Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/microsoft-kb5020044-makes-task-manager-partially-unreadable/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

Its supposed to look like this in dark mode:

I see a post every once in a while where Windows fucks up and they get a weird amalgamation of dark and light mode

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

lol, great

Dark mode windows + light mode apps is how I like it because I enjoy having a dark taskbar but I want most of my apps to be in light mode still. For whatever reason, having the light mode taskbar on the bottom makes it seem way too bright even though it's no brighter than the rest of the screen.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Combat Pretzel posted:

:toot:

(loving finally, because that's one habit I can't get rid of.)

It's about time, and pitiful that the taskbar and Start menu weren't shipped like this on the initial Windows 11 release. Drag and drop missing especially was egregious.

Theme chat: is there a setting anywhere in 11 to schedule dark mode to kick in on sunset or a specified time?

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
Why the gently caress are there preview updates

We are the beta testers now

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
These ship now outside the Release Preview ring?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

no, i think those updates are still just for people who opt into the preview program, which has been a thing for a long time.

I opted into it a while ago and I've been trying to opt back out for months now, but microsoft won't let me out. they say you'll be phased out of the preview program after the next major update when you choose to opt out, but 22H2 came and passed and I'm still in it. i feel like my only recourse is to reinstall windows at this point

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Dec 3, 2022

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

WattsvilleBlues posted:

It's about time, and pitiful that the taskbar and Start menu weren't shipped like this on the initial Windows 11 release. Drag and drop missing especially was egregious.

Theme chat: is there a setting anywhere in 11 to schedule dark mode to kick in on sunset or a specified time?

Auto Dark Mode’s beta release has been OK (up until recently): https://apps.microsoft.com/store/detail/auto-dark-mode/XP8JK4HZBVF435

Unfortunately, it’s started doing what has been shared here with imperfect transitions between the two. Not every time, but sometimes. I’m curious if anyone else has suggestions too.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

nitsuga posted:

Auto Dark Mode’s beta release has been OK (up until recently): https://apps.microsoft.com/store/detail/auto-dark-mode/XP8JK4HZBVF435

Unfortunately, it’s started doing what has been shared here with imperfect transitions between the two. Not every time, but sometimes. I’m curious if anyone else has suggestions too.

Why the hell is it an app and not a setting? The bloody Xbox has it!

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
Quick question from someone migrating from an 8.1 laptop to an 11 laptop as of a few days ago and Googling is getting different problems:

On 8.1, I have File Explorer pinned to taskbar, and I can right click it to reveal a list of specific folders I also pinned. Is this still in 11, been overcomplicated, or did I just forget to try? :sweatdrop:

I'll also be finding ways of hiding the Notepad app and reviving the notepad.exe somehow (maybe calculator too, we'll see) and getting Microsoft Photo Viewer back by downloading the WebP codec later but we'll see how we go.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Szmitten posted:

On 8.1, I have File Explorer pinned to taskbar, and I can right click it to reveal a list of specific folders I also pinned. Is this still in 11, been overcomplicated, or did I just forget to try? :sweatdrop:

In the necessary folder click thee dots in the ribbon and click pin to quick access.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Why the hell is it an app and not a setting? The bloody Xbox has it!

There's no setting so the guy wrote an app to do it instead.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Szmitten posted:

I'll also be finding ways of hiding the Notepad app and reviving the notepad.exe somehow (maybe calculator too, we'll see) and getting Microsoft Photo Viewer back by downloading the WebP codec later but we'll see how we go.

And why are you doing this?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Yeah, notebad.exe sucks and so does the windows photo viewer.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

MikusR posted:

In the necessary folder click thee dots in the ribbon and click pin to quick access.

Thanks, I'll check it when I'm on it.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

redeyes posted:

I like them :(

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Szmitten posted:

Thanks, I'll check it when I'm on it.

I like them :(

Well ok. There are a ton of notepad.exe style programs out there, even with a few features! Notepad++ is decent and free. Irfanview is a long favorite image opener and there are others like FastStone and XnView.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
The Photos app shipping with Windows finally stopped scaling the pictures you were looking at by the HiDPI scaling factor you might have had set, if you were using 4K monitors and such. Dear god, it annoyed me for years that "View actual size" would scale up the image and make it blurry, especially with technical drawing and other things with fine detail.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Combat Pretzel posted:

The Photos app shipping with Windows finally stopped scaling the pictures you were looking at by the HiDPI scaling factor you might have had set, if you were using 4K monitors and such. Dear god, it annoyed me for years that "View actual size" would scale up the image and make it blurry, especially with technical drawing and other things with fine detail.

I did notice that too. For awhile I actually thought my phone camera was broken. These kind of bugs should not exist.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

redeyes posted:

Uh because all the web tutorials say to use notepad to edit HOSTS, duh

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

I just flattened and reinstalled 11 and suddenly its asking me if I want to boot 11 or 10 every time, which it didn’t before. When I upgraded from 10 to 11 in the first place I deleted Windows.old. If I open sysconfig it says 11 is installed in C:/windows and 10 is in just /windows. I do have a second HD with a recovery partition and efi system partition but I don’t think I’ve ever had an OS installed on it?

edit: if I select 10 it just fails and says it needs to be repaired. dumb

Super No Vacancy fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Dec 3, 2022

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
Notepad.exe a very good solution to a totally no-nonsense, featureless pure text editing experience. They're are times and places where that is super useful and any general purpose OS should have something like it.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Super No Vacancy posted:

I just flattened and reinstalled 11 and suddenly its asking me if I want to boot 11 or 10 every time, which it didn’t before. When I upgraded from 10 to 11 in the first place I deleted Windows.old. If I open sysconfig it says 11 is installed in C:/windows and 10 is in just /windows. I do have a second HD with a recovery partition and efi system partition but I don’t think I’ve ever had an OS installed on it?

edit: if I select 10 it just fails and says it needs to be repaired. dumb

I've had similar issues in the past. I used EasyBCD to fix the Windows bootloader and it's been fine since. For whatever reason I've never had the issue come up in GRUB - the Windows bootloader is really dumb by way of comparison.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Notepad.exe a very good solution to a totally no-nonsense, featureless pure text editing experience. They're are times and places where that is super useful and any general purpose OS should have something like it.

Obviously Notepad++ and Sublime Text are better for a multitude of reasons but the basic functionality is useful and I don't know why they'd deprecate it or hide it away in their awful store.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Obviously Notepad++ and Sublime Text are better for a multitude of reasons but the basic functionality is useful and I don't know why they'd deprecate it or hide it away in their awful store.

I have and use NP++, but for quick notes I hit a preloaded media key on my (ps/2) keyboard and it pops open MS Notepad no matter what I’m wanting to c/p or remind myself of. Small footprint as well.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Notepad.exe fans GO.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I use it a lot to strip formatting

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

redeyes posted:

Notepad.exe fans GO.

Black Notepad is cooler and fits my theme better.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
I disabled the new Notepad because it has a propensity to crash randomly.

The old Notepad might be blindingly bright in a dark mode desktop, but at least it won't lose data.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

biznatchio posted:

I disabled the new Notepad because it has a propensity to crash randomly.

The old Notepad might be blindingly bright in a dark mode desktop, but at least it won't lose data.

Are you on windows 11 because I had random crashing and programs closing all over the place.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

redeyes posted:

Are you on windows 11 because I had random crashing and programs closing all over the place.

What the hell programs? I haven't had anything crash consistently (anything can crash once in a while, of course).

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

hooah posted:

What the hell programs? I haven't had anything crash consistently (anything can crash once in a while, of course).

Yeah, I mean random stuff! 22H2 nuked a few of my computers. All are running Intel 12th and 13th gen though. Also when I say crashing I mean just poof program goes away, no crash message.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

redeyes posted:

Yeah, I mean random stuff! 22H2 nuked a few of my computers. All are running Intel 12th and 13th gen though. Also when I say crashing I mean just poof program goes away, no crash message.

Ah, I haven't received the 22H2 update yet. The only program that just closes itself sometimes is Phone Link, but it just closes the window; it's still in the tray. I attribute that more to UWP shittiness than Windows itself.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

redeyes posted:

Yes. I don't see random crashing and programs closing in traditional Win32 apps on Windows 11; and I don't run a lot of 'modern' stuff outside of what ships with the OS so I don't run any of it enough to see if it also has crashing problems -- but Notepad crashing is a headache I simply can't excuse. I've used Windows for 30 years and never had Notepad crash before Windows 11 outside of, say, trying to open enormous files with it.

And yeah, as mentioned, it doesn't even have the decency to tell you that it just crashed and lost your data; the window just disappears and a new, empty Notepad opens a moment later.

If I wasn't on an Alder Lake CPU, I wouldn't be using this pile of garbage OS.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Windows 11 22H2 fixed the issue my laptop was having where it was telling me I didn't have the necessary security hardware (yes, I do), so who can say if it's good or bad?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Truly, a land of contrasts

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

biznatchio posted:

And yeah, as mentioned, it doesn't even have the decency to tell you that it just crashed and lost your data; the window just disappears and a new, empty Notepad opens a moment later.

That behavior looks like what happens when a store app updates.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly

biznatchio posted:

Yes. I don't see random crashing and programs closing in traditional Win32 apps on Windows 11; and I don't run a lot of 'modern' stuff outside of what ships with the OS so I don't run any of it enough to see if it also has crashing problems -- but Notepad crashing is a headache I simply can't excuse. I've used Windows for 30 years and never had Notepad crash before Windows 11 outside of, say, trying to open enormous files with it.

If I wasn't on an Alder Lake CPU, I wouldn't be using this pile of garbage OS.

Are you on 22H2? Have you tried a clean install from an installation media (like a USB flash drive)? I just did this after having some stability problems and it seems to have cleared things up. Clean install with total drive reformat -> install LAN/Chipset/Audio drivers -> windows update is my panacea.

WonkyBob
Jan 1, 2013

Holy shit, you own a skirt?!
Any recommended methods for transferring a Win 10 user profile to a Win 11 machine?

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
Why would you need to?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
lovely programs that are fussy about reinstalling/reusing a license key or just a hassle to get all settings exactly right again?
Because if someone has a bulletproof solution to that where you can otherwise do a fresh install I'd love to hear it.