Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saturnine Aberrance
Sep 6, 2010

Creator.

Please make me flesh.

I'd also be very into a gangtag - just in time for the doom spiral surrounding the completely remade controls that annihilate a decade and a half of muscle memory for thousands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

one of my long-term plans for a gimmick fort is to make a tibetan-style monastery on some frozen mountain and connect a bunch of little buildings carved into the cliff face with bridges and poo poo.

one of the main barriers was that i would only want to accept devoutly religious male dwarves w/o family, and until semi-recently that would have meant murdering migrants to filter them out which wasn't really the vibe i was going for. now, however, you can create colonies of your main fortress and send dwarves there, so not only does it evade the murder issue it also imitates the real-life phenomenon of monasteries typically being mutually supported by a regular community anyways

You can already exile people. They leave the Fort abd never return.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe
Hell yeah, might as well replace the king killing association tag

I don't have any particular epic story I remember, but one thing among many that got me hooked on dwarf fortress was doing surgery on a warrior who'd been wounded in battle when my highest skilled surgeon was dabbling, and I happened to have the OR in my view when I saw he was loving around so much that blood got splashed all over the wall

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I need to pay someone to make an arena combatant compiler I guess I don't know poo poo about how to go about doing that

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

Said little bitch, you can't fuck with me if you wanted to
These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

I haven't played for years but I'm very excited for the Steam release.

I dug up a copy of the final 2D version I had saved last night, booted it up - and then realised that my current keyboard lacks a numpad so I'm missing a bunch of keybinds. Could I have rebound them? Maybe (genuine answer - I don't actually know) but I decided to push on anyway. Embarked, started to dig out a storeroom, forgot about the old system of needing roof supports and lost my only miner to a cave-in within about five minutes. It was as pure a DF experience as I've ever encountered and enough to tide me over until I can play the Steam version.

I will say, though, that despite a 5-10 year gap all of the hotkeys came back to me by muscle memory alone.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Valtonen posted:

You can already exile people. They leave the Fort abd never return.

yeah i know, when i say "recent" i mean "in like the past year or two"

Lemon
May 22, 2003

I'm so hyped for this and it just happened to coincide with a week off work!

The only thing that concerns me is that I've gotten so used to using the autodump feature from dfhack, I don't know if I'll be able to stand having boulders cluttering up my entire fortress again...

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I'm listening to the Dwarf Fortress Steam soundtrack on Apple Music now and holy crap is it amazing to listen to while working from home.

Also, Koganusan seems like an extended/enhanced version of the same track I've been listening to for years on Soundcloud. It's a fantastic track that's been made even better. Excellent choice for the Steam edition! :D

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

Bad Munki posted:

I'm going to purchase and install immediately, zero hour, and play furiously but clumsily through the weekend, and then peter out over the course of the following week and then go back to just lurking the thread. Dorf fortress!!

On-the-nose sarcasm aside, though, this is genuinely rad.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

i am furious this game isnt out for another day and a half

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Popete posted:

What is the maximum tag size?

180px wide, maybe 40 high? Minimal kb, like 5-6kb ideally, astral gets Unhappy if they are too big.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I would trade every tag I hold for the power of a dwarf tag

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

420 Gank Mid posted:

i am furious this game isnt out for another day and a half

It's really hosed up.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I thought it was tomorrow, this sucks

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
They changed it so underground farming needs you to breach the caverns now, right? NGL, it'll be a cool feeling to rely on surface foraging and hunting for your first year or so until you can muster enough muscle to deal with whatever bullshit's in there and start raising crops for realsies.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

why the gently caress are they pushing it back another day

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Don't games on steam normally release on Tuesdays?

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
That's a dumb day to release games

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

toasterwarrior posted:

They changed it so underground farming needs you to breach the caverns now, right? NGL, it'll be a cool feeling to rely on surface foraging and hunting for your first year or so until you can muster enough muscle to deal with whatever bullshit's in there and start raising crops for realsies.

Oh poo poo is this true? RIP embarking into the highest peak in the land

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015
I think you can farm underground without breaching the caverns just fine, just need to muddy the floors first like usual. Unless that's a recent change. Breaching the caverns will however 'seed' your fort for natural growth of cavern flora on eligible tiles, and thus is needed for making underground grazing areas.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
i wonder if theres been any updates to the modding side of things. df scripting was both extremely open and frustratingly limiting, you could create creatures made of eggshells and clouds but you couldn't do anything to make farming different without outside tools, that kind of thing.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Will there be any save compatibility with the new version?

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

sebmojo posted:

Nope

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I'm not going to have enough time for the release this week thanks to work.

I'm going to spend all my free time anyway.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

sebmojo posted:

180px wide, maybe 40 high? Minimal kb, like 5-6kb ideally, astral gets Unhappy if they are too big.

Thanks!

I'm probably the last person who should be making a tag but here is a mock up. Feedback very welcome, if anyone else wants to take a shot at it please do.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Hihohe posted:

I am instead gonna find the shittiest backwater place with probably no above ground resources and hope the stated "Shallow metal" isnt just Cassiterite all the way down like it always is.
Don't worry, you can always count on imported goblintie ore to get iron!

Lemon posted:

I'm so hyped for this and it just happened to coincide with a week off work!

The only thing that concerns me is that I've gotten so used to using the autodump feature from dfhack, I don't know if I'll be able to stand having boulders cluttering up my entire fortress again...

I bet a minecart powered quantum stockpile would still work.

Man, I have fond memories of the very first public release version. Figuring out that you could channel water from the outside riven and get farming up early. :allears:

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.
Breachikg UG is required for underground-native plants to start growing on your dirt. Planted seeeds grow even before that.

Breaching does not need to be permanent, you can open caves and seal them up later and spores will have travelled to your cave system so stuff will start sprouting in any dark/underground/dirt.

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Games, books, DVDs all release on Tuesdays. I used to know one alleged reason why, but it's been too long since I worked retail to remember, thank god.

My dwarf story is the time that I managed to build an anti-siege lavafall curtain I could deploy that would flow over my entry and down and out onto a floodplain in order to deal with sieges. Unfortunately, when I pulled the lever in the entry guard barracks, I swiftly realized I miscalculated something somewhere, and instead of the lava flowing OUT, it instead flowed IN, turning my fort's entry tunnel onto a highly efficient lava funnel. I desperately tried to deactivate the curtain, but the switch that would have closed it was now located on the other side of a fresh lava tube, with no connecting access. I tried to dig my way to safety, but the lava engulfed most of the dwarves huddled in a dining room, and tantrum spirals happened VERY swiftly after that

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

My dwarf story is every time I make a fort I inevitably go "I should make a reservoir for my fort" and then will inevitably forget how water mechanics work and flood my entire fort.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

sebmojo posted:

I'm pretty sure the answer has never been yes for a big update.

animist
Aug 28, 2018

Tiler Kiwi posted:

i wonder if theres been any updates to the modding side of things. df scripting was both extremely open and frustratingly limiting, you could create creatures made of eggshells and clouds but you couldn't do anything to make farming different without outside tools, that kind of thing.

You can do mods on the workshop and the packaging is a little nicer now, easier to layer mods, but it's the same kind of modding. No idea what dfhack / lazy newb pack etc are gonna do

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
my dwarf story is I start a fort and by the end of year two remember why I always DF hack in lava because getting wood for furnace fuel is tedious

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Gamerofthegame posted:

my dwarf story is I start a fort and by the end of year two remember why I always DF hack in lava because getting wood for furnace fuel is tedious

My dwarf story is trying a volcano forge like all my friends and losing my whole fort to lava sprites bc I didn't realize I needed to Grate it off.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

I read it’s gonna be 30 dollars? Totally worth it but I admit I’m surprised.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Surprised it isn't more, honestly. It took a long time to make and we can't really say for sure how many people will buy it.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

There's certainly thirty bucks worth of Content in this drat thing. Streamers may be able to get a lot of fruit out of this. If nothing else, you'll have more than the what, five? eight? people you get in Rimworld. And Z-levels!

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

animist posted:

You can do mods on the workshop and the packaging is a little nicer now, easier to layer mods, but it's the same kind of modding. No idea what dfhack / lazy newb pack etc are gonna do

i think steam lets you create mod bundles so i imagine the lnp will live on there

i dont think you can put up anything like dfhack on the workshop tho

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Hopefully all the UI enhancements from DFhack will no longer be needed. Hopefully there will also be less need for hacks like "cleanall" etc.

The modding system is specifically for TXT+graphics mods, to add or modify items, creatures and buildings in the game. I think I saw somewhere that even the base game is packaged in the same format, so if you have a mod that contains everything you can disable the base game data and use the mod as a total conversion.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

mercenarynuker posted:

Games, books, DVDs all release on Tuesdays. I used to know one alleged reason why, but it's been too long since I worked retail to remember, thank god.

My dwarf story is the time that I managed to build an anti-siege lavafall curtain I could deploy that would flow over my entry and down and out onto a floodplain in order to deal with sieges. Unfortunately, when I pulled the lever in the entry guard barracks, I swiftly realized I miscalculated something somewhere, and instead of the lava flowing OUT, it instead flowed IN, turning my fort's entry tunnel onto a highly efficient lava funnel. I desperately tried to deactivate the curtain, but the switch that would have closed it was now located on the other side of a fresh lava tube, with no connecting access. I tried to dig my way to safety, but the lava engulfed most of the dwarves huddled in a dining room, and tantrum spirals happened VERY swiftly after that

:discourse:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

nielsm posted:

Hopefully all the UI enhancements from DFhack will no longer be needed. Hopefully there will also be less need for hacks like "cleanall" etc.

The modding system is specifically for TXT+graphics mods, to add or modify items, creatures and buildings in the game. I think I saw somewhere that even the base game is packaged in the same format, so if you have a mod that contains everything you can disable the base game data and use the mod as a total conversion.

temper, temper

there's still plenty of the old mess to go around

I'm also fairly sure that uprooting the base raws will still leave all of the hardcoded stuff in, which continues to be a lot

TWBT should be obsoleted now though, thank goodness