Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Meanwhile my first two supervisors when I started at USCIS only had a high school education and the person I know who went fastest from being hired to a GS-13 also had never gone to college.

I do appreciate honestly how much nobody there cares what your education was if you are good at the job, as that is how it should be. I did not appreciate when I was told to never bring up being proud of my education in interviews. But I made it work, it just took like seven years to break GS-11's stranglehold on my progress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I know you've been trying to get back in and I hope this works out for you.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Anyone want to guess what will happen with the expiring CR in two weeks? Oh, and the COLA in January will be 4.1% for the budget strapped agencies out there to swallow.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

SirPablo posted:

Anyone want to guess what will happen with the expiring CR in two weeks? Oh, and the COLA in January will be 4.1% for the budget strapped agencies out there to swallow.

It's awesome on both ends - 4.1% isn't nearly enough to keep up with inflation but it'll still be a huge hit to agencies because Congress is too stupid to index labor appropriations to the COLA increases.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

SirPablo posted:

I'm betting a just for fun shutdown over a Saturday or a couple of hours in the middle of the night or something.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Midjack posted:

I'm betting a just for fun shutdown over a Saturday or a couple of hours in the middle of the night or something.

They'll kick the can forward to the next Congress who will then botch it spectacularly.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
No one cares about a weekend shutdown. Drag that poo poo into the next week.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Midjack posted:

I know you've been trying to get back in and I hope this works out for you.
Thank you! It is definitely exciting to be going back in now that I spent a couple of years appreciating in hindsight the sweetness of this gig overall.

Not that I ever doubted it was a fine job. But my life circumstances at the time had me basically living in three places at once, and I think my limit is really two.

Anyway, definitely excited to see how many weeks, months, or decades it takes for HR to actually get me a start date

animedatingsim
Mar 27, 2022
Whats the news over at IRS? Still dysfunctional? There are some attorney jobs on USAJobs that I want to apply for and I can already transfer my experience at another agency over. I want to move from litigation to just reading arcane tax codes and writing memos.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Everything I hear about IRS is that it's no different than anywhere else if you're not public-facing.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

animedatingsim posted:

Whats the news over at IRS? Still dysfunctional? There are some attorney jobs on USAJobs that I want to apply for and I can already transfer my experience at another agency over. I want to move from litigation to just reading arcane tax codes and writing memos.

Almost all IRS attorney jobs outside DC involve litigation.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Dr. Quarex posted:

Clearly what people are saying to you is that you are a SUPERSTAR and should ascend the ranks!!!

Let me see if I can master the basics first!

Endless Mike posted:

Everything I hear about IRS is that it's no different than anywhere else if you're not public-facing.

In my limited experience, this is true.

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

desperate to go to Florida, this Minnesota cold isn’t being kind to me

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Florida sucks poo poo don't go there

I mean, Minnesota colds sucks rear end, too, but Florida sucks too

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Lots of fed jobs down here in TX, and it's a little better than FL? :shrug:

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

I’m expecting to get sent to Florida at some point, just because of how much damage they sustained with the last round of hurricanes

I don’t think I’ll get lucky like one of our archaeologists and get go go Minnesota->Saipan…

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Rakeris posted:

Lots of fed jobs down here in TX, and it's a little better than FL? :shrug:

That's a debate that could support an entire thread across multiple subforums with zero resolution

Also no rest for us in self funded orgs if there's a shut down

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

Xelkelvos posted:

That's a debate that could support an entire thread across multiple subforums with zero resolution

Also no rest for us in self funded orgs if there's a shut down

Ain’t it great? Fee funded ftw

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
My father already sent me a message concerned about how my job might fall through and I was like "USCIS cannot like fall victim to a government shutdown, the building would have to burn down or something at this point"

And yes I am going to have to take some deep breaths when the building burns down

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Now that we’re guaranteed back pay and I have enough saved up to cover a few months, I don’t mind the shutdowns at all.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

TheMadMilkman posted:

Now that we’re guaranteed back pay and I have enough saved up to cover a few months, I don’t mind the shutdowns at all.

Yeah, if you're well-off enough to not worry about paying bills for the duration, furloughs are great.

Dr. Quarex posted:

My father already sent me a message concerned about how my job might fall through and I was like "USCIS cannot like fall victim to a government shutdown, the building would have to burn down or something at this point"

And yes I am going to have to take some deep breaths when the building burns down

Don't panic, but don't be surprised if a hiring schedule gets disrupted. Even if HR is essential, the HR work being done during a furlough is decidedly not business-as-usual. I'd also be curious about hiring authority to bring on new staff, even if current staff are deemed essential.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Sweet Jesus shutdowns as a contractor on an firm-fixed price contract were paradise. The monthlong one a few years ago consisted of the following after the first week (we never got a stop work order so still required to report in every day so we got paid):

1. Roll into the office anytime before 10AM, nobody cares. Wear jeans too because nobody cares.
2. Take 2 hours for lunch. This usually consisted of wandering around the nearby mall for any post-holiday merch on sale.
3. 4:00 PM on the drat dot, everybody go home.

All the while we'd answer like 5 emails the whole day. Sure we had some work to do but that practically ran out after a week with no feds around to approve anything to the next stage.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Devor posted:

Yeah, if you're well-off enough to not worry about paying bills for the duration, furloughs are great.

Having to borrow money from my parents during the 2013 shutdown directly led to me building a 6-month cushion, which may sound like a lot, but I’ll be damned if I’m going to let a shutdown bother me again. When they passed the back pay law during the 2018-2019 shutdown, I was the most relaxed person you could possibly imagine. Plenty of money to cover my bills, he knowledge that I would eventually get paid for doing nothing, and no work.

I seriously recommend that new fed employees build a 2-month cushion asap because they will need it.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
Just work DoD and laugh about shutdowns forever since they don't affect you

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
They don't affect the US Postal Service either since none of its money comes from tax dollars (to the surprise of everyone that I tell that to).

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
SSA was essential so we had to be there in person to tell people that no, we can't print you benefit letters or take claims. Or order social security cards. No, I don't know why I'm here either. Yes, extremely pointless

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

GD_American posted:

SSA was essential so we had to be there in person to tell people that no, we can't print you benefit letters or take claims. Or order social security cards. No, I don't know why I'm here either. Yes, extremely pointless

Probably Antideficiency Act-related, like everything else during a shutdown. Accepting a claim implies the government might pay for it. Printing a benefit letter implies the government will pay for things in the future. And the Antideficiency Act means that feds aren't allowed to incur obligations from the Federal government without authorization.

If it went to court it might not actually get the Agency or individuals in trouble, but the Agency lawyers who write the policy are flying by the seats of their pants as much as we are, and better to be safe than sorry. 10 years ago in a planning meeting, someone probably (rightly) pointed out that it was an essential task to get money that was owed to people out the door, so the essential designation was (rightly) widely used at SSA. Then years later a shutdown looms, and they ask the new guy what all these essential employees are able to do, and they come up with the worst of all worlds.

Catkin
Apr 28, 2006

it is all a dream- a grotesque and foolish dream.
*cries in Fish and Wildlife Service*

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010

Catkin posted:

*cries in Fish and Wildlife Service*

Whaddup fellow DOIbrah :respek:

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Seamonster posted:

Sweet Jesus shutdowns as a contractor on an firm-fixed price contract were paradise. The monthlong one a few years ago consisted of the following after the first week (we never got a stop work order so still required to report in every day so we got paid):

1. Roll into the office anytime before 10AM, nobody cares. Wear jeans too because nobody cares.
2. Take 2 hours for lunch. This usually consisted of wandering around the nearby mall for any post-holiday merch on sale.
3. 4:00 PM on the drat dot, everybody go home.

All the while we'd answer like 5 emails the whole day. Sure we had some work to do but that practically ran out after a week with no feds around to approve anything to the next stage.

I'm doing all of this already.

Catkin
Apr 28, 2006

sparkmaster posted:

Whaddup fellow DOIbrah :respek:

Yo! Hugged a tree today, homie??

I happen to work at one of the USA's most remote wildlife refuges... There's one 9-seat flight to and from the island every two weeks, for which the manifest gets assigned about 3 months in advance, so in the event of a shutdown, I guess we all just hang around and twiddle our thumbs for a while. To add to the anxiety, we're getting ready to spin up a mouse eradication program next year which has already been delayed twice due to the pandemic and which will involve a poo poo ton of extra people and supplies and intricate planning clear through to September.

Never been happier to be a lowly technician :piss:

Catkin
Apr 28, 2006

Also just found out today that our uniform purchasing portal is still nonfunctional after 3 months because the contract is hosed up or something. Whoopee! Even if I could order new uniforms it would take them 3 more months to get here probably. I'm already trying to avoid wearing the horrible hot scratchy illfitting things I still have, which are all stained or ripped up anyway and look like hell. The uniform pants are 3mm thick and I can't loving move in them. And honestly they're a legitimate workplace hazard, the humidity never drops below 70% and the heat index here is in the 100s beginning in May. I prefer not to die of self-saunafication.

Lucca Blight
Jun 2, 2009
When are we probably going into shutdown again?

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Lucca Blight posted:

When are we probably going into shutdown again?

December 16th for an uncertain level of 'probably'

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Devor posted:

December 16th for an uncertain level of 'probably'

Just in time for the Holidays!

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

I'm only using 18% of my full power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Catkin posted:

Also just found out today that our uniform purchasing portal is still nonfunctional after 3 months because the contract is hosed up or something. Whoopee! Even if I could order new uniforms it would take them 3 more months to get here probably. I'm already trying to avoid wearing the horrible hot scratchy illfitting things I still have, which are all stained or ripped up anyway and look like hell. The uniform pants are 3mm thick and I can't loving move in them. And honestly they're a legitimate workplace hazard, the humidity never drops below 70% and the heat index here is in the 100s beginning in May. I prefer not to die of self-saunafication.

I'm super curious, where are you?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

There's no shutdown happening this month. They'll cut another long CR deal so the next Congress can deal with it.

*Then* there will be a shutdown when McCarthy turns out to be completely useless and unable to control his caucus of children.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Catkin posted:

My guess is desecheo island wildlife refuge in Puerto Rico? Probably not because I think that'd be a boat instead of plane...

Somewhere in the Pacific or Caribbean?

Edit: got to be some Pacific atoll or something if it's that remote

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

There's no shutdown happening this month. They'll cut another long CR deal so the next Congress can deal with it.

*Then* there will be a shutdown when McCarthy turns out to be completely useless and unable to control his caucus of children.

This is the most likely outcome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atahualpa
Aug 18, 2015

A lucky bird.

TheMadMilkman posted:

I felt the same way but the last time there was a shutdown they decided my agency was essential after all, and apparently now with the funding from the IRA we will continue to operate in the event of a shutdown. A lot of people at my level are close to living paycheck-to-paycheck so that's great for them, but I'm going to miss getting some free time off whenever Congress fails to get its poo poo together.