Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Oh God, This Is Still Happening?

:china:

So Summer's family has a magical stalker! And we're going to spend the rest of the life of the strip with him! Hoo...ray?

Mutts

Sally Forth

Peanuts (December 7, 1975)

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire and the Curse of Tangaroa!

Popeye

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1947

Alt

Alt

Alt

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Love this one.

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

I'm quite into this Phantom story.

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

I thought Wanda was Rhonda too. Sorry, Wanda.

Andertoons

Flash Gordon

And I forgot to get Sunday's Apartment 3-G yesterday so here it is.

Murdstone fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Dec 4, 2022

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

Ahaha this is so sick

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Karen Moy is easily one of the best writers on the comics page.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

the face of a woman regretting some life choices

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
2018 Spiderman

1980 comics

Locher Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

I am ok with missing Waterfall Death if it means we're getting this instead.

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

Green Intern posted:

I am ok with missing Waterfall Death if it means we're getting this instead.

One word: Threesome.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

Good Lord, Iris. Run!

Outbursts of Everett True September 20, 1919

And He Did! September 30, 1919

Oaky Doaks February 24, 1937

Mopsy May 18, 1938

Willie and Joe October 23, 1945

Dark Laughter June 23, 1951

So It Seems November 15, 1952

Wee Pals November 17, 1966

Dogbert October 25, 1967

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

Just Dan Again
Dec 16, 2012

Adventure!

Vargo posted:

Breaking Cat News

I lost it at "The children don't stand a chance!"

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

"Our Neighbors Suck, Have We Considered Committing Genocide Against Them?"

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

https://twitter.com/PopeyeTweetsk/status/1599279028346978304

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
It's A Sketchy Life for November 26, 1926, with page after page of vintage radio ribticklers. John Held Jr. cover this week.

G.B. Inwood:

Richard V Cutler (1883-1929) with a Gay Nineties feature I've tended to glide by when it shows up because I've been gravitating towards the more cartoony cartoons, but I've got a suspicion the overly stilted caption is the draw here.

Sanford Tousey:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Nekonaughey

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

The little business rabbit loves to eat the pancakes.

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise: The Hell Makers

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Between international air travel and, well, alcohol, translation is still a bit spotty, but here's Cthulhu and Girl

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
This one was cute :3:

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (January 01, 2001)

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

[url=]:china:[/url]

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 55 minutes!

So this ended up being chauvinist for a completely different reason than I was expecting. Marla's negativity isn't based on Turn Off The Lights having bad press, but on the idea that Spider-Man is somehow a more nerdy or less mainstream brand name than Disney. And I'm going to go on a limb here and say that no, this was blatantly untrue even before the Disney merger made Spider-Man literally another Disney brand.

Julet Esqu posted:

I guess asking her what she'd like to see would be out of the question.

Yeah, this too. As far as I can remember all we know about Val's theatrical preferences is that she really enjoyed Stomp, suggesting that she's a bigger fan of complex technical stuff (Turn Off The Lights) than she is big musical numbers (Wicked) or costuming (Lion King). I'd actually assumed from the outset that Cooper was making an educated guess about what show both of them were most likely to enjoy. Which I probably shouldn't have, because he's Cooper, but Marla being presented as wise here when she's every bit as ignorant as he is just annoyed me.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Solver: The Urn Bump, Grab, Flip, Hurl, Crack

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Forward Slash Scare website for Allison's side comics

John Allison posted:

I know that a lot of situations in Solver are resolved by objects or people being bodily flung into the distance. Let me be clear: this is a feature of the series, not a bug.

Four pages this week as this story wraps up.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 55 minutes!
The Demons of Baseball

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1947

Alt

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Buni

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 12/4/02

Brenda Starr 12/18/49

Smokey Stover 8/12/51

The first panel is a pun on "five and ten cent store," if you were wondering.

Everyday Movies 11/8/35

"No, darling, it isn't a home run we want, that's baseball. This is football, and we want a touchdown."

Bonus Ad! Milnot was apparently evaporated milk with the milk fat removed and replaced with vegetable oil, which sounds terrible. Although it's amusing that there was a radio program called "Shoppin' with the Missus."

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

CommonShore posted:

On UFC last night a thing happened which we hadn't seen before

Which reminded me of a place where I had seen something like that before

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Jul. 03, 1938)

Fun fact: the guy on the losing end of both is Norwegian.

But I went back to the beginning of Vintage Val to read the few from before I started following it, which was I think when Val and Gawain were sent on the false quest which was actually a scheme to ransom Gawain. I can't believe that you only started posting them two years ago! It feels like I've been reading along with them forever, in the best possible way. Thanks for posting it; It's consistently one of my favourite things to read.

Also I love the grotesqueness of Pondus. It's the uncanny flat ones like Intelligent Life which are repulsive to me.

I'm glad you're enjoying it! And that's really cool, I don't have the background to know whether the moves Val pulls sometimes would actually work, but I guess Hal did some homework for that strip.

In more general Vintage Prince Valiant news, I recently got a large format scanner, so strips from now on will be one image! :toot: I have noticed this scanner likes to make colors more saturated so I might have to play with the settings or do some minor post-scan adjusting, but if anyone has any comments on how it looks, now's the time. Also, seeing a strip I posted back in 2020 back when I was making these a little smaller reminds me that I've been using a resolution of 1400 pixels wide, but if anyone has a comment on that I can change that too - I just don't want the files to be huge. I need to get better at getting the strips straight up-and-down on the scanner so I don't give too much to whitespace now that I can do the whole page at once.

Vintage Valiant (Aug. 8, 1954)

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Your scans of Val for the past two years have been making me consider dropping unpleasant amounts of money on the Fantagraphics collections. They're a bit hard to find north of the 49th but I think I might try to track down at least the first decade as a Christmas present to myself.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

manero posted:

Nancy 1947

Alt

drat Sluggo

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Some Guy TT posted:

So this ended up being chauvinist for a completely different reason than I was expecting. Marla's negativity isn't based on Turn Off The Lights having bad press, but on the idea that Spider-Man is somehow a more nerdy or less mainstream brand name than Disney. And I'm going to go on a limb here and say that no, this was blatantly untrue even before the Disney merger made Spider-Man literally another Disney brand.

Yeah, this too. As far as I can remember all we know about Val's theatrical preferences is that she really enjoyed Stomp, suggesting that she's a bigger fan of complex technical stuff (Turn Off The Lights) than she is big musical numbers (Wicked) or costuming (Lion King). I'd actually assumed from the outset that Cooper was making an educated guess about what show both of them were most likely to enjoy. Which I probably shouldn't have, because he's Cooper, but Marla being presented as wise here when she's every bit as ignorant as he is just annoyed me.

i don't know how this ends but i don't think marla is being presented as being completely in the right here

everyone wear hats now
Jul 29, 2010

The Creeps

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

manero posted:

Nancy 1947

Alt

Where is fancy bred, in the heart or in the head?

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool

manero posted:

Nancy 1947

Alt

Is this implying his dad sucks dick..?

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Good Listener posted:

It's implying that his dad is lazy.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Good Listener posted:

Nah, that he enjoys excellent bowel health

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

Alt

The Family Circus

Alt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Kazinsal posted:

Your scans of Val for the past two years have been making me consider dropping unpleasant amounts of money on the Fantagraphics collections. They're a bit hard to find north of the 49th but I think I might try to track down at least the first decade as a Christmas present to myself.

I know a used book store that had them in stock a few months back…