Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

sebmojo posted:

There is a list in the op, he's almost done!

drat, we're closer than I thought, these subforums have been flying by. You got this, OP! :patriot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

I'm catching up with some of your threads OP, you are doing well.

Post another thread in GBS and make it bad, and I'm sure a mod will put it in the toxic waste dump for +1 forums posted in

And at the end they better goldmine this +2

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
New thread is up! 🦇 Lesser-known Batman villains

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
New thread is 上! Translator note: "honyaku" means "translation"

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
📝 Travel update:

TFD is a place which explicitly forbids discussion, so I had to pick a film which did not already have a thread, but which people might watch and decide to write a review for. But even then, since they aren't replying to other posters, I'm not sure it matters. If you want to read random goon's opinions on movies, this is the place to be! I'm not sure how they stack up to reviews elsewhere, but there's probably some merit to it if you find yourself in agreement with particular goon's tastes in movies or if the ratings help you somehow.
It's interesting that this subforum has its own system for rating threads, which instead rates the movie. Though my own thread has been rated a few times without replies - did other people watch the movie -- or are they rating my review?

NMD is a pretty typical subforum as far as I can tell. It seems to be a good place to go if you find your song selection is getting a bit stale. It's also a place to be reminded that gbs.fm exists!

ML seems to be just as popular as its parent subforum. It has a lot of stickied threads - though I wonder if the threads would ever even leave the first page without the stickies. Otherwise it seems like a great place to get information or work with other musically-inclined goons.

I then reached PHIZ. It seems to be a more artistically-inclined version of GBS, though certainly much quieter - and perhaps a bit more relaxed. It's a nice place, and I think more posters should take a browse of its threads sometime.

CC has a lot of really interesting goon-made content. There are threads here for all levels and variety of artistic variety. There are information threads, showcase threads, daily-posting threads, and more. This is another subforum I recommend goons should check out at some point in their posting career.

I then arrived in TD. I was kind of surprised how many threads there were in this subforum. There's actually quite a bit of liveliness here and a mix of small and big threads.

BB is neither a large nor small subforum. It has a lot of threads with many of posts and views, so it seems goons are still reading books occasionally.
Unfortunately, my own thread has not seen many replies yet, but hopefully some more goons will drop by in time.
If you have a book you want to discuss (perhaps a certain novel by Jules Verne?), it's a good place to drop by!

Next up was TVIV. There are no gold threads here, and a lot of low-rated ones (though no 1-star threads either) - though it's hard to tell if that reflects goons' opinions of the thread or the show upon which the thread is based.
There are a lot of very specific threads here, so I'm not sure how often goons browse the thread list. Though on the other hand, my thread is doing pretty well, so at least a few goons are.

RGD is another pretty typical subforum. Almost all the threads are about specific podcasts. Even more of the threads here have ratings - and those ratings tend to be on the lower end.

BSS is pretty similar to the previous subforums. Somehow the threads here are even more often rated - and those ratings tend to actually be pretty high! There are even quite a few gold threads!

I then finally arrived in ADTRW. This subforum could be called something like my hometown. So far there has not been a lot of activity in my new thread; I'll leave the rest of my thoughts for the next report when my thread has had some more time.

Tomorrow, I will finally leave The Finer Arts and cross into the final continent of the forums, The Community.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Shadow0 posted:

📝 Travel update:

TFD

Woah, I don't think I have ever been to this forum. No idea it existed or had that sort of custom setup. Neat. Learn something new every decade.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Well, I was looking forward to posting a picture from abroad and telling everyone that while I've been traveling the forums, I've also been traveling the world, but it turns out there were some entry requirements I didn't know about until the night before the flight, so I had to change my flights. :cripes: 💸
Don't be like me, always remember to check on your embassy's website what visas and vaccinations you need for your destination and passthrough countries!
Hopefully that helps at least one person. Also, you probably forgot to buy/pack power outlet adapters.

Well, at least I'll be a lot less stressed finishing up this internet journey...

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
New thread is aloft! 🎈 Buying banner for thread

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
I've been curious about what you'd post in SA-Mart since the start of your journey. I can't really say I was surprised since I had no idea what it would be in the first place, but I think this is an excellent fit!

Do you plan on posting the banner at the top of the OP? Are you going to buy a banner ad for the thread? Maybe both?

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Spoggerific posted:

I've been curious about what you'd post in SA-Mart since the start of your journey. I can't really say I was surprised since I had no idea what it would be in the first place, but I think this is an excellent fit!

Do you plan on posting the banner at the top of the OP? Are you going to buy a banner ad for the thread? Maybe both?

Oh, you're right - it's not clear if it's supposed to be a banner ad or just something to top the thread. I'll go fix that.
I just wanted something for the top of the thread. It doesn't make much sense to advertise a thread right near the end anyway, haha.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
You can advertise it anyway and have more people learn about it :) plus this thread is gonna be memorialized in some way after it's all over

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Well, it turns out you can't make new threads in F&D! So onto the next one...

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
New thread is up! Transportation deals - rail passes, group discounts, and more!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Shadow0 posted:

Well, it turns out you can't make new threads in F&D! So onto the next one...

Astral fix this you are denying this goon their full achievement

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Rarity posted:

Astral fix this you are denying this goon their full achievement

I was actually worried about this because I'd probably have to rate someone on whatever I bought/sold in SA-Mart within a day, so I'm glad I don't have to pass judgement on anyone. My plan for the thread was just to announce that I would be passing judgement on someone eventually and then update it after the sale, but this works way better.

Cool Crew Chat Central tho...

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Shadow0 posted:

I was actually worried about this because I'd probably have to rate someone on whatever I bought/sold in SA-Mart within a day, so I'm glad I don't have to pass judgement on anyone. My plan for the thread was just to announce that I would be passing judgement on someone eventually and then update it after the sale, but this works way better.

Cool Crew Chat Central tho...

Clearly this thread needs to be moved to CCCC for a week before it gets preserved.

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

Arrrthritis posted:

Clearly this thread needs to be moved to CCCC for a week before it gets preserved.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
New thread is up! Earth

Green Wing
Oct 28, 2013

It's the only word they know, but it's such a big word for a tiny creature

I can't believe we're already in the customs and immigration queue at the airport of the forums. No disrespect to these very important sections but they do fit the feel of End Of A Long Journey.

Green Wing
Oct 28, 2013

It's the only word they know, but it's such a big word for a tiny creature

Excited to see what your technical query is going to be

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
New thread is oben! [Germany] Goontreffen

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Ha! Ok that rules

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
Ich hoffe Lowtax kommt. Kein Goonmet ohne den alten Richard!

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

IGgy IGsen posted:

Ich hoffe Lowtax kommt. Kein Goonmet ohne den alten Richard!

I actually meet him the last (and only) goon meet I went to. :)
I think it was also his last public appearance. :(
Maybe Jeffery can attend this one? :thunk:

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
I was stuck in a city with a sick relative a few years ago by myself. I hit up the LAN threads and booked lunch with a bunch of different goons randomly and ended up actually having a pretty nice time. Goon meets are p sweet. I think I'm up to like 8 or 9 goons I've met in meatspace.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Literally A Person posted:

I was stuck in a city with a sick relative a few years ago by myself. I hit up the LAN threads and booked lunch with a bunch of different goons randomly and ended up actually having a pretty nice time. Goon meets are p sweet. I think I'm up to like 8 or 9 goons I've met in meatspace.

I'm so sorry 😔

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
📝 Travel update:

ADTRW is a very active subforum with tons of threads covering all kinds of things with its own general chat thread and everything.
My own thread seems to be doing great. I had actually posted a similar thread many years ago with a more lukewarm response, so I'm glad to see this one doing so well.
A lot of goons list it as the worst subforum, but I highly suspect it's because of anti-anime bias rather than any bad experiences with the subforum itself.

SA-M is pretty neat. It's nice we have a place for goons to buy and sell things to each other. Almost all the threads are for selling, and I wonder if there's even enough goons checking SA-M regularly enough to have auctions. While you lose the much bigger visibility you get from posting an ad on a larger site, there's definitely more community here. It's definitely worth checking out every once in a while or if you're looking to buy something used.

(My original travel plan had included F&D, but when I arrived, I realized the gates were locked, and I couldn't make my own thread. I was a bit relieved since I didn't have anyone to give feedback on and hurriedly ran on to the next subforum.)

I then moved on to C&D. C&D is interesting. Almost all the threads are by a single goon. They are tirelessly working to provide all of us with great deals, even if many of their threads go without any replies at all. Though perhaps no replies are necessary. This might be the one subforum with more threads than replies. There are new threads most days, sometimes multiple times a day.
My own thread also has no replies. Still, I think it's a very good thread to those for whom it is applicable, and I hope people see it.

LAN is way more popular than I expected. Almost all the threads here are made by a specific account made for the purpose of making threads here, which makes sense since this is a subforum where making a new thread usually doesn't make sense. Though, with permission from the mod, I made my own.
I was shocked at how many goons were immediately participating. I had always assumed this subforum was a pretty quiet one, but it's actually really active. And I think that's quite lovely. It's a good place to check out to learn more about your region, if you're traveling to that region, or for making some friends in your area.

GM is very interesting. So far, it has been pretty quiet. I wonder how often people are coming to check this subforum. I suspect this is a place where people get directed to from other threads rather than just browse on their own. I may need to advertise my thread elsewhere. I, myself, have only been to one meet-up, which was posted to GBS actually.
There are a ton of locked threads here from past meet-ups, but also several reoccurring meet-up threads and some upcoming ones.
I also think it's interesting to see a rules thread older than my account. Even the edits are about as old as my account. I guess even after all this time, the rules they've had have worked for them there.
Again, I think it's also a lovely place, and I'm glad we have this subforum. I'm looking forward to the result of my thread in about a month, hopefully I can meet some nice goons.

Up next are the last few subforums of the forums.

Shadow0 fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Dec 9, 2022

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
A pox on anyone using a coupon or taking advantage of a deal! You will be the first against the wall when BYOB enacts justice! :argh:

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
New thread is up! The State of the Forums 2022

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Rarity posted:

A pox on anyone using a coupon or taking advantage of a deal! You will be the first against the wall when BYOB enacts justice! :argh:

:pwn:

Uh oh.

I think I posted in there like 5 years ago.

BYOB have mercy on me!

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

The Bananana posted:

BYOB have mercy on me!

Worry not for we know you have seen the error of your ways. An important point of reference is that in BYOB we believe in the true value of someone's labor and will not spend a penny less than what said labor is priced at! No deals, no coupons!

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Saoshyant posted:

Worry not for we know you have seen the error of your ways. An important point of reference is that in BYOB we believe in the true value of someone's labor and will not spend a penny less than what said labor is priced at! No deals, no coupons!

This makes sense considering their policy of bringing your own bear. :byobear: No freebies either. But I am slightly suspicious of this coming from a poster with a Coupons & Deals gang tag. :thunk:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
The spy was right there in front us this whole time...

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I see OP has wandered unaware into the land of Coupons & Deals - seemingly a blissful, peaceful place, but under the surface a villainous hive of scheming plots and treachery, a people gone mad with their desperation to hoard all deals unto themselves at any cost. I can only pray they survive to the end of their forums journey :ohdear:

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

LAN is a land of contrasts. The Chicago thread is great. A while back I was road tripping through New England and wanted a couple suggestions for COVID-safe stuff to do - a place to get lunch where we could eat outside somewhere cool, etc. The Boston thread is outwardly very hostile to tourists of any description, which is dumb, imo. The funny thing is I got multiple PMs from posters in there with good suggestions, including from one who had previously said "don't come here" in the thread

Sorry, Boston thread, you've got some tourist-loving softies in there. Oh, and the Cheese Shop in Concord did in fact kick rear end, thank you goon.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Sounds like they just hate Boston tbh

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Rarity posted:

Sounds like they just hate Boston tbh

You're not wrong but :wrongcity:

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
By popular demand, here are the PMs I sent when I saw my IZ probation, enjoy:

Title: y u do this?

Shadow0 posted:

I'm maintaining 53 other threads
Running a DnD game in TG
I've got to watch a movie for CD
Exercise for TFLC
Edit a video for LP
Making bacon drinks for GWS
And I haven't even started on my project for p.l
And now I've got 100+ posts to read through because IZ happens to be the one and only subforum where everyone liked my thread
I also liked my thread; I want to post in my thread
But I've got all this while I've still got so much other stuff going on in my life
It's been like 2 days
I'm got so much stress for all these threads
If you wanted me to post, why stop me from doing that???
Please
PLEASE
i'm dying

Sorry, I'm just really, really stressed.

Shadow0 posted:

Sorry, I don't want to sound like I'm mad at you. Certainly not! I don't expect you to know what's going on in my life. Just "I don't think you're posting enough" triggered me a bit. Sorry!

I realize now I made typos :( *I've *from

It wasn't supposed to be so serious, though I'm not always the best at capturing my thoughts I guess. I should have just shared it earlier so it didn't get so much hype around it (or obviously just not sent anything - that would have been good).

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
big cringe my dude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Larry Parrish posted:

big cringe my dude

Don't sign your posts