Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PraxxisParadoX
Jan 24, 2004
bittah.com
Pillbug
Honestly I feel like I started doing much better in champions level missions when I stopped trying to be thoughtful and tactical and got far more aggressive. I never bring a vestal, and rely on muskateer/arb healing only. My usual setup is shieldbreaker/man at arms/bounty hunter/arb. The man at arms is there primarily for bolster, with guard being useful situationally. But mostly it's about burning down whatever needs burning down as quickly as possible. If I'm low on health I target high damage dealers, or if I'm stress limited those guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

A jargogle posted:

Do you really need to optimise it that hard to survive a hard mission?

Yeah, you sorta have to. All the little percentages and numbers adds up fast. If you're short on gold for purchasing hero upgrades then bring an antiquarian on a few missions and make sure she loots all the curios. I brought back 35000 the other day on a medium mission where I also found the secret room.

Some of my favorite comps:

Grave robber, Vestal, Abom, Hellion.
Keep Abom in human form and cycle the stun and blight skill.
Grave robber is your main damage dealer with lunge/shadowfade.
Vestal is your standard heal/stunner/zapper setup.
Hellion must have iron swan to deal with rank 4. Use YAWP! sparingly as it reduces her damage a lot.

Arbalast/Jester/BH/Occultist.
Occultist stuns, marks for Arba/BH and heal non-critical damage
Arbalast suppresses, heal death's door damage and does damage.
Jester buffs, heals stress and can help with bleeds or a big finisher.
BH is your primary damage dealer but also helps out with stuns or marks if the occultist is busy with other stuff.

Plague Doctor/BH/Houndmaster/Flagellant (can be replaced by hellion or occultist)
PD stuns and heals.
BH primarily deals damage but can also help with stuns if the other heroes miss.
Houndmaster stuns, marks and deals damage. The HM mark is probably the best in the game.
Flag heals and applies bleeds.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Champion level missions are a huge difficulty jump, you should do them as little as possible. Your level 5 characters should only have to do them once to get to level 6 - look at their exact XP numbers to see what length of mission they need. If you can get one of the events like Silence in the Crypts or Gentle Tide to make the mission easier, that's a good time to do it.

POWELL CURES KIDS
Aug 26, 2016

A jargogle posted:

Hey. Looking for some gameplay advice. Being playing DD1 on darkest difficulty. On the verge of quitting.

You really don't want to go in with less than fully maxed out gear and abilities, so in terms of money management it's best to save up to max out a few characters then spread poo poo around for lower level dudes--easier dungeons are easier to clear if you're behind a level on gear or abilities anyways. Once you get a few level 6 dudes try to send in just 1 or 2 level 5 guys to get babysitted. I'll echo other people's advice and say that tanking, even with a MAA, is pretty unreliable, and your focus should generally be blowing poo poo up and staying on the offense more than healing and defense. And accuracy is a must. Focus Rings are drat near the best trinkets in the game, and I pretty much always put them on everybody who kills poo poo--whiffing a stun, a debuff, or a big hit is one fast trick to lose a fight. There's usually a good amount of PROT in champ dungeons, so a Shieldbreaker, DOT factory, or armor debuffer are great to have. Aim to clean out the Ruins and the Weald first, because for my money they hand out the best boss items, particularly for your ranged guys.

In terms of DD runs, they were created by sadistic beasts who rose from Hell to drink your suffering. I actually think the first one is the hardest--it churns out a ton of stress, and Jesters are squishy so I'm reluctant to bring one there. Lots of heavy bleeds, be ready to get shuffled a lot, don't be afraid to pop your camp early because I feel like the boss in there is fairly manageable compared to the rest of the dungeon.

Your team comps and strategy look pretty good, though I'd focus Crusaders more on nuking poo poo with Holy Lance in dance parties or stunning, and likewise it's better to keep Bounty Hunters swinging--let somebody else put out marks and then marvel as your medieval fantasy Batman dishes out huge numbers. Also, mark parties aside, gently caress Occultists. Healing needs to be reliable. Grab a lot of Vestals and get them levelled up quick. The back ranks are (generally) more dangerous, so make sure you can reach them. It's usually faster to just kill them in place then spend an action pulling them out of position first, particularly since so many of those guys have abilities to push themselves right back or have move resistance. Your mileage on that may vary, though.

And always bring a Leper. He does weird, lovely beat poetry and he makes a funny face when he attacks.

(Do not always bring a Leper.)

:xcom:

Chamale posted:

Champion level missions are a huge difficulty jump, you should do them as little as possible. Your level 5 characters should only have to do them once to get to level 6 - look at their exact XP numbers to see what length of mission they need. If you can get one of the events like Silence in the Crypts or Gentle Tide to make the mission easier, that's a good time to do it.

This, right here, and in particular the bolded part. Champion dungeons aren't there to be done--they are there to be endured, and you should limit your exposure to them as much as possible. Here's the XP rewards for Veteran dungeons:

Short: 4 XP
Medium: 6 XP
Long/Boss: 8 XP

Start keeping an eye on your XP once you hit Veteran. Short Champion dungeons, which ideally are the only ones you'll be tackling, give 8 XP, and your dudes hit level 6 at 48 XP, so the objective is to get your characters over 40 XP with their last Veteran run so you can max them out with only one champ run. XP. XP. XP? XP.

Jetrauben posted:

I'm still unable to beat the Exemplar and honestly I'm about this close to giving up on the game. I am clearly not Gud enough and burning three hours at a time only to lose to the Exemplar basically regardless of party just...feels bad, especially because I'll have to do it again on the Mountain?

You 100% need a taunt for the Exemplar to draw Fall away from whoever gets hit with a combo token. I never do a run without a Leper, a Hellion, or a MAA, and it's mostly because of this fight. Burst the shrine down as fast as possible, because the Exemplar will sacrifice it after the shrine's second turn and pick up some beefy ripostes and a heal. Apart from that, save up some big damage items--ichor bombs and poo poo, the grenade thingies you get from Academic's Studies are the best and should be kept for the Exemplar--and a few healing items/Holy Waters, which you should spread out across your team so you have a few different people who can throw out emergency heals or remove combo tokens. Apart from that, just burn the fucker down as fast as you can. You don't wanna get stuck in a death spiral where you're scraping just to keep the team alive, so the faster you can kill his cheating, two-turning, psychotic-nuking rear end and get the gently caress out of there the better. DOTs and abilities to bypass death resistance are a must, because his is crazy high and it's better not to waste an item slot on that weird rear end goop which lowers it. Depending on how hard the RNG fucks you he's usually the "real" final boss, so don't feel that bad if he loving smears you. Part of DD's unique charm is that you can do everything right and still end up scrabbling to prevent a wipe, so I guess I would also add the philosophical advice that you must make failure your friend and learn to embrace it. Namaste.

POWELL CURES KIDS fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Nov 30, 2022

POWELL CURES KIDS
Aug 26, 2016

oh my god i have played both of these loving games incredibly way too loving much

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
:same:
You've just saved me an extensive effort post of nearly the exact same advice lol.

Also, speed and dodge become a real bitch at champion difficulty, that's why it becomes so hard. The standard "kill things before they damage your guys" healing technique gets derailed when multiple enemies act before you, and the TTK of mooks starts to jump up in turns.

POWELL CURES KIDS
Aug 26, 2016

Dork solidarity. :hehe:

Yeah, speed is huge. Going first versus going second is the difference between bursting down a tough enemy, throwing on DOT ticks, and setting up big hits, or eating debuffs, spending turns healing off damage, and feeling super gross because some weird loving pig demon got fluids on you. If the game had an Adderall item I'd be chopping it up and forcing my dudes to snort it until their noses bleed.

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(
Being dissapointed in DD2 made me restart DD1, just got to champion levels again and god loving dammit I still hate the loving Weald and its godawful old mushroom sniffing grannies and lovely viragos.

POWELL CURES KIDS
Aug 26, 2016

Viragos and their huge dodge and their goddamn corpse mushrooms can burn in hell. The best strategy for handling them is actually psychological. If you condition yourself to enjoy watching them die--possibly through a Pavolovian system, where you're given a treat every time you kill one--you can end up in a mental space where you're actually glad when they turn up. The secret third healthbar in Darkest Dungeon is the profound rage you experience playing it.

Related to nothing, I'm coming around on the Leper in DD2. You have to build around him harder than a MAA or a Hellion--and I do still prefer them, particularly the Hellion--but if your team doesn't have to compete too much for combo tokens and you find ways to get him critting, he does a little bit of everything juuuuuust well enough to do the job right. He's an absolute gem against the Tangle and Foetor bosses, particularly the latter. I still think they need to add a lot more weird artsy bullshit for him to say, and I still think he has an abnormally large, excessively circumcised penis. I will continue to mention this every time he comes up.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Leper is great in DD2. It's everything fun about Leppin (sans being able to quad Lep).

Chop can hit like a truck, because of this he benefits greatly from str or crit tokens. Hew, the cousin of Chop, will connect so long as one target has a combo token, strips tokens, rips through stealth, etc.

Withstand is my favorite turn filler. Don't know what to do? Pop withstand. Lots of tanking, block tokens up the wazoo, and extra resists. Turns him into an absolute unit that lays sick rhymes as enemies bounce off his glorious golden abs. Solemnity is your recovery tool, tons of health and stress heal. Neither of his stress heals have thresholds, use em near the end of fights to strip off the last few points of stress before you move on.

Intimidate and revenge are his rank 1 only skills, but you'll want him there anyway. A quicker Highwayman can PBS the Leper into rank 1 to set this up. I really like Intimidate; with the right path and trinket it will give taunt, weaken the target, give vulnerable AND does a bit of damage to boot! This is pretty good action economy. Best of all, the taunt still procs if you whiff so if you're worried you'll miss use this for the taunt and potential debuff. Purge is your knockback and corpse clear. Good for knocking librarian books behind him or keeping baby out of rank 1.also clears corpses.

Reflection helps offset lepers weakness, but it's major appeal is a stress heal that always works and doesn't have limited uses. I prefer other workarounds for blind but it doesn't hurt, and upgraded will clear combo tokens which few skills can do. Ruin is a ton of fun because it procs every time you get hit but you're a gigachad that gets chipped for barely any dmg so many cleave attacks will pile up tons of cumulative damage. Revenge is the version that doesn't rely on getting hit, there's also a few trinkets that convert vulnerable tokens into other things which works great here.

Break is your armor piercing attack, it's good but I always forget to take it when it would be useful. Bash is great for locking down a target that really didn't want to be stuck in rank 1 like heralds or skivvers.

Tempest makes Leper go from hitting like a truck to hitting like a train. The malus isn't really that bad with the lepers self sustain, and you can just lean hard into pure damage. Poet I think it's underrated and synergies with simple flower.it's even more self sustain and good to bait Leviathan into wasting grabs on him. Monarch is a bit more tricky but gets vuln on intimidate and gets roided out vs cosmic enemies. Since those are the big fights anyway the maluses aren't as bad.

POWELL CURES KIDS
Aug 26, 2016

i suspect the Leper will remain a point of contention between us so long as we are Dorks Who Post About Video Games. I am slowly moving closer to your position. With the right trinkets and the time to do good set-up, the dude can absolutely annihilate poo poo. I think I've seen crits in the 70s, a few times? And even up into the 90s? That's some serious not loving around damage.

But it's also way more than you need in most cases, and the Hellion can pump out enough damage and soak enough hurt without all the pain in the rear end set-up. In the majority of cases, you're not going to have the need or time (hopefully) to set up a trademark monster Chop. He's absolutely fantastic for bosses, when there's the opportunity and the need to prep an Armageddon hit--homeboy can end a long fight. And even Tempest has decent tanking utility, which is why I usually run him with it. HP malus or not, he'll still be beefy enough to pull heat from the Exemplar while the rest of the team burns it down and, more importantly, does not get brutally murdered.

Only I generally need consistency, because the priority in most fights is finishing before you get too hosed up. Between his rock bottom speed and the swingy nature of his damage he's not great at that. In the Foetor, as a fr'instance, you're looking to clear smaller enemies as fast as possible and then detonate the Lords before they get too many attacks off. The Leper often doesn't fit that bill. I'd rather do every fight adequate than some fights great and some fights lovely.

MAA can tank better while also putting some damage, and the Hellion can pull fire with more reliability and more flexibility for your team, while also generating quick damage that's enough for what you need. The Leper has the versatility to always be useful, but my priority isn't versatility, it's specializing so I can get poo poo done quick and clean. He's phenomenal in every boss fight except the Librarian, but even if you're hitting every boss you can (which you loving should, pussy) that's not a large enough portion of the time. I'm using him more consistently, but for actually getting poo poo done the Hellion does everything just as well or better, because she does it faster, and also she has way sicker animations.

Anyways, the Leper has a fat hog but it looks weird.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I played through Darkest Dungeon on Darkest difficulty with no deaths, and for some reason I never went into the Warrens. The rewards just weren't appealing, and eventually my characters were all too strong to do the boss missions. I feel like the Ruins are the easiest of the four areas, but I don't know which of the others is the hardest. Maybe the Weald - the one-hit-killing Giant is scary, and the Hag is a brutal battle.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Part of the issue is that the DD2 Hellion is a bit overtuned compared to other heroes. We've discussed this at length in the discord. It's really easy to remove winded tokens and generate taunt. But I am loathe to have them just up and nerf her down. I believe in zero sum balancing-make it tougher to remove winded tokens but make her Bleed skills more useful.

For the Leper a few little things that would help would be to buff the mastered versions of intimidate, purge, and ruin. They don't really add much and in the case of ruin there's better ways to implement it than a forced Bleed to trigger bonus dmg.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
DD2 Hellion is nerfed and feels sane now. MAA is more broken than either tank. Self buffs are more effective than than debuffs and MAA can buff himself and others well. Plus, he doesn't trade much for those abilities.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I wouldn't say he's broken, he's just fine. He doesn't have the damage output of Hellion or Leper and being able to guard a specific hero isn't as useful as just having taunt tokens already. His heals need more setup to work and his stress heal, while useful, only works at 5+ stress.

My favorite thing about him is how Command feels custom made for the Leper. Leper with a str token will do more dmg than a cumulative blind Leper+MaA crush will do on average anyway.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

The other tanks have higher highs but none of the utility that MAA has.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord
Gonna throw my voice in with the rest of the chorus re: Exemplar. It has that 'have your cake and eat it too' air to it, re: we're going to give you any combination of heroes you want this time around, way less hidebound to specific types of party synergy bc of the 'til death do us part' conceit, but you still need very specific heroes in your roster with very specific talents (or, alternatively, very specific combat items) if you're gonna stand a chance. And taking chances has bit me on the rear end a few too many times to make me excited for a push to the third biome. The RNG bullshit has ceased to be fun and is more about pure frustration. The bad kind of frustration, the kind that makes me wonder why I'm ever wasting my time on a third biome. It encourages grinding more than it does taking risks, and has never really invoked the same kind of risk/reward that the first game did, unless it's on accident.

And that's ultimately my issue with DDII: the fun to frustration ratio. Frustration topples very quickly into outright annoyance, which is the final arbiter of whether or not a game feels like it's challenging, or just being difficult for difficulty's sake. ATM, DDII is more difficult for difficulty's sake.

It's not as difficult to solve relationship problems between heroes now, even though I hear that's getting an overhaul soon (hopefully for the better), but as someone else pointed out, it really does feel like they're playing to their Get Gud audience more than anyone else. Runs feel way less satisfying than they did in I, and as someone who deeply resents losing progress after a significant amount of playtime, I am actively discouraged by the RNG bullshit to do what the devs clearly want me to do, which, obviously, is advance. Kudos to people who enjoy it and who can get past the Exemplar, but I mostly just find it unrewarding, and I don't appreciate feeling like the game is wasting my time if I don't do these Very Specific Things.

Which is unfortunate, because by and large I do actually like the guts of the game. I don't want to be annoyed or frustrated, but if I think of what I feel the most when playing DDII, those two words rise to the top more than any others.

Another thing is their approach to characters-- which I like, but it feels like they're hamstringing themselves by trying too hard to adhere to 1's method of approaching the cast.

Like, I actually really appreciate the shift to making them more like characters, and less like blank slates with a skeletal/archetypal framework that only ever gets fleshed out with Trinket quotes/effects, and Afflicted combat barks-- many of which I just outright never saw, because I got really good advice on how to survive before I ever even started playing the game. I didn't mind filling in the blanks on characterization in 1, because that was actively being encouraged. In 2, it's really not, so the quirk rotation especially feels like a hanger-on that needs a lot more thought put into it, ie: there is still a cycle of quirks the character undergoes with each loop, but they're a lot more personalized to who that character is at their base. OR, I'm going to need some kind of dialogue bark to distinguish that it's deliberately out of character, ex: If Audrey rolls Austere, I'm really gonna need her to remark on this being 'rather unlike my usual, but I'll try anything once.'

I don't feel like I'm asking for anything major, here, either. Just way less playing footsie with nostalgia for the first game, and more leaning into their vision for who these people are. The more backstory and unique barks you give me, the way less willing I am to fill in blanks that you as writers need to now be filling.

I also genuinely hope barks become more personalized. There are far too many generic lines of dialogue shared between heroes (I am so tired of seeing them shout BUFFOON at themselves and/or clouds and/or whatever the gently caress is going on), and it again runs afoul of playing footsie with the first game's narrative shortcuts when those shortcuts haven't been earned. At the moment, it just looks lazy.

Old Boot fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Dec 4, 2022

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Honestly my biggest complaint is that there's not nearly enough new heroes, and the one we got feels like a mediocre modded hero you'd see in DD1- not blatantly overpowered but kludged into this weird niche.

And it's unlikely the release will see more than 2 additional heroes at this point, with at least one of them another existing hero from DD1. Don't get me wrong, I'm nostalgic for the original roster and I get the 3D platform and story missions make each new hero a big undertaking compared to the first game (where modders got good at adding new heroes, to the point you could easily have 40+ new hero types on top of the dozen plus in the game already.

But here's an opportunity to add something new that dovetails with the new mysterious story, and they hold back.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord
Yeah I really want to like the Runaway, I do, but 'mediocre modded hero' is a good way of putting it, and the missed opportunity has definitely stood out. It's part of what I mean by 'I need this more personalized'-- there's a lot of room for the characters to remark on what's happening to them in ways that drive the story (even just a 'my god I'm tired of meeting like this' when everyone piles back into the carriage), and the absence atm is pretty noticeable.

EDIT: the encounter screens also feel really arbitrary regardless of quirks. A character wobbling from 'let's kill everyone' at an assistance encounter to 'look at the struggles of The People we should help them' just two encounters later isn't interesting, it's just another point of annoyance, ala the 'YOU STOLE MY KILL' and wildly oscillating "banter" someone else mentioned earlier in the thread. The RNG doesn't really add any flavor, it just makes things kooky and, well, random, for no other reason than Because RNG.

Old Boot fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Dec 4, 2022

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Re: DD2
Pros:
I like the runaway now. I liked her before but she feels worth it

Cultists enemies are way more interesting

Trinkets aren't as bad as previewed. The new trinkets have grown on me

The candle mechanic is blah but it makes me appreciate items more

There's still a bunch of dumb abilities but with new trinkets and nerfed classes, team variety feels better. Its feels okay to use heroes outside of being max damage or max support roles

Cons:
Risk vs Reward. Trinkets matter but are largely random outside of bosses and cultists. Some runs have harder encounters than others but rewards are still random.

Exploration and interactions are boring. There's a game, Death Road to Canada, that makes road encounters fun while creating interesting character identities. There's no better example of how to do what DD2 should be doing. Random dialogue choices at encounters is infuriating and has screwed me more than enemies in this game. The road should be interesting because its a large part of playing but its the most boring part. Dialogue or path randomness have invalided my sacrifices more than legit challenge.

Relationships are so random, I largely ignore them. Good or bad, relationships don't matter if I'm making good decisions. If anything, they piss me off when one pair is healing and buffing each other non stop while everyone else dies.

I fear the meltdown low health more than getting a negative relationship.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Good affinities serve as a big force multiplier which is why I'm a little worried when they overhaul relationships. People whine about heal refusals and kill steal complaints but there are simple workarounds for that (a special icon that pops up at the beginning of the round warning the player that the hero will do a negative act out bark). This gives you the choice to risk it or perhaps take a different action that round. Another compromise is having heroes not block friendly actions but rather get modifiers; a heal being much more effective on a heroes boyfriend, a buff being less effective if a jealous hero is whining about others.

Another gripe I had is they greatly flattened out granular progress compared to the first game. In DD1 you had 5 weapon tiers that served as your base weapon/crit/spd value then 5 skill tiers that scaled to base dmg by a % and also determined accuracy, heal efficacy, and DoT dmg This gave a decent amount of variation in the efficacy of a given skill; from weapon 1/skill 1 to weapon 2/skill 3 to weapon 4/skill 5 to weapon 5/skill 5 through the course of their career, for example. But now damage doesn't scale to base values anymore, instead each skill does specific damage itself which goes up with mastery. And to that end, mastery is very binary, with a lot of skills either a slam pick for mastery due to their utility (Bolster, inspiring tune, toe to toe, indiscriminate science, etc) and roughly a third of them being unimpressively negligible when mastered (shadow fade, Intimidate, Command, battle Ballad, etc). While there is nice improvement to trinkets, including some that modify specific skills in interesting ways, they don't affect mastery specifically.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord
RIP battle ballad, your crit stacking will be missed.

To be clear, when I complain about the generic barks, it's mostly just that: it's generic.

I don't actually mind the interruptions that much, so I'm in the same boat re: overhaul concerns. There's a dynamism to it that I'm into, and I think there's something there worth padding out, but the way it is now has that Tastes like RNG feel that continues to bother me when combat devolves into petty whining. The characters may as well just be saying to each other 'hello I am a combat mechanic' and nothing else. So my complaint is less about the intent of the system and more the substance that's been put into it, presently.

Aside, I did get a kick out of the earlier build's jankiness at times, tho specifically wrt a pissed off Occultist just mercilessly ripping on a Grave Robber as she was chaining Death Doors/Meltdowns for 10+ rounds, but only because it was unintentionally the most vicious character interaction I've ever seen in my life.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

The barks and dialogue system in DDII are really, really good, I think it's the game's greatest strength. The rest of it just isn't as fun as the first game.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Chamale posted:

The barks and dialogue system in DDII are really, really good, I think it's the game's greatest strength. The rest of it just isn't as fun as the first game.

It is. It's marvelously on-point when the characters are being characterized (I will always laugh at MAA pausing combat to say SO, LET GRANDPA TELL YOU SOME WAR STORIES, for example). It's when they're pulling from generic lines that everyone says at one point or another (kill stealing, "buffoon!!", etc) that it feels annoying/"hello I am a combat/road banter mechanic."

POWELL CURES KIDS
Aug 26, 2016

Sluice feels funky. I consistently miss fights, because the whole party constantly wants to run, and despite a good few attempts I've never picked up anything but 16 relics from the Academic's Studies. The pigs are frightening and they already took all the good poo poo.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Think of sluice as a bonus stage. It's quite short but give you an opportunity to get a few extra mastery points and a trinket or two. It's short and sweet but with dens and treasure nodes you can leave with quite a bit if you're lucky.

I find it a slam pick on the first region as you can snap up some more mastery points which makes doing an early lair fight a lot more feasible. And doing that region 1 lair fight successfully means the treasure and trophy gets much more of an impact on your overall run.

POWELL CURES KIDS
Aug 26, 2016

Panfilo posted:

Think of sluice as a bonus stage. It's quite short but give you an opportunity to get a few extra mastery points and a trinket or two. It's short and sweet but with dens and treasure nodes you can leave with quite a bit if you're lucky.

I find it a slam pick on the first region as you can snap up some more mastery points which makes doing an early lair fight a lot more feasible. And doing that region 1 lair fight successfully means the treasure and trophy gets much more of an impact on your overall run.

Sluice is a cute little bonus stage, and I'll always take it, but the quirks I mentioned do get annoying. Missing fights and bogus Studies suck.

My two cents, apart from the other stuff I mentioned: make it a lot more brutal, and increase the reliable payout just a hair. You should be thinking twice before you go for it. Usual scaling applies based on when you go in, but the relative difficulty should be like a high-level Warrens run from the first game. Make the last fight before the Inn a Lair, with the usual rewards--a mastery point and some good loot if you clear it out--and shoot up Wilbur with (even more) steroids to fill the boss slot. As things stand it's an automatic go, and short and simple enough that I save my inn consumables for the next biome.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I wouldn't mind a boss fight in there, and higher risk reward. Right now I feel like you're leaving money on the table not going during a run (it's a few more candles too as a reward).

But then again I'm kind of a masochist and love going to academics studies even though you can get the most crippling and bullshit outcomes on a bad roll. Shattered Will, Cowardly Hellion/Leper, Doomsayer etc are really nasty. But there's also a chance to get a few of the very best consumables in the game or very powerful trinkets. And I feel like Shambler is in a good spot balance wise (grognards on the discord think he's too easy :stonk:)

temple
Jul 29, 2006

This sounds really good until I got to the curse/bless part

quote:

The Void Between Us”
M7 Relationship System Update

Just in time for the holidays!

Tomorrow’s update focuses exclusively on a rework of the Relationship & Affinity systems! The complexity and number of variables at work in these systems make them very difficult to model, so we want to turn this over to you and see what shakes out!

This update will remain on the Experimental Branch until early January. The team will be back at full strength then, and we’ll have had a chance to garner your thoughts, impressions, and critiques of the new system. We’ll make adjustments and tuning prior to moving the update to the retail (default) branch. We hope you enjoy it over the break!

The preponderance of changes can be broken into three broad categories:

1) Stress: Resolve will be tested anew!
Stress builds normally over the course of play, but we have brought back the tension of the original Darkest Dungeon's coin-flip results.

At max stress, a hero will most likely have a meltdown, but there is a chance they can become Resolute instead! Unlike DD1, Meltdown and Resolute are not enduring statuses. Rather they are moments of impact that can affect health, affinity, and character status.

Quirks, trinkets, and other factors can influence a character’s chance of becoming resolute.

2) Affinity: Why can’t we be friends?
We, along with many of you in the community, recognized that the previous system was a little too intrusive and not tactical enough. Our goal in this redesign has been to reduce the drag on play that affinity gains/losses presented, and expose some strategic telegraphing to you in combat.

All ‘random’ after-the-fact affinity gains/losses in combat have been removed.

Telegraphing: When selecting an action in combat, if the result will change affinity with another hero, then you will notice that change is telegraphed via an icon on said hero. This allows for more tactical considerations prior to executing the move. Dismas is bleeding out, but you want to use the Man-at-Arms to guard someone else? Dismas will make his displeasure very clear! In this way, we allow you to more actively sculpt your relationships through play. Our hope is that this new strategy vector will gently encourage the occasional suboptimal skill choice in favor of Affinity sculpting.

Affinity Scale: There is no more ‘negative Affinity’ - you either gain Affinity or lose it. Affinity is now measured in 0-20 pips, with the lower numbers indicating a poor or acrimonious leaning, while higher numbers represent a positive vibe between the heroes in question. The scale is broken up into 5 tranches, each labeled, so it’s easy to see how your people are feeling about each other.

3) Relationships: ‘Til the Inn do us part…

Relationships can now only form at the Inn, and last for the entire next region.

After arriving at the Inn, you’ll want to purchase and/or use your rest items to pump up your heroes’ affinities prior to hitting the ‘Rest’ button. You will then be shown what we’re calling the ‘embark screen’ where you’ll see the heroes looking out at the upcoming region. Any relationships that formed overnight will be presented here via click-to-reveal. High or low Affinity heroes have the greatest likelihood of forming relationships of the corresponding polarity, but it’s not guaranteed.

When two heroes enter into a relationship, one skill from each of their kits is selected and modified based on the relationship.

Negative relationships ‘curse’ skills - locking them to your skillbar in combat and placing a detrimental effect on the skill. Need to heal? Too bad Battlefield Medicine will cause stress to the envious Man-at-Arms!

Positive Relationships ‘bless’ skills, making them extra powerful with partner-centric effects like tokens, stress heals, buffs, etc. Thanks to a respectful relationship with the Runaway, the Leper’s Chop now has a chance to give her a STR token every time you use it!

This change essentially strips out the majority of random act-outs (ie. combat interruptions) and reintroduces them in a more tactically engaging way. You now have the ability to leverage a positive relationship to incredible effect, or mitigate a negative one.

Small-scale random relationship act-outs have been removed, effectively replaced by the skill blessing/cursing. However, positive relationships have two themed signature ‘big deal’ act outs each. They are powerful, and will interrupt combat with potentially expedition-saving impacts.

Because relationships last only for one region and then have a chance to reform at the next Inn, affinity still matters. Arriving at the Inn with low affinity between two heroes who are in a positive relationship will most likely result in a new, negative relationship forming.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I really liked the random act-outs and the conversations the characters could have as a result. It sounds like they're removing a lot of the random element, possibly too much of it.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

did they ever fix the generally hosed-up controller support?

edit: not for the sequel, DD1

POWELL CURES KIDS
Aug 26, 2016

I've bitched before and will no doubt bitch again, but gently caress, I legitimately hate that you can get to a location and have nobody willing to fight. Missing out on an animal den because all 4 of your dudes are feeling jumpy isn't great.

Brief trip report on the relationship changes: rough sailing. A negative relationship can trigger for a region even when both characters are neutral with each other, and it'll now lock both of them into carrying around 1 skill with a negative debuff against the other. It gives you some more control over it, which I like, and you can actually chain it for some neat bonuses now and then; having somebody else able to trigger the MAA's taunt is nifty, and putting a blind on somebody with that one trinket that gives you attack tokens is cool. Forcing you to use skills you might otherwise not use is alright enough. But (particularly if a character triggers more than one negative relationship) you can get hosed bad on your skill rotation, and the fact that it triggers for the Mountain can be a breathtaking gently caress you. It now seems harder to push relationships into positive territory, and the penalties for neutral/negative are tough, so on the balance this last patch makes things a good bit harder.

Two cents, unasked-for but free.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I just played the new experimental patch after not playing for a couple months. I like the upgrade system a lot, it gives me a lot more choice on what kind of party I want instead of figuring out which ones the random quirk generator decided to make playable. I like the way the new relationship system gives buffs and debuffs to certain skills, and it still has an element of randomness in battle, but I hate the way two characters can go from best friends to archenemies as the result of a random roll.

The scene where the party looks out at the upcoming region is beautiful, that's a great use of the move to 3D.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

The pre-region scene and the relationship-skill change is nice. I hope they build ambience like that and make driving/exploration deeper.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I had two characters die fighting The Child. My Surgeon plague doctor and Deadeye grave robber managed to get through the rest of the area, even defeating a Cultist encounter. The Surgeon fought like a hellion, hacking through enemies with her knife and getting crits exactly when needed. As a result of this brave adventure, these two characters loving hated each other. I feel like having a miraculous victory together should be worth a few more affinity points.

If you can find the right trinkets, an all-hate party could be an extremely effective strategy. I found the Footman's Grog and gave it to my new Man-At-Arms, because everyone in the party hated him, and the Grog turns weaknesses into strengths. I didn't have to worry about stress management, and defeated the Chapter 3 boss on the first try. I think they made him easier, which is great, because the Chapter 2 boss is so hard that it made me quit the game entirely for a while.

I found myself mousing over every healing move each turn to see if it could result in any affinity gain, it would be nice if they put an icon over the move saying "Affinity gain is possible with this move this turn."

POWELL CURES KIDS
Aug 26, 2016

You can apparently get negative relationship modifiers even if both characters are super, duper cool with each other. I just had a PD and a Jester turn Resentful with 19/20 affinity. Not sure how I feel about that one.

e: Kind of brings me along to a second point, which is that if you can get a couple dudes that are feuding up to 20/20, I feel like that should the negative relationship.

POWELL CURES KIDS fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Dec 22, 2022

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
got this on egs with a coupon, was reading about the plague doctor for managing stress, find out she was nerfed :/

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
It was kind of OP in its initial form and Ounce of Prevention is still serviceable in buffing resists (though perhaps rather overshadowed by even better skills she can do in the meantime). In spite of that nerf, Plague Doctor can still:

-Land a Bleed with decent crit chance, particularly with Surgeon Path

-Two blight skills that can be augmented in damage and duration via trinkets, Alchemist path can pretty much ignore most enemy blight resist you'll face.

-Her classic Battlefield Medicine which does much more healing in the sequel.

-A heal which scales off buffs/debuffs removed from the target, particularly useful to clear stun tokens, and heroes with negative quirks that can pile on negative tokens easily.

-Frontload the cumulative DoT damage built up on a target which can be hugely effective vs bosses when you have a team stacking up DoT the whole time.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
yeah, im liking her a lot, incision is so good it's just having something to manage stress whole party wide would really help out starting out the game
Im enjoying the sequel's structure a lot more, the wagon driving is kinda annoying but once I figured you can auto drive and just adjust the direction it became much more manageable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

I played the early access of DD2 for a bit when it came out, then checked out because it didn't have a lot of content yet at the time and I wanted to keep it fresh. Would now be a good time to jump back in ? I understand there's 3 bosses now and they did a balance pass recently ? I remember you had to pigeon hole yourself pretty hard in the original release with regards to stress healing skills, not sure how the more recent releases improved or modified that ?