Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
if you're looking at semiconductors outside of the bleeding edge 6 nanometer processes or whatever, there's a ton of it that happens outside of Taiwan, including fabs that already exist in the US

and it's not impossible to set up bleeding edge semicon manufacturing outside of Taiwan, it just takes a long time to construct the fabs, it takes a long time to source the machinery from that one Dutch firm that does all of it, and even once you have all of that, it takes a while longer to then get good fabrication results from a new foundry, because your technicians need to develop the skill, and the process needs to be tuned to specific idiosyncrasies of the particular machines and site that you have

like, if you wanted to have a TSMC-competitive fab in the US as of TYOOL 2022, you should have been starting the process in 2015 or something

finally, these foundries are set up in places like Arizona at least partially because of the geological conditions - you want flat land with few earthquakes, because at the scale of the work involved, even tremors can affect output. That does mean it runs contrary to the availability of water, but it's not "dumb" per se

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
2025 AD
roving bands prey the dried out prairies, hijacking water trains to feed the fabs

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/CBCNews/status/1598670847908233217

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
lol so canada stuck their necks out for nothing

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

mawarannahr posted:

lion rock cafe

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

so this is like a Facebook page or something?

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

HK libs have just become increasingly insufferable since I moved there lol.

Especially now that must of the ones I met are getting to settle down and have kids age, and they've decided that having children in HK will put like an indelible stain on the child's soul or that a Chinese doctor will be involved and cause infant mortality by Communist soul merging.

I expect if HSBC gets in any further financial trouble (seems likely if there's a recession on the near horizon), it'll be all blamed on China

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I walked into a Lion Rock Cafe the other day, asked the kid behind the counter to give me a regular.

"Regular what?" he says.

"Coffee!"

"We don't have coffee. Our mission is to establish a platform for individuals and artists who believe in the same set of universal values of freedom, democracy and justice."

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
COFFEE FLAVORED COFFEE!!!

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

crepeface posted:

lol so canada stuck their necks out for nothing

our precious michaels.......

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I think it came up before, but the KH protestors got pretty much memory holed when they massively misread the room on Jan 6 and I think the government just waited until they got tired and went home.

mawarannahr posted:

so this is like a Facebook page or something?

I think it's a goon project

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Mantis42 posted:

I walked into a Lion Rock Cafe the other day, asked the kid behind the counter to give me a regular.

"Regular what?" he says.

"Coffee!"

"We don't have coffee. Our mission is to establish a platform for individuals and artists who believe in the same set of universal values of freedom, democracy and justice."

they're a cafe with no coffee. what the hell is that? the people's forum in new york where the qiao collective gives talks has coffee

"no see it's like the french salon." oh ok

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOkzLbIgBNc

BrutalistMcDonalds has issued a correction as of 05:43 on Dec 5, 2022

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

this is a book club. i'm unaware of any definition of cafe that isn't a place that sells coffee

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I haven't been posting about domestic Philippine politics that much but the current issues are:

The Marcos-dominated Congress wants to create a "sovereign wealth fund", named after Marcos's mythological narrative of Maharlika, and they're going to use social security and government pension funds to put money into it

it's supposedly trying to emulate the Singapore model, but nobody outside of Congress actually believes in that and everyone else knows that it's just going to be a way to transfer government money into private investments. Maybe someone with a better background on the Malaysia sovereign wealth fund scandal can provide the historical backdrop of that corruption mess

___

With respect to the national budget, the Executive keeps requesting for, and Congress keeps granting, the idea of "confidential funds", which is a certain slice of the budgetary allocation for a certain department that... is confidential. As in there's no specific programming for where the money will be spent on, and no Congressional oversight.

Specifically, they're looking at granting 150 million pesos in confidential funds to the Department of Education, which is currently run by our Vice President, Sara Duterte. Why the education department would need black box funding is a "mystery", but it obviously has to do with the fact that Duterte is running that branch of the government

___

An extra round of tax cuts that were programmed into the tax cut law that Duterte passed in 2017 are scheduled to automatically kick in on January 1 of 2023. The Department of Finance was petitioning Marcos to defer these tax cuts shortly before he assumed office, but he has not responded. We'll see if he caves before the New Year. It does feel a little odd because it's an across-the-board reduction in income taxes (with all of the business-sector-beneficial cuts already in effect for years now), so I'm personally in a position to benefit from it, were it to happen

gradenko_2000 has issued a correction as of 05:54 on Dec 5, 2022

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

they're a cafe with no coffee. what the hell is that? the people's forum in new york where the qiao collective gives talks has coffee

"no see it's like the french salon." oh ok

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOkzLbIgBNc

Whats the deal with that place. It's super luxurious brand new building filled with a bunch of strange leftists in a really fancy neighborhood in hell's kitchen area.

I watched State of Siege in a really nice AV room that no one hosting the screening knew how to use so that was cool I guess

ughhhh has issued a correction as of 06:44 on Dec 5, 2022

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

ughhhh posted:

Whats the deal with that place. It's super luxurious brand new building filled with a bunch of strange leftists in a really fancy neighborhood in hell's kitchen area.

I watched State of Siege in a really nice AV room that no one hosting the screening knew how to use so that was cool I guess
i think an indian tech guy who made a lot of money selling a company gave them the money

this was "a thing" because the funding went through a goldman sachs donor fund (i.e. the account was held at goldman), so some anarchists were saying that the tankies are getting money from goldman sachs!

https://twitter.com/PeoplesForumNYC/status/1473312812944531457

BrutalistMcDonalds has issued a correction as of 07:01 on Dec 5, 2022

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
i saw somebody ask vijay where he was getting money. and he was like "well, you see there's a thing where famous rock stars can go on tour and bring in $100 million and that's just on a single tour"

'so you're saying rock stars give you money.' vijay: "well, yeah basically"

I WONDER WHO THAT IS

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Comrade Axl

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
nope

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
Roger Waters maybe?

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Seatbelts posted:

Is there a good reason the US can't start making semiconductors in America?

And what risk buidling infrastructure in the US or maybe giving people higer paying, those are the reasons we shippee those factories overseas in the firstplace so we wouldn't have to do that anymore

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

is this a hardline splinter from the Milk Tea Alliance

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Atrocious Joe posted:

is this a hardline splinter from the Milk Tea Alliance

my favorite thing about the milk tea alliance is that milk tea was popularized in HK and Myanmar by British colonialism, in Taiwan by Dutch colonialism, and in Thailand it didn’t start until the 1980s and they import everything for it from China anyway.

mawarannahr has issued a correction as of 08:07 on Dec 5, 2022

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

In 2017, Sri Lanka handed over Hambantota International Port to China on a 99-year lease in return for US$1.1 billion, stating that it would be difficult to pay back the loans taken to build the key piece of infrastructure.

“The lease of the loss-making Hambantota Port to a joint-venture led by China Merchants Port, a partially state-owned enterprise, was a pivotal factor in creating the ‘Chinese debt trap’ narrative,” the report said.

“[The loan agreements] clearly indicate that there was no asset seizure or debt for equity swap,” added Moramudali.

As Sri Lanka was dealing with balance of payments issues, leasing the port was “identified as a potential non-debt creating foreign currency inflow which would help offset rising foreign debt repayments,” said the report.

China Merchants Port has continued to invest in the port’s capacity and has attracted foreign investment, the report added, helping to offset Sri Lanka Port Authority losses and also reduce Sri Lanka’s fiscal deficit.

In August, Ministry of Foreign Affairs spokesman Wang Wenbin said that the “so-called Chinese debt trap is a lie made up by the US and some other Western countries to deflect responsibility and blame”.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Centrist Committee posted:

democratic party of china

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

mawarannahr posted:

my favorite thing about the milk tea alliance is that milk tea was popularized in HK and Myanmar by British colonialism, in Taiwan by Dutch colonialism, and in Thailand it didn’t start until the 1980s and they import everything for it from China anyway.

Brb writing up the proposal for the Lager Entente to create a more inclusive colonial products alliance

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

mawarannahr posted:

also it's like the most cringe name ever

lol way to give your anticommunist movement name that sounds like a guild from a 2000s era korean mmorpg

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010
I read a dumb article today by a former Australian government minister complaining about Gough Whitlam and how lefties shouldn't venerate him, citing his love for Mao as one of the reasons. I went and looked up his statement which is a fun read.

Gough Whitlam posted:

Contemporaries and compatriots though they were, Chairman Mao Tse-tung was a man of very different temperament and gifts from Premier Chou En-lai. Whereas Chou was preeminently the skilled administrator and interpreter of China to the world, Mao was the inspiration to the Chinese people themselves. Devoted as he was to Marxist doctrine, the inspiration he gave his people was very much a personal expression of his own character and his unique gifts as a leader. He set examples of courage, fortitude and determination to his people which brought them safely and triumphantly through one of the longest episodes of civil and international conflict the world has known. Under Mao's leadership, and largely because of that leadership, the Chinese people found the purpose and summoned the strength for a prodigious effort of revolutionary struggle. It was to carry the most populous nation on earth out of feudalism and chaos and make it a secure, stable and self-confident member of the world community. No man has so embodied the aspirations of a great people and given in equal measure practical and spiritual impetus to a revolutionary movement as did Mao Tse-tung during his long and remarkable life- 50 years as a leader of the Chinese people, 40 years as head of the Chinese Communist Party, and 27 years as leader of the Chinese State.

I have visited his country 3 times and on my second visit in 1973 had the honour to be received by him in Peking. We had a most useful and absorbing conversation. His knowledge of Australia was considerable. No one who visited his country could be in any doubt of the veneration in which he was held by the people. It was an affection which grew rather than diminished with time. He was the authentic father of his people and the new China. His courage, his sagacity, his gifts as a writer and interpreter of Chinese philosophy and civilisation, and his extraordinary stature as national leader have ensured that his influence will outlast his death; that the Chinese people, far from discovering a vacuum in their national life, will take renewed inspiration from the memory of his great achievements. On behalf of my colleagues and the Australian Labor Party, I extend to the Chinese people and Government our sympathy in the loss they have sustained.

more amusing was that then-Prime Minister Malcolm Fraser made a similar statement

Malcolm Fraser posted:

Mao Tse-tung devoted his life to the vision of a rigorously egalitarian society, and, in pursuit of that vision, he mobilised the vast energies of the Chinese people. For the first time in many decades Mao Tse-tung gave China an effective administration, restored a country ravaged by civil war and secured the basic necessities of life to China's people. He sought for China self-reliance. Under his leadership China assumed a major role in world affairs.

Mao Tse-tung 's conception of the desirable organisation of a society was not and is not ours, but he achieved peace internally and respect for China. He came to symbolise the new China for his own people and for the world. In recent years under his leadership China began to adjust her ideological objectives to the realities of world power. His meeting in 1972 with the President of the United States of America was a significant and deliberate step in that process. For Australians it is of considerable significance that as China's supreme leader he lent his personal authority to the establishment and further development of China's relations with Australia. In the closing years of his life important steps were taken in the improvement of friendship and mutual understanding between China and Australia-

The loss of Mao Tse-tung will be deeply mourned by the Chinese people. I have publicly expressed on behalf of the Australian people my sympathy for their loss, and was first to sign the book of condolence in Canberra. The Australian Ambassador in Peking has laid wreaths as a formal act of condolence. I am sure this House would wish to place on record its sympathy for the Chinese people in their loss. I therefore move:

That this House records its sincere regret at the death of Chairman Mao Tse-tung, expresses to the people of China profound regret and tenders its deep sympathy to his family in their bereavement.

I live in hope for the day the wheel turns and the Australian government has bipartisan respect for the greatness of Chairman Mao once again

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
the colonial origins aside, naming your democracy-loving movement after a goddamn middle-class sweet drink associated with conspicuous consumption loving sucks rear end. It's just revelatory that the appeal of the group is to nothing more than 20something computer-touchers and adolescent computer-toucher-aspirants

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

the colonial origins aside, naming your democracy-loving movement after a goddamn middle-class sweet drink associated with conspicuous consumption loving sucks rear end. It's just revelatory that the appeal of the group is to nothing more than 20something computer-touchers and adolescent computer-toucher-aspirants

it could be worse. similar class forces in Ukraine after 2014 came together into a group that named themselves after the Horde from World of Warcraft.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

The Monster Energy Fellowship for Democracy

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

gradenko_2000 posted:

It's the aspirational capitalist pointdexter class like Warren supporters

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Bubble tea is just sugar+ rice starch. It's super cheap to make it at home. I cook them all the time. It has some of the highest street price to cost ratio. It's essentially the Asian version of $10 Starbuck latte (make sure you come up with a really long name to justify the extra 2 dollar makeup.)

People who came up with the Bubble Tea name obviously was ignorant to the role of sugar as the original oil in the early slavery and colonial systdms.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

crepeface posted:

Roger Waters maybe?
i mean i dunno it could be. it's probably not bono

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
bono more like bozo

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

https://nypost.com/2017/06/28/that-time-bono-went-to-war-against-the-ira/

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

gradenko_2000 posted:

also, supporting the most addictive and unhealthiest food known to man to cripple national healthcare systems is peak liberal behavior

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
if the lion rock cafe served milk tea, that'd at least be a drink

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seatbelts
Mar 29, 2010

KomradeX posted:

And what risk buidling infrastructure in the US or maybe giving people higer paying, those are the reasons we shippee those factories overseas in the firstplace so we wouldn't have to do that anymore

I've decided this is the reason.

I always forget corruption and embezzlement in the form of capitalism is just called profits and good business.