Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

There are already spiders the size of crabs and people already eat them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

A very smart little mouse!
I've never eaten a spider on purpose but I do know that King Crab, which is not known to science as a "true crab" is the tastiest crab.

I'm also a big fan of steamed clams

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

OwlFancier posted:

What has science done

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

Data Graham posted:

What has science done

i will let another person explain the phenomenon known as "carcinization" and if no one does I believe there is a wikipedia article but the gist of it is Crabs

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

BasicLich posted:

I've never eaten a spider on purpose but I do know that King Crab, which is not known to science as a "true crab" is the tastiest crab.

I'm also a big fan of steamed clams

King crab, dungeness crab, and blue crab are pretty much tied in my book, and all tastier than lobster. And that concludes my hot derail take.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

OwlFancier posted:

the image that stays with me from the National Geographic special I saw is one guy afterwards picking his teeth with a fang.

it's Large Marge's birthday:

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

post ITT if you have ever heard of Langoustines

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

BasicLich posted:

Yeah I'm always a bit nervous about them whenever I'm at an airport

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

Data Graham posted:

Yeah I'm always a bit nervous about them whenever I'm at an airport

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

What you don't mean these things?

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

just because I'm Balki from Perfect Strangers and I like to tear papers into thin strips doesn't mean I have tried to murder a blind clairvoyant with a steak knife

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

Hermsgervørden posted:

I saw dickbutt in a cloud today. I couldn’t take a picture because I was driving a bus, but I saw it and it was real and I will speak my truth.

I thought you meant the other type of cloud for a moment..

Dickbutt-as-a-service

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

This is gonna be weird, but a friend of mine got killed a long time ago in his car in the parking lot after a 13 hour restaurant shift and I've always felt that genuinely made it just a little bit worse.

Pandaal
Mar 7, 2020

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

I am convinced that if giant spiders existed they would taste like crab, and I will die on this hill.

Sometimes we don’t share things like this.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

One More Fat Nerd posted:

This is gonna be weird, but a friend of mine got killed a long time ago in his car in the parking lot after a 13 hour restaurant shift and I've always felt that genuinely made it just a little bit worse.

I think I'd have to agree. It just seems WRONG somehow.

The Roman emperor Otho committed suicide, but only after having a good night's sleep first and I think I see his point,

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Glottis posted:

King crab, dungeness crab, and blue crab are pretty much tied in my book, and all tastier than lobster. And that concludes my hot derail take.

Lol I just had the dental hygienist go on a 15-minute monologue about her careful studied rankings of various types of crabs, she said blue crab is meh but king is S-tier

I contributed meaningfully with occasional "AAhhhh" and "mmmghnn" noises

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I'm not actually much of a crab guy but its always funny when you go to the higher end buffets in like hotels or whatever and theres the dude with 20 linear feet of king crab legs draped over his plate. Our implements aren't designed for yards of food.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I thought lobster was considered prison food because it spoiled so quickly when out of the water & properly keeping them alive before cooking wasn't a thing yet. Also it's abundance in New England so they just gave it away.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Data Graham posted:

Lol I just had the dental hygienist go on a 15-minute monologue about her careful studied rankings of various types of crabs, she said blue crab is meh but king is S-tier

I contributed meaningfully with occasional "AAhhhh" and "mmmghnn" noises

Don't you just hate that?

They know. You know they know. They know you know they know.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Amphigory posted:

I thought you meant the other type of cloud for a moment..

Dickbutt-as-a-service

69.9999% guaranteed uptime

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

I am convinced that if giant spiders existed they would taste like crab, and I will die on this hill.

I ate a whole roasted tarantula as an insect-burger garnish in Cambodia at a really cool restaurant (Friends, the charity restaurant ran by former street children that teaches current street children the trade).

The legs tasted like crunchy nothing, and the abdomen/big ol booty tasted like a cheap, oily cut of beef. Like something you'd buy cubed for cheap and throw in a stew.

The fried crickets were much better, tasted a bit like nuts. I can't remember what bugs made up the patty but it was like a veggie burger with a lot more umami. I've never craved it since, but it was nice!

Pandaal
Mar 7, 2020

Samfucius posted:

I ate a whole roasted tarantula as an insect-burger garnish in Cambodia at a really cool restaurant (Friends, the charity restaurant ran by former street children that teaches current street children the trade).

The legs tasted like crunchy nothing, and the abdomen/big ol booty tasted like a cheap, oily cut of beef. Like something you'd buy cubed for cheap and throw in a stew.

The fried crickets were much better, tasted a bit like nuts. I can't remember what bugs made up the patty but it was like a veggie burger with a lot more umami. I've never craved it since, but it was nice!

I know the doomposter meme about “eat your bugs” and whatnot but no matter how bad it gets I will never eat a big fuzzy rear end spider. Lots of little ones, or the crickets you mentioned sure.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

It's not fuzzy once you're done cooking it. The fuzz Burns off real quick

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

sounds like they taste like the oil you fry them in

not necessarily a bad thing

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
What if they mashed up the bugs and compressed them into little dinosaur shapes then breaded and fried them? Would goons be fine with bug nuggies?

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.

CainFortea posted:

It's not fuzzy once you're done cooking it. The fuzz Burns off real quick

Exactly. It looked a bit like the crispy skin from Peking duck, bit darker. Not a bit of hair to be found.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Spanish Manlove posted:

What if they mashed up the bugs and compressed them into little dinosaur shapes then breaded and fried them? Would goons be fine with bug nuggies?

I ate meal worm patties once, they were unremarkable

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎
The ocean is for pissing and making GBS threads in, don’t eat things out of it

Pandaal
Mar 7, 2020

Spanish Manlove posted:

:mmmhmm:

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Artemis J Brassnuts posted:

The ocean is for pissing and making GBS threads in, don’t eat things out of it

You forgot about the car batteries, Artemis J Brassnuts.

Or should I say, MR. AUTOZONE!?

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Spider carapace has the texture of egg shells unfortunately. Otherwise yeah they taste like the oil they're cooked in.

MyronMulch
Nov 12, 2006

BasicLich posted:

there's a similar story about Rome and an alleged delicacy in the form of a giant bottom feeder who lived in their sewers

the sewers were in fact first built atop an ancient swamp so it's not exactly outside the realm of possibility

Is this the hip new way of talking about someone who eats rear end?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

BasicLich posted:

What's a Langoustine?

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

MyronMulch posted:

Is this the hip new way of talking about someone who eats rear end?

Cardi B actually issued an apology to the rear end eating community for making this pun.

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎

One More Fat Nerd posted:

You forgot about the car batteries, Artemis J Brassnuts.

Or should I say, MR. AUTOZONE!?

I’ll shitpost about a lot of things but for some reason the “throwing car batteries into the ocean” meme actually bothers me. Like, it’s just banal enough for someone to actually start doing as a laugh and the earth is already quite messed up.

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

Kheldarn posted:

What's a Langoustine?

Something Lowtax was a big fan of.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
but its a perfectly legal thrill

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Artemis J Brassnuts posted:

I’ll shitpost about a lot of things but for some reason the “throwing car batteries into the ocean” meme actually bothers me.

It’s a perfectly safe and legal option.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Kheldarn posted:

What's a Langoustine?

Not much, what’s a langoustine with you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Kheldarn posted:

What's a Langoustine?
You might be thinking of a lowtangostine, which is when you get a fruit straw mixed up with the barrel of a .45

E: both will blow your mind.