Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

NZAmoeba posted:

Hi thread! I have a question regarding 100 year old wiring!

I currently have this outlet, which is the only 2-prong outlet in the house

I had an electrician doing some other work, who said I could replace that with a 3 prong as long as I got a gfci model.

Having bought one and opening the socket up, I found the wiring is of a different type to what my new socket expects, this is a screw down type.

I'm also not sure if this is a live and neutral combination, or a single core wire line/load set-up?

For reference, the existing socket had the wires connect at opposite sides, diagonal to each other.

What model of socket should I be looking for so I don't go and buy the wrong thing? Is it even wise to try and get a 3 prong outlet here?

Is that knob and tube?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

devicenull posted:

Is that knob and tube?

Sure looks like it. The solution to that outlet is to cap the wires and stop using it, and ideally find where it's spliced into the modern wiring and disconnect it entirely (and then pull new romex to it if you need a receptacle there.)

newts
Oct 10, 2012
I have a (probably) very dumb question.

I’m trying to re-wire an antique light fixture to replace one in our ceiling. It had been previously wired, but the wiring was in bad shape. I bought some lamp wire to replace what was there. The guy at the hardware store told me to buy the 14 gauge wire. But I can’t get it to fit through the nipple (standard size nipple, I guess). It looks about the same as the old wire. Is there a solution for this? I can’t really run the wire anywhere else.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
A lot of modern lamp wire has thicker insulation to make the wire look heavier-duty, so you might be better off with some individual pieces of thhn stranded wire-- the stuff on rolls at the hardware store sold by the foot. That insulation will be thinner for the same gauge, and that type of insulation is slicker so it'll slide through things more easily.

newts
Oct 10, 2012

Qwijib0 posted:

A lot of modern lamp wire has thicker insulation to make the wire look heavier-duty, so you might be better off with some individual pieces of thhn stranded wire-- the stuff on rolls at the hardware store sold by the foot. That insulation will be thinner for the same gauge, and that type of insulation is slicker so it'll slide through things more easily.

Thank you!

The wire I bought was off one of those spools. Would using a higher gauge wire be dangerous or inappropriate? The fixture will run 3 6-watt LEDs.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

newts posted:

Thank you!

The wire I bought was off one of those spools. Would using a higher gauge wire be dangerous or inappropriate? The fixture will run 3 6-watt LEDs.

to prevent something dumb in the future even if you're putting LEDs in, the wire should be able to handle incandescents in the sockets safely. That being said, unless this is a crazy chandelier, you'll be fine with 16 gauge, which is good for 10A continuous, or 16 60W bulbs.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

corgski posted:

Sure looks like it. The solution to that outlet is to cap the wires and stop using it, and ideally find where it's spliced into the modern wiring and disconnect it entirely (and then pull new romex to it if you need a receptacle there.)
What leads you to believe that? It just looks like cloth covered wire in conduit to me. Which, yeah, not ideal, but I'm not used to seeing that treated as an instant nope (though to be fair, removing every inch of it was one of the first things I did on my first house).

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Slugworth posted:

What leads you to believe that? It just looks like cloth covered wire in conduit to me.

There aren't many places where this was a thing. If I saw that around here I could be 100% assured it's knob and tube.

newts
Oct 10, 2012

Qwijib0 posted:

to prevent something dumb in the future even if you're putting LEDs in, the wire should be able to handle incandescents in the sockets safely. That being said, unless this is a crazy chandelier, you'll be fine with 16 gauge, which is good for 10A continuous, or 16 60W bulbs.

Thank you! That helps a lot.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

Motronic posted:

There aren't many places where this was a thing. If I saw that around here I could be 100% assured it's knob and tube.

Lots of houses around here have cloth wrapped without knob an tube (or installation of both with and without). Must be a regional/timeframe thing I guess.

Edit: That said, even without knob and tube that stuff can be scary to work with if you're inexperienced (like me) because the sheathing and insulation (if there is any insulation) is so fragile.

Danhenge fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Dec 5, 2022

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Danhenge posted:

Lots of houses around here have cloth wrapped without knob an tube (or installation of both with and without). Must be a regional/timeframe thing I guess.

Around here you'll find a lot of duraflex NM (cloth wrapped wires in a cloth jacket, the predecessor of romex) which is what it sounds like you're talking about. That's not what's in that picture. Those are individual wires and what I was responding to was the "in conduit" part of that post. Cloth wire in conduit is really, really not a thing unless you're play fast and loose with terminology and talking about BX which is vanishingly unlikely to be in walls around here. Perhaps that was a thing elsewhere.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

Motronic posted:

Around here you'll find a lot of duraflex NM (cloth wrapped wires in a cloth jacket, the predecessor of romex) which is what it sounds like you're talking about. That's not what's in that picture. Those are individual wires and what I was responding to was the "in conduit" part of that post. Cloth wire in conduit is really, really not a thing unless you're play fast and loose with terminology and talking about BX which is vanishingly unlikely to be in walls around here. Perhaps that was a thing elsewhere.

Oh, yeah, I think I see what you're talking about. The hot and neutral have separate sheathing, right?

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

Slugworth posted:

Why didn't you just have the electrician do it while he was there, out of curiosity? You're asking questions that are a bit concerning for someone doing electric work - Everyone starts from scratch, and that's fine, but it's best to have a good base understanding before opening up an outlet.

He didn't have any on him at the time, and I've been doing a bunch of light replacements already, figured I'd take on the next level work. I know some things, but I suck at knowing the proper terms for things.

Slugworth posted:

So, for starters, you don't have the wrong type of wire for your outlet, wire is wire. It's just a matter of whether you choose to loop it and put it on the screw posts vs leaving it straight and using the backstab on the outlet. You should always loop it and screw it down, because backstabs are kind of garbage. They're UL approved, code approved, lazy professionals use them, but they're kind of garbage. So if the outlet you bought doesn't have screw posts, get one that does.

My unit does have screw posts, but via some black magic, the screw doesn't come out, it'll just loosen and then retighten. But as my wire ends are solid loops, I have no way to get it under the screw. The screws on the older socket can be removed entirely, allowing me to thread it through the wire loop and then screw down nice and secure. This is where my roadblock is.

Slugworth posted:

Go grab a non contact voltage detector. I'm assuming you shut off the power to pull everything apart, if not, do so. With it all taken apart (like shown in your photo), turn the power back on and use the voltage detector to verify which wire is hot and which isn't. White should be neutral, black should be hot, but the guy before you could have been an idiot, so verify. Then go shut the power off again. Wire the hot to the brass screw labeled line, and the neutral wire to the silver screw labeled line. The old outlet being hooked up diagonally as you saw isn't an issue with a non GFCI outlet, but your GFCI won't function if you do the same with the new one. Neatly tuck the wire back in to the box, taking care to fold the wires, rather than just jamming them in all willy nilly, which will just put stress on your connections.

I have a healthy respect for electricity, so yes I was very careful to cut power at the breaker and confirm with a tester that it was off. I was also able to confirm that the right-side wire is the hot one, as they're both the same colour so the only way to know was with a tester. So you're saying, should I be able to overcome the screw issue I talk about above, I would wire this so that both cables are at the same end (but opposite silver/brass sides) as opposed to how I discovered the older socket wired. The installation instructions on the GFCI socket were very helpful in explaining the difference between the brass and silver sides at least!

And yes, the wiring on this part of the house is knob and tube.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

NZAmoeba posted:

My unit does have screw posts, but via some black magic, the screw doesn't come out, it'll just loosen and then retighten. But as my wire ends are solid loops, I have no way to get it under the screw. The screws on the older socket can be removed entirely, allowing me to thread it through the wire loop and then screw down nice and secure. This is where my roadblock is.

See, this is the kind of thing people are talking about when they say your questions are concerning.

NZAmoeba posted:

And yes, the wiring on this part of the house is knob and tube.

You really shouldn't be touching this. If there's any saving it someone who knows what they are doing should be doing this work. Someone who not only knows how to do it with the minimum likelihood of damaging that crusty old insulation (i.e. by being able to move the wires as little as possible while preparing them for the new outlet) but who also and more importantly knows when to call it unsafe to use if it comes to that.

This is 100% a safety issue. You are in the deep end of "outlet replacement" here. This is not a fire timer job, it's not something safe to learn on Youtube/SA.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Motronic posted:

Ah, yeah, Chicago bias then, which I should know better than assuming the stuff I've seen is par for the course.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Even if it's old BX the solution is still to replace it, but it doesn't really look like the BX I've seen around my area.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Motronic posted:

This is not a fire timer job

I think it is in this case with your typo. :v:

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
Well good news, I happened to be talking with an electrician about another job, and when I asked for their advice on the new socket, they just went and did it for me.

I was dumb, that "loop" was just a well bent over wire, so I was majorly over thinking it.

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004
Is there such a thing as a 'dummy' 5-15 plug with plastic blades, a metal ground pin, and a lug on the outside to attach a ground wire? I need to provide a ground for a piece of equipment, but I don't have a way to run a dedicated ground wire. I'm hoping I can use an outlet ground.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

fatman1683 posted:

Is there such a thing as a 'dummy' 5-15 plug with plastic blades, a metal ground pin, and a lug on the outside to attach a ground wire? I need to provide a ground for a piece of equipment, but I don't have a way to run a dedicated ground wire. I'm hoping I can use an outlet ground.

Of course not. This would risk overloading the ground capacity of the circuit and/or any number of weird and dangerous situations to occur. How is this device being powered?

If you want a code compliant way to do this you're going to have to be real specific about the type of equipment. It should have a cut sheet that specifies how it is to be grounded or at least the options for it which can then be compared to what you have to work with.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
If it needs a ground, why is the plug not already grounded?

Is it normally supplied by a 5-15 receptacle?

I'm getting major :redflag: vibes here

movax
Aug 30, 2008

fatman1683 posted:

https://desco.descoindustries.com/DescoCatalog/Grounding-Hardware/Banana-Plug-Adaptors/09838/

I use these in the lab for ESD control and things like that. Not designed for massive amounts of fault current though; we use some Leviton bus bars that get directly routed back to the panel with beefier wire, and some single-pole connectors whose name escapes me right now for making the equipment connection.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

movax posted:

https://desco.descoindustries.com/DescoCatalog/Grounding-Hardware/Banana-Plug-Adaptors/09838/

I use these in the lab for ESD control and things like that. Not designed for massive amounts of fault current though; we use some Leviton bus bars that get directly routed back to the panel with beefier wire, and some single-pole connectors whose name escapes me right now for making the equipment connection.

That is 100% not okay to attach to a piece of equipment.

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!
What, no potted plants around?

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

fatman1683 posted:

Either link the equipment, or pull the nameplate power draw. If it's something weird like a 100w 24v radio that wants a ground, that'll probably be fine. Or a stereo that's fed from a 2-prong, but has a grounding wire lug to make the AM/FM radio work better.

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004

Motronic posted:

Of course not. This would risk overloading the ground capacity of the circuit and/or any number of weird and dangerous situations to occur. How is this device being powered?

If you want a code compliant way to do this you're going to have to be real specific about the type of equipment. It should have a cut sheet that specifies how it is to be grounded or at least the options for it which can then be compared to what you have to work with.

The equipment in question isn't powered, it's a patch panel for shielded network cables. All of the powered equipment has its own grounding through the power source, but I need to ground the drain from the shielding as well, and that's done through a separate ground wire on the patch panel. Normally the cabinets are attached to a common ground through a busbar in a datacenter or server room, but I'm doing this in a rented house so I need something simpler.

e:

movax posted:

This seems like exactly what I need, thanks!

fatman1683 fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Dec 10, 2022

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

fatman1683 posted:

The equipment in question isn't powered, it's a patch panel for shielded network cables. All of the powered equipment has its own grounding through the power source, but I need to ground the drain from the shielding as well, and that's done through a separate ground wire on the patch panel. Normally the cabinets are attached to a common ground through a busbar in a datacenter or server room, but I'm doing this in a rented house so I need something simpler.

e:

This seems like exactly what I need, thanks!

No, that's not at all what you need. But you're going to do it anyway.

One of any number of issues with doing this without doing it right is the potential to energize the entire rack due to specific types of building wiring faults. It's literally better to NOT do anything than to do this.

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004

Motronic posted:

No, that's not at all what you need. But you're going to do it anyway.

One of any number of issues with doing this without doing it right is the potential to energize the entire rack due to specific types of building wiring faults. It's literally better to NOT do anything than to do this.

Ok, then what's the correct way to do this, given the restrictions I'm working with?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

fatman1683 posted:

Ok, then what's the correct way to do this, given the restrictions I'm working with?

Not grounding it at all unless it can be grounded properly. Not doing it at all if that's a problem.

I spent years building out and working in datacenters. The amount of ground potential differences on shielded cables needs to be calculated, not SWAG'd. People have been electrocuted messing with ground bounding of this type of cabling because they, like you seem to be, minimize the potential energy that could be involved. How long are these cable runs? Are they between floors? Between buildings?

This sounds like something you shouldn't be doing at all in a rented house. Is this business related? Your business? Someone else's?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I'm looking into adding/moving/replacing circuits and wonder what other stuff I need to get and look into for running wires around inside walls. At this point, I've rewired circuit breakers (had some AFCI issues) inside the panel. I've also done a ton of outlets, switches, and new light receptacles. I've also run a circuit outside for an outdoor kitchen before through conduit and suffered through all that.

Some things I'm looking into:
1. Garage ceiling: I just have one light on a switch and no garage door opener. That light is on a circuit that's doing a lot of stuff already. I was thinking of running a new GFCI-protected circuit for multiple can lights and a garage door opener. I believe I need GFCI since the bulbs are replaceable. Two ceiling drywall panels have fallen off since the house originally used some bad 1/2" panels so we're already looking into replacing the drywall. So I'll have much more access here than the others. I believe the main thing I have to do extra in this case is make sure the wires are stapled to studs since I believe code here requires that if I reasonably can, and I can. I won't be ripping off the drywall on the walls itself so I'd prefer to get into the existing switch from inside the wall.
2. There's a bathroom three-gang setup that is in a unintuitive spot and I'd like to just move it. I have to check code on this since it might technically move it closer to the shower head. I won't be ripping off all the drywall for this but I do have access from the top.

Generally, what kit should I be thinking about for this stuff and what are some topics I should look up so I do this competently?

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004

Motronic posted:

Not grounding it at all unless it can be grounded properly. Not doing it at all if that's a problem.

I spent years building out and working in datacenters. The amount of ground potential differences on shielded cables needs to be calculated, not SWAG'd. People have been electrocuted messing with ground bounding of this type of cabling because they, like you seem to be, minimize the potential energy that could be involved. How long are these cable runs? Are they between floors? Between buildings?

This sounds like something you shouldn't be doing at all in a rented house. Is this business related? Your business? Someone else's?

These are internal cables within a rack, but they're running alongside a set of ventilation fans so I'm worried about EMI from the fan motor, which is why I wanted to use shielded cables. Ground potential difference shouldn't be an issue because they're not running through the building, just within the rack itself. My understanding is that I just need an earth ground to dissipate any charge generated in the shielding from EMI, but if I'm wrong about that I'm happy to be corrected.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

fatman1683 posted:

These are internal cables within a rack, but they're running alongside a set of ventilation fans so I'm worried about EMI from the fan motor, which is why I wanted to use shielded cables. Ground potential difference shouldn't be an issue because they're not running through the building, just within the rack itself. My understanding is that I just need an earth ground to dissipate any charge generated in the shielding from EMI, but if I'm wrong about that I'm happy to be corrected.

Is this an industrial setting or just like a random datacenter / commercial office building? I have seen 1 STP cable deployed in production in my lifetime and it was on a outdoor wifi access point.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

fatman1683 posted:

What is supposed to happen is that everything is bonded to the rack including the powered equipment, then the rack is secondarily bonded to the facility dedicated ground. All of these grounds, from equipment chassis, (some of which are going to be bonded to the ground from whatever they are plugged into) to cable shielding are entirely bonded in multiple places to eliminate almost all possibility of potential differences.

What you appear to be doing is manufacturing a problem with a solution that will create a potential hazard in a residential space.

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004

H110Hawk posted:

Is this an industrial setting or just like a random datacenter / commercial office building? I have seen 1 STP cable deployed in production in my lifetime and it was on a outdoor wifi access point.

This is in my home.

Motronic posted:

What you appear to be doing is manufacturing a problem with a solution that will create a potential hazard in a residential space.

That's entirely possible. Will the shielding still be effective if the patch panel isn't grounded? Or is there a 'correct' way to achieve a ground in this situation?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

fatman1683 posted:

This is in my home.

That's entirely possible. Will the shielding still be effective if the patch panel isn't grounded? Or is there a 'correct' way to achieve a ground in this situation?

If you're worried about inducted loads from exhaust fans in any residential setting, unless you live literally in a mine shaft, you need to stop. UTP is all you need. Unless you are literally wrapping them around cheap fluorescent ballasts nothing is going to go wrong.

If you're within the return window for this equipment do that instead.

Did you buy a stp patch panel, switch, etc all because your rack has fans in it?

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004

H110Hawk posted:

If you're worried about inducted loads from exhaust fans in any residential setting, unless you live literally in a mine shaft, you need to stop. UTP is all you need. Unless you are literally wrapping them around cheap fluorescent ballasts nothing is going to go wrong.

If you're within the return window for this equipment do that instead.

Did you buy a stp patch panel, switch, etc all because your rack has fans in it?

The only thing I have right now is the rack itself. I'm still in the planning phase, which is why I'm asking these questions now. I have had bad experiences with UTP near motors, specifically an old window AC unit and a washing machine, so I figured I would look into shielded cable this time. If it's not necessary then I'm happy to save myself the cost and the trouble, I'm just going off of my previous experiences trying to get 10Gbase-T to work reliably near an EMI source.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

fatman1683 posted:

The only thing I have right now is the rack itself. I'm still in the planning phase, which is why I'm asking these questions now. I have had bad experiences with UTP near motors, specifically an old window AC unit and a washing machine, so I figured I would look into shielded cable this time. If it's not necessary then I'm happy to save myself the cost and the trouble, I'm just going off of my previous experiences trying to get 10Gbase-T to work reliably near an EMI source.

10GBase-T doesn't work well really anywhere. I will leave my judgmental stares around using it in a residential setting to the home networking thread. Getting 10G-T STP compatible gear end to end is going to cost you as much as just replacing the washing machine and AC unit with things that won't give off comical amounts of EMI. Or use fiber. Or 1G. Or even 2.5G.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

fatman1683 posted:

I'm just going off of my previous experiences trying to get 10Gbase-T to work reliably near an EMI source.

That's a poo poo technology that doesn't work reliably anywhere. Nobody with the slightest bit of clue is running that garbage anymore professionally. Which probably makes for pretty attractive prices on used enterprise gear but there's a VERY good reason for that.

What you want are SFP+ ports and DACs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004

H110Hawk posted:

10GBase-T doesn't work well really anywhere. I will leave my judgmental stares around using it in a residential setting to the home networking thread. Getting 10G-T STP compatible gear end to end is going to cost you as much as just replacing the washing machine and AC unit with things that won't give off comical amounts of EMI. Or use fiber. Or 1G. Or even 2.5G.

Motronic posted:

That's a poo poo technology that doesn't work reliably anywhere. Nobody with the slightest bit of clue is running that garbage anymore professionally. Which probably makes for pretty attractive prices on used enterprise gear but there's a VERY good reason for that.

What you want are SFP+ ports and DACs.

Both fair points. I had resisted going fiber because I was trying to avoid buying SFP+ NICs for my servers, most of which already have 10Gbase-T onboard, as well as the fact that I'd have to buy patch cables at set lengths rather than just crimping my own, but the latter is more an annoyance than an actual problem.

My only issues with 10Gbase-T were due to the aforementioned appliances; it worked fine when they weren't running, and was stable for a couple of years after I rerouted the cables. But if it's on its way out then I'll see what my options are with fiber or direct-attach copper.

I appreciate the input.