Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

man nurse posted:

Quick question, does P5R have the difficulty setting options like 4G does? Dialing everything to easy baby mode has gone a long way towards my enjoyment of it.

It doesn't have P4G's modular difficulty, but if you're looking for a trivially difficult mode that will let you breeze through the gameplay it does have a difficulty mode called "Safety" that's below Easy that gives you huge quantities of money and exp while dialing your damage up and the enemy's down. Totally eliminates any grinding requirements and lets you retry any battle you lose immediately, although you are locked into the difficult for the whole game if you select it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

man nurse posted:

Quick question, does P5R have the difficulty setting options like 4G does? Dialing everything to easy baby mode has gone a long way towards my enjoyment of it.

Not modular. It does have Safety, Easy, Hard, and Merciless with Safety being locked in for the whole game. But if you want to make it trivial and are playing on PC many of the DLC personas are broken and free - and even if some weren't broken in their own right the ability to pull a level 80 or so persona out of the Compendium before you're half way through the tutorial dungeon would be utterly broken.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Cool, thanks for the info. I have P5R and will likely do safety since that sounds like how I have 4 set up. I love the game so far but I’d be losing interest if the dungeons or bosses started posing as roadblocks rather than the breezier experience they’ve been.

I’m an old, so I like playing most stuff these days on easier difficulties so I can experience the game without bashing my head against tough parts. Glad they have those options.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
IIRC you can also change the difficulty to Safety at any point during the game; you just can't change out of it once it's set. I'd recommend starting on Easy just to see if that's breezy enough on its own. You can always change it to Safety later, but you can't go the other way if you start to get bored with it.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

man nurse posted:

Cool, thanks for the info. I have P5R and will likely do safety since that sounds like how I have 4 set up. I love the game so far but I’d be losing interest if the dungeons or bosses started posing as roadblocks rather than the breezier experience they’ve been.

I’m an old, so I like playing most stuff these days on easier difficulties so I can experience the game without bashing my head against tough parts. Glad they have those options.

If you want an even easier time and are playing on Steam, Zolika's trainer will let you tweak virtually any part of the experience you'd like.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I played through on normal but if you're having trouble summon one of the dlc persona.
If instead you think combat is a slog: behold the Myriad Truths of Izangi

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah the 100k and free prrsonas make normal basically Easy on royal

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Also in royal there's a LOAD of new ways to get SP back in dungeons so that makes the entire game less of a grind

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

It's so dumb how much money P5R throws at you. I haven't done any grinding at all, and just through normal Mementos stuff I have 1.5M yen in November. I'm level 52 and can summon level 83 Surtr for just ~150k. Nothing but self-restraint is keeping me from fusing Personas 30+ levels higher than me.

IMO they should have made the costs much higher than they did for the "spend extra money to summon higher level Personas" option. Like had it drastically scale up for things more than 10 (or whatever) levels higher. Or just limit how many levels higher you can go.

HaB posted:

Right?

Strikers plays almost like a musou game. P5R is turn-based. They aren't even close aside from some skills having the same name.

In practice it seems like most of the important stuff you do in Strikers is select skills, though. Against any harder fight, I rarely had opportunities to actually execute full combos.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
mementos grinding in 5r just breaks the game much like other things in 5r

I feel like they probably "should" set up persona so actually doing your part time jobs is actually a reasonable source of income outside the first few weeks of the game but maybe people wouldn't like that

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

It's so dumb how much money P5R throws at you. I haven't done any grinding at all, and just through normal Mementos stuff I have 1.5M yen in November. I'm level 52 and can summon level 83 Surtr for just ~150k. Nothing but self-restraint is keeping me from fusing Personas 30+ levels higher than me.

Even P5 Vanilla with no DLC has money being pretty worthless by about the third dungeon. Once you've bought a couple of SP Adhesive 3s and spent 100,000 Yen on the Fortune Confidant your big expenses are done and everything else is basically weapons, armour, and consumables. Which you don't need much of especially as guns are almost worthless in vanilla as they don't reload. The main thing the 100,000 Yen does is makes sure you're never even slightly squeezed early, especially as camera straps can keep everyone's SP high when dungeon crawling so no need to buy anything for that.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i really hated strikers' gameplay tbh. every battle was over so quick that you could barely get into the musou flow. youd do like two autos and then everyoned be dead lol.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Endorph posted:

i really hated strikers' gameplay tbh. every battle was over so quick that you could barely get into the musou flow. youd do like two autos and then everyoned be dead lol.

The worst part is that Strikers has amazing battle music, but you only get to listen to the first few seconds of the tracks usually.

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Ytlaya posted:

The worst part is that Strikers has amazing battle music, but you only get to listen to the first few seconds of the tracks usually.

so it is like normal persona, lol.

speaking of which, the dumbest loving change has to be removing "never see it coming" as the ambush music. the new one is ok, but distinctly not as good. also linking battle music to outfit instead of just letting us change it in thieves den.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Ytlaya posted:

To be fair though it makes the opening verse of Axe to Grind work amazingly well.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Strikers rules because it picks a random song from the playlist whenever you get into a fight.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
What You Wish For is great in general, but the parts like the one linked to here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_g7lIAnLYKI&t=43s

...where the background singers harmonize the "ooooooooohhh"s are transcendent and give me chills every time.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
If I'm not feeling Persona 4 Golden by the end of the Sauna dungeon, is it worth continuing on or playing Persona 5 Royal?

Note I have played a bit of Persona 5 and liked the early bits better than Persona 4.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
The plot picks up a bit later but the day to day stuff, the gameplay in dungeons and the dungeons themselves don't change up much really. Or not enough to drastically improve your view of the game if you're already not feeling it.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i cant think of anyone as bad as their job as the principal in persona 5. i think all he does is hire a sex predator, hire someone who attempts to take over the entire world, and die (p5r spoilers)

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Dec 4, 2022

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Well I got the bad ending for 4G which really surprised me when it happened because I didn’t know there were multiple endings, much less extra content obfuscated by them.

Thankfully if I understand correctly, I maxed out the social link necessary to continue on to the true and golden endings content. I just need to reload my save prior to the ending and pick the right dialogue choices.

I’m glad that’s the case and I will probably do it, but man I would be -pissed- if I spent all that time playing, got that sudden anticlimactic ending, and then found out I didn’t do the stuff right to get the true endings.

So in the interest of saving myself that potential heartache for 5R, is there a bare minimum non-spoilerish requirement I should be aware of going in to set myself up for getting the real ending? Or would it be too much spoilers?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

man nurse posted:

So in the interest of saving myself that potential heartache for 5R, is there a bare minimum non-spoilerish requirement I should be aware of going in to set myself up for getting the real ending? Or would it be too much spoilers?

max out (or at least progress to the point where they become plot-locked) Councillor, Faith and Justice. There's weirdly conflicting info on which ones you actually need to max out to get the new endgame but it's very easy to max those three

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Feels Villeneuve posted:

i cant think of anyone as bad as their job as the principal in persona 5. i think all he does is hire a sex predator, hire someone who attempts to take over the entire world, and die (p5r spoilers)

Plus he puts a high schooler on the trail of criminals, and on top of that the high schooler inexplicably pulls through, said criminal being one of the bank rollers for the the organization that the principal works for

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

man nurse posted:

If you want to know specific cut-off points and rough dates, you need to get Justice to level 8 and Councillor to level 9 by mid-November, and Faith to level 5 before late December.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Mirello posted:

speaking of which, the dumbest loving change has to be removing "never see it coming" as the ambush music. the new one is ok, but distinctly not as good. also linking battle music to outfit instead of just letting us change it in thieves den.

*grabs costumes*
*immediately switches to P4*
*gets into fight*

0/10 worst game ever.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Time to Make History is the better song, they chose correctly

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Mirello posted:

Strongly agree with this, "Never see it coming" (or whatever that track is called) is great and way better than the new one (and also more thematically appropriate). And you almost never get to hear it aside from the rare situations where you screw up or fight a treasure demon in Mementos.

At least its cool remix shows up relatively often in Strikers (and Strikers' regular battle themselves are better than P5R's Ambush theme IMO, plus there being 2 or 3 of them so there's at least a little variety).

edit: Wait, you can change it by changing outfit?! lmao I never realized this

Alacron posted:

Strikers rules because it picks a random song from the playlist whenever you get into a fight.

It's neat how you can set it to randomize between battle themes from all the previous Persona games (including 1/2 IIRC). I wish they had added something like that to the PC P5R port.

Barry Bluejeans posted:

What You Wish For is great in general, but the parts like the one linked to here...

This one is my favorite.

Arist posted:

I like it a bit better (it has one of the best chorus parts among all the modern Persona battle themes IMO), though not as much as the difference between my opinion of Last Surprise vs Takeover (I don't dislike Takeover, but like Last Surprise far more).

Normally when I look up the lyrics to these songs I can hear what's going, but I never figured out how "disgrace" became "discree" in Time to Make History. Normally when something sounds weird in a Persona song it clears up once I look at the actual lyrics (Whims of Fate being one of the best examples of this), but not the case there.

My favorite part is when it goes "but they fight over place in it. yeah they fight, over place in it."

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Dec 5, 2022

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
takeover is significantly better than last surprise and you are all sickos

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Arist posted:

But I am obviously always aiming for a sneak attack so I don't hear it as much as the old song. So while I agree, they still hosed up.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Feels Villeneuve posted:

takeover is significantly better than last surprise and you are all sickos

The Japanese fans agree with this, although I do have to question their obsession with all the versions of Beneath the Mask.

(I prefer Take Over too)

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i'm glad they removed NEVER SEE IT COMIN because i already had that song stuck in my head for like 4 years, i'm good

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
wait what did they do to Last Surprise? I've only played Royal and it was definitely one of the standard battle themes.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

wait what did they do to Last Surprise? I've only played Royal and it was definitely one of the standard battle themes.

it was originally the only battle theme. in royal it's reserved for fights where you don't get the jump on the enemy, which a) is counter-intuitive to the lyrics and b) means you won't be hearing it often, given how easy it is to ambush everyone

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Last Surprise is about an opponent who thinks they have the advantage over you and then gets clowned on, there's nothing wrong with it being used only for situations where you don't have the upper hand right out of the gate.

I haven't played Royal, so I can't say anything about the quality of the new songs though.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I heard plenty of Last Surprise; sorry you're not as bad as video games as me i guess :smug:

And, I mean, you can pretty confidently say Take Over rules without ever hearing it; it's by the same people as the rest of the soundtrack, but if you're wondering:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJ2KB5LVdqA

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

take over is fine but i think itd work better if take over was the standard battle theme and last surprise was the surprise attack battle theme

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Take Over is fine as a track, but I don't think it works as a "you will hear it thousands of times throughout the game" standard battle track.

IMO it's a bit too...energetic/noisy for that sort of thing.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

it also doesn't have the all out attack timing oftentimes coinciding with the peak of the chorus

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Artelier posted:

it also doesn't have the all out attack timing oftentimes coinciding with the peak of the chorus

There's a mod that eliminates the hold up track change and it makes the music in battles flow so much better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

WTF darts are so much easier now that you just need to use buttons to aim and throw rather than rely on controller motion on the PS4.