Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

The base premise of being put in the caravan and having to eat a grape was definitely, though the exact setup was very different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
I liked how even if you were familiar with the premises of Sabotage and Grape Escape from TMNZ, their implementations in Series 14 felt fresh - there had been some effort made to differentiate them from the original. Empty the bathtub, for example, plays out very much the same in every foreign language version of TM which has done it (which is basically all of them). The task that the UK one paired with Sabotage was one with two really clear points you could sabotage to great effect:

- The decision of which hands to put on which hips (slightly undermined by Munya and Sarah making the same daft decision)
- The critical last minute of the task, where a single false move spelled disaster

If someone reading this thread is producing the next series of Stormester or Bäst i Test, the way to one-up the UK version is to make it incredibly easy to shortcut escaping the caravan, but have plastic grapes and a tin opener on the plinth. The actual key to solving the task should be a mislabelled tin of fruit cocktail, and properly following the trail of clues in the caravan leads you to it.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

Phigs posted:

The base premise of being put in the caravan and having to eat a grape was definitely, though the exact setup was very different.

Yeah, UK took three tasks from NZ this season. The grape task, the milk jug/microwave task, and the sabotage your team task (though just John's part, the actual task he was sabotaging was different).

Of the three, I think the grape one was the only one that didn't quite work. Partially, because of some of the modifications Alex made. In the original, there were no hidden extras to find (as far as we know), and the puzzles and games in the caravan themselves were different and in my opinion more interesting and harder to sequence break. The other thing about the original grape task wasn't that the task itself was the best task, it was pretty much "solve an escape room", but it was just incredibly elevated by the contestant who had the most trouble with it.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Heavy_D posted:

If someone reading this thread is producing the next series of Stormester or Bäst i Test, the way to one-up the UK version is to make it incredibly easy to shortcut escaping the caravan, but have plastic grapes and a tin opener on the plinth. The actual key to solving the task should be a mislabelled tin of fruit cocktail, and properly following the trail of clues in the caravan leads you to it.
"Chickpeas"

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

also "making it incredibly easy" is just removing the line that says you can't climb out the window. Then you get to watch everyone do it. Then you get to watch everyone realize they now have to climb back in.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
Aw man having the window wide open but the plinth just having fake grapes would be so devious.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
A redditor spotted some news that looks like funding for a fourth season of Taskmaster NZ.

https://www.nzonair.govt.nz/news/clean-sweep-for-comedy-in-nz-on-airs-latest-scripted-funding-round/

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

"You'll never know if you can fly unless you take the risk of falling."

Disappointing Pie posted:

A redditor spotted some news that looks like funding for a fourth season of Taskmaster NZ.

https://www.nzonair.govt.nz/news/clean-sweep-for-comedy-in-nz-on-airs-latest-scripted-funding-round/

One of my favorite quotes is at the end when they talk the funding for the projects:

quote:

Taskmaster 4, 10 x 44 mins, Kevin and Co for TVNZ 2 and TVNZ +, up to $882,119.

If you're wondering the cost for a season of Taskmaster, it's roughly US $564,644.37

And when you consider the price of Jeremy's head? That has to be $4.37 of it!

EDIT: just so I don't double post, did anybody see the Quebec edition of Taskmaster?

It looks like fun, even if they are repeating early taskmaster tasks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3NO5HOlJT8

TelevisedInsanity fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Dec 5, 2022

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?

Somebody in the NZ goon discord said they spotted Paul Williams in his tux a couple of weeks ago so it's possible they've already started filming

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
That's just his only suit.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

TelevisedInsanity posted:

One of my favorite quotes is at the end when they talk the funding for the projects:

If you're wondering the cost for a season of Taskmaster, it's roughly US $564,644.37

And when you consider the price of Jeremy's head? That has to be $4.37 of it!

EDIT: just so I don't double post, did anybody see the Quebec edition of Taskmaster?

Just about ~50k per episode, and out of that money you have to pay everyone's salaries and rents and stuff? Seems really low.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Der Kyhe posted:

Just about ~50k per episode, and out of that money you have to pay everyone's salaries and rents and stuff? Seems really low.

I imagine salaries are budgeted separately for channel staff. Maybe people get some bonuses while actively working on a show?

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Paul Williams strikes me as a person who would just wear that suit out and about because it's funny to buy groceries in a white suit.

The wait between NZS2 and them confirming NZS3 was what, a year? Glad we don't have to wait that long this year for confirmation it's continuing. Waiting for them to land a Conchord or Tim Batt.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

TelevisedInsanity posted:

It was OK except for the times when you could hear Christine, which is a lot of the time.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
Is that necessarily the whole budget for the show? I got the impression that these funding announcements were bundles of government grants for local media production, but TM NZ airs on a channel supported by advertising. So it doesn't seem impossible that show costs more, and the channel pays the balance from advertising revenue.

Quickly checking in on Stormester, which is having a very good time in its 6th series. Quite a few tasks from TM S10 showing up, along with a few classics from TM NZ (hidden costume, onions or nothing). But I think it's worth highlighting a few of their original tasks as well:

- Invent a new word. Most useful new word wins
Simple but effective. One of the contestants apparently has prior form in this field, as he was set the task of inventing ten new words instead of just one!

- Make the most horrible sound
An inversion of a classic UK task, and I'm tempted to say an improvement on the original. It had really diverse responses from the cast - there were some effective route-one attempts with polystyrene, chisels and plates, and some more creative interpretations.

- Find out who the person in the video call is, without the caller finding out who you are
This was more about discovering what the person in the video was famous for. Far easier for the extended TM fandom than the contestants, because the caller was the Swedish TM's assistant David Sundin. I would not be surprised if the task will appear in the opposite direction in Swedish TM next series. The caller has been given the names and pictures of the contestants, so they had to disguise themselves somehow (the rules of the task prohibited interfering with the webcam etc.)

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
I liked this season, especially Fern!

When does TN NZ start? - looking forward to it!

Thank you, I just read this!

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Shid news...

https://www.reddit.com/r/taskmaster/comments/zf9cmr/alex_horne_recorded_a_video_for_my_school_and/

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I know there’s probably a very dull reason for that but I really hope it’s because a contestant wrecked it in a task gone awry

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

Holy poo poo Eva Jin in Stormester painting herself into the corner of Eating an Entire loving Pumpkin made me laugh harder than anytime recently I can remember.

Edit: Sebastian's massive burn of Lasse right after was pretty good too.

Victorkm fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Dec 8, 2022

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

It's Thursday! I'm excited to watch Taskmaster after work and...

oh no!

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Pinwiz11 posted:

oh no!

Ma Bebe!

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

Pinwiz11 posted:

oh no!

I HAVE SOME INCREDIBLE NEWS THEN. It's fortuitous that you made this post actually because your username is mentioned somewhere in one of these two fabulous brand new episodes.

I have FINALLY, FINALLY, finished editing my version of Taskmaster. It has escaped into the world, and here it is (part 2 is linked in the description AND in a small window at the end that is my stupid joke at the expense of the official Taskmaster channel):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmhjC9a-25k

I really appreciate everyone that helped me with this, most of the jury members were goons. For a fun idea of how long this has been in the works, check out my post history in this thread. I hope you guys enjoy, I know I had a blast putting this together and I'm proud of how it turned out.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Just in time for page 69, fantastic job.

E: I've already seen a rough cut of one task, but watching the finished thing now, I've got to say, despite some technical hiccups, it's amazing how much you've done with the resources you had. Goes to show the format works even with 'regular' people if other key components are there. I forgot, were all the tasks original or some are from the show?

Paladinus fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Dec 8, 2022

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

Paladinus posted:

E: I've already seen a rough cut of one task, but watching the finished thing now, I've got to say, despite some technical hiccups, it's amazing how much you've done with the resources you had. Goes to show the format works even with 'regular' people if other key components are there. I forgot, were all the tasks original or some are from the show?

All of them are original.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
The ball and rope task was great.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

The ball and rope task was great.

Thanks. Honestly, in advance we knew we wanted a "physical" task but with some options to bend the rules, or to find different ways to do them, like the potato hole task or any of the various "move X to y" tasks on the real show.

Results and behind the scenes spoilers below:
When we tested it, with two different testers, it went exactly the same way. Both of our testers did it in about 6 minutes by grabbing two containers and moving the balls. One went around the pool to not cross the line and the other just crossed the line twice.

I was really worried that that pattern would hold true and make the task go pretty much exactly the same for all five contestants and be boring... but it turns out that things actually went the opposite. I guess being under the time pressure of the actual show and competing with others (as opposed to "hey can you test this task for us") some people just had a unique struggle.

One thing that was really funny to me is that because Coyan (Mr. Slow and Steady) was the first person to do the tasks, when he took 12 minutes I was elated that we got the worst one out of the way right off the bat. My prayers had been answered, he literally took double either of our previous testers because instead of getting an actual container he got those precarious cushion things and balanced the balls in such a way that if he didn't inch forward slightly he would just drop the balls everywhere.

But then... Carter was next and I thought to myself "OH! Now, finally we have someone who didn't even read the task. This is perfect, ESPECIALLY since Coyan called him out!".

But then... Jeff did the same thing generally and I started to get really worried nobody would do it right. Seriously, for being a simple task in practice, it ended up being the most complicated one in terms of how people broke the rules and screwed up.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

Superrodan posted:

I HAVE SOME INCREDIBLE NEWS THEN. It's fortuitous that you made this post actually because your username is mentioned somewhere in one of these two fabulous brand new episodes.

YEAH, I'M THE BEST SOMEONE PUT ME ON PYRAMID :woop::woop::woop:

Great stuff. Seconding the kudos on making everything work with the tech issues, I can't imagine what it was like to realize that you lost that much footage.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

Pinwiz11 posted:

YEAH, I'M THE BEST SOMEONE PUT ME ON PYRAMID :woop::woop::woop:

Great stuff. Seconding the kudos on making everything work with the tech issues, I can't imagine what it was like to realize that you lost that much footage.

It was not fun to deal with, but we had some corrupted files that were still very large like they could contain some info, as well as ideas to un-corrupt them, so the let down wasn't instant. It was like "here's some bad news but not all hope is lost" and by the time I started editing around it and found out all hope was indeed lost, I had already sort of prepared for the worst.

I felt really really bad for Pierce specifically. He was hit hardest by all the technical issues. We lost his audio twice, and his video twice. If it wasn't clear, during the show during the legs task his mic also ran out of batteries. When his audio quality goes to crap it's because we're boosting the sound from Jeff or Katty's instead to hear him.

EDIT: Can I ask how much the lost footage put a damper on the second episode? The first episode is mostly unscathed, just a bit near the end.

Superrodan fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Dec 9, 2022

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

It didn't really damper the second half, you were very clear with everything from the start. It's unfortunate, as it would have been better to get the non-verbal reactions of those two, but it happens.

Actually, it was very weird when the footage was restored, but that was a good surprise. :)

Spek
Jun 15, 2012

Bagel!
The haiku task got as good a laugh out of me as any average Taskmaster episode does. Particularly when the taskmaster got 0 people correct

Your taskmaster totally seems to be channelling Mac from It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia and it really works for the role.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
Oh, I have one other really bizarre question actually.... So at the last minute I added essentially two really weird meta/editing jokes. The first and most prominent was in the first few seconds of part 2, the first line the Taskmaster speaks when we come back from the break is dubbed very poorly on purpose and the callback/explanation to that joke is something like 40 minutes later. Did this make sense once the payoff happened?

And the second weird rear end "Jeremy is editing on the final day and came up with a stupid idea that made him laugh" joke was at the end of Part 1 where I have the weird voice over about subscribing and then cutting myself off and saying to click the link to part 2. Did anyone else get that joke and what I was making fun of at all?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Finished part 2.

I got the second joke, it was a nice touch. But for the first one, I had to go back to see when it was dubbed over. It would have probably worked better if there was a part 3 after that task..

I don't think there are many tasks in the show that require contestants to reference a specific piece of pop culture, so it was interesting to see the LotR task in that context. A surprisingly good refresher on the trilogy, too.

The news report task is one of those tasks where the production team contributes a lot to the final result, and you did great with intros, infographics, stock footage, etc. Really elevated the task.

I also liked how the studio task continued previous house task, huge fan of continuity between tasks in general.

It all came together quite nicely, all contestants had their moments, creative tasks, the Taskmaster was really into his role, and so was the assistant. I kind of wish, even though it would probably not work logistically or financially as a business model, escape room places offered as a service the (legally distinct) Taskmaster experience for groups of friends or corporate events, because it looked like a lot of fun for everyone. Thanks for not keeping the fun all to yourself!

Paladinus fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Dec 9, 2022

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

Paladinus posted:

Finished part 2.

I got the second joke, it was a nice touch. But for the first one, I had to go back to see when it was dubbed over. It would have probably worked better if there was a part 3 after that task..

I don't think there are many tasks in the show that require contestants to reference a specific piece of pop culture, so it was interesting to see the LotR task in that context. A surprisingly good refresher on the trilogy, too.

The news report task is one of those tasks where the production team contributes a lot to the final result, and you did great with intros, infographics, stock footage, etc. Really elevated the task.

I also liked how the studio task continued previous house task, huge fan of continuity between tasks in general.

It all came together quite nicely, all contestants had their moments, creative tasks, the Taskmaster was really into his role, and so was the assistant. I kind of wish, even though it would probably not work logistically or financially as a business model, escape room places offered as a service the (legally distinct) Taskmaster experience for groups of friends or corporate events, because it looked like a lot of fun for everyone. Thanks for not keeping the fun all for yourself!

Thanks for all of the kind words. Some behind the scenes stuff here, as well as additional questions, since I don't know where else to post this kinda thing and this is all so fresh in my head that I'm desperate to talk about it to anybody that cares:

First off, that "part 3" idea.... I think now that you mention it, while we didn't have a part three I could have put it after the return from the live task. Definitely would have given it more context... but then again I really do think the concept that the voiceover dub comes before the reveal was silly in a way that is exactly my sense of humor.

LOTR Task: I made sure all the contestants had seen it at least once, but I forgot to keep in mind that the task might not translate if the viewer hadn't seen it. I would be curious to get the perspective of someone who hadn't. The concept of the three charades mostly stemmed from the easy/medium/hard idea, where I REALLY, really wanted to trick people into doing something they weren't comfortable with for their second charade in hopes that they get the better choice for three, only to be bamboozled when they walked in the third time. It didn't go exactly like I planned, mostly because Carter was the only one that really mentioned the pattern and how there would be a hard one, but he also didn't realize that until after the fact

News: Thank you for calling out the production. I did pretty much everything (with feedback and direction from the contestants of course), and my biggest goal was to keep them feeling as different from one another as possible. I put a lot of effort into tiny things in that section that honestly I probably didn't need to, just a ton of tiny touches that were mostly for me.:

- In Coyan's stock images, like of the Child Advocacy Group I threw some CAG branding in there in various places
- For Jeff when he does a "breaking news" interruption the little Panda Ears have radio waves coming out of them
- For Pierce I didn't know how to mimic the high pitched talking voice thing when his wife is on the phone so I just used an actual sped up AI voice of a woman talking responding to him (so if you slow it down you can understand what she's saying), and photoshopped the Shaggy Chia Pet to have branding from the 80s instead of modern branding that didn't exist at the time. Plus, obviously, all of the look of it was stolen from actual 80s newscasts.
- In Katty's P.U. University Climate Summit stock footage I threw a banner into the background that actually gets obscured by the guy in the foreground talking.
-For Carter I went and found the footage on youtube of the Disney Channel from when Corey in the House was on, and faked some very specific visual artifacts I had seen in real emergency alert interruptions from the same time period
-And my favorite is that for Katty I composed her little weather intro jingle, and I did my best to make it a dramatic re-interpretation of Chocolate Rain.

As for do it yourself Taskmaster, there are books that Alex has released with home tasks. I haven't done any of them myself, the fun for me was coming up with my own things. Taskmaster style escape rooms would be very tricky. The only way I can think of it working off the top of my head is if there are five or so small rooms each with a task in it, and as the contestants finish they rotate to the next, being recorded the entire time. Then everyone watches it back. I think it would be insanely difficult to come up with tasks that work for everyone AND wouldn't be a chore to watch back in full, since there would be no editing time, but it might be a fun experiment.

However, as for your other idea, I could definitely see the corporate thing working. If you haven't seen the one that Greg and Alex did for some TV executives its worth checking out (and was one of my inspirations for thinking that this could work with people who aren't comedians) . It actually has one of my favorite Taskmaster moments of all time in it... and it only works because of the context of who the contestants are.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoWZEg9B-GI

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Your taskmaster looks like jason schwartzman and christian bale had a baby

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

Superrodan posted:

And the second weird rear end "Jeremy is editing on the final day and came up with a stupid idea that made him laugh" joke was at the end of Part 1 where I have the weird voice over about subscribing and then cutting myself off and saying to click the link to part 2. Did anyone else get that joke and what I was making fun of at all?

That got a laugh out of me, it was a great touch.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

Eva gets me rolling every episode, she's not competitive but she's the best. Out of context this might be a bit weird to non-Danes - this is the "Create the best injury using food" task, but by a strange quirk of language the Danish word for injury is also the name for the magpie. Eva is on the verge of making the case for her monstrosity on the left: the task criteria included "most brutal", and her bird is carrying an axe made of cheese.

Two other tasks of note in the episode. They redid the task from UK S4 about coaxing animals to stand on a mat, and this time managed to run the task with chickens for four of the contestants before bird flu struck. The objective was changed to "Get 11 non-human feet on the mat"; the odd number of feet makes it slightly harder than just luring the correct number of creatures over, but also introduces the loophole a couple of contestants use: use the feet of nearby inanimate objects like bathtubs or go-pro cameras.

They also set a fun little task "Find a needle in a haystack". There was a thread attached to the needle the crew had planted, so it wasn't as impossible as it purports to be. But I was surprised nobody went for a workaround in this one - surely the way to go is to plant your own needle in the haystack which you can uncover. Or if you're worried that it will be called out for not being a real discovery, ask Mark to write down something that annoys him about you, then find that "needle" in the stack.

Now to catch up with Superrodan's episode...

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
My daughter had a good out of left field suggestion for the Taskmaster: Kurt Braunohler. In full dismissive bastard mode he'd be genius.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

Like for a second attempt at a US series? Probably more plausible than getting Conan to do it...

Been excited for a while to see the payoff of Superrodan's episode, and the second half didn't disappoint. Seeing the full charades task was a treat, with the intro, reactions and the extra LotR part. I think I would have probably gone with Isildur failing to destroy the ring, that was my first idea. But I did also consider doing Boromir's death and that worked out well for the contestant who opted for that - the 4x speed lends the silly arrows effect a lot of unearned credibility.

Question to tide us over a bit in the downtime: which other "themes" could they do for the set/portrait in future series? I think a good one would be a WWII home front thing, with a "dig for victory"-style poster of Greg, gas masks and air raid sirens to establish the mood. If they really wanted to push the boat out, an Anderson shelter in the garden wouldn't be out of the realms of possibility. Just a shame it would be a large effort to not even end up with a space large enough location to do an entire task in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

Heavy_D posted:

Been excited for a while to see the payoff of Superrodan's episode, and the second half didn't disappoint. Seeing the full charades task was a treat, with the intro, reactions and the extra LotR part. I think I would have probably gone with Isildur failing to destroy the ring, that was my first idea. But I did also consider doing Boromir's death and that worked out well for the contestant who opted for that - the 4x speed lends the silly arrows effect a lot of unearned credibility.

Question to tide us over a bit in the downtime: which other "themes" could they do for the set/portrait in future series? I think a good one would be a WWII home front thing, with a "dig for victory"-style poster of Greg, gas masks and air raid sirens to establish the mood. If they really wanted to push the boat out, an Anderson shelter in the garden wouldn't be out of the realms of possibility. Just a shame it would be a large effort to not even end up with a space large enough location to do an entire task in.

Glad to hear you liked it. I, like Carter, was most surprised that we didn't have three people doing Gollum talking to himself back and forth. That seemed like the easiest idea to do quickly and lend itself well to funny faces. My personal favorite was actually Coyan's You shall not pass.

My girlfriend's idea when I told her the task was to do the scene where Bilbo does a speech and then puts on the ring and disappears. Mostly because if you are moving at 4x speed and if you can very very quickly find a way to exit camera it would be a funny moment where you "disappear".

I think an traditional Japanese scroll art style picture would be interesting, but I'm not sure how they'd decorate the room. I think they could also do a Nagel-esque image and have a bunch of 80s kitsch around. There's also the art of early magic posters like these, but I think it would be a bit too close to the circus theme they just did: