Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

The snooping MIL post sounded like a repost but it turns out there are a lot of snooping MILs.

Someone set up a glitter trap, another left weird notes, another left sex toys etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Evil Willow posted:

AITA for not giving a girl free treats because she ignores me all the time?

Why didn't you just explain that this person never engages with you and that's why you didn't feel inclined to get her anything? Major Nice Guy vibes coming from this guy.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

Sodium Chloride posted:

The snooping MIL post sounded like a repost but it turns out there are a lot of snooping MILs.

Someone set up a glitter trap, another left weird notes, another left sex toys etc.

The weird notes one will stick with me forever. "My teeth will regrow! I am sharklike and powerful!"

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...

ArchRanger posted:

The weird notes one will stick with me forever. "My teeth will regrow! I am sharklike and powerful!"

I absolutely love this one! It hasn't been posted in a while, so for anyone who missed it originally, enjoy!

AITA for hiding embarrassing notes in my house as a joke because I know my fiance's mom snoops?

quote:

I bought a house seven years ago and I met my fiance, Al, four years ago This year he moved in. We're talking about making it a home for both of us.

But as of now, he hasn't moved much stuff in, right now 95% of the stuff and furniture in the house is mine.

When his mom comes over, she's kind of a snoop. He was used to that, but when she comes to our house, it's so uncomfortable because she's just going through my poo poo.

When I am bothered, she's like "I was just helping with chores" etc. He says I should just let her because she has "a lot of nervous energy"

One thing she snooped on was actually embarrassing. In my home office, I had a little "affirmation" post it note on my monitor saying "I am smart, I am skilled, I am deserving of great things" It was a silly thing my therapist recommended to get me in a confident mindset before an interview.

Anyway, she made a comment to about my ego...

But as a joke, I decided to do it again. I had my best friend over and we got wine drunk and wrote a bunch of "affirmations" to hide.

Some were:

Medicine cabinet: My teeth will regrow! I am sharklike and powerful!

Kitchen drawers: I know when to spoon, but I also know when to fork! I am sexy and self assured!

Work desk: I will not just gently caress my way to the top of the company, I will gently caress my way to the top of the world!

Walk in closet: I am beautiful with clothes and without! Especially without! My boobs are legendary!

There were a bunch more, and my friend and I had a hilarious time writing them.

Next time my MIL came over she saw a few. And she didn't acknowledge them to me even though she definitely started acting a little weird about me.

I went to run some errands and when I was out, she confronted Al about the notes and was trying to tell him that I seemed unstable, egotistical, and moving in was a bad idea. She showed him the notes and he didn't really know what to make of it.

He asked me and I said that they were just some silly private notes to boost my self confidence and make myself laugh; how had she gotten them? Had she been going through my things?

He said she was just tidying, and saw them. And they were real weird.

I was like 'have you met me? You should know how weird I am. Anyway if you don't want your mom seeing my weird poo poo you've got to stop letting her go through my poo poo"

He asked if I left them on purpose to annoy her, and I admitted that was kinda the joke, but I also have other weird or private poo poo so what I said about her needing to stop snooping if she didn't want to find weird crap was still for real.

He said I was making stuff hard for him, his mom was really protective and adjusting to him moving in with a girlfriend for the first time, and I was agitating her on purpose and making her think I wouldn't be a good partner, when he wanted her to have the opposite impression of me!

AITA for the note prank?

kru
Oct 5, 2003

“it’s all good, have a nice evening” she says, I stop to consider this - my mouth full of victory wine.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

ArchRanger posted:

I will not sleep my way to the top of my company I will sleep my way to the top of the world!

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

kru posted:

“it’s all good, have a nice evening” she says, I stop to consider this - my mouth full of victory wine.

lol

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Evil Willow posted:

I absolutely love this one! It hasn't been posted in a while, so for anyone who missed it originally, enjoy!

AITA for hiding embarrassing notes in my house as a joke because I know my fiance's mom snoops?

This is the perfect thing to do to a snooping MIL, it's excellent

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
AITA for telling my daughter I wouldn’t be proud of her if she got a rat?

quote:

My (45f) daughter (20f) has been through it the past few years. She was apart of the class of 2020 so she never really got a graduation or prom, he first year of college was spent in her dorm, she was diagnosed with ADHD and depression, she put on at least 100 pounds, dropped out of college, moved back in with us, got a pretty decent job, and has now officially moved out. I know that overall she has been doing better, much happier, more active, etc. But she wanted to get a dog forever. She’s busy between work and her hobbies and doesn’t feel like she could take care of a dog.

So now she wants to either get a pair of mice or a pair of rats. She told me that with rats, she gets the benefits of a dog without the difficulties that come with a dog (most rats only live 2-3 years, she can teach it tricks, they can be affectionate,etc). I think they’re disgusting. They belong outside, they’re stinky, and just ick. She told me that it’s a lot easier spending an hour a day tending to the rats cleaning, feeding, and making sure they have enough water than to get a dog. She’d still be able to play with them and give them love and attention. She would have something to love and care for that is all her own. She thinks it would improve her mental health. I told her if she gets them she can forget about me coming over there or her younger brothers for that matter, absolutely no pet sitting coming from my household. I told her don’t even go as far as to send photos to them or talk about them with any of us.

She got really upset and was all like “would you at least support me? Would you still be proud of me?” When I told her no, not for that decision she got upset. Now it’s been a few days and she’s not answering my calls.

AITA?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Piell posted:

Pet rats are cool, mom sucks. Opinions only slightly related to one another

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Piell posted:

quote:

She thinks it would improve her mental health.

rats are cute, curious, nice little guys. but after a couple years they all do what rats do best, which is grow tumors and die horribly. this might not be good for your mental health

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Captain Hygiene posted:

Pet rats are cool, mom sucks. Opinions only slightly related to one another

Every apartment I’ve been to with pet rates SMELLS. Not like cats, or dogs, or snakes, or birds, or Guinea pigs, but uniquely incredibly terrible.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

AITA for making a scene when my son refused to dance with me?

quote:

This all started when my son Ben graduated high school. There was a formal dance. I was very excited for the mother-son dance. Every time I brought it up, Ben would say he wasn't going to dance. I didn't take him seriously. I thought he was just being shy.

When we got to the formal, everything was beautiful. But when it came time for the formal dances, he was nowhere to be seen. I approached my older daughter, Alice, and my husband, who I could see were talking and laughing. I asked if they'd seen Ben, and they laughed and said he was going to go hide so he didn't have to dance. I was absolutely heart broken. My son was literally hiding from me! I stood in the corner during the mother-son dance, watching all his friends dance with their moms. I couldn't take it, so I told my husband and daughter that I was walking home.

When they got home, Ben walked right past me and went to his room to get ready for the after party. My daughter hugged me, and went to get ready, because she was driving Ben to the party. After our children left, my husband and I had an argument about what happened. He said he was appalled at my behaviour, and that I was acting like a child. I said that the least Ben could have done was dance with his mother. He said that today was supposed to be about him and his accomplishment, not me. But in my opinion, today should have also been about celebrating the people who helped him get to where he is now. Things got quite heated, and before going inside, my husband said that he wasn't going to force his son to do something he didn't want to do on his day.

I was taken aback by this, so I just stayed on the porch trying not to cry. I thought my husband would support me. Later, my daughter returns home and sees me crying. She gives me a hug and gave me a chocolate bar to try to cheer me up. If no one else, my daughter would be on my side. She danced with me at her graduation. She danced with her father. She understood how important this day was for me. I asked if she was on my side. She said something along the lines of "I know you're upset, but I don't know what you expected from him".

It took a few days before we really spoke to each other again, and after a few weeks, everything went back to normal.

Coming back to the present, my daughter recently got engaged. We were talking about it on a family facetime, and the topic of when Ben will get married came up. He said he was never going to get married, because he doesn't want to deal with another round of dance drama. When I asked him to clarify, he said that he was obviously referring to his graduation.

I was appalled at this attack. He won’t get married because of me? I won't lie, I am upset that he still does not want to dance with me, even at his own wedding. Now my husband is mad at me, my son refuses to answer my calls or texts.

AITA for making a scene and starting an argument because my son never wants to dance with me?

OP comment posted:

It has been 7 years since the incident. My son is now 25, daughter is 29.

:ohno:

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Foo Diddley posted:

rats are cute, curious, nice little guys. but after a couple years they all do what rats do best, which is grow tumors and die horribly. this might not be good for your mental health

Yeah, that was my first thought. If you're already struggling with your mental health, getting a pet whose general life span is counted on one hand might not be the greatest idea.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Captain Hygiene posted:

AITA for making a scene when my son refused to dance with me?

:ohno:

quote:

EDIT: Okay, it appears as though the response is pretty unanimous, and I have a lot of thinking to do.
She also made the thread two times before hand before deleting it because she didn't like the title.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Just dance with your drat mum dude, 10 mins of uncomfortable dancing to avoid literally seven years of dumb drama.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

He's going for appeasing the overbearing, self-centered mom as his opening gambit. An interesting move, let's see how this plays out

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
yeah, i'd take seven years of mom sulking over seven years of "keeping the peace" myself

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Apparently she has a hard time getting him to respond to her texts now that he's moved out and mostly stays away from her, wonder why.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Foo Diddley posted:

yeah, i'd take seven years of mom sulking over seven years of "keeping the peace" myself
It would literally be the next thing, like not sharing ice cream and her run her withered, birdlike-yet-slimy tongue all over it before he got to it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
A lot of people especially in older generations seem to struggle with the idea that boundaries are not conditional and their children can indeed set them and administer consequences for violating them.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Ghost Leviathan posted:

A lot of people especially in older generations seem to struggle with the idea that boundaries are not conditional and their children can indeed set them and administer consequences for violating them.
Yep.

quote:

I was very excited for the mother-son dance. Every time I brought it up, Ben would say he wasn't going to dance. I didn't take him seriously. I thought he was just being shy.
Son told her multiple times - every time she brought it up - that he wasn't going to dance. She ignored him completely.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

AITA for not letting my husband have any of my banana bread anymore?

quote:

Whenever I (29F) have bananas that are close to going bad, I like to make them into banana bread. I make really, really good banana bread.

However, my husband (31M) has this complex about eating baked goods with edges. He always has to eat the middle brownie, or slice of cake, etc. So, when the banana bread is cool enough to cut into, my husband goes in and cuts out the middle 1-2 inches to eat. He won’t touch any other part of the bread.

I don’t mind eating the ends, but I NEVER get to eat the middle, which is IMO the tastiest part, and worse, it causes the rest of the bread to dry out within a day (which I have to eat alone because my husband won’t touch the remains of his pillage).

Keep in mind, I’m the one doing all the work to make this bread, as well as all the cleanup.

I’ve asked my husband not to do this, but he doesn’t seem to care. So, I just made a banana bread, and when he asked me if it was done, I informed him he isn’t allowed to have any if he can’t start cutting from the end like a civilized person. I’ve been living with his banana bread shenanigans for years, and I’ve had enough.

My husband says I’m being ridiculous. AITA?

Edit: my husband has seen this post and we had a good laugh about how almost everyone took my side, much to his surprise. No guarantee he’ll be changing his ways in the immediate future, but I’ve been given a lot of good tips on how to get revenge, so we’ll see down the line.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

A household with not one but two people wrong as hell about crust, thank god they'll stay married

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Barudak posted:

A household with not one but two people wrong as hell about crust, thank god they'll stay married

took themselves out of the dating pool

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

I got my wife one of those "All Edges" brownie sheets 'cause she loves the edges.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Awww. Twu wuv.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Batterypowered7 posted:

I got my wife one of those "All Edges" brownie sheets 'cause she loves the edges.

Or you can just make brownies in a muffin tin.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I'm torn on that one. Oops! All Edges is obviously the way to go for stuff like brownies, but banana bread is all about the moist center. Overall ruling: don't persistently steal the best part of a baked good that someone else made, whether or not you're correct about which part is the best.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Barudak posted:

I'd be pretty miffed if I never got any of the middle bit, sometimes you just want to enjoy the goopiness.

Especially when 3/4 of the crust goes stale because someone hollowed out the middle.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Maybe I'm just missing something obvious but...middle slice of cake?? Like okay you can do square cuts and have middle slices to begin with, but most cakes I've had there's really little to no distinction between the "edges" and the top and/or bottom in the first place. Does he do the same thing with pie?

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

John Murdoch posted:

Maybe I'm just missing something obvious but...middle slice of cake?? Like okay you can do square cuts and have middle slices to begin with, but most cakes I've had there's really little to no distinction between the "edges" and the top and/or bottom in the first place. Does he do the same thing with pie?

Bar cakes exist, and sometimes they frost the whole thing

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Remulak posted:

It would literally be the next thing, like not sharing ice cream and her run her withered, birdlike-yet-slimy tongue all over it before he got to it.

This is simultaneously the grossest and yet the most cathartic thing I've read in a while.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Captain Hygiene posted:

Over the river and through the woods
To grandmothers' houses we go

I know this is from a few pages ago but this made me laugh really hard ty

Nae
Sep 3, 2020

what.

John Murdoch posted:

Banana bread is often made in a loaf pan, which makes the middle taller and more moist than the edges. It's perfectly normal to covet these middle pieces, but stealing them and jeopardizing the rest of the bread in the process is terrible.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
AITA for asking my husband not to invite friends of his that I didn’t know to my thirtieth birthday party?

quote:

So for my thirtieth I wanted a party. Nothing huge, and family friendly since I have kids. I made a list and before I knew it I had 60 people on it! Which is like, a LOT considering our small home. So it was gonna be somewhat of an outdoor party. Husband thought I was making a big deal out of my party, since I undertook all the planning and was excited about it. He didn’t offer to help but wasn’t against it.

He wanted to invite people he knew that I didn’t. That felt weird to me so I said I would rather he didn’t. Already I had invited so many people and that would mean a lot of cupcakes I would have to make. Not to mention that I felt like my attention would be limited for interactions with new people.

He insisted a bit that I would like them, but I finally just said I’d like to get to know them in a different setting, not my thirtieth bday party. He sulked a bit.

He mentioned it to his parents that I didn’t let him invite people, so he definitely had a chip on his shoulder. And today, weeks later, he brings it up again to highlight my “controlling nature”, telling me he has discussed the matter with people who are qualified in counselling, and that those conversations were eye-opening. He didn’t say more because he was going off on a tangent and I told him I didn’t want to hear anymore.

So, AITA?

i'll have you know that i've discussed the matter with experts

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

QuarkJets posted:

It may be easier if your penis is small enough to fit into the neck of a bottle, which I guess must be the case here

I mashed it in enough to get an airtight seal when i tried to do this and was immediately caught off guard by the blowback of air displaced by piss. Regretted that misadventure. Stick to aiming it down the hole or using Gatorades, I say.

Hughlander posted:

AITA for “alienating” my stepkids?
Marco’s room was alternate with a gothic focus. We recreated the spiderweb window from Wednesday

Didn’t Wednesday just come out? Obviously they’d need to be loaded to do all this work like the secret rooms, but seen extra rich to be able to get inspired and lock down the design and materials in a couple of weeks.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Foo Diddley posted:

AITA for asking my husband not to invite friends of his that I didn’t know to my thirtieth birthday party?

i'll have you know that i've discussed the matter with experts

I want a birthday involving people I know, rather than your golfing buddies.

Well I have discussed this with a panel of experts and what they had to say about your controlling behavior was edifying. No I won't clarify further.

But seriously. You don't get to invite people your wife doesn't know to her intimate casual birthday party. Fair enough if it was a big formal affair, and they had a legitimate reason to be there, or connection to the guest of honour. But "I want some of my mates at your party so we can talk about the footy whilst you are off somewhere doing your girly stuff. And the fact that you won't let me makes you a controlling abuser, as certified by my anonymous experts." is a huge arsehole move.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

The guy wants to share cupcakes with his bros but is too poisoned by toxic masculinity to throw his own prince's tea party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

AITA for getting an impulsive against my wife's wishes?

quote:

Title should read *impulsive tattoo. Apologies.

As silly as it sounds, I (28m) went through a pretty traumatic experience when my best friend moved away two months ago. He and I had been friends since our early teen years and now we're both in our late twenties. It very much felt like a security blanket getting ripped away from me and caused me to confront some intense feelings. He and I are still close friends, but with differing time zones, the stress of moving and getting settled in, and adjusting to a career change, our communication has been limited compared to what it was. My wife helped me through the transition as best as she could, but her patience with the process ran thin rather quickly.

This came to a head this weekend. During a weekend trip with some different local friends, I got a somewhat impulsive tattoo. It was a design I had been considering for a while, but I got it done it spur of the moment yesterday. I felt like it was a necessary part of my grieving process of what I thought my life was going to look like moving forward.

When I came home with it tonight, my wife was incredibly angry. The tattoo has a clear connection to my friend, and my wife said it was ridiculous I was taking things so hard. I told her it didn't feel good, having her invalidate my feelings and that art on my body was my business alone. I don't have any tattoos dedicated to her, so - in a moment of anger - accused her of being petty over that fact. She scoffed, left our home, and we haven't spoken since.

AITA?

EDIT: I answered this in a comment but I figured it was relevant to add here. The tattoo is just under the bend of my elbow on my right arm. It's a zodiac sign constellation tattoo with 'maybe when I'm older' written beneath it - hence the chosen username here - which are lyrics to a song I've had on repeat the last couple months.

EDIT 2: To address other comments I've been getting: my friend moved due to work. It was a long, hard decision - one I supported since it was the best for his future despite it being brutally hard for us. And about the tattoo - he likes it. He called me right after I sent him photos of it to talk about it and listen to the song I included.