until I get better, or go heavier to get used to it?

The 10s seem good, so it’s not a problem, I just wondered. I read the first pages and didn’t see any recommendations but maybe I’m just blind.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Acoustics you generally put heavier strings on it since you don't have magnets picking up subtle vibrations and amplifying it, you gotta do it all manually and heavier strings are going to be louder and more full-sounding. I use Ernie Ball Slinkies (which are 10s) on pretty much everything, personally.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Regular D'Addario 9's on Strats and Teles, 10s on Les Pauls and shorter scale guitars. I used to use Dean Markley Blue Steel 11s on everything, but I'm becoming an old man with bad joints and the lighter gauges let me play much longer. Plus they quit making those years ago.

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

'm pro-dickgirl, and I VOTE!

Huh, yeah. I think something about those tailpieces put me off originally, but I'm kinda digging it now.

lazerwolf posted:

My favorite is running the Plumes after a Big Muff style fuzz.

And I love mine into a muff-style fuzz (keeley moon specifically), so you're probably gonna be ok either way!

If I was considering a Plumes now I'd also look at the Special Cranker. That's probably just because I always want the new shiny thing, though.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

good jovi is a funny loving name.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Doctor Zero posted:

A few months ago I decided I wanted to try to learn guitar. I’m not really sure why. I’ve always liked guitars, but it literally never occurred to me that I might be able to learn myself. It was always one of those things I assumed was beyond me. :shrug:

When I saw how inexpensive a starter guitar is, I said ‘Why not. It’s not a huge investment so I may as well try.’ I got a strat style electric and found out I really like playing! I then got a starter acoustic because I wondered which I liked more. Turns out, I like both. Huh.

Anyway, what’s the goonsensus on strings to start out with? The electric (a Donner) came with pretty stiff strings. I put some Ernie Bell super slinky (9) on them, then when the thin E string broke, I put 10s on it. Seems pretty okay. The acoustic (a Fender) had REALLY stiff strings on it, so I put 10s on that too - Elixir 80/20 bronze 10-47. It’s much better, but I wonder if I should go lighter until I get better, or go heavier to get used to it?

The 10s seem good, so it’s not a problem, I just wondered. I read the first pages and didn’t see any recommendations but maybe I’m just blind.

9s or 10s on electric, whatever feels better to you (I like 9s). 10s or 11s or 12s on acoustic (I like 11s). I haven't personally found brands or price points to make much of a difference. I did find that I don't like coated strings (e.g. Elixers), they feel all plasticky in a bad way, and non-coated strings last many months for me anyway.

It is a bit surprising to me that I don't see much discussion of strings. Everyone goes on and on about tone woods and fretboard materials or whatever, but people rarely talk about strings, which seems like it'd be a big thing. Dunno.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I noticed recently on my martin when I was blaming strings for going dead too fast it was actually my inventory of old picks being dull, soft, some burred edges on a few of them

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

ethanol posted:

I noticed recently on my martin when I was blaming strings for going dead too fast it was actually my inventory of old picks being dull, soft, some burred edges on a few of them

Martin's crave monel strings
highly recommend if you don't currently use them

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

ColdPie posted:

9s or 10s on electric, whatever feels better to you (I like 9s). 10s or 11s or 12s on acoustic (I like 11s). I haven't personally found brands or price points to make much of a difference. I did find that I don't like coated strings (e.g. Elixers), they feel all plasticky in a bad way, and non-coated strings last many months for me anyway.

It is a bit surprising to me that I don't see much discussion of strings. Everyone goes on and on about tone woods and fretboard materials or whatever, but people rarely talk about strings, which seems like it'd be a big thing. Dunno.

Cool thanks. I’ll stick to these until I develop callouses.

I read in the reviews for the elixirs that some people didn’t like the feel, but I didn’t notice anything. Either I’m not experienced enough to notice or maybe the ones that cam on it were also coated. :iiam:

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
Pick chat: recently "rediscovered" jazz III picks. When I got my first guitar at age 16 I also got a pack of Dunlop Stubby 2.0mm picks. I liked them enough, but at the time I was like why are these so small everyone else is using bigger picks. Since then I had tried the Big Stubbies a few times and hated them and settled into regular Tortex blues which got the job done.

This summer though I decided to try a bunch of Dunlop variety packs and now I'm fully on the Jazz III wagon, also found an old 2.0mm stubby in my guitar case and realized that they were the same shape. Always thought I had just bought weird picks when I was a noob but it turns out they're good. My preference so far is the OG 2.0mm stubby, or the 1mm Ultex. The nylon ones are ok as well but I can't see myself going back to regular sized picks anytime soon.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

Plank Walker posted:

Pick chat: recently "rediscovered" jazz III picks. When I got my first guitar at age 16 I also got a pack of Dunlop Stubby 2.0mm picks. I liked them enough, but at the time I was like why are these so small everyone else is using bigger picks. Since then I had tried the Big Stubbies a few times and hated them and settled into regular Tortex blues which got the job done.

This summer though I decided to try a bunch of Dunlop variety packs and now I'm fully on the Jazz III wagon, also found an old 2.0mm stubby in my guitar case and realized that they were the same shape. Always thought I had just bought weird picks when I was a noob but it turns out they're good. My preference so far is the OG 2.0mm stubby, or the 1mm Ultex. The nylon ones are ok as well but I can't see myself going back to regular sized picks anytime soon.

Don't sleep on the jazz tone 205s. I tried some of them after they were recommended here and they are my preferred pick now.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

re: acoustics:

limited experience but in stores playing stuff i could conceivably afford (like, the upper end of sub-$1000), i've been much more into the taylor's i've played than the martin's. they sound a lot richer, which is something i like.

re: picks:

i use the orange tortex and i play 9s. i think maybe i prefer that because the parts i'm usually playing/writing are dead simple but they're like, holding a big chord with my left hand, and playing it fast -- like a barre chord, or a jazz voicing or something. speaking of which, a great discovery for me recently was a jazz major7 chord voicing, that's like 3X443X. it feels really weird at first but it does sound cool and you can easily move to/from a major9 voicing i like a lot-- X3543X.

some e/n that is guitar/songwriting related: i'm kind of giving up learning how to play guitar in any real way, or even learn that much lead, and also my attempts at formalism. i think failing out of school kind of wrung that out of me. lately i've been really more into midwest emo and pop punk and proper pop more than ever.

so im really into learning new types of voicings and chord movements. like i'm way into the way the guy in dogleg plays, and the weird modern baseball/say anything chord shapes (where you might play an A like 5X76XX), and learning to play in drop tunings and move around in them.

i think there was an urge to be a Real musician, and do things Formally, because i was aware of how all of this music that was so looked down on was a little formalistic at its best. but i think i either realized or either i just don't really feel like i'm cut out for anything like that, or at least, that's not what my aims are. i would rather write a crunchy emo song with a direct chorus that a bunch of other people with CPTSD connect with than try to be a great jazz guitarist, or compose a modern opera or something.

maybe i'll study graphic design or mandarin or something.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
I'm finding I really like Jazz IIIs lately. I'm not sure of its an ergonomic thing, but I find I strum a bit more smoothly than I do with the orange or yellow Tortex's I normally go for. I'm still trying to break old heavy handed habits, and they make me do that somehow, although I'm worried I won't be able to go back to "normal" picks.

Is there anywhere I can find a real idiots guide on devices and software needed to plug into my laptop and practice without it sounding like total butts? Everything gets a bit jargony. I just want to be able to male sure I can get practice time on those evenings where its maybe 10pm by the time life and chores are done, and although my neighbours have never complained, I don't want to give them cause to begin. Is that even possible? Headphones into an amp never sounds great to me.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
My personal preference is modeling amps, such as a katana or the Yamaha thr series. Either way it's just a complete running software, but they're going to be dedicated hardware focused solely on sounding good with as little latency as possible. A laptop is always going to have issues with latency, running a lot of systems that aren't about making your guitar sound good and with limited laptop resources.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

The Fender mustang micro can be a USB interface or a stand-alone headphone amp.
Other than that you'd be looking at getting another type of USB interface like a Scarlett solo.
I had an M-audio one but the latency was pretty bad, I'm now using an older lexicon lambda and the latency is much better.

I primarily use mine with reaper and running the guitar into VCV rack.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Plank Walker posted:

I use the Tortex TIIIs which I think is just a Tortex Jazz III at .73 mm. I love them except that the ink on them runs off onto my fingers within 20 min of playing one. I thought they were maybe counterfeit, but I think that’s just how they are. They’re great once all the ink comes off.

Edit: Also I bought an Ibanez AG75G hollow
body, very excited to practice with something that has a little more resonance when not plugged in.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

TheMightyBoops posted:

I use the Tortex TIIIs which I think is just a Tortex Jazz III at .73 mm. I love them except that the ink on them runs off onto my fingers within 20 min of playing one. I thought they were maybe counterfeit, but I think that’s just how they are. They’re great once all the ink comes off.

body, very excited to practice with something that has a little more resonance when not plugged in.

TIIIs are Tortex sized and shape but with the Jazz III pointy tip. Or at least the ones I got in my mix packs were. I definitely prefer the small size of the Jazz III shape, going back to regular size it's like I'm trying to pluck with a credit card or something.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Plank Walker posted:

TIIIs are Tortex sized and shape but with the Jazz III pointy tip. Or at least the ones I got in my mix packs were. I definitely prefer the small size of the Jazz III shape, going back to regular size it's like I'm trying to pluck with a credit card or something.

I thought they seemed big.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Jazz III carbon for me. I bought like 20 different picks a few months ago and that was the first one I properly tried and it just stuck. Helped that they are also my teacher’s favourite.

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

Max grip jazz iii's are my go to now.

Been using Jazz iii's for 20-something years. Once you get used to it, other picks just don't feel right. The max grip are normal jazz iii's, with a sandpaper texture so it doesn't slip. They rule

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

TheMightyBoops posted:

nice. the result of my hollowbody question was that I thought long and hard about D'Addorio and Gretsch and filtertrons and then saw a AF55 on Craigslist that I was gonna go play today except it snowed

How do you like it? it seems like they're mostly pretty similar, minus the control changes.

Also considering a starcaster still but idk, I love offsets but I'm not sure I'm an offset person

Malaria posted:

Max grip jazz iii's are my go to now

I want to like these but I just cannot strum w/ any of them. I need that fake turtle shell for some reason, it's so obnoxious.

Classic Jazz 3 lovers, also check out the Ernie Ball picks, their version of it is somehow even better

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

JamesKPolk posted:

nice. the result of my hollowbody question was that I thought long and hard about D'Addorio and Gretsch and filtertrons and then saw a AF55 on Craigslist that I was gonna go play today except it snowed

How do you like it? it seems like they're mostly pretty similar, minus the control changes.

Also considering a starcaster still but idk, I love offsets but I'm not sure I'm an offset person

It arrives on the 7th so I’ll let you know then. I also considered the Squier Classic Vibe Starcaster, but I really wanted something that would sound better not plugged in considering I practice without setting up my amp and stuff most non weekend days.

I actually think the unfinished Starcaster looks dope.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Malaria posted:

Been using Jazz iii's for 20-something years. Once you get used to it, other picks just don't feel right. The max grip are normal jazz iii's, with a sandpaper texture so it doesn't slip. They rule

Forgot to mention the carbon ones are Max Grip. So good.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009

TheMightyBoops posted:

It arrives on the 7th so I’ll let you know then. I also considered the Squier Classic Vibe Starcaster, but I really wanted something that would sound better not plugged in considering I practice without setting up my amp and stuff most non weekend days.

I actually think the unfinished Starcaster looks dope.

I picked one up during one of the sales Fender did, and while I'm happy with it, the body is REALLY pale and the neck is overly tinted. I kinda want to throw it in the sun for a while and see if I can get any kind of change in the body color.

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
cool sticker

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I've steered clear of the Katana for a while, but I'm wondering if it might be a solid choice for my infrequent guitar playing. One thing I'd rather avoid is the NEED to connect it to a laptop/etc.

I appreciate that there are a bunch of extra effects/etc. that you can do with Tone Studio (?) but are you able to set them and then disconnect the laptop and forget? i.e. plate reverb, guv'nor overdrive, analogue delay, phaser - and that's it?

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Southern Heel posted:

I've steered clear of the Katana for a while, but I'm wondering if it might be a solid choice for my infrequent guitar playing. One thing I'd rather avoid is the NEED to connect it to a laptop/etc.

I appreciate that there are a bunch of extra effects/etc. that you can do with Tone Studio (?) but are you able to set them and then disconnect the laptop and forget? i.e. plate reverb, guv'nor overdrive, analogue delay, phaser - and that's it?

Yeah, it has a handful of knobs with very general descriptions. It comes with popular stuff set automatically, but if you'd rather the "Mod" knob be a phaser instead of a chorus, you can do that in the app and it'll stay that way after you unplug. Not every knob can be every kind of effect, though. You can't make the "Booster" knob be a reverb; it has a preset list of gain pedals you have to choose among.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Southern Heel posted:

Yeah, pretty much. I can't remember what's all in there off the top of my head, but you can do that for sure. I've only played with the software once or twice in the better part of a year (but I do use a few physical pedals)

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Pretty much. I haven't had mine connected to a computer for a while. I just use the foot switch to go between my presets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Malaria posted:

I was a Jazz III XL fan for a loooong time, but have been preferring the John Petrucci Jazz III lately. It's slightly smaller than the XL and just feels perfect.

By the way, not sure if any of you follow Bradley Hall's antics, but this one was pretty drat good: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tc3DY3Lbo50