Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

It has been patched out. I won't say "fixed" because I refuse to acknowledge that was a bug :cry:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Ahh drat. The concept of a bunch of dudes getting riled up and wailing on each other because of some rear end in a top hat hiding in a bush shouting insults was great. I like to think that the jester is just really good at mimicking voices.

In other news, I've reached BG2 in my current playthrough and its now turned into a game of "how many npcs can Korgan piss off". So far Aerie ditched the group, Mazzy is on the verge of stabbing Korgan for his lovely come-ons and him and Viconia are basically trying to out-racist each other with stories of how many dwarves/drow they have tortured and killed. Weirdly, Neera is unflappable and of course Yoshimo doesn't give a gently caress.

I managed to alienate Anomen before he even got a chance to speak with Korgan unfortunately. Guess I'll have to sub in Keldorn for some proper lawful/chaotic clashes.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Dec 1, 2022

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
I’ve also just hit BG2, and I’m carrying on with my previous party but with one hole to fill since Khalid died. I’m doing the thievery, and Jaheira is tanking. Edwin is my mage, and Vicci my cleric. I want Korgan too, so who’s my 6th guy? Aside from Jaheira, I haven’t played with any of the others before. My only other run through was good, so iirc I had Anomen, Keldorn, Aerie, Imoen and Yoshimo (can’t remember who the sub was). Should I take Mazzy for ranged dps or Jan for banter, or a third option I should consider?

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Double-posting to say I did Neera's BG2 quest... sort of. There was a surprising amount to do with a slew of sidequests! Half of which I failed without any warning by talking to one person in the main quest.

Pretty annoying - I like choices and consequences but the fail-state trigger is entirely unrelated. With 6 sidequests and a main, of course the player is going to diligently do them all so they can be handed in at the same time.

E:

Torquemada posted:

I’ve also just hit BG2, and I’m carrying on with my previous party but with one hole to fill since Khalid died. I’m doing the thievery, and Jaheira is tanking. Edwin is my mage, and Vicci my cleric. I want Korgan too, so who’s my 6th guy? Aside from Jaheira, I haven’t played with any of the others before. My only other run through was good, so iirc I had Anomen, Keldorn, Aerie, Imoen and Yoshimo (can’t remember who the sub was). Should I take Mazzy for ranged dps or Jan for banter, or a third option I should consider?

Jan is definitely a good choice, it's nice to have a secondary mage on top of him needling the rest of the party. Although you can also take Haer'Dalis for a little more versatility.

I'm a little late, Bike Tory beat me to the punch. Great minds think alike!

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Dec 1, 2022

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Torquemada posted:

Rotate NPCs through the 6th spot so you can do their quests.

If you'd rather just go with one NPC permanently, you've got all your bases covered with those 5 so mechanically it doesn't really matter. More arcane spells are always good in BG2 so Haer'dalis would complement nicely, or Jan.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

In terms of party from BG to BG2 I usually ditch almost everyone from the first game. I might keep Jaheria. But I usually go with mostly new BG2 characters or mod characters

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

bike tory posted:

Rotate NPCs through the 6th spot so you can do their quests.

If you'd rather just go with one NPC permanently, you've got all your bases covered with those 5 so mechanically it doesn't really matter. More arcane spells are always good in BG2 so Haer'dalis would complement nicely, or Jan.

This is generally how I do it.

Are you planning on bringing Imoen in when she becomes available again? If so Jan would be a pretty good long-term interim stand-in until then.

But yeah, with that group pretty much anyone would fit in apart from NPC conflict reasons (which definitely leaves Keldorn out and maybe Aerie).

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

docbeard posted:

Are you planning on bringing Imoen in when she becomes available again?

I’m not, I used her to get out of chapter one, and that’s enough from her. I think Jan it is; Haer’dalis likes Aerie, which says volumes about him.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I think Icewind Dale 2 is... getting way too long. I'm in the magma cavern time loop and about 35 hours in. And I think I have another 15 to go until the end of the game.

Don't get me wrong, the game is great but good lord I thought I was gonna finish it sooner lol.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Torquemada posted:

I’m not, I used her to get out of chapter one, and that’s enough from her. I think Jan it is; Haer’dalis likes Aerie, which says volumes about him.

I think Jan's one of my favorite NPCs in the entire series. There's a real edge behind the usual lolwackyrandom gnome stuff

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013

Fruits of the sea posted:

Ahh drat. The concept of a bunch of dudes getting riled up and wailing on each other because of some rear end in a top hat hiding in a bush shouting insults was great. I like to think that the jester is just really good at mimicking voices.

In other news, I've reached BG2 in my current playthrough and its now turned into a game of "how many npcs can Korgan piss off". So far Aerie ditched the group, Mazzy is on the verge of stabbing Korgan for his lovely come-ons and him and Viconia are basically trying to out-racist each other with stories of how many dwarves/drow they have tortured and killed. Weirdly, Neera is unflappable and of course Yoshimo doesn't give a gently caress.

I managed to alienate Anomen before he even got a chance to speak with Korgan unfortunately. Guess I'll have to sub in Keldorn for some proper lawful/chaotic clashes.

Funnily enough Keldorn and Korgan actually kind of respect each other.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Zeniel posted:

I think Keldorn and Viconia will eventually come to blows though.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

CainsDescendant posted:

Multiple attacks in 3e sucked, since they were all at significantly lower bonuses they essentially never hit against enemies in a level-appropriate encounter

E: this is based on dimly remembered impressions from my college d&d days so it may or may not be entirely accurate

My play died off about this time, so you may be right.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Zeniel posted:

Aerie is the only one who can't be in the same party with Korgan, weirdly enough given that Korgan threatens to gut the party on a regular basis.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Also the part where he reveals that he murdered all his previous party members whenever they got sick or injured.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Torquemada posted:

Haer'dalis makes it really clear he's attracted to her trauma, not to her and she ends up dumping him for it. He's actually a really well written toxic arts boyfriend imo

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
There's only so much depth a nihilist can have.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

docbeard posted:

Are you planning on bringing Imoen in when she becomes available again? If so Jan would be a pretty good long-term interim stand-in until then.

I always went Yoshimo for the swapover. Also bit of extra quest XP.

I do love Jan though.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Suspicious posted:

There's only so much depth a nihilist can have.

BG2 doesn't really allow for it, but a true-believer (hah!) nihilist would be an interesting creature to interact with in an RPG medium. It's been a long time since I've went through PS:T, you can talk someone out of existence by pointing out their belief system is illogical, is there a nihilist in Torment you could either convince to repent, or bludgeon to death with your own severed arm?

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

bike tory posted:

Haer'dalis makes it really clear he's attracted to her trauma, not to her and she ends up dumping him for it. He's actually a really well written toxic arts boyfriend imo

Haer'dalis seems like the type of person who would not have attachments to anyone or anything.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Is there a mod that removes race/class restrictions or is that a hardcoded thing in the game? I downloaded a portrait pack and there aren't any good human portraits so I wanted to make a half elf paladin (yes I know, it's just a cosmetic thing!).

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Vargatron posted:

Is there a mod that removes race/class restrictions or is that a hardcoded thing in the game? I downloaded a portrait pack and there aren't any good human portraits so I wanted to make a half elf paladin (yes I know, it's just a cosmetic thing!).

Yes, you can mod that and more with EE Tweaks

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013

Rappaport posted:

Aerie is the only one who can't be in the same party with Korgan, weirdly enough given that Korgan threatens to gut the party on a regular basis.

Although only in SoA, if you make it to ToB, Aerie's grows a spine and starts throwing insults back at Korgan instead and he's pleased as punch.

Incidentally I love Jan's interactions with the other party members, where they all start out confused by his rambling stories but end up getting more infuriated by him except for Imoen who just plays along and Korgan who thinks his stories are hilarious.

Also I read some of the transcripts of the EE banter and it's all really bad especially when they converse with the original characters. Just ugh.

Zeniel fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Dec 5, 2022

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
I think I’ve made an error. I rushed around Athkatla getting my party together like an rear end in a top hat, and they all have time limit quests that appear to come due around the same time.

How is their ‘time before bailing’ calculated, and is it different for everyone? Specifically Nalia (the keep) Korgan (rob a tomb) and Edwin (the scroll).

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Torquemada posted:

I think I’ve made an error. I rushed around Athkatla getting my party together like an rear end in a top hat, and they all have time limit quests that appear to come due around the same time.

How is their ‘time before bailing’ calculated, and is it different for everyone? Specifically Nalia (the keep) Korgan (rob a tomb) and Edwin (the scroll).

You'd have to look through a walkthrough, but I think all those quests only require you to do the first part and then they won't leave. Like for Nalia I'm pretty sure you just have to go to her castle and talk to a few people outside and she won't leave. You don't have to actually retake the castle, so you can come back to it later.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

IIRC the first stages of Edwin's and Korgan's quests are in the same spot. Doesn't take you long to do, so doing de'Arnise keep afterwards should work nicely.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Korgan's quest takes about 3, 4 hours of in-game time, not counting a rest for spells if you need one, and as pointed out above Edwin's quest's timer thingy is in the same dungeon Korgan's quest starts with, you can probably sort that out and then travel to the de'Arnise keep?

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
the last time I played through, I'd just traveled to the board with the monster Radiant Heart guys when Dorn's timer pinged and gave me the option to either drop him or teleport to his quest location. I did the latter, then traveled back

when I once again had just gotten to the board with the monster RH guys, Jan's timer pinged and gave me [etc].

third time was the charm.

I don't know if everybody else's quests work the same way, though.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Korgan is the only one with a fairly short timer. Edwin and Nalia will eventually leave but it takes a long time. Nalia's quest timer ends if you visit the keep too, you don't actually have to complete it.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Ya thanks all. I was actually in the keep first, so I just hauled rear end to the graveyard and I’m currently neck deep in the undead. Seems like it’s going to be ok.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

If you do overrun a timer it's often possible to prevent it from triggering from the console. Did this for various NPCs in BG1 because I wanted to take my sweet time, especially Coran who I wanted early so Imoen could dual early.

For Korgan, the first answer here shows how to prevent the departure dialog from triggering: https://www.reddit.com/r/baldursgate/comments/fyk6g7/any_way_to_save_korgan_i_fed_up_his_quest/

Not saying this is a good idea in general, just as a means of recovery if you do mess up.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon
Turns out you should not let Edwin leave the party holding the Staff of the Magi lol (it has innate invisibility). Ran around half the world savescumming truesight casts before realizing truesight only effects enemies and then I had to do it with dispel magic. Found him on the stairs inside the copper coronet finally. Pretty funny in retrospect

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Man with Hat posted:

Turns out you should not let Edwin leave the party holding the Staff of the Magi lol (it has innate invisibility). Ran around half the world savescumming truesight casts before realizing truesight only effects enemies and then I had to do it with dispel magic. Found him on the stairs inside the copper coronet finally. Pretty funny in retrospect

That's hilarious.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

He's just the kind of guy who'd love that, too. "Look at those stupid monkeys, prancing about and calling my name. As if I'd respond. Let them think for a change! Yes, yes, soon they will realize how much they miss, nay, how much they long for the company of Edwin Odesseiron, mage supreme!"

Not that it helps anymore, but I think the CC stairs is where he always goes when you dismiss him :unsmith:

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

Rappaport posted:

He's just the kind of guy who'd love that, too. "Look at those stupid monkeys, prancing about and calling my name. As if I'd respond. Let them think for a change! Yes, yes, soon they will realize how much they miss, nay, how much they long for the company of Edwin Odesseiron, mage supreme!"

Not that it helps anymore, but I think the CC stairs is where he always goes when you dismiss him :unsmith:

Haha, so true

I found he goes to CC online but not exactly what part of it. Then, after scouring the tavern with truesight I started thinking he might have been elsewhere, so went back where I left him, which was at Neera's Wild Mage Camp but before it was wrecked, so ran around the wrecked camp with truesight with no luck. Then used Console to warp to the camp before the attack since that's technically a different map and scoured that with truesight.

Then I realized truesight only works on enemies and started over in CC and found him after only six casts of dispel magic!

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
Sorry to take the piss out of you, Man with Hat, but that did make me laugh. Innovative solution on your part, though.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Are Monks viable at all in BG1 or am I just wasting a party slot with Rasaad?

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013

Vargatron posted:

Are Monks viable at all in BG1 or am I just wasting a party slot with Rasaad?

Honestly I found he was able to pull his weight decently enough in BG1, although I did find him to be total deadweight by the end of SoD.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

He's the worst character by far

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Sorry Rasaad, you're getting benched for Branwen!!