Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Libluini posted:

I'm playing XB2 right now, and I'm hoping XB3 is even more simple, because XB2's combat system is giving me headaches sometimes. My brain just rejects stuff like how energy ball breaking works on principle.

Why r u telling me this, i dont care what you want i want what i want

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Im sorry, that was mean. I care what you want, i just heavily disagree with it

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

The Postman posted:

they should let me pay them to play symphony of the night on my switch

It's almost like they don't want my money or something.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Larryb posted:

I wouldn’t count on us getting voice acting in a Pokémon game any time soon (though weirdly enough the trailers/promos for SV had a ton of it), most likely because you can name your protagonist and everyone in the game refers to you by that name constantly

They solved this in another notable franchise's first game with VA by simply referring to the protagonist as "Link"

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

The Postman posted:

they should let me pay them to play symphony of the night on my switch

:hai:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Larryb posted:

I wouldn’t count on us getting voice acting in a Pokémon game any time soon (though weirdly enough the trailers/promos for SV had a ton of it), most likely because you can name your protagonist and everyone in the game refers to you by that name constantly

FFX let you name Tidus and they managed voice acting

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Len posted:

It also lead to the script being extremely awkward in English.

Although you can fix this poo poo by just having some sort of title that everyone calls you instead.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
that's our leader!! Way to go leader

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I feel like I really hosed up the tone in Persona 5 by naming my protagonist rear end Catchem

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Len posted:

Yes but nobody ever calls him by name in the voice acted scenes as a result

Alternatively they could do what Breath of the Wild did and just not let you name your character in that particular game

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Although you can fix this poo poo by just having some sort of title that everyone calls you instead.

“Hello Teacher” says every young person at Garreg Mach Monastery just like regular young people do

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Once again I say we just cut out voice acting from video games entirely

Keep the battle grunts n the yahoos and whatever, everything else can go

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
yeah i don't think pokemon particularly needs voice acting

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

The Maroon Hawk posted:

They solved this in another notable franchise's first game with VA by simply referring to the protagonist as "Link"

But what if my trainer isn't called Link??

Anyway while I'm not usually someone who always advocates for voice acting in games like this, with some of the cutscenes and such in ScarVio it was particularly jarring to have people yelling in almost complete silence. For dialog that's progressed with a press of the button, whatever, but otherwise it's really strange not to have someone talking.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Looper posted:

yeah i don't think pokemon particularly needs voice acting

Then how else will Gengar tell me he loves me?

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Morpheus posted:

Anyway while I'm not usually someone who always advocates for voice acting in games like this, with some of the cutscenes and such in ScarVio it was particularly jarring to have people yelling in almost complete silence. For dialog that's progressed with a press of the button, whatever, but otherwise it's really strange not to have someone talking.

BOTW seemed to strike a decent balance with this, using voice acting for all the big character expos and emotional stuff but then switching back to button-pressing for the go to this village, find so-and-so, I’ll meet you at so-and-so parts

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

oooooh! ahhhh. eeeeyay!

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Lady Yuna... Wakka... Lulu... STAR PLAYER OF THE ZANARKAND ABES... Rikku...

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Also gotta try and build a final team and it's gonna be tough chossing among new mons only:

you also have the option of not caring about type balance and just using whatever you like

having to deal with the last team star base while doggedly refusing to bring anything that isn't vulnerable to either fighting or rock or both is its own reward

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Xenoblade had the weird problem of the game's combat both feeling braindead simple but also knowing that there was stuff I wasn't doing right because the game was terrible about how it tutorialized its systems.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

DC Murderverse posted:

“Hello Teacher” says every young person at Garreg Mach Monastery just like regular young people do

You laugh but teaching English in France I either get called Teacher or Mister but never with my last name.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

100YrsofAttitude posted:

You laugh but teaching English in France I either get called Teacher or Mister but never with my last name.

Yup, totally common in many cultures.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

KingSlime posted:

Nah.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Morpheus posted:

Yeah I didn't really notice or care about the lack until the end with all the actual cutscenes. It just felt off somehow

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

The Maroon Hawk posted:

BOTW seemed to strike a decent balance with this, using voice acting for all the big character expos and emotional stuff but then switching back to button-pressing for the go to this village, find so-and-so, I’ll meet you at so-and-so parts

While I do appreciate BOTW for... Well, everything, a lot of characters sound like they're being pleasured offscreen.

I mean, that's the kind of Hyrule I'd want to live in.

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

Takoluka posted:

Lady Yuna... Wakka... Lulu... STAR PLAYER OF THE ZANARKAND ABES... Rikku...

Ever since I first played it I've had two questions: how can Tidus swim so well in hiking boots, and what the gently caress is an Abe?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

KingSlime posted:

no

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
All voice acting replaced with Star Fox voice acting

Toad King
Apr 23, 2008

Yeah, I'm the best

Non Compos Mentis posted:

All voice acting replaced with Star Fox voice acting

SNES Star Fox or N64 Star Fox?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Toad King posted:

SNES Star Fox or N64 Star Fox?

64 had proper voice acting so I assume they mean the SNES version

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

American McGay posted:

Lol this thread.

Whatever dude, I picked up LM3 on this thread's rec (someone called it their GOTY) and got burned so now I'm cursed to warn others, like a horror movie ghost of an unsolved murder victim that seems unchill but is actually helpful

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Inzombiac posted:

Then how else will Gengar tell me he loves me?

here you go

https://youtu.be/GyHAvuy2bvM?t=3

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Marx Headroom posted:

Whatever dude, I picked up LM3 on this thread's rec (someone called it their GOTY) and got burned so now I'm cursed to warn others, like a horror movie ghost of an unsolved murder victim that seems unchill but is actually helpful

You don't actually need to do this

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
have not tried it on switch but per Steam, the port of Elevator Action Returns has significantly better emulation/lack of input lag compared to the other City Connection Sega Saturn ports. anyone try it because i really want to get it if it isn't unplayably laggy

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Larryb posted:

64 had proper voice acting so I assume they mean the SNES version

Not true, the SNES-version had proper voice acting, too! Though, I gather that the Non-EU version of Lylat Wars used some incomprehensible Germanic language instead of proper Lylatian, that must have sounded awful.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

Feels Villeneuve posted:

have not tried it on switch but per Steam, the port of Elevator Action Returns has significantly better emulation/lack of input lag compared to the other City Connection Sega Saturn ports. anyone try it because i really want to get it if it isn't unplayably laggy

I don’t notice any lag but I also don’t notice the lag in the Mega Man Legacy collection so I’m not too sensitive to it

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i'm surprised they're emulating the Saturn version, idk if it's still the case but everything ive heard says emulating old arcade games is a lot easier than emulating Sega Saturn games

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Libluini posted:

Not true, the SNES-version had proper voice acting, too! Though, I gather that the Non-EU version of Lylat Wars used some incomprehensible Germanic language instead of proper Lylatian, that must have sounded awful.

Child me was very mad that they didn't call it Starwing 64

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Regy Rusty posted:

You don't actually need to do this

:justpost:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Libluini posted:

Technically you're actually correct now that I think about it (there was voice acting at the beginning when the Arwings are going through a tunnel, a conversation between Fox and General Pepper at the end, and of course a voice saying "Good Luck" when you start a level)