Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your 2022 MVP?
This poll is closed.
Shohei Ohtani 50 59.52%
Aaron Judge 19 22.62%
Hey, the national league has an MVP too you know! 15 17.86%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Albert Spalding
Candy Cummings
Jackie Robinson
Babe Ruth
Branch Rickey (cheating here but he did play)
Martin Dihigo
Tommy John
Ichiro Suzuki
Curt Flood
Jose Canseco

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

mcmagic posted:

Who cares at this point. There are a bunch of players who are in who don’t belong and guys who will never get in who do. Why give Schilling any satisfaction? He’s a scumbag.

Because subjective ideas about what makes someone good or bad is a deeply stupid reason to keep someone out of an institution that has Ty loving Cobb in it.

Put people in because they were good at baseball. If you care about cheating directly related to baseball, make sure you take out all the spitballers and greenie users and then that's fine. If you won't do that, put the modern PED users in too. Stop injecting criteria that aren't "was good at baseball" into HoF membership, or, if you're going to insist on it because of the dumb character clause, be loving consistent about it.

What we're building right now is a HoF that has giant holes where the history of the game ought to be. Schilling is just the most obvious current example, I do not intend to go on a personal crusade to get him in.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Just put Schilling in as soon as he's dead. If you do it while he's alive he'll try to leverage it as another avenue to signal boost his nazi poo poo.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Timby posted:

Hello there, Mr. Sandberg.

I’m old enough to remember the rumors that Palmeiro was shipped to Texas for having violated the sanctity of the now former Mrs. Sandberg, so that was probably a fun presentation. If I remember correctly, even Andre Dawson publicly said they traded the wrong first baseman.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

fast cars loose anus posted:

Because subjective ideas about what makes someone good or bad is a deeply stupid reason to keep someone out of an institution that has Ty loving Cobb in it.

Put people in because they were good at baseball. If you care about cheating directly related to baseball, make sure you take out all the spitballers and greenie users and then that's fine. If you won't do that, put the modern PED users in too. Stop injecting criteria that aren't "was good at baseball" into HoF membership, or, if you're going to insist on it because of the dumb character clause, be loving consistent about it.

What we're building right now is a HoF that has giant holes where the history of the game ought to be. Schilling is just the most obvious current example, I do not intend to go on a personal crusade to get him in.

:yeah:

Clarence
May 3, 2012

Question as a baseball neophyte - why does nobody have Cy Young in their list of ten?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Schilling shouldn’t get into the Hall while he’s alive because he’s a piece of poo poo. He also shouldn’t get into the Hall after he’s dead because it’ll continue to make people who secretly like him mad and that’s the funniest thing.

I’m perfectly fine with Cooperstown ignoring his existence because trying to hold it as some sacred archive of definitive baseball history will always be a fool’s errand.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Clarence posted:

Question as a baseball neophyte - why does nobody have Cy Young in their list of ten?

Not to speak for others, but my guess is that because most people are approaching those lists through the lenses of a) players I like and were on the team I root for, and b) players whose careers started or encapsulate a major pivot within the history of the sport itself. Yeah Ruth was one of if not the best to ever hit, but he also kicked off the live ball era. Flood isn't a HOF player, but his struggles against the owners is what ultimately created the modern concept of free agency. Etc etc.

Cy Young was by all accounts and stats a phenomenal pitcher, but it was in an era when pitching was already dominant and the game fundamentally different. A lot of his records were set in such a bygone era that that even the most talented modern pitcher on the planet cannot possibly hope to scratch them. A modern pitcher would need to post 16 consecutive seasons going 32-0, or start 32 games a season for 26 seasons to break some of Cy's records, as an example. That just isn't how the game works these days. It's also that he didn't do anything in particular that majorly pushed the sport forward. Cy's career is incredible, but not comparable to Ruth ushering in the live ball era, Jackie breaking the color barrier, Flood ushering in the concept of modern free agency, etc.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
If I had to pick ten players, within the context of me trying to convey the history of the sport through those players and how they changed it and completely independent of fan bias, it would probably be something like:

Ruth: Ushering in the modern era of baseball, the sport was largely unrecognizable to modern audiences before the Bambino.
Gehrig: Another "modern" hitter who changed the game through his prowess. His battle with ALS and the sport's response is also a major pillar of MLB history.
Williams: A great player to use as a starting point for talking about the origins of the shift, also the godfather of applying science to the idea of hitting.
Robinson: Broke the MLB color barrier and through his success helped the eventual full integration of the league. Also a phenomenal player in their own right.
Flood: Essentially laid the groundwork for the modern free agency system via his tenacity in suing MLB. Also a good player.
Johnson: Essentially laid the groundwork for the "modern" pitcher a decade plus in advance, throwing high velo up in the zone combined with nasty breaking stuff.
Bonds: The greatest hitter in history, steroids or not, fight me. Essentially was the quintessential perfect "modern" hitter who had power and patience, and really hammered home the idea that walks didn't "clog the bases"
Sosa/McGwire: I'm cheating by putting two guys into one slot, but the 98' home run chase saved the sport from a premature depth, created a whole new audience of young fans, and really ignited the scrutiny into the steroid era.
Ichiro: A fully international player who came over and shattered the idea in MLB that the best players can only be produced domestically or in South America with the help of domestic coaches/scouts. There was legitimately a period where the best baseball player on the planet was a Japanese guy who'd gotten zero help from MLB folks.
Trout: A legitimate top 5 player of all time who later fans will look back on as one of the all time greats, under appreciated in his time because he spent his career on a team that was utter dogshit.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Rube should be on every single list

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Rube should be on every single list

:emptyquote:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

You guys know all that evil Ty Cobb stuff was made up by his charlatan of a biographer

As far as actual evil players, as well as one of the ten players everyone should know about because he was instrumental in creating the color division: Cap Anson

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
If there’s one major difference in the game compared to ~20 years ago it’s got to be the transition to shorter SP outings and more aggressive bullpen usage. Not sure who I’d pick to illustrate that change. First instinct would probably be a lockdown closer but I don’t really think that does the trick

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

GalacticAcid posted:

If there’s one major difference in the game compared to ~20 years ago it’s got to be the transition to shorter SP outings and more aggressive bullpen usage. Not sure who I’d pick to illustrate that change. First instinct would probably be a lockdown closer but I don’t really think that does the trick

That shift is very strongly linked to the Royals in my head. The 2014 ones in particular used their bullpen much more in the modern 'hey get to the 6th and we have 3 lockdown guys behind you'.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Wade Davis, one of the top 10 most important baseball players of all time

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

The HOF is above all else a museum, right? Museums exist to teach both the good and bad parts of history. Keep all the old criminals and bigots in, keep the new criminals and bigots out and use their faults and how they were overlooked in the past and less overlooked later to exhibit the cultural change surrounding and within the sport. I don’t personally consider PED or suspected PED usage criminal in that type of context and if the numbers say they should go in then they should.

I realize that’s a gross oversimplification and where the line is drawn will vary from person to person, but the Hall has a duty to teach the whole history of the sport IMO.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Lots of MAGA deGrom takes out there. The NY fan-base is coalescing around the 'redneck who never really wanted to play in the big city' narrative.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

It's not like the Hall has completely excised these guys from baseball history. You can go there and see the bloody sock, there's a whole rear end display about Bonds and the home run record chase. They just aren't in the room with all the plaques.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

howe_sam posted:

It's not like the Hall has completely excised these guys from baseball history. You can go there and see the bloody sock, there's a whole rear end display about Bonds and the home run record chase. They just aren't in the room with all the plaques.

that's the most important room

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Schilling is 100% NOT a bigger hole than Bonds, Arod, Manny and Clemens. Come on.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

howe_sam posted:

I will keep saying this until I'm in the ground: The actual hall is by far the least interesting part of the Hall Of Fame anyway.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

mcmagic posted:

Schilling is 100% NOT a bigger hole than Bonds, Arod, Manny and Clemens. Come on.

he absolutely is

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Yeah I’m gonna say the omission of the guy with the most MVPs ever and the guy with the most Cy Young’s ever are more egregious than the omission of the nazi with the ketchup sock.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Chief McHeath posted:

The HOF is above all else a museum, right? Museums exist to teach both the good and bad parts of history. Keep all the old criminals and bigots in, keep the new criminals and bigots out and use their faults and how they were overlooked in the past and less overlooked later to exhibit the cultural change surrounding and within the sport. I don’t personally consider PED or suspected PED usage criminal in that type of context and if the numbers say they should go in then they should.

I realize that’s a gross oversimplification and where the line is drawn will vary from person to person, but the Hall has a duty to teach the whole history of the sport IMO.

Induction into the HoF is supposed to honour the person which means it isn't simply a museum. It's bound up with various ideas about what baseball is supposed to be about, and what virtues baseball players are supposed to display. I think the cases for keeping out Bonds and Clemens are still naff, but I think the background ideas are at least (potentially) coherent.

(This is also putting aside some of the trickier issues that museums face even when they're presenting "mere" history.)

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

bawfuls posted:

Yeah I’m gonna say the omission of the guy with the most MVPs ever and the guy with the most Cy Young’s ever are more egregious than the omission of the nazi with the ketchup sock.

don't forget relocating a bunch of people to Rhode Island for his game company and then declaring bankruptcy shortly after leaving them (and the state) high and dry

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I'm bored where are the deals

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

mcmagic posted:

he is a bigger rear end hole

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

IcePhoenix posted:

he absolutely is

You are literally insane. Bonds is the best hitter of all time not named Babe Ruth. Arod, Manny and Clemens were all MUCH better players at their positions than Schilling.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
lol they thought you meant a-hole

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

IcePhoenix posted:

don't forget relocating a bunch of people to Rhode Island for his game company and then declaring bankruptcy shortly after leaving them (and the state) high and dry
mcmagic's post is phrased a bit awkwardly but he wasn't saying Bonds/Clemens are the biggest assholes, rather that they're the more ridiculous omissions from the HoF. It makes sense in context of the post he quoted.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Intruder posted:

lol they thought you meant a-hole

lol OK but even then that is debatable.... Bonds did a little light domestic violence, right?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

mcmagic posted:

You are literally insane. Bonds is the best hitter of all time not named Babe Ruth. Arod, Manny and Clemens were all MUCH better players at their positions than Schilling.

what does this have to do with being a racist rear end in a top hat

bawfuls posted:

mcmagic's post is phrased a bit awkwardly but he wasn't saying Bonds/Clemens are the biggest assholes, rather that they're the more ridiculous omissions from the HoF. It makes sense in context of the post he quoted.

ok this is a given so I suppose it didn't occur to me that it needed to be said

mcmagic posted:

lol OK but even then that is debatable.... Bonds did a little light domestic violence, right?

Schilling's garbage is way worse than DV (DV is still very bad) imo

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

and Clemens did a little light grooming

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Poque posted:

I'm bored where are the deals

what you don't like this entertaining hall of fame chat???

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

we already had one of the top three free agents sign and no one cared because it was with the Rangers :shrug:

e: well I guess top 3 is subjective and this is a very strong FA class so some might not consider him top 3

top 3 pitchers though for sure

Eldoop
Jul 29, 2012

Cheeky? Us?
Why, I never!
These men have simply not displayed the hinkaku necessary to become a yakyuuzuna

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

This is going to be like last season where most people are waiting for the big domino to fall that sets the market for everyone else outside when someone signs because they got an insane deal for them

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Free agency news - Rodon to PIT. Judge to PIT.

Trade news - Lance Lynn to PIT, Sean Murphy to PIT.

Not much else to report, slow day otherwise

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

mcmagic posted:

In all that time it is possible, maybe unlikely but still possible, Bonds has cleaned his act up. I can't remember the last time I heard anything about him besides that he rides his bicycle a lot.

Schilling we know for sure is still a giant shitbag, and he's done nothing but double and triple down on it every chance he gets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

IcePhoenix posted:

ok this is a given so I suppose it didn't occur to me that it needed to be said
mcmagic was agreeing with you in response to fast cars loose anus