Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

4th Stimpire Queen posted:

"Tactical Vehicle Insertion"

Physics still on point.

https://v.redd.it/tustqcrvqi3a1/DASH_1080.mp4

So what BF3 did 9 years ago, except less well I guess

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wo0O-DCQJeo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://i.imgur.com/60o65pk.gifv

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

Popete posted:

CIG give Monocle Cat admin powers and let him cleanse spectrum in an inquisition.

All that passive aggression unleashed into real aggression

the future generations will speak in hushed tones of a cat with a giant hammer silhouetted by light of every color as Spectrum burns in cleansing flame

the ghost story will frighten the children into never stepping out of line and to buy another Idris for safety

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

lobsterminator posted:

Isn't that just a normal map?

He has no idea what he's talking about, the technology behind it, how it has been leveraged long before cig came along, and how it's been part of the tech stack for game development for a long time.

Trying to assume that he knows what he's talking about and how it paints cig as doing something revolutionary is silly.

Sorry that Chris Roberts isn't actually a super genius coder, and cig went with CryTek because they built the original demo for him and were going to build the game itself until CR went off the rails into the impossible.

Sorry that at the end of the day, star citizen is just using a third party engine that was substandard even at the peak of its life cycle.

The Titanic fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Dec 4, 2022

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Sandepande posted:

I have a sneaking suspicion that Cat is the worst mansplainer on the planet.

:lol:

This gave me the worries. It probably actually happens too which is worse.

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018

Odd Wilson posted:

All that passive aggression unleashed into real aggression

the future generations will speak in hushed tones of a cat with a giant hammer silhouetted by light of every color as Spectrum burns in cleansing flame

the ghost story will frighten the children into never stepping out of line and to buy another Idris for safety

Well, probably not every colour so it isn't confused with a rainbow (though backers haven't thought too closely what "spectrum" means).

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018

The Titanic posted:

:lol:

This gave me the worries. It probably actually happens too which is worse.

I can imagine him doing fifteen minute lectures during his munchalot sessions.

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013

Mirificus posted:

quote:

Cloud Imperium does something unusual, not seen in standard game development, they do R&D on features with the intention to include any upgraded features that are the result of that R&D.
[...]
Cloud Imperium dev's told us quite a while ago they are researching RGB bump maps to achieve what hasn't been done before, height maps that can curve using the 3 values, 0 - 255 each, of the Red, Green and Blue scale as well as the greyscale.
[...]
There is no way that Chris could have known if this was coming back in 2014 or even 2015
[...]
This is just one example of how they are pushing the boundaries, there are several other things they are doing that are equally 'out there'.
[...]
It has nothing to do with making money from ship skins, it's about pushing the limits and making the absolute best use of the technology you have available.

If anyone needed further proof he is talking out his rear end, add this to the pile. Everything he says here is anathema to project management and if CIG are really doing this they will never finish the game.

The whole reason for having a target engine is to avoid re-work. You see with the R&D / engine programmers what features are available, what it's reasonable to expect can be optimized to run well based on your timeline, and what the key workflow or requirements will be (how many polygons do you expect to render on screen? Deformations? etc.) so you can brief your art team, level designers, animation team, etc. on what constraints they're working with.

Sure, you might have some targets for your engine that will have to be optimized, perhaps your art style has some constraints for the engine R&D that aren't fully sorted out. But otherwise the engine team is there to optimize how the game runs, work with level designers and artists and audio teams to make sure -their- work shines.

If you don't freeze the engine and let the R&D team pipe their changes straight into the game... Well then you're in deep poo poo.
The engine optimization team have no idea what they're supposed to work on. Improving these new R&D features that aren't used by anything? The things that are causing bottlenecks in performance currently? Issues the artists and animators are raising?
Your artists, level developers and every other person is stuck in an endless loop of re-work. Cool new RGB bump maps? Brilliant. Now every single asset needs to be re-worked so that they have this new feature. Every change to the engine means every asset, every animation, every single thing that has been done in the project has to be re-checked, upgraded as necessary, re-worked if something bugs, or worse.
Even for the R&D team it's actually pretty crap. They're limited so much by the ongoing project that they can't make substantial changes. Why is Vulkan so impossible to implement? Because they can't break everything completely. They've probably spent more than ten times more effort to implement janky and inefficient conversion systems so things continue to work.

All this before the obvious issues that any undocumented features, hacks, work-arounds and such (used knowingly or unknowingly) will break in a million interesting and unknown ways as each team works, re-works and re-re-works each part of the project, and nobody has a clear scope of work (too many polys to draw? Is this a topic for the R&D team to devise a new graphics pipeline / rendering engine? Or for the engine team to improve culling, LoD decisions, perhaps some minor improvements to draw speed or shader order for large assets, maybe some baked lighting or other things can reduce on-the-fly computations? Or should the artists scale back the asset's raw poly counts, make some more agressive LoDs?) .

And keep in mind that each week that goes by your team is losing motivation and the competition's games are looking better.

A normal company would have frozen the scope for SQ42 on a Wing Commander-like game: instanced space battles, cutscenes, a few base areas you can walk around between missions, add in the graphical flourishes that Chris demands like hands moving in the cockpit to match the player's input... Voila.
During this time, develop a separate engine / improve CryEngine for the next game. Make and release the next game. Improve the engine again while this second came is being made. Repeat.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Sandepande posted:

I can imagine him doing fifteen minute lectures during his munchalot sessions.

It went to ew quickly. I'm sure he has nice opinions on vaginas and which pee color is the best color, likely in e-book length.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Shazback posted:

If anyone needed further proof he is talking out his rear end, add this to the pile. Everything he says here is anathema to project management and if CIG are really doing this they will never finish the game.

The whole reason for having a target engine is to avoid re-work. You see with the R&D / engine programmers what features are available, what it's reasonable to expect can be optimized to run well based on your timeline, and what the key workflow or requirements will be (how many polygons do you expect to render on screen? Deformations? etc.) so you can brief your art team, level designers, animation team, etc. on what constraints they're working with.

Sure, you might have some targets for your engine that will have to be optimized, perhaps your art style has some constraints for the engine R&D that aren't fully sorted out. But otherwise the engine team is there to optimize how the game runs, work with level designers and artists and audio teams to make sure -their- work shines.

If you don't freeze the engine and let the R&D team pipe their changes straight into the game... Well then you're in deep poo poo.
The engine optimization team have no idea what they're supposed to work on. Improving these new R&D features that aren't used by anything? The things that are causing bottlenecks in performance currently? Issues the artists and animators are raising?
Your artists, level developers and every other person is stuck in an endless loop of re-work. Cool new RGB bump maps? Brilliant. Now every single asset needs to be re-worked so that they have this new feature. Every change to the engine means every asset, every animation, every single thing that has been done in the project has to be re-checked, upgraded as necessary, re-worked if something bugs, or worse.
Even for the R&D team it's actually pretty crap. They're limited so much by the ongoing project that they can't make substantial changes. Why is Vulkan so impossible to implement? Because they can't break everything completely. They've probably spent more than ten times more effort to implement janky and inefficient conversion systems so things continue to work.

All this before the obvious issues that any undocumented features, hacks, work-arounds and such (used knowingly or unknowingly) will break in a million interesting and unknown ways as each team works, re-works and re-re-works each part of the project, and nobody has a clear scope of work (too many polys to draw? Is this a topic for the R&D team to devise a new graphics pipeline / rendering engine? Or for the engine team to improve culling, LoD decisions, perhaps some minor improvements to draw speed or shader order for large assets, maybe some baked lighting or other things can reduce on-the-fly computations? Or should the artists scale back the asset's raw poly counts, make some more agressive LoDs?) .

And keep in mind that each week that goes by your team is losing motivation and the competition's games are looking better.

A normal company would have frozen the scope for SQ42 on a Wing Commander-like game: instanced space battles, cutscenes, a few base areas you can walk around between missions, add in the graphical flourishes that Chris demands like hands moving in the cockpit to match the player's input... Voila.
During this time, develop a separate engine / improve CryEngine for the next game. Make and release the next game. Improve the engine again while this second came is being made. Repeat.

Yes.

I think at this point though it's safe to assume:

1: for anything legal-related, star citizen is fully released and has been for a long time
2: for anything non-legal, it's in alpha and heavily in development

This basically means that the switch from alpha to "done" is just someone alluding to saying "guess we're done now" or maybe even not even that.

All of the problems you outline cig is suffering neck deep in. Actually making a way to go from A to B is well outside their skill set, and so big things they can do is silly add ons without ever fixing major problems because it is just too hard to do.

One day people will just have to deal with the fact that tier 0 really means "this is the final version, sorry". Your big huge ships may just be jpegs on a webpage and nothing more, but at least you had fun role playing along the way.

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018

The Titanic posted:

It went to ew quickly. I'm sure he has nice opinions on vaginas and which pee color is the best color, likely in e-book length.

At least he'd have nice opinions on something of consequence.

Sandepande fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Dec 4, 2022

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

quote:

You clearly have no idea what DNA is in Star Citizen, or what it means to the future of the game.

quote:

There you go.. you don't know. One of the recurring themes that comes across from detractors who spout argumentative nonsense is that they don't understand how games are normally made, so they can't see the differences between what CI are doing and what the relative advantages are. They then jump to conclusions about what they think is possible and what they think isn't... the FUDster talking points are based upon this constant level of incredulity. They can't see how it could be possible so they have decided it just isn't.

DNA is the system for giving all characters in the game, every player and NPC, a unique appearance complete with asymmetry varying head shapes and body styles with the ability to age over time and have wounds /scars. It also involves how clothes, and rigid body wearables are fit to the characters, not an easy nut to crack! Other games get around this by having a standard sized head and body for the majority of game characters and NPC's that are not hand made story characters. The DNA tech is involved in solving how they can have many characters all animated within the view of a player or even group of players, all with reasonable game download sizes. Ever noticed how in most games there is only ever 1 or 2 characters speaking at a time in live gameplay? Have you any idea how animation retargeting, only possible with DNA, will revolutionise game mocap in the future?

Complex? You think so? Compared to other games yes it bloody well is!

OK.. well.. they've done it. It IS working.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZqndIW6Hxc

quote:

Another take on the old FUDsters mantra of 'Defund Cloud Imperium Games!' to get what we want. The respect this crowd has for this community's intelligence is pitiable.

Please can I have the time back I wasted reading this utter nonsense? You sold me a bill of goods.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
i know people have speculated whether pisscat was a false flag, but there's no way anyone could ever be this much of a boring knob on purpose

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

corn on the cop posted:

i know people have speculated whether pisscat was a false flag, but there's no way anyone could ever be this much of a boring knob on purpose

Yeah but places like Reddit are full of idiot-pedants with a pathological need to right, who type walls of text full of nonsense.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

corn on the cop posted:

there's no way anyone could ever be this much of a boring knob on purpose

You know we have <insert subforum here> right?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

corn on the cop posted:

but there's no way anyone could ever be this much of a boring knob on purpose

turn on your monitor

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

I think Monocle Cat failed the turing test at the end there.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Monocle cat becoming a mod on spectrum is joining my "Roberts announce the switch to UE5" of things that will never happen but would be insanely funny if it did.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Mirificus posted:

Ever noticed how in most games there is only ever 1 or 2 characters speaking at a time in live gameplay?

I assumed that it was because it's super annoying if there are tons of characters speaking over each other. Thank you educating me that it's because the games lack DNA based animation retargeting.

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013
All those NPCs T-posing? That's thanks to DNA tech!

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
Spectrum mods are absent during the weekend and look what happens

when CIG's vaporware reminds you of your mortality :rip:

Monocle Cat posted:

Hey! How are things over at the Frontier Developments long running Star Citizen thread? Going to blow past 120,000 posts soon! There are some real humorists over there!  

We've had 5 patches: 3.17.0, 3.17.1, 3.17.2, 3.17.3 and 3.17.4 - I suppose whether you consider them 'major' has a lot to do with what's in them... let's see shall we:

DNA head Textures update
Colonialism Outpost - Derelicts
Additional Stanton La Grange Points
Derelict Reclaimer Settlement - POI
Derelict Reclaimer Space Missions
Space Station Clinics: Variations
Lorville Hospital: Maria Pure of Heart
AI - Planetary Navigation
AI - Dropships and Reinforcements
Coffee Shop Vendor
Siege of Orison
Jumptown Event
Illegal Delivery Missions
Selling Items To Shops
Ship to Ship Refuelling
Mining Gadgets
Anvil C8R Pisces
Greycat STV
Drake Corsair
Anvil Centurion
Drake Mule
RSI Scorpius
MISC Hull A
Rivers

Plus:
Loot Generation T1
IAE Showroom event - A free-fly and sale..

After 10 years in the development, players can sell stuff to vendors and there is also coffee shop vendor (does it sell coffee?)! Never done before!

commando posted:

Frustration: When will the game be good?

I want CIG to succeed.

Gotta say that, wouldn't post here otherwise. Even the most jaded fans of the game want it to succeed.

However... for me personally, the game succeeds when its good, and the game is very far away from good.

Or more specifically...

The game feels far from good from a gameplay perspective... in my opinion
The game feels like it has enough tech that it should be good, if not now... then soon. There are enough good elements to the game that it shouldn't take too much to make it good.

And those two things together, are a frustrating mix.

Defining good is subjective, and I'm sure I'll get 50 picardpalms with people explaining that its the best game they've ever played in the comments, and if you feel that way then good for you, I do not. I feel that the game is hollow. It has some very positive elements, some key features that it does very well.

But there is no depth to it.

And I worry... that with what CIG is planning, the depth isn't coming anytime soon. Like I'm not really that excited about 3.18, or even 4.0, because I believe that nothing I've seen scheduled to go in by 4.0 will fix the game's core issue... which is that its empty. There is nothing to do. There no endgame, nothing other than an endless, repetitive grind.

And if I were really cynical... I'd wonder if this is by design. If your goals in the game are anything other than grinding to purchase new ships... then why purchase new ships?

But lets set that aside, and assume that's not the real problem. Making the game good has to be good for ship sales right? The most jaded and cynical take is likely not the correct one. CIG likely wants good end game content, it likely wants the game to be more than that endless grind for new ships.

So, since this is a personal post, based on my own opinions, here's what the game needs to be good.

Top tier blockbuster level PVE end game content. The kind of content you might find in a game like Destiny 2 or Warframe. LOTS of this content AND it must be bug free and nearly perfect because in order to compete with other game's... that... is... the... bar. Anything less just won't cut it, no matter how many fancy ships CIG adds. Seamless planetary transitions and ship interiors are - in the long run - not a replacement for high quality content.

OR:

Emergent game content based on interactions between players following the formula taken by multiplayer sandbox games. You acquire resources and items, you store them somewhere, and you must defend them. By defending them, you generate content for other players who attempt to take your belongings.

OR:

A mix of both

Its worth noting that I'm describing theme park and sandbox style content here, and I think that one of these two paths will get Star Citizen to "good" with much less effort than the other (creating high quality PVE content is hard) but that's not what this post is intended to focus on. Back to the topic at hand.

The problem that I see, and the real topic of this post... is that I don't see any of this in the cards in the medium term. I don't see it happening within the next 2 years.
I don't see lots of blockbuster PVE content coming soon.

If this was in the cards, I think we'd see signs of it. The "lots" stipulation kind of guaruntes that this is the case, but lets just... for the sake of argument, lets water this down, and ask "Will there be ANY top tier blockbuster PVE content in the game in the next two years?".

And even this... I think the answer is no. The game is too buggy, to early. Performance is too bad. The AI is too terrible. There is essentially no hope at all that we'll see really impressive content within 2 years IMO. I hope I'm wrong... I do... I didn't spend a lot of money on ships, but am a backer and have invested in this game - since 2016. I hope I'm wrong, but I see no signs of high quality content making it in - in the medium term. VHRTs don't cut it, the missions in the game that I've played... seem terrible. Its like its all placeholder content waiting for something else - which might be the case, there might be very good, very reasonable reasons why the content is so bad, but none of that matters from the perspective of this post.
I don't see multiplayer sandbox content coming soon either.

And with this, I was hopeful I really was. I really thought this might be coming very soon. Persistence is the feature which serves as the foundation for the Sandbox survival game genre. 3.18 is getting persistence. You add 2 and 2 together and you might assume that Star Citizen will be getting survival sandbox style content in the near future.

Except that its not happening, and for the most bizarre of reasons. CIG doesn't want to implement a server selector, so they're just implementing persistence, but they aren't really planning on leveraging it to improve the quality of the game at a fundamental level. Persistence will mean very little to the playerbase for the foreseeable future. The coffee cup trick doesn't really work if you can't get back to your server.

Now there is one loophole here, and that loophole is piracy. Piracy is a mechanic where you must defend resources you've acquired, and by which you generate content for others and they generate content for you.... but I am not sure that piracy can fill a hole of this size. Without some form of base raiding, I don't see it happening, and the fact that piracy is rare and very easy to avoid also leaves me without much hope that it will fill the void in quality content that this game has. This could be a game about piracy, where piracy is a cornerstone mechanic - an alternative to the base raids in Rust.... but a lot of work would have to go into piracy for that to happen. That's not going to happen when freighters can just take a slightly different route to avoid a snare. You'd need active piracy, the kind of piracy that involves tracking down and chasing targets rather than just passively hoping that they're incompetent. That doesn't appear to be on the horizon.
Taken together, I can't shake the feeling that while the game will certainly improve over the next few years... it will remain hollow.

And that's a depressing feeling, because the game - as we all know - has so much promise.

I could end this post here, and it would be complete, but there is one other thing I want to mention. One other issue I want to bring up.

And its that I lack faith in what I think that CIG actually plans on doing.
Star Citizen the simulation

This is what people like to tell me the game is, what its going to be. This is what people like to point out when they don't like my posts and want to correct me. I don't understand the game, because Star Citizen is a simulation.

What does that even mean?

I mean, EVERY game is a simulation. Metal gear simulates military bases and asks the player to crawl through them. Red Dead Redemption 2 simulates the old west. Dwarf Fortress simulates every drat thing to a degree that I imagine Star Citizen will never manage to match.

Just being a simulation doesn't mean that the game's concept is good, and it doesn't really bring anything new to the table by itself.

I couldn't care less that Star Citizen is intended to be a "simulation". I don't care about the degree to which NPCs are modeled. I don't see how that improves the game experience for me. Now maybe I lack imagination and vision, or maybe I've just been exposed to many different games and so have a more realistic understanding that saying Star Citizen is going to be a simulation means little. Oblivion was a simulation, look up "Goblin Wars" and "Radiant AI". The game was simulated to a degree that almost no one understands - BECAUSE IT HAD ESSENTIALLY NO EFFECT ON THE PLAYER.

And that's the problem with games that attempt to be in depth simulations. The vast majority of what's simulated is going to be completely meaningless, its going to have no impact whatsoever on the player. If you steal a goblin staff in Oblivion, and start a goblin war... but don't realize that it even happened, and don't see the war occur, then what's the purpose of it?

It was a waste of developer time to have implemented it.

People tote out the word "simuation" like its religion. You don't understand they say... Star Citizen will be amazing because its a simulated universe. Sigh...

What matters is the player experience, and if the "simulation" doesn't directly impact and significantly improve the player experience, then it wasn't worth building in the first place.

I -sadly- don't see the player experience undergoing the kind of transformation that would make it competitive with other games within two years. I wish I did.

If you think I'm mistaken, and have a more positive take on Star Citizen's viability over the next few years, I'd love to hear it.

the best community posted:

Dude, you could have just typed:
"Testing game systems during numerous consecutive development cycles isn't supplying me with sufficient amounts of dopamine!"
and saved us all a whole lot of time.

4th Stimpire Queen
May 4, 2022

Contemplate with nice thoughts and utterances.
"Star Citizen is a prototype, prototypes have no deadlines so nothing is wrong after a decade" says famous Spectrum citizen.

Except they're using someone else's money, taken said money for a game not a prototype, gave several release dates, sell the prototype for money, have a store and subscription in said prototype and create adverts making it seem like a finished game. But yeah, apart from that there's nothing wrong.

And no, without deluded people giving them basically infinite money they'd not have taken the same time as CR himself admitted investors and publishers laughed at him when he tried pitchin SC back then.

Anyway, hope to see OP copypaste this again on the 20th year anniversary of the prototype to dispel more faulty presuppositions

4th Stimpire Queen fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Dec 5, 2022

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Every end of year or so I compare my own progress to that of star citizen as a sort of gratitude exercise. So SC is at least useful for that

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

Lord Stimperor posted:

Every end of year or so I compare my own progress to that of star citizen as a sort of gratitude exercise. So SC is at least useful for that

Star Citizen is absolutely the gold standard yardstick by which everyone should measure failure.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

New coworker started this week and he knew someone from his previous job who had 5k+ into ships and poo poo.

We all had a good laugh about it. Never met an actual star citizen in person yet, that I know about.

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

Mirificus posted:

Monocle Cat posted:

You clearly have no idea what DNA is in Star Citizen, or what it means to the future of the game.
Indeed, dear Monocle Cat, I have no idea. Whereas I am quite curious about DNA in this mundane biological world I inhabit, I have no need to know about its presumed parallel in the legally finished but practically concept demo game of Star Citizen. Were I to play a game that simulates procreation, I might want to know. But "having babies" is not on the list of https://robertsspaceindustries.com/funding-goals.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

quote:

of the Red, Green and Blue scale as well as the greyscale.

Anyone who can say this has no business talking about graphics.

(It's not /as well as/, you get grey by mixing equal levels of RGB. This is computer graphics or even web design 101)

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
It's kind of a reflection of the current (:sad:) state of the game that this thread keeps mining the pisscat in order to have anything to talk about.

And I'm not saying that as an indictment of the thread God knows there is nothing interesting happening in SCland

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018
The main characters have (wisely) retreated from spotlight and have been warned/advised to shut up.

Backers can handle things on their own now, they've been taught well.

HexiDave
Mar 20, 2009

feedmegin posted:

Anyone who can say this has no business talking about graphics.

(It's not /as well as/, you get grey by mixing equal levels of RGB. This is computer graphics or even web design 101)

Presumably he's talking about the alpha channel in the image file. It's common to have RGBA (or some order of that) in game image formats to do diffuse color and transparency, but when you also have normal (surface normal, aka bump) maps you use R,G,B to refer to the surface vector (basically the angle), so you could repurpose the alpha channel for something else. There's a ton of random things you can do with the different color channels, but these days there are much more powerful tools to build additional details than trying to cram them into 256 values in a heavily compressed image.

Graphics programming is all about cheating to build a visual presentation with as few resources as possible, so using special hacks and tricks to get more details using math and image formats is "the job". However, the idea that CIG is going to revolutionize graphics development by tweaking a few texture channels in a shader is uhhhhh interesting.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

We here at CIG are making tech no one else makes not because it is easy, but because we are dumb.

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

4th Stimpire Queen posted:

:mods: The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Video Games > Star Citizen: the Norte Dame of video games. :mods:

:mods: The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Video Games > Star Citizen: like a cathedral it will take way more time than you think. :mods:

:mods: The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Video Games > Star Citizen: this game could truly be in development for the next 20 years. :mods:

(and wtf is Norte Dame?)

182 years.

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018
Seems optimistic. Also SC is constantly on fire.

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013

HexiDave posted:

However, the idea that CIG is going to revolutionize graphics development by tweaking a few texture channels in a shader is uhhhhh interesting.

Just wait until you hear about how they are going to put eight times more data into each bit.

(Or did I hallucinate that fever dream of a post?)

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Sandweed posted:

Monocle cat becoming a mod on spectrum is joining my "Roberts announce the switch to UE5" of things that will never happen but would be insanely funny if it did.

As a person who doesn't understand game development, let me tell you how you don't understand game development...

<200 pages later>

And to finalize, because I worked myself up so much in my response to you... you're also banned. Good bye, disbelieving fudster!

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
<200 more pages of justification for the ban>

And don't come back. Believers only.

chadbear
Jan 15, 2020

So Chris really showed up for the Berlin bar citizen. And he did a Q&A that someone livestreamed! Sadly the livestream is behind a paywall (and I'm not paying 4 bucks for a SC streamer).

https://twitch.tv/videos/1669239195

The same guy has a short video about the Q&A on youtube (timestamp). It's in German but the auto-translated English subtitles work well enough if you want to check them out. I'm paraphrasing this guy's summary of the Q&A below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8A-Y57BzY7M&t=96s

Q: What's the state of the refinery gameplay and the Expanse ship?
A: They are working on the resource network, which manages all the in-game economy's resources, how they are used and transformed into goods. Salvage ties into this because it flows back into the economy. It's in active development and as soon as they reach important milestones (lol) they'll gradually integrate it into the game (read never) and also ships like the Expanse or modules for other ships. Star Citizen will feature a closed-loop economy just like Tony Zzzzz promised!

Q: When are dynamic hitboxes coming?
A: Dynamic hitboxes for player models are in game but not used because assets are missing (lmao). The goal is that wearing different armor gives you different hitboxes (???) which means that you cannot wear heavy armor while flying your chariot. But it's not that bad because the inventory system is really clunky right now so it wouldn't be fun to change your clothes all the time. So we'll stick with non-dynamic hitbox for now (forever) but the new setup will come and then the drop ships will be very important.

Q: Will there be IAE pants?
A: Chris gave a super detailed answer about this (of course). The character art teams that deal with clothing are very small (sounds like a clogged pipeline to me) so they simply cannot generate a large amount of clothes and items. It's very difficult to hire these experts! But they plan to hire a lot of new people to make new pants.

Q: Can you watch youtube while in quantum travel?
A: There are big changes coming to quantum travel. You'll have to steer yourself, at least over short distances, so you won't be able to watch anything while travelling (no watching the latest cringe of Jax McWhatshisface). On longer trips you can do virtual Arena Commander or Star Marine (no mention of Theatres of War lmao) matches. Furthermore there are plans for more things to happen during quantum travel. You'll receive signals or get attacked by pirates. (how does this square with virtual Arena Commander matches I don't know).

Q: How is modularity coming along in the future?
A: CIG has made technological breakthroughs (no more winning please) which allow modularity to be integrated much easier than before (wait was there every ship modularity apart from sticking a gun to your ship?). It's connected to the new power gameplay mechanic. All (!?) ships will receive modularity but that will require reworks (back to the drawing board for all ships another ten years!).

Q: Are Vanduul space ships coming to Star Citizen?
A: All Vanduul ships that play a role in Squadron 42 will show up in Star Citizen too. All those ships have been reworked for Squadron 42 but will probably come to Star Citizen only after the release of Squadron 42 (Chris is protecting us from spoilers I guess)

Q: What does Server Meshing/Persistent Entity Streaming entail?
A: With patch 3.18 will get a new graph database which prepares server meshing to come with patch 4.0. The universe will be on shards on separate servers. These servers will be merged by server meshing, and eventually all the servers will be one huge server mesh. You won't notice changing servers and every spaceship can be its own server. (so just the usual server meshing dreams.txt)

Q: Will you be able to transfer ships that you bought with real money to other players?
A: They are discussing it internally because of customer support and legal issues, but it's not planned for the time being. You can do that with ships you bought in game though. Furthermore as a ship owner you can use an admin UI which lets you assign roles, so you can give the captain role to another player.

Q: Will there be more options for the character editor?
A: Yes, you can be an overweight space trucker. There will be a better character editor!

It's disappointing but it's the closest we get to a 10 for the chairman these days I guess

marumaru
May 20, 2013

i legitimately thought that by this point chris had quietly gone hands-off

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

HexiDave posted:

Presumably he's talking about the alpha channel in the image file. It's common to have RGBA (or some order of that) in game image formats to do diffuse color and transparency, but when you also have normal (surface normal, aka bump) maps you use R,G,B to refer to the surface vector (basically the angle), so you could repurpose the alpha channel for something else. There's a ton of random things you can do with the different color channels, but these days there are much more powerful tools to build additional details than trying to cram them into 256 values in a heavily compressed image.

Graphics programming is all about cheating to build a visual presentation with as few resources as possible, so using special hacks and tricks to get more details using math and image formats is "the job". However, the idea that CIG is going to revolutionize graphics development by tweaking a few texture channels in a shader is uhhhhh interesting.

Yus.

And it's not just silly, it's kind of dumb.

People have done so many wild and crazy things with shaders, new shaders are just more new shaders but nothing is ground breaking there.

I'd think something like Unreals Nanite technology is ground breaking. And I'd say for tools Substance Painter and Designer were great for making PBR and shader stuff more accessible to the general art population.

Those tools also have ways to bake in your different channels into a single image too so you can maximize rgba size for one image file.

Graphically I think the only area cig is "revolutionizing" is the ability to just flat out ignore graphical boundaries that most games do to make sure a scene loads well and properly, and maintains a certain rendering speed.

I'd also err on the side of saying that's done more out of sheer ignorance than trying to push some new technology, like doing lots of creative thinking and math to make some heavy lift scene work well on something like the Switch.

They are effectively building every asset in a vacuum, and there is no level design team arranging the assets and giving them adequate LODs to function speedily where they are deployed at. It's just the high detail, high texture resolution models used everywhere and to hell with performance.

It's an ignorant, brute force solution where they are hoping computers and graphics cards will hopefully be able to compensate for their blundering. Not done with design in mind, but done because they don't know any better.

Not knowing any better does not mean pushing any kind of envelope for "future technology" of any sort. It's just dumb and will inevitably cause a myriad of problems... many of which people deal with non-stop on a daily basis while other people scream at them "you don't understand game development!" And "Star citizen is beyond todays technology because Chris is just that good!"

But no... it's not because he's that good. It's the opposite. And fixing it would take another decade or so to do... basically a rebuild from scratch. Good luck. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

chadbear posted:

It's disappointing but it's the closest we get to a 10 for the chairman these days I guess

It's funny you made that connection because that's actually what I was going to say too.

Basically the great things Chris and team had to bring to Germany was more promises and dreams and in-progress ideas for future things which will 100% come true. And of course stuff that's already totally in the game but disabled because reasons.

Congrats cig on your vacation to Germany to deliver a live version of 10 for the Chairman to your German backers. I hope they feel blessed that they got to have promises of a great and amazing future! <3