Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

eke out posted:

a coffee that looks washed but smelled more like thyme and oregano than anything i've ever tried before and now is really intensely like rose/violet in the cup. truly no idea what it might be, clearly went through some aggressive/nonstandard fermentation process though

Dope. Hows the acidity? Post what it ends up being. The most interesting coffee from S8 Leaderboard smells and tastes like rich, almost decadent, tobacco. Im guessing its Indonesian, but have never had an Indonesian coffee this clean. Its a light roast too, so the tobacvo flavor is coming purely from the coffee, and not from a strong Mailliard reaction of an aggressive roast. Really delicious.

GoodluckJonathan fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Dec 3, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Google Butt posted:

it's good and I wish I could drink it all day without fear of death

Funny you should say that, I went down today to grab some beans from the supermarket (I forgot to order good beans and just needed something) and while I was in the store some guy had a cardiac arrest and I had to do the resus until EHS and fire got there (I work in critical care). They didn't even have anything I could use for espresso at the supemarket, which I know sounds obvious but they do sometimes get stuff from local roasters. Ended up walking a few blocks to an espresso bar to grab some overpriced beans there. Now drinking some good espresso so it all worked out!

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Sure, make the rest of us feel bad because we didn’t help save some persons life when we went to get a coffee earlier.

Not that I’d be very good at it either way.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

GoodluckJonathan posted:

Post what it ends up being.

a ruiru-only kenyan batch from Coffea Circulor's estates that they did a "proprietary multi-stage wet-dry" process to, which they don't explain except to say that it minimizes water use. regardless, the outcome seems to end up with both dry process and anaerobic type flavors (though i still truly don't know why the unground beans smelled so much like herbs, it's very unusual)

kind of a shame how it turned out though. their tasting notes literally include "overripe strawberry" -- come on! lol

eke out fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Dec 4, 2022

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

Oh interesting. Theres definitely an aspirational quality to certain tasting notes that rubs me the wrong way.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

it is funny when roasters try to include bad notes in a "actually we think this is good!" kind of way

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

eke out posted:

from Coffea Circulor's

I just looked them up and, uh...

Feeling a bit underappreciated are we?

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

They mean everyone is copying them like copy paste, into a post, to make fun of them

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Would you rather be hi-end or one of the lo-techs from Johnny Mnemonic?

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

I got bored with making black coffee. So I took my aeropress, decaf preground, and some barista milk and made my first ever latte as an evening drink. Was pretty nice

Would prob work great with some spices added tbqh

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Are there any other espresso-ish scales I should consider for the Robot, or should I just buy the Wacaco Exagram that Prima Coffee said will fit it?

https://www.wacaco.com/collections/gear-range/products/exagram

Edit: Wacaco has a 20% off coupon and free shipping so it's about $27 after taxes.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

MetaJew posted:

Are there any other espresso-ish scales I should consider for the Robot, or should I just buy the Wacaco Exagram that Prima Coffee said will fit it?

https://www.wacaco.com/collections/gear-range/products/exagram

Edit: Wacaco has a 20% off coupon and free shipping so it's about $27 after taxes.

The Exagram is probably your best bet. I read up on that a while back when I was mulling getting a Robot, and that's the only thing I saw that wasn't junk (or stupidly expensive aka Pyxis) that fits under a Robot.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

This apparently fits, I found it in some reddit comment and decided to pick it up, should be here this week. I'll report back!

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mPxZy08

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQB0koUF2Ps

I'm ready with 10lbs of the good stuff

Google Butt fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Dec 7, 2022

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Nogffogato!

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

gently caress.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Woah never heard of this before, now I'm even more excited for my robot.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

I have a bag of green beans that's been sitting around for a while gathering dust because I've been lazy. I'm running out of my current set of sad beans and I was thinking about roasting them up - is there a particular guide people recommend, or is it just as easy as tossing them on a baking sheet and flipping them in the oven? I have an air fryer with a rotating basket if that makes things easier - I heard they're supposed to be agitated a bunch?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

ChickenWing posted:

I have a bag of green beans that's been sitting around for a while gathering dust because I've been lazy. I'm running out of my current set of sad beans and I was thinking about roasting them up - is there a particular guide people recommend, or is it just as easy as tossing them on a baking sheet and flipping them in the oven? I have an air fryer with a rotating basket if that makes things easier - I heard they're supposed to be agitated a bunch?

You need basically constant movement to ensure even roasting, I believe it's also a very smokey process. Coffee roasting is supposed to be insanely detail driven and you probably should watch a few dozen hours of video on the topic before diving in. Let us know how it goes!

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I don't think I've head of anyone roasting in an air fryer before. you really need to be able to keep an eye on coloration and listen for the beans to crack. I guess stovetop in a pot with constant manual stirring is probably the best way to go if you absolutely don't want to buy anything, but you'll probably set off your smoke detectors. A popcorn air popper is like $20-30 and how most people get started at this hobby. Run it outside if at all possible.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
I've been trying out my Robot using my brother's Orphan Espresso Lido 3 manual grinder. Surprisingly "or unsurprisingly" I feel l was able to pull decent shots setting my Vario with steel burrs to "2k" and just letting 'er rip.

With the Lido, it seems like it's a very narrow line between over extraction, and under extraction and getting what I assume is channeling. That is, I barely build up any pressure before I start seeing coffe blasting out of the portafilter.

On the Lido I think I tried +3 ticks from 0. That seemed very bitter. I then tried 4 ticks, that was sour. Moved down to 3.5-ish ticks and forgot to tamp, so that was bad. Tried another at ~3.5 and it seemed like it channeled. This is frustrating.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

With manual espresso, a lot of troubles can be fixed with really hot preheating* plus 10 seconds pre infusion. Are you trying that? You can also back off when it channels and finish at a lower pressure, a slow shot is always better than a channeled shot :)

* not for dark roasts

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

MetaJew posted:

With the Lido, it seems like it's a very narrow line between over extraction, and under extraction and getting what I assume is channeling.

If the grind distribution is very poor (which is the case with most/all manual grinders), this is just inevitable.

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

My brother is asking for some kind of thermos or insulated travel mug for Christmas. Something small and spill-proof as it will be going in his bag. Does anyone have any recommendations? Strangely I can't find a James Hoffmann video on the topic!!

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Tippecanoe posted:

My brother is asking for some kind of thermos or insulated travel mug for Christmas. Something small and spill-proof as it will be going in his bag. Does anyone have any recommendations? Strangely I can't find a James Hoffmann video on the topic!!

The zojirushi ones are generally very highly regarded for not getting smelly.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Tippecanoe posted:

I haven't put mine through the paces yet but my wife got me a Fellow Carter that screws shut and doesn't have a spout or anything like that

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Zojirushi mugs are very good and you can drink them one handed without unscrewing anything and the lid and gaskets are really easily to take apart and clean. Important if you ever put milk in your coffee. The only downside is that they are narrow so you won't be able to make pour over directly into them. Also they are really expensive.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

quote:

On this basis we hope to have them clear customs and arrive at our factory in Dunedin mid-late next week. This means the first block of 100 backer units should be on their way before Christmas.

Those first 100 backers will be recieving emails to confirm on tuesday or Wednesday next week
:f5:

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
The Zojirushi ones are ridiculously efficient at keeping things hot, but if you want to drink directly from it then you need to leave the lid open for a while until it cools enough.

I just got the Kinto travel tumbler that someone posted here a while back and I like it a lot better than the Zojirushi for drinking directly. It still keeps coffee hot until after lunch if you need.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

Tippecanoe posted:

I also have the Fellow Carter and it keeps my coffee much too hot when I take it to the office. The little anti splash strainer thing is nice too.

The only downside may be that I can't drink from it while driving unless I'm at a stop light.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Tippecanoe posted:

The JMY series of vacuum mugs from Thermos are excellent. They're completely spill proof, nice to drink from and the best performing in a bunch of tests. I bring mine everywhere.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

withak posted:

The Zojirushi ones are ridiculously efficient at keeping things hot, but if you want to drink directly from it then you need to leave the lid open for a while until it cools enough.

I just got the Kinto travel tumbler that someone posted here a while back and I like it a lot better than the Zojirushi for drinking directly. It still keeps coffee hot until after lunch if you need.

Yeah I actually use my zojirushi travel mug less often than my lovely Starbucks one because the Starbucks mug let’s it get to a drinkable temp.

The zojirushi mug is suuuper easy to clean though which is great

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

sugar free jazz posted:

Yeah I actually use my zojirushi travel mug less often than my lovely Starbucks one because the Starbucks mug let’s it get to a drinkable temp.

The zojirushi mug is suuuper easy to clean though which is great

Throw an ice cube or 2 in before you leave, or pour it 10 minutes earlier and don’t put the lid on. That tends to resolve it.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Throw an ice cube or 2 in before you leave, or pour it 10 minutes earlier and don’t put the lid on. That tends to resolve it.

i sorta don't want to have to develop workarounds to drink coffee out of my mug

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

I'm gonna get hosed up on coffee in January

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

sugar free jazz posted:

i sorta don't want to have to develop workarounds to drink coffee out of my mug

Bro just keep your mug in the freezer until you're ready to use it.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

The faff makes it taste better

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

BrianBoitano posted:

Forewarning - using a nanofoamer is hard mode. Some folks can just get it, others like me struggle a lot (though I have the AA version). When I try a real steam wand at my friendly neighborhood café, it's much easier.

Update: I'm running low on milk and just for laffs I did 2/3 milk 1/3 heavy cream. Much easier to get latte art with my lovely technique, and the flavor / mouthfeel is good for my tastes so I think I'll keep trying this until I can justify a bellman. Sample size of 1, so worth further tests!

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

I just got an early Christmas present: an Eureka Mignon Notte! Does anyone with a Mignon have advice for where to start when dialing in espresso? I'm just talking about ballpark number of steps from touch. Any other pointers would also be appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Qylvaran posted:

I just got an early Christmas present: an Eureka Mignon Notte! Does anyone with a Mignon have advice for where to start when dialing in espresso? I'm just talking about ballpark number of steps from touch. Any other pointers would also be appreciated.

Steps aren’t consistent across grinders as the wheel free spins.

Throw a couple of beans in at a time until you get near espresso fine then start pulling shots and judge based on the shot.