Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

According to DFB, Disneyland has not announced a closing date.
https://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2022/12/02/breaking-splash-mountain-closing-date-announced-for-disney-world/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
Officially heading out on a WDW DCL adventure this weekend. Jumping on the Wish for the first time Monday.

I’m honestly happy Splash is finally going down next month. Besides the obvious source material issues - it’s been in such a state of disrepair at WDW over the last two years, it makes me sad and mad. Even DLR Splash was running on all cylinders when I rode it.

Bring me my Tiana’s Beignet Falls and shower me in powdered sugar please.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

gamer roomie is 41 posted:

My magic key expires in January and I’m not renewing, so I’m very happy to have come to this realization before then and get a chance to try everything (except mission breakout - looks too scary😬)
I don't know about Mission Breakout but the Tower of Terror is mostly about the queue buildup and the pre-show. Once you actually start going up and down it's not bad at all. Give it a go, you'll love it once you get past The Fear.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

My wife and I recently went to California's Great America, so I figured I'd write a trip report to interrupt Splash talk. This was our first (and only) trip to the park. We did it because we already have Cedar Fair platinum passes, I had airline points from work travel that I needed to burn, CGA is getting shut down in the near future, and we wanted to celebrate our anniversary somewhere far from home without the kids.

It's a much smaller park than I realized. We were able to get around the park riding everything we wanted multiple times within 5 hours, which was good since they have shortened hours this time of year. We were there the weekend before Thanksgiving, so most of their Winterfest stuff was up which was fun to see. But it wasn't officially Winterfest yet, so it was pretty light attendance. I was surprised to see it so close to the 49ers stadium. I read about that later, and they actually close the park during game days because they share a parking lot and there is an agreement in place that they can't open the park then.

Some ride highlights for us:
  • RailBlazer - A single rail steel coaster that was pretty neat. I'd never seen this type of rail before, so it was fun to watch (my wife rode and I watched because I can't go upside-down on rides anymore).
  • Gold Striker - A wooden coaster which is described as "relentless" on their website and is a very apt description. This baby does not stop once you're down that first hill. It's a near-constant speedfest with zero brakes. I was laughing excitedly the entire time. It was also pretty smooth for a wooden coaster.
  • Psycho Mouse - I'm a sucker for a wild mouse.
  • Drop Tower - I'm also a sucker for drop towers.
  • Barney Oldfield Speedway - This was probably the longest antique cars I've ever been on. It meandered underneath and around two different roller coasters and was so long that they had an employee on a lifeguard chair halfway through the ride (to make sure people weren't trying to sneak out of their cars).
  • Carousel Columbia - A double-decker carousel. This one made us slightly bummed that we didn't bring the kids with us because our 4yo son is a carousel fanatic, and double-deckers aren't common.
  • Mass Effect: New Earth - A 4D theater that mixed live action (kind of) into the ride. Pretty mediocre overall, but it was cool to see a video game tie-in.

A good park, but definitely not one I'd care to go back to. We've been to 6 of the 11 Cedar Fair amusement parks, and CGA is second to last in our personal rankings.

Unrelated, but during some downtime on one of the days we were on vacation, we went to a nearby mall to walk around. There was an old guy walking his dog in the mall. The dog stopped, took a poo poo in the middle of the path, the guy watched it do its business, and then just walked away. WTF, dude? :argh:

Good-Natured Filth fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Dec 3, 2022

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title
fun to read your impressions. I live in SF but have only gone to CGA once, recently, by myself.

Thinking I want to take the kids there sometime before it closes, but the small amount of working attractions for young kids and the amount of driving/walking to get there means it's just baaarely worth it.
Could go for the water park too, but it's hard to time a day that's hot enough for a water park but not so hot that everybody went to the water park.

would love to go on Gold Striker five more times though

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Good-Natured Filth posted:

Some ride highlights for us:
  • Mass Effect: New Earth - A 4D theater that mixed live action (kind of) into the ride. Pretty mediocre overall, but it was cool to see a video game tie-in.

You managed to get on this on its last weekend before it shut down until Winterfest is over.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

Fartington Butts posted:

You managed to get on this on its last weekend before it shut down until Winterfest is over.
they don't reskin it as a movie where the Reapers teach Shepard the true meaning of christmas?

what do you think are the odds are it comes back for next year :question:

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
Marriott's Great America was the first amusement park I ever had a season pass to. Blue Streak was the first non-fair roller coaster I ever rode, I got slimed at the Nickelodeon section, and I remember being terrified of the triple Ferris Wheel (even before I saw Beverly Hills Cop III, which was filmed there). Lot of good memories there. It's probably been at least 16 years since I last visited though.

I got a chance to visit Carrowinds for the first time this summer visiting some friends that work there and it turns out Stealth, which was removed to build Crocodile Dundee's Boomerang Bay Water Park was rehomed there are renamed Nighthawk. Sadly, it wasn't running that day.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

I cant wait to see the very real Splash Mountains Stans that will make a scene
they can hang out with the Dr.Suess zebra book fans and the Pepe Lepew fan

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I'd be lying if I said I'm not gonna miss it at all, because I'm certainly gonna miss the songs - How Do Ya Do? Laughin' Place, and Zip A Dee Doo Dah. Hearing these and smelling the water is one of the few things left at WDW that never fails to transport me back to my childhood.

The songs in PatF are not that memorable and they might not even use the most appropriate one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uBTnyoZAVI

I'm also worried they'll just do another lazy re-telling/rehash of the film's story and not try anything fun and new with the IP, like Frozen and Nemo at Epcot. For example, as much as I don't care for Ratatouille at Epcot, it at least does utilize the IP in a fun and creative way.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Sivart13 posted:

they don't reskin it as a movie where the Reapers teach Shepard the true meaning of christmas?

what do you think are the odds are it comes back for next year :question:

It will come back. They just need all the entertainment folk they can get for Winterfest.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Splash Mountain was the very first Disney ride I ever went on, at the ripe old age of 31 when my now-wife first took me there. It broke down and we got stuck underneath the singing opossums and she almost cried because she thought I would hate the rest of the parks.

It's still our favorite ride. We have a Christmas ornament of it. And it looks like garbage now and I'm very happy to see it reimagined.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
When it was hitting on all cylinders - Splash animatronics, the laughing place - just amazing.

I always dreaded that outside part of the queue, because I would routinely hit it with a group of 200 cheerleaders.

But they better not change that sweet sweet AC blast in the final walkway before you board. That’s the best part.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

I'd be lying if I said I'm not gonna miss it at all, because I'm certainly gonna miss the songs - How Do Ya Do? Laughin' Place, and Zip A Dee Doo Dah. Hearing these and smelling the water is one of the few things left at WDW that never fails to transport me back to my childhood.

The songs in PatF are not that memorable and they might not even use the most appropriate one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uBTnyoZAVI

I'm also worried they'll just do another lazy re-telling/rehash of the film's story and not try anything fun and new with the IP, like Frozen and Nemo at Epcot. For example, as much as I don't care for Ratatouille at Epcot, it at least does utilize the IP in a fun and creative way.

I disagree about the music, but maybe my opinion is biased since I'm a nola native. Encanto might be the only soundtrack I've listened to more than princess and the frog.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
Hey friends, what is the weather in Orlando in early January typically like? Too cold to swim? One month out from my wdw trip :toot:

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
All pools are heated, so if that's your priority you should be fine. It might be "chilly" but that's subjective.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem

couldcareless posted:

All pools are heated, so if that's your priority you should be fine. It might be "chilly" but that's subjective.

I am an “always chilly” type of person, so I’ll pack some layers. And just in case anyone was curious, I was able to get an oga’s cantina reservation by checking the website early every morning :)

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

remigious posted:

Hey friends, what is the weather in Orlando in early January typically like? Too cold to swim? One month out from my wdw trip :toot:

30-80f typically

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I dunno if it makes me a "Splash Mountain Guy" because I'll miss the Brer characters, since I was one of a bunch of 80s kids that bought into the idea that the book is extremely offensive and the movie is also bad, but the Rabbit/Fox/Bear characters removed from all of that context are quite innocuous. The whole thing about the rabbit character being a trickster on the run from his enemies and surviving by his wits reminds me of the rabbit of fables in Watership Down. Bear is just a fun character that's like he's half-Goofy, and Fox is Captain Hook For Furries.

However there's no real future leverage for the ride itself with its current theme, so I understand the decision as a business to switch it to something that isn't a dead property with no future expansion. And as much as I like the characters and songs, they've been at the Parks year round since the Disney Afternoon era. Beauty & The Beast wasn't a thing yet and Rescue Rangers went from a kids show to a "ha-ha we're adults now" movie during Splash's run. It's not really that timeless, you had plenty of chances.

I just have to hope Disney does a great job with the re-do because the effects inside were from the last of the era of giving a poo poo. I have a bad feeling that WDI prioritizes fewer breakdowns and B-Modes over pushing the boundaries, at least in the US parks, due to the maintenance philosophy.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Dec 3, 2022

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
It won't be amazing. It mostly looks like a retheme a d I guarantee you ot wl ha e more screens than a universal ride.

A real shame.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

remigious posted:

def make sure you have at least a light jacket and don't forget rain gear because being soggy when it's 55 out is distinctly not fun.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
January is the only month in Florida where you’re almost guaranteed to need at least a hoodie. Any other month, even November, December, February, and March, it could go either way.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Craptacular! posted:

I dunno if it makes me a "Splash Mountain Guy" because I'll miss the Brer characters, since I was one of a bunch of 80s kids that bought into the idea that the book is extremely offensive and the movie is also bad, but the Rabbit/Fox/Bear characters removed from all of that context are quite innocuous. The whole thing about the rabbit character being a trickster on the run from his enemies and surviving by his wits reminds me of the rabbit of fables in Watership Down. Bear is just a fun character that's like he's half-Goofy, and Fox is Captain Hook For Furries.
When I was a child I somehow ended up in posession of only the animal stories carefully snipped out of the rest of the book and presented as "Brer Rabbit's Adventures" or something similar. I didn't know anything about the wider context unil maybe four or five years after going on the ride for the first time, so I thought there was just a Disney movie of the animals that I hadn't seen somehow. Was not a pleasant education.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Arquinsiel posted:

When I was a child I somehow ended up in posession of only the animal stories carefully snipped out of the rest of the book and presented as "Brer Rabbit's Adventures" or something similar. I didn't know anything about the wider context unil maybe four or five years after going on the ride for the first time, so I thought there was just a Disney movie of the animals that I hadn't seen somehow. Was not a pleasant education.

They made merchandise featuring the characters removed from the live-action parts for a few decades, so even Disney's old limited movie release tactic didn't help because a lot of people at any time would open one of those up and say, "the gently caress is this tarbaby poo poo."

The ride on it's own was designed to avoid any controversial element, but it's a pointless endeavor since any kind of tell-me-more leads to awful things.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
They're just marketing to the only people left on Twitter

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

couldcareless posted:

I disagree about the music, but maybe my opinion is biased since I'm a nola native. Encanto might be the only soundtrack I've listened to more than princess and the frog.

I'm not a NOLA native nor am I familiar with the area or a fan of the culture (it's fine, it's just not my thing in particular) and I gotta say, PatF's soundtrack is really, really good for the time.

Song of the South is a horrifically problematic movie that has terrible themes and a lot of really sad of-its-time-isms. Which really sucks because it's very well animated.

PS: near-WDW dog show interested folks; do any of you care about any particular breed/do you want the judging program

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Let's take a moment to admire the best thing ever posted about Splash Mountain

5 Times The Animatronic Fox On Splash Mountain Addressed Me By Name And Told Me He Was Going To Marry My Dad

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse

Good-Natured Filth posted:

My wife and I recently went to California's Great America, so I figured I'd write a trip report to interrupt Splash talk.

Railblazer fuckin owns. RMC just doesn't miss
Top Gun is also an A tier coaster, if only for the finale over the lake
Grizzly is very boring but was my first roller coaster ever so....

I spent a lot of time at Great America as a kid/teen. I will be sad when I closes. I'm sure they will relocate Railblazer though.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

BlueBayou posted:

Railblazer fuckin owns. RMC just doesn't miss
Top Gun is also an A tier coaster, if only for the finale over the lake
Grizzly is very boring but was my first roller coaster ever so....

I spent a lot of time at Great America as a kid/teen. I will be sad when I closes. I'm sure they will relocate Railblazer though.

nah, railblazer won't get relocated, the people that designed and built it have no idea how to take apart a roller coaster and put it back together again

what are we talking about here, legos?

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Coasterphreak posted:

nah, railblazer won't get relocated, the people that designed and built it have no idea how to take apart a roller coaster and put it back together again

what are we talking about here, legos?
I'd argue that RMC is quite good at taking apart roller coasters, usually the ride ends up significantly improved after they do so.

Raptors don't have many welded parts outside the running surfaces so I don't expect it to be too arduous of a relocation. It fits in a Boomerang's footprint, is fairly economical when it comes to footers and RMC has an entire coaster's worth of spare parts in stock from the South Dakota Raptor that never materialized in case anything unexpected breaks.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Arquinsiel posted:

I don't know about Mission Breakout but the Tower of Terror is mostly about the queue buildup and the pre-show. Once you actually start going up and down it's not bad at all. Give it a go, you'll love it once you get past The Fear.

Ive said it before, but I really enjoy Mission Breakout because it’s such an effective lesson in how framing changes the feel of the same ride experience. ToT is about maximizing that feeling of dread, while Mission Breakout is very much of the MCU - quippy and fast. Rocket keeps you smiling then you’re flying up and down before you even have a chance to realize you were supposed to be scared, and the anticipation is always the most intimidating part of any thrill ride.

Monsters After Dark also shows this off by making the queue very sinister, and the push away from load is scary…but even it lays off the throttle as soon as the (absurd) theme starts playing.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

remigious posted:

Random as hell. But bank on it being in the mid-60s, at most. You'll definitely need at least a hoodie, but there may be sudden cold snaps where those 55-65 temp ranges drop into the 30s and 40s. But almost every time that happens, it gets really windy which makes it feel much colder.

Definitely pack a hoodie or a light jacket, at a minimum.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
We just got back after spending 6 days at Disney World in Pop Century. We visited every park. Our first visit ever to a Disney park. My wife’s a massive Disney person.

It was a fun time but so draining to say the least lol. We had a 5 and 10 year old with us. If this is the slower time of year I’d hate to see a busy week at Disney. The weather being so nice might have made it busier than normal I dunno.

We had a dinner or lunch reservation most days. We did Tusker House, Whispering Canyon, Garden Grill, Cinderellas castle and The Beauty and Beast dinner thing. When we do it again I think we will skip almost all reservations for food. We actually liked the quick service food more than the “nice dinners” we spent 200-300 on. Its wild so many of their nicer restaurants serve nearly identical food.

It also just boggles my mind that a company so focused on visitor experience has such disregard for some of the rushes that happen at times. We watched a probably sixty year old woman nearly get trampled at the rope drop to Magic Kingdom yesterday. And the rush of everyone to get out of the park after shows is downright terrifying.

We got to ride everything we wanted to I think but the stress of tryin to juggle lightning lanes through the day along with character meets and reservations and keeping two young kids entertained in 45-80 minute long waits at times was a lot. There was a lot of having to split my wife off to do a Princess meetup (again she’s a huge Disney gal) while us boys wanted to ride rides all day.

Some of the newer rides are amazing though. Resistance and Guardians of the Galaxy are amazing feats of technology and even stuff like Mickey and Minnie’s runaway train was so stunning to look at.

We had a lot of fun but it’ll probably be several years before we go again.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I think with rope drop they try and curb trampling by having a wall of CMs that slowly walk everyone forward. Not sure what happened that almost allowed someone to get trampled. At a certain point, trying to wrangle rope droppers is like herding cats on fire.

I wouldn't give up on reserved dining just yet, just look at tbe more affordable places instead. The Plaza restaurant is a great example of a place that is only slightly more expensive than a quick service, but the quality is vastly superior and you get AC plus service.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/airline-news/2022/12/11/orlando-international-airport-could-run-out-fuel-sunday/10877704002/

Hope no one needs to fly into or out of Orlando in the next several days.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Disappointing Pie posted:

If this is the slower time of year I’d hate to see a busy week at Disney. The weather being so nice might have made it busier than normal I dunno.

It USED to be a slow period but it no longer is, and hasn't been for the better part of the last decade. It was trending this way before Covid, and then post-Covid poo poo's been really out of whack and insane. If you go back 10+ years ago, you had average crowds most of the year, peaks at Spring Break, 4th of July, Thanksgiving, and Christmas-New Years, and several big stretches of "slow season" throughout the year with genuinely light crowds. By average I mean "medium" level of crowds, not what is typical. Today "very busy" is the norm at almost all times.

From what I can tell (the Orlando parks are a huge part of my life), the ONLY two remaining (almost) guaranteed slow periods are August once ALL the kids are back in school through the end of September, and mid January through late February.

For what it's worth, the tourist traffic I was seeing this past week was comparable to Christmas-New Years, AKA the busiest it can possibly get. It was insane.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

how the gently caress do you run out of fuel at a major international airport?

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

We just got back too, stayed at Pop Century too. I don't have a super detailed trip report, but:

Rode Guardians twice, it is really really good. Can't see how it is a flop.

All our food was excellent, our room was nice, the parks were clean and the resort looked great.

Lightning Lane is a lot easier to manage than I thought, but it is still the same situation that people were complaining about. For us, besides the cost, it is even better than Fast Pass. Some days we were able to do 5 Lightning Lanes. We never waited more than 25 minutes for anything. But we met people who thought you could only do one LL a day.

It is clear the parks are still really, really, really understaffed. Many rides went down, sometimes for most of the day, and lines were extremely long just for stuff like Epcot food booths. We waited for 2 hrs on the Tiki Terrace for one drink. One morning the Skyliner line was halfway thru Pop Century because the SL had an issue early, I guess. Most cast members are still amazing but we actually met some rude ones this trip, and I can understand given the huge lines.

Of course, if you are expecting any COVID mitigation at all, Disney is fully Florida. We got in line for drinks behind a woman who said she was wearing a mask because she "woke up with a sore throat" :biglips:.

edit: the new holiday fireworks during the Xmas party were amazing.

alg fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Dec 12, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

alg posted:

We got in line for drinks behind a woman who said she was wearing a mask because she "woke up with a sore throat" :biglips:.

Honestly, that's probably better than you get in most of the US these days